PDA

View Full Version : Huge Weapons (PF)

Ninjabob
2012-01-18, 11:38 PM
Hello Playgrounders. I'm gonna be playing a ranger in a game soon, and I've devised a devious plan to hit like a truck.

Rangers are the only ones who can cast this spell (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/l/lead-blades). If using a medium greatsword, that would bring damage up to 3d6. However, I'm hoping to get enlarge person cast on me also. That would bring my weapon to be counted as huge for damage rolls.

Despite my searching, I have been unable to find damage adjustment to huge weapons. I'd assume that it goes up to 4d6, seeing as falling damage does something similar.

Do any of you have any idea where to find this information, or at least give me your opinions on the matter. Thanks.

herrhauptmann
2012-01-18, 11:48 PM
It seems similar to this chart: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/weapons.htm#weaponSize
(bastard sword line seems different though)
So I'd suggest using that.
3.5 rules:
Psionic expansion, with an overchannel gets 2 size boosts (doesn't stack with enlarge) WOrks on non-humanoids, unlike enlarge person.
Gold weapons from magic of faerun make weapons hit as if 1 size larger. Ignore the chart, it was written for 3.0, and makes little or no sense in 3.5
Strong arm bracers make it possible to wield a weapon 1 size larger as well.

So gold, bracers, ranger spell, enlarge person: That's 4 size increases off of normal.

Ninjabob
2012-01-18, 11:54 PM
A little excessive. I like it. I don't think my DM will. :smallcool:

Thanks for the help.

grarrrg
2012-01-19, 12:12 AM
Use this (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/monster-feats/improved-natural-attack)

It's the Improved Natural Attack (Monster) feat.
It includes damage scaling.

...Damage dice increase as follows: 1d2, 1d3, 1d4, 1d6, 1d8, 2d6, 3d6, 4d6, 6d6, 8d6, 12d6.

Medium > Huge is two steps.
So 2d6 > 4d6

Laniius
2012-01-19, 12:22 AM
Are you only in the ranger for that spell? Be the titan mauler barbarian, cast that spell on yourself via a wand.

herrhauptmann
2012-01-19, 12:32 PM
A little excessive. I like it. I don't think my DM will. :smallcool:

Thanks for the help.

Oh yes, before I forget, careful about getting too big.
Reach is good, size is good. Both are better. But melee really needs to power attack to be effective (simplest build).
But if you can't fit in the dungeon crawl, all that power has no use whatsoever. And if you're too big, you'll take significant size penalties just to hit, penalties that you can't negate with shocktrooper.

ericgrau
2012-01-19, 01:02 PM
The thing with both spells is that they're a minute per level. So often you cast one or both of them during combat. 2 rounds is a long time in combat, much of the fight will be over and it may even be moving on to cleanup already. And all that time you weren't dealing damage. And what do you get out of it? 1d6 for each turn you sacrificed. It might be 5-7 turns before you break even on that, and you'll be lucky if there are more than 2 meaningful rounds left in the fight. Even then the earlier rounds you missed were more meaningful to the outcome of the fight than those 2.

What works better is to save 1 or 2 spells for a buffing round if you get it, or skip the buff if you don't have time. Out of the 2 lead blades is probably nicer than enlarge person because it doesn't carry an AC penalty and you can still fight in small spaces. Then you save a couple potions of enlarge person for those rare fights where you get two buffs. Blowing chump change on rarely used potions is far cheaper than dipping another class too. Also consider potion(s) of protection from evil.

Longer lasting size boosts also work, but I dunno what's available in Pathfinder.

grarrrg
2012-01-19, 01:55 PM
The thing with both spells is that they're a minute per level. So often you cast one or both of them during combat. 2 rounds is a long time in combat....

Longer lasting size boosts also work, but I dunno what's available in Pathfinder.

Living Monolith (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/other-paizo/i-m/living-monolith) PrC springs to mind.

Rangers already have the Endurance Feat, all you have to do is grab Iron Will and you're in.

At FIRST level it get _3_/day SWIFT action Enlarge Person, with a caster level of _6_.

Feel free to ignore the other 9 levels of Living Monolith.

Ninjabob
2012-01-19, 03:58 PM
The thing with both spells is that they're a minute per level.

I'm planning on getting the wizard to take care of that for me. So its a round of buffing at the start of the battle.

And I've never seen that PrC before. Its pretty neat.

Thanks for the help everyone.