PDA

View Full Version : Celebrity GPS Narrators

The Durvin
2012-01-19, 12:12 AM
If you could have any voice for your GPS/talking smart-phone/other electronic helper device, who would it be? The consensus among my friends is Morgan Freeman, although one guy really wanted Danny Trejo. I can imagine it now: "Where the f*** you going, ese? Rerouting or whatever...jackass." I never could come up with one...maybe the original voice of Soundwave from the Transformers cartoon? Peter Cullen, for that matter? Maybe HAL 9000..."I'm sorry, sir, you can't go that way."

LaZodiac
2012-01-19, 12:20 AM
George Takei. For serious.

Ravens_cry
2012-01-19, 12:24 AM
Oh my . . .!
Just don't get Mark Hamill. I don't want that Joker giving me directions.

LaZodiac
2012-01-19, 12:31 AM
Oh my . . .!
Just don't get Mark Hamill. I don't want that Joker giving me directions.

If they made a Mark Hamill as Luke Skywalker as a GPS, it has to turn off by saying "You've turned off your targetting computer. Is something wrong?"

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2012-01-19, 12:49 AM
Brian Blessed.

It exists.

Brain Blessed SatNav. Look it up.

Castaras
2012-01-19, 03:37 AM
Brian Blessed.

It exists.

Yep.

DRIVE, my hawkmen, DRIVE!

Manga Shoggoth
2012-01-19, 04:31 AM
I understand that the Stig from the Top Gear sound set is quite good.

Objection
2012-01-19, 06:30 AM
I understand that the Stig from the Top Gear sound set is quite good.

Yes. Very yes. Or if they can't get him, I'm sure another one of the Top Gear team could fill in for him. Jeremy Clarkson anyone?

Feytalist
2012-01-19, 06:45 AM
Eddie Izzard has one. It's supposedly quite good.

I'd like one in the voice of Foamy the Squirrel.

Mauve Shirt
2012-01-19, 06:49 AM
GLaDOS, of course!

Manga Shoggoth
2012-01-19, 08:23 AM
Yes. Very yes. Or if they can't get him, I'm sure another one of the Top Gear team could fill in for him. Jeremy Clarkson anyone?

There is a school of thought that Clarkson would do well to emulate the Stig in the voice department...

Mazeburn
2012-01-19, 08:32 AM
GLaDOS, of course!

On that note, how about HAL? :D

Asta Kask
2012-01-19, 08:39 AM
David Attenborough.

Mercenary Pen
2012-01-19, 09:18 AM

I'd generally prefer Hammond over Clarkson pretty much all the time- occasionally I find myself in a mood where I would prefer May over Clarkson, but that's pretty rare...

Objection
2012-01-19, 09:43 AM
James May? Good luck getting to your intended destination.

Mercenary Pen
2012-01-19, 09:49 AM
James May? Good luck getting to your intended destination.

Before the end of the world you mean?:smallwink:

Lord Raziere
2012-01-19, 10:16 AM
…….

Ryoga Hibiki.

You can just taste the irony.

Cespenar
2012-01-19, 10:33 AM
Stephen Fry?

LaZodiac
2012-01-19, 10:54 AM
I'd generally prefer Hammond over Clarkson pretty much all the time- occasionally I find myself in a mood where I would prefer May over Clarkson, but that's pretty rare...

Gonna deviate the discussion to fangasm over you Khystria avatar. Oh my god aaaaaaaaah.

Speaking of, if anime characters would count for this topic, I'd also consider picking the pilot of the Khystria, Merida Cruz (assuming that is her name. It's been awhile X_X)

The Succubus
2012-01-19, 11:07 AM
Gonna deviate the discussion to fangasm over you Khystria avatar. Oh my god aaaaaaaaah.

Speaking of, if anime characters would count for this topic, I'd also consider picking the pilot of the Khystria, Merida Cruz (assuming that is her name. It's been awhile X_X)

That's what it is? I always thought is was the Green Weapon from FFVII. :smallconfused:

Scarlet Knight
2012-01-19, 11:27 AM
The Muppets: "Bear left." "Right frog!"

Asta Kask
2012-01-19, 11:33 AM
Stephen Fry?

You could have alternating Stephen Fry and Brian Blessed.

Mono Vertigo
2012-01-19, 11:40 AM
GLaDOS, of course!
Or Wheatley.
Reaching my destination safely is overrated.

LaZodiac
2012-01-19, 11:42 AM
That's what it is? I always thought is was the Green Weapon from FFVII. :smallconfused:

It does kiiinda look like the Emerald weapon, but it is not.

If internet celebrities count, how about Noah Antwieler? Go the wrong way, he shouts "YOU FOOL!"

Cespenar
2012-01-19, 11:45 AM
You could have alternating Stephen Fry and Brian Blessed.

There can be only one!

Anyway, the summarized answer to this thread is: Someone sophisticated and British. :smalltongue:

Asta Kask
2012-01-19, 12:01 PM
Richard Dawkins?

Unofrtunately we can't get Christopher Hitchens... :smallfrown:

The Durvin
2012-01-19, 12:03 PM
Brian Blessed.

It exists.

Awmygawd. I totally told my buds Brian Blessed, and none of them knew who he was, and I forgot to say. Yes, Brian Blessed would be perfect. Although it might get a little loud in the car...

Anyway, the summarized answer to this thread is: Someone sophisticated and British.

Pretty much. I liked David Attenborough; Patrick Stewart too. I wonder why upper-class British men seem like the best choice here. How about Tim Curry...it could even give you the option of switching between his normal voice, Dr. Frankenfurter, and Nigel Thornberry.

Any women you'd consider? I just ask because this was originally brainstorming/research for a novel I was writing, and I feel like I ought to be gender-balanced.

Asta Kask
2012-01-19, 12:08 PM
I changed my mind. I want this man.

http://images.sodahead.com/profiles/0/0/2/4/7/3/2/0/9/diggory-snape-51100956578.jpeg

The Glyphstone
2012-01-19, 12:13 PM
Gandalf?

"Drive, you fools!"

polity4life
2012-01-19, 12:23 PM
I would have been taken in by a Bill Hicks GPS, but then I may have ended up driving into a river voluntarily.

Tengu_temp
2012-01-19, 12:27 PM
Norio Wakamoto, the emperor of hams. Bonus points for already existing (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lzG9MnkVlA). Just translate it to delightful Engrish and we're done.

WalkingTarget
2012-01-19, 12:29 PM
We're casting the voice of a "guide" of some sort? Peter Jones (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Jones_%28actor%29), too bad he's dead. I suppose Stephen Fry will do.

TheThan
2012-01-19, 12:37 PM
I’m disappointed that nobody have mentioned Christopher Walken yet. Face it, he’d be awesome as a satnav voice.

Arminius
2012-01-19, 12:41 PM
Darth Vader, especially if you miss a turn. "I find your lack of left turns disturbing."

Tengu_temp
2012-01-19, 01:03 PM
I’m disappointed that nobody have mentioned Christopher Walken yet. Face it, he’d be awesome as a satnav voice.

This, I can't argue with.

Tirian
2012-01-19, 01:39 PM
Any women you'd consider? I just ask because this was originally brainstorming/research for a novel I was writing, and I feel like I ought to be gender-balanced.

Alas, Majel Barrett is unavailable. :smallfrown:

Objection
2012-01-19, 02:38 PM

http://images.sodahead.com/profiles/0/0/2/4/7/3/2/0/9/diggory-snape-51100956578.jpeg

Yes. Very yes.

I don't think any more needs to be said.

Riverdance
2012-01-19, 06:43 PM
Their actually is a celebrity GPS. It has a lot of "famous" voices on it. Unfortunately the only one I know to be on it is Snoop Dogg.

Also +1 @Objection directly above (and through Objection Asta Kask).

Mercenary Pen
2012-01-19, 06:47 PM

I think you mean Kshatriya avatar. (as done for an avatar theme week a year or so back)

Gundam unicorn spoilers Re: Name
and yes the name is Marida Cruz
or originally Puru (or however else you want to spell it) twelve.

LaZodiac
2012-01-19, 09:38 PM
I think you mean Kshatriya avatar. (as done for an avatar theme week a year or so back)

Gundam unicorn spoilers Re: Name
and yes the name is Marida Cruz
or originally Puru (or however else you want to spell it) twelve.

Figured I spelt it wrong. Sorry XP. And yup, I know about Marida's backstory :smallwink:

IrnBruAddict
2012-01-19, 09:59 PM
Kazuya Nakai (voice of Roronoa Zoro, Date Masamune, Mugen and so much more). Can't drive or speak japanese but everything that man voices is pure gold.

Or a group GPS done by Team Four Star and Team CardGamesFTW (ShadyVox, LittleKuribo and AzureCrow).

Or Gordon Freeman!

+1 for Walken, Fry and Stewart.

Das Platyvark
2012-01-19, 10:16 PM
HAL because awesome.
Eugene Hütz because Eugene Hütz.

KillianHawkeye
2012-01-19, 10:21 PM
Kate Beckinsale, because I could listen to her voice all day. :smallbiggrin:

Xyk
2012-01-19, 10:35 PM
Definitely Morgan Freeman or Sir Ian McKellen. No better narrators exist.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2012-01-19, 10:38 PM
Eugene Hütz because Eugene Hütz.

Oh yes. I love this man. He is awesome.

Tragic_Comedian
2012-01-19, 10:55 PM
You can get Bob Dylan.

Feytalist
2012-01-20, 02:27 AM
Or Gordon Freeman!

Is that a joke? Because Gordon Freeman doesn't have a voice.

Anyway, the summarized answer to this thread is: Someone sophisticated and British. :smalltongue:

The thing is that many British actors over a certain age will have been part of the Royal Shakespeare Company at some point, and their diction is, quite frankly, perfect. Think on it: Partick Stewart, Ben Kingsley, Ian McKellen, Alan Rickman, Jeremy Irons, Helen Mirren, Judi Dench. And so on. What do they all have in common? Amazing speaking voices. Which would translate well to a GPS voice. Or, for that matter, narrating wildlife documentaries, heh.

IrnBruAddict
2012-01-20, 07:31 AM
Is that a joke? Because Gordon Freeman doesn't have a voice.

Yeah, that was the joke. Was gonna say Link but then he'd be grunting all the time: "Hnn" "Haa" "Hyah" "Nng" "Waaaaaaa" which would get annoying after like 30 seconds.

Or Peter Marinker who voices Kingseeker Frampt of Dark Souls. That voice was awesome.

Mercenary Pen
2012-01-20, 08:41 AM
You could have some fun with in character Red Dwarf GPS narration, just for laughs.

H Birchgrove
2012-01-20, 09:57 AM
Female voices:
Nigella Lawson (English food writer and TV-celebrity/chef)
Katarina Sandström (Swedish news broadcaster of Ethiopian origin)
Uma Thurman
Madonna
Jeri Ryan (Seven of Nine, etc)
Arleen Sorkin (Harley Quinn, etc)

Male voices:
Harrison Ford
Sir Sean Connery
Sir Ian McKellen
Sir David Attenborough
Sir Christopher Lee
Gary Oldman
Clint Eastwood
Jamie Oliver

Etc. :smallbiggrin:

noparlpf
2012-01-20, 12:25 PM

"Course calculated and laid in, Captain." Or something like that.

On that note, how about HAL? :D

Only if my name were Dave.

I really don't know. I suppose I ought to think about this because I'm going to be getting a GPS when I get a car.

RabbitHoleLost
2012-01-20, 12:50 PM
Anthony Hopkins.

I would play 12.95 for that in half a second.

mangosta71
2012-01-20, 01:02 PM

"Turn right on route three hundred and ninety-four."

My top two of each:
Males - Alan Rickman, James Earl Jones

Females - Summer Glau, Tricia Helfer

Thufir
2012-01-20, 01:04 PM
Or Gordon Freeman!

How about your squad members from HL2? "Don't forget to turn left, Dr. Freeman!"

I actually had a decent-length conversation about this a while back, but yeah, in general it's just the people with good voices.

Ooh. Simon Templeman.
Robin Atkin Downes.
Team Fortress 2 characters could make for interesting satnavs...

Bookman
2012-01-20, 01:09 PM
I'm going to have to weigh in and vote for Jim Dale. Because his audio book work is great and well... Pushing Daisies was about 10 times more awesome because of his narration (and it is fairly high in the awesomeness without the narration)

Thufir
2012-01-20, 01:13 PM
Oh hey, another thought:

William Hartnell, Patrick Troughton, Jon Pertwee, Tom Baker, Peter Davison, Colin Baker, Sylvester McCoy, Paul McGann, Christopher Eccleston, David Tennant and Matt Smith would all make excellent satnavs.
Or possibly you could bundle them all onto one satnav together, for more variety.

RabbitHoleLost
2012-01-20, 01:23 PM
Oh hey, another thought:

William Hartnell, Patrick Troughton, Jon Pertwee, Tom Baker, Peter Davison, Colin Baker, Sylvester McCoy, Paul McGann, Christopher Eccleston, David Tennant and Matt Smith would all make excellent satnavs.
Or possibly you could bundle them all onto one satnav together, for more variety.

Oh, man, Sylvester McCoy would be ALL ABOUT THIS. The man loves voicing things- I'm almost a hundred percent certain that if he was asked to do this, he wouldn't hesitate for a moment.

Mando Knight
2012-01-20, 01:27 PM
Darth Vader, especially if you miss a turn. "I find your lack of left turns disturbing."

At the end of the road, turn round. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ljFfL-mL70)

Scarlet Knight
2012-01-20, 03:20 PM
The cast of Princess Bride.

Inigo Montoya: You should take a right...
Fezzik: If you wish to be there tonight.

Riverdance
2012-01-20, 06:37 PM
Billy Boyd and Dominic Monaghan. Would get lost all the time but it would be great.

Mercenary Pen
2012-01-20, 07:56 PM
Billy Boyd and Dominic Monaghan. Would get lost all the time but it would be great.

At the service station, pull over for second breakfast.

Maeglin_Dubh
2012-01-21, 11:04 AM
I agree with a great many of the Shakespeare-related options (Kingsley, Irons, Dench, McKellen, etc.) and would like to submit a non-Brit for consideration.

Mike Rowe (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DD3vvBV8oYQ).

Karoht
2012-01-24, 04:17 PM
Someone mentioned Richard Hammond but not David Tennent. Odd, since I'm certain they are the same person. =p

Also, the DALEK voice.

EXECUTE LEFT TURN.

FAILURE! EXTERMINATE!

Chris Metzen, but he does so many different voices it would be extremely difficult to narrow it down to one. On that note, Neil Kaplan would be an excellent choice if you're a Tychus Findlay fan. Or any of his other works.

Rising Phoenix
2012-01-24, 11:17 PM
David Attenborough.

ROTFL.

"On the next corner we have doe red deer and her fawn in their natural environment..."

Karoht
2012-01-25, 10:43 AM
At the service station, pull over for second breakfast.

Instead of categories such as cuisine, such ammenities are sorted as follows.

Breakfast
Second Breakfast
Brunch
Elevensies
Lunch
Afternoon Tea
Dinner
Supper
Late night Tea

purple gelatinous cube o' Doom
2012-01-26, 05:28 PM
Seriously, how has nobody mentined Bill Shatner yet.

Re....calculating
Turn...right....now.

It might cause you to take twice as long to get to your destination, but it would be worth it.

Edit:
Upon looking, Garmin actually has Yoda, Darth Vader, Cookie Monster and Spongebob Squarepants (among others) that you can purchase to be your gps voice.

Mando Knight
2012-01-26, 05:44 PM
Seriously, how has nobody mentined Bill Shatner yet.

Re....calculating
Turn...right....now.

It might cause you to take twice as long to get to your destination, but it would be worth it.

Actually, it'd be more like

Re...calculating.
Turnright...now.

You need to... pause... forseveralwords andthenmash... therestofthesentence... together.