PDA

View Full Version : Watches in d&d?

ahenobarbi
2012-01-19, 08:45 AM
So I'm playing cleric. Clerics have to pray at fixed time of day. This is not a big problem when party is spending most of the above ground. But if we go for a few weeks long underground trip how should my cleric know what daytime is it? Are there any watches/ magical items that make it possible to track time (in days)?

SpaceBadger
2012-01-19, 08:48 AM
If it is important to your cleric's deity that prayers be at a particular time of day, then I'd just say the deity also grants awareness of the appropriate time to the cleric. A watch or equivalent would just seem out of place and anachronistic, at least to me (unless you're in a magi-tech setting, I guess).

Keneth
2012-01-19, 08:51 AM
Their spidey sense probably tells them when it's time to pray. :smallbiggrin:

Ernir
2012-01-19, 08:54 AM
There is a water clock in the Player's Handbook. Which kind of sucks.

You could track it with spell durations, too. Take your shirt off before praying, and cast Endure Elements. It lasts for 24 hours. When you suddenly get goose bumps, you know it is time to renew the spell and pray again.

But are you sure the DM is going to give you a hard time about this? :smallconfused:
Can't the Cleric tell time by just constantly trying to pray for spells until he gets a signal?

ahenobarbi
2012-01-19, 09:01 AM
But are you sure the DM is going to give you a hard time about this? :smallconfused:
Can't the Cleric tell time by just constantly trying to pray for spells until he gets a signal?

No I don't think that will be a problem but I was curious. And I thought it may be a nice bit of fluff for my character :smallcool:

Keneth
2012-01-19, 09:19 AM
Well I guess it depends on the campaign. In our world, mechanical clocks were first designed somewhere around 12th century but they didn't make pocket watches until late 17th century and I think the first wrist watch was made right at the end of 19th century.

Of course D&D is hardly period specific, there are plenty of extremely sophisticated clockwork machines in the game as it is. Combined with the magic forces that are generally prevalent in most games, I don't think that it would be much of a stretch for a character to have a pocket watch.

Of course I also don't think such a thing is necessary unless the deities in the campaign aren't your usual entities with human traits that like to meddle in everyone's business or if you don't follow a deity.

Darrin
2012-01-19, 09:24 AM
So I'm playing cleric. Clerics have to pray at fixed time of day. This is not a big problem when party is spending most of the above ground. But if we go for a few weeks long underground trip how should my cleric know what daytime is it? Are there any watches/ magical items that make it possible to track time (in days)?

There's a Desk Clock in Ghostwalk (25 GP, 8 lbs) that is essentially a wind-up clock or large pocket-watch.

There's also Firmament Stones in Dungeonscape (110 GP, 0.5 lbs) that can tell you roughly the time of day and phase of the moon.

And then there's the Differential Hourglass in the Planar Handbook (75 GP, 4 lbs) that is supposed to show the time difference between two planes, but could be created to measure the hours/days of a single plane.

Daer
2012-01-19, 09:41 AM
Perhaps some kind of customized spell or then cleric would start to feel weak or cleric could hear the main churches bells when they are used even if they are far away as time to pray would come? Hourglass?

ahenobarbi
2012-01-19, 10:23 AM
There's a Desk Clock in Ghostwalk (25 GP, 8 lbs) that is essentially a wind-up clock or large pocket-watch.

There's also Firmament Stones in Dungeonscape (110 GP, 0.5 lbs) that can tell you roughly the time of day and phase of the moon.

And then there's the Differential Hourglass in the Planar Handbook (75 GP, 4 lbs) that is supposed to show the time difference between two planes, but could be created to measure the hours/days of a single plane.

Thanks Firmament Stone looks nice, it's a bit to expansive for 1st level character but soon it shouldn't be a problem :smallbiggrin:

Slipperychicken
2012-01-19, 10:24 AM
Auto-resetting trap of Ghost Sound. 250 gold and 20 xp. Have it re-cast every 24 hours. Put the trap on your holy symbol.

LaughingRogue
2012-01-19, 10:26 AM
Water clock of course

Demonic_Spoon
2012-01-19, 10:27 AM
Apparently you accidentally made two threads. Darrin already said what I said in the other thread, except that I forgot about the differential hourglass. :smallfrown:

ahenobarbi
2012-01-19, 10:54 AM
Apparently you accidentally made two threads. Darrin already said what I said in the other thread, except that I forgot about the differential hourglass. :smallfrown:

Thanks I edited the other thread to avoid further confusion. Hmm Ghost Sound trap is more expansive than Firmament Stone... but nice (it can work as alarm clock too :smallcool: ).

Ravens_cry
2012-01-19, 05:31 PM
There is a pocket watch (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/goods-and-services#TOC-Watch-pocket) item in Pathfinder, but it's really up to the DM if it's anachronistic or not.

Kaeso
2012-01-19, 06:44 PM
Let me start of by saying I don't want to make a religious discussion out of this, but if I'm not mistaken muslims have to pray five times per day at fixed times, and have been doing this ever since the 7th century AD. If you could figure out how they knew at what times they had to pray, you have a historically accurate awnser to your question.

EDIT: nevermind, according to wikipedia they used water clocks, which would be a drag to take with you during your travels. Makes you wonder how travelling muslims knew when to pray though.

Riverdance
2012-01-19, 06:49 PM
If you have gnomes in the setting they have no doubt invented watches and are just hiding them because they're shiny and they don't feel like sharing.

ahenobarbi
2012-01-19, 06:54 PM
If you have gnomes in the setting they have no doubt invented watches and are just hiding them because they're shiny and they don't feel like sharing.

There are some gnomes (it's Forgotten Realms) so I will check if I run into one :smallbiggrin:

Ravens_cry
2012-01-20, 12:09 AM
EDIT: nevermind, according to wikipedia they used water clocks, which would be a drag to take with you during your travels. Makes you wonder how travelling muslims knew when to pray though.
On a sunny day, which it presumably is quite a lot in the Middle East, sundials (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sundial)can tell the time with fairly good accuracy as long as you compensate for the time of year.
Underground, dead reckoning by repeatedly turning an hourglass would do the trick.

NNescio
2012-01-20, 12:22 AM
Let me start of by saying I don't want to make a religious discussion out of this, but if I'm not mistaken muslims have to pray five times per day at fixed times, and have been doing this ever since the 7th century AD. If you could figure out how they knew at what times they had to pray, you have a historically accurate awnser to your question.

The mosques will sound calls (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adhan) from their minarets five times a day. Which... kinda puts you in an uncomfortable position if you are nonmuslim and happen to live near one.

ahenobarbi
2012-01-20, 06:48 AM
Underground, dead reckoning by repeatedly turning an hourglass would do the trick.

Yeah, who needs to sleep I can sit all night turning hourglass upside down :smallconfused:

absolmorph
2012-01-20, 07:46 AM
"Dear lord Pelor, can you hear me now?"
"Yes."
"Okay, I'm gonna need two Miracles, a Divine Power, a Holy Word..."

ahenobarbi
2012-01-20, 07:53 AM
I think id d&d gods can hear every time someone speaks their name so my cleric would risk annoying my god if he would constantly spam her with "he, hey, should ask for spells now?"

Hmm maybe I could flood some hostile god with irrelevant messages (train parrots to do this) so it's worshipers are cut of :nale:

Solaris
2012-01-20, 07:57 AM

That big shiny thing in the sky, it tells you what time it is.

Kaeso
2012-01-20, 08:10 AM
I think id d&d gods can hear every time someone speaks their name

"All praise be to Pelor"
"Thank Pelor"
"If it wasn't for Pelor"
"Have you heard the story of Pelor?"
"What in Pelors name is this?"
"Can you give me directions to the temple of Pelor?"

:smallannoyed: Pelor must be half insane by now

ahenobarbi
2012-01-20, 08:36 AM
That big shiny thing in the sky, it tells you what time it is.

You mean alien space ship?

"All praise be to Pelor"
"Thank Pelor"
"If it wasn't for Pelor"

I figure that's why d&d gods do so little - they're busy taking psychotherapy sessions to get rid of all the voices they hear.

Demonic_Spoon
2012-01-20, 10:23 AM
Sigging :smallbiggrin:

killem2
2012-01-20, 11:18 AM
With out a method to tell time, it is the DM's responsibility when asked, to provider the setting. not the players. :smallmad:

ahenobarbi
2012-01-20, 12:40 PM
Sigging :smallbiggrin:

Grows bigger ego ;)

With out a method to tell time, it is the DM's responsibility when asked, to provider the setting. not the players. :smallmad:

Yeah, I asked because I like to fill details of my characters :smallsmile:

Haron
2012-01-23, 04:41 AM
The gods are a poor bunch anyway, they never get any sleep. With the different planetary timezones, and the time differences between planes, there's always someone praying to them. That's also why gods don't interfere with mortals much: They're busy granting spells all the time!

Rossebay
2012-01-23, 07:23 AM
"All praise be to Pelor"
"Thank Pelor"
"If it wasn't for Pelor"

Sigging this.

Greenish
2012-01-23, 07:56 AM
Yeah, who needs to sleep I can sit all night turning hourglass upside down :smallconfused:D&D characters don't have to sleep, they just have to rest. :smallamused:

Yuki Akuma
2012-01-23, 08:22 AM
The gods are a poor bunch anyway, they never get any sleep. With the different planetary timezones, and the time differences between planes, there's always someone praying to them. That's also why gods don't interfere with mortals much: They're busy granting spells all the time!

Granting spells isn't actually a conscious action, and Outsiders don't need to sleep (but the gods with Wizard level still need to rest for eight hours to regain their spells).

Haron
2012-01-23, 10:28 AM
Granting spells isn't actually a conscious action, and Outsiders don't need to sleep (but the gods with Wizard level still need to rest for eight hours to regain their spells).

I still have the image in my head of the gods granting them actively, like Thor grants Durkon's spells, with misunderstandings and all, but maybe that's just silly me ;)

Slipperychicken
2012-01-23, 11:48 AM
D&D characters don't have to sleep, they just have to rest. :smallamused:

Rest
To prepare her daily spells, a wizard must first sleep for 8 hours. The wizard does not have to slumber for every minute of the time, but she must refrain from movement, combat, spellcasting, skill use, conversation, or any other fairly demanding physical or mental task during the rest period. If her rest is interrupted, each interruption adds 1 hour to the total amount of time she has to rest in order to clear her mind, and she must have at least 1 hour of uninterrupted rest immediately prior to preparing her spells. If the character does not need to sleep for some reason, she still must have 8 hours of restful calm before preparing any spells.

Every Listen check adds an hour to your rest. Sweet dreams :smallbiggrin:

Greenish
2012-01-23, 11:55 AM
Every Listen check adds an hour to your rest.Listen can be used while sleeping. :smallamused:

herrhauptmann
2012-01-23, 12:34 PM
Unless the DM is really out to get you, most divine characters will know when it's time to pray. Why? Because it's annoying to keep track of. Who wants to end up with a powerless character because you were 2 minutes late trying to get your prayers on? Especially if you're late because you were in a random or story encounter at that time.

There is a water clock in the Player's Handbook. Which kind of sucks.

You could track it with spell durations, too. Take your shirt off before praying, and cast Endure Elements. It lasts for 24 hours. When you suddenly get goose bumps, you know it is time to renew the spell and pray again.

Which then tells you that you're an hour late. And you're SOL if you get dispelled.

Yeah, who needs to sleep I can sit all night turning hourglass upside down :smallconfused:
No one in your party stands watch at night?:smallfrown:

ahenobarbi
2012-01-23, 03:09 PM
Unless the DM is really out to get you, most divine characters will know when it's time to pray. Why? Because it's annoying to keep track of. Who wants to end up with a powerless character because you were 2 minutes late trying to get your prayers on?

Yes, I don't expect my DM to screw me because I was a` few minutes late. But I wanted to add some fluff to character.

Especially if you're late because you were in a random or story encounter at that time.

Actually PHb that if I can't pray at my scheduled time for some reason I will gain spells I I'll pray right after interruption stops.

No one in your party stands watch at night?:smallfrown:

They do but I'm not sure they will e willing to. And hourglass is inaccurate.

Ravens_cry
2012-01-23, 03:48 PM
It's accurate enough for our purposes. All it needs to tell you is a particular hour (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/cleric.htm).
Even the highly inaccurate, one dialled Nuremberg Egg, one of the very first pocket watches, was suitable for this purpose.

RobD
2012-01-23, 04:25 PM
I know in the 1600s there was a handy little device called a diptych (which might be a more general term; 'pocket sundial' might also work), which was a combination sundial/compass. It looked like a hinged box, both halves attached with a string opposite the hinge. If you opened it up and oriented yourself north, the string would cast a shadow onto a sundial, telling you the time. The ones I've used are usually accurate within half an hour or so.

The universal equinoctial ring dial is another option (again, 1600s), and has the added benefit of looking really cool.
Wikipedia should have a whole article on sundials and such; might be worth checking out.