PDA

View Full Version : Planar Cohort

Gwendol
2012-01-19, 09:51 AM
I was looking through the BoED, looking for a Planar Cohort and I'm wondering if there has been a list compiled similar to the one on p. 25, or if that is the one? Is it even worthwhile taking the fifth level of Thaumaturge to get the cohort?

missmvicious
2012-01-20, 06:12 AM
I don't know if there's a list, but strictly speaking, you don't need one.

Pages 199 - 200 of the Dungeon Master's Guide will tell you everything you need to know about acquiring Special Cohorts that aren't on the standard list. But it all starts with having a chat with your DM. You need to make sure the 2 of you are on the same page before you start rolling up your new Planar Cohort, because the DM gets veto power on stuff like that.

Gwendol
2012-01-20, 06:37 AM
Thanks! My thoughts are more along if taking the fifth level of the PrC are worth it at all: the Planar Cohort feature doesn't look that fantastic: a 1000 gp / HD, etc. Furthermore, the outsiders typically have very high ECL due to HD and LA, thus severly restricting your choices, and prohibiting class advancement. In addition to that, it isn't explicitly stated if they come decked out in gear appropriate for the ECL or not (like an ordinary cohort would). On the other hand, maybe it is cool to get a Musteval guardinal cohort; advance him as beguiler perhaps...?

Urpriest
2012-01-20, 12:46 PM
If you want to optimize the thing a bunch, you might consider a Neraph (Planar Handbook). Outsider(Extraplanar) for LA +0.