PDA

View Full Version : Will Gannji and Enor return?

Sunken Valley
2012-01-19, 01:35 PM
I think they have far too much back story and are far to important to just slink away into the night. Who agrees

G-Man Graves
2012-01-19, 01:37 PM
...What back story?

Gift Jeraff
2012-01-19, 01:41 PM
It could go either way, really. They got quite a bit of screentime (which my phone decided to call "screw time"), but at the same time I wouldn't be surprised at all if they never reappear in the main comic (I can see a bonus thing like Julio's comic or The Farmers of the Dirt).

There are 2 other anti-Tarquin loose ends running about (Ian and Amun-Zora), so who knows.

SpaceBadger
2012-01-19, 01:58 PM
I'd like to see them again. Not sure how it would happen - maybe an attack on Tarquin? - but I'm sure the Giant will come up with something interesting.

Sunken Valley
2012-01-19, 02:49 PM
...What back story?

Oh welcome back Triple G! Haven't seen you since my lurker days. Maybe that was a mis-wording. But they are hetrosexual life-partners, they do have screen time, they do have a pre-existing grudge against most of the big players and Rich did say he was going to put them in Stick-tales before continuity kicked in (which is more than he did for the dirt farmers and Julio, both of whom needed separate comics to get their game on). So yeah, they'll be back

NerfTW
2012-01-19, 04:31 PM
Oh welcome back Triple G! Haven't seen you since my lurker days. Maybe that was a mis-wording. But they are hetrosexual life-partners, they do have screen time, they do have a pre-existing grudge against most of the big players and Rich did say he was going to put them in Stick-tales before continuity kicked in (which is more than he did for the dirt farmers and Julio, both of whom needed separate comics to get their game on). So yeah, they'll be back

I think you're confusing a "blank slate" background with an actual backstory. Yeah, they're blank slates, but that doesn't mean "Hey, this character mentions nothing about their past, that means we can make them awesomely interesting!".

Also, how do we know they're "heterosexual life partners"? They could be lovers for all we know, or they could be related, or Gannji just feels he needs to protect Enor in exchange for muscle. We don't even know his motivations for telling Enor to kill him. He could have been thinking strictly logically, that Enor would survive the arena and raise him later.

You're imagining an epic backstory for what is just two bounty hunters doing the buddy-cop thing. And this isn't Star Wars. Looking cool and falling into the Sarlaac Pit isn't enough to make you interesting.

Heksefatter
2012-01-19, 05:01 PM
Don't know, really. Then could be your Than and Lien, who get to play background roles for a while, or they could be like Samantha and her father and have a more limited story arch.

I don't think anyone knows. ('Cept the Giant and possibly His favoured henchmen).

Dr.Epic
2012-01-19, 05:12 PM
I think they have far too much back story and are far to important to just slink away into the night. Who agrees

Backstory? Importance? What are you talking about? They were just two bounty hunters who's plot purpose were to bring the Order to the Empire of Blood so Tarquin could enter the story. How else could they return in the central story except for just a one shot cut-away gag like the assassins.

eusticepious
2012-01-19, 05:43 PM
My vote is yes. Think it is very likely they return.

jidasfire
2012-01-19, 05:50 PM
I wouldn't say they need to return, but I think it's entirely possible that they will. It's not so much that they had a lot of backstory or whatever, but they were imbued with too much personality to simply be one-note characters. I doubt we'll see them beyond the current book, but I think they could play a wild card role in the impending battle at Windy Canyon, probably still upset that they're not being paid enough.

dps
2012-01-19, 05:54 PM
I don't think any other characters have been in that many panels and then not returned to the comic later without getting killed off. But I'm not actually going to count to make sure; if anyone else wants to do so, have fun.

Howler Dagger
2012-01-19, 06:08 PM
Better question: WHY would they return?

Heksefatter
2012-01-19, 06:30 PM
Better question: WHY would they return?

Could be many things. Maybe they are hired as mercs by someone. Maybe they end up being messed up in the story of Ian and the "plant." There are a ton of ways it could happen. Though there are no stories where they are really "needed" as far as I can see.

Jaros
2012-01-19, 06:48 PM
Maybe, but part of me really likes how much we (well, me anyway) were able to get out of them with so little screen time.

Jaros
2012-01-19, 08:00 PM
Maybe, but part of me really likes how much we (well, me anyway) were able to get out of them with so little screen time.

Tobz
2012-01-19, 08:15 PM
Likely we'll see them back, but I bet only for a short cameo like we've seen with bomberdwarf&shadowdancer. The story is winding down, with all signs of a writer focused on tying down and merging loose ends.

Zevox
2012-01-19, 08:16 PM
I don't see any reason to believe they will. They were minor characters who have served their purpose, nothing more.

Zevox

veti
2012-01-19, 10:59 PM
If they'd just escaped, I'd assume that was the last we'd see of them.

But the parting shot, or rather throw, at Tarquin makes me think we'll either see them again, if only briefly, or at least hear secondhand about their fate. Tarquin has unfinished business with them now. They're a loose end.

fergo
2012-01-20, 06:01 AM
If they'd just escaped, I'd assume that was the last we'd see of them.

But the parting shot, or rather throw, at Tarquin makes me think we'll either see them again, if only briefly, or at least hear secondhand about their fate. Tarquin has unfinished business with them now. They're a loose end.

That, alone, I don't think of as a reason they'll turn up again, especially when I think of Tarquin's reaction.

Still, I do think they'll be back. They do have an unusual ammount of characterisation for minor characters (heck, they even have a t-shirt) and their story just hasn't been wrapped up to my satisfaction (except in a 'they escaped and lived happily ever after' sort of way).

At the very least, there's more drama to be had from them. They've got a reason to be opposed to the Order of the Stick, but they're still 'good guys'*. There's so much that could happen with this--and besides, good characters doing bad things and bad characters doing good things is a running theme in the comic, especially in the current arc**.

* I know everyone's going to disagree with me on this :smallwink:. And besides, we know they their allignment is neutral. I don't want to break the morality discussion rules, so I won't go any further into it apart from saying that in my opinion they're set up to be sympathetic characters.

** Tarquin helping Elan, Ian refusing to believe Haley, Malack as a 'sympathetic character' but being part of the whole evil empire thing...

boomwolf
2012-01-20, 08:15 AM
I can see them as future LG members...

Dr.Epic
2012-01-20, 08:29 AM
Of course they will return.'
[spoiler]In a party with Master Fyron's reanimated son and Red Cloak's niece.:smallwink:[spoiler]

Dark Elf Bard
2012-02-18, 12:53 AM
It could go either way, really. They got quite a bit of screentime (which my phone decided to call "screw time"), but at the same time I wouldn't be surprised at all if they never reappear in the main comic (I can see a bonus thing like Julio's comic or The Farmers of the Dirt).

There are 2 other anti-Tarquin loose ends running about (Ian and Amun-Zora), so who knows.

Who's Amun-Zora?

ti'esar
2012-02-18, 01:44 AM
You're imagining an epic backstory for what is just two bounty hunters doing the buddy-cop thing. And this isn't Star Wars. Looking cool and falling into the Sarlaac Pit isn't enough to make you interesting.

Actually, while I'm pretty neutral on this topic - I wouldn't mind if they came back, but the story could work perfectly well without it - this I have to disagree with. OOTS may not give extensive backstories to everyone who appeared even briefly in the comic like Star Wars does, but it's got just as many inexplicably popular minor characters.

oppyu
2012-02-18, 02:03 AM
Who's Amun-Zora?
The lieutenant (or something) who tried to kill Tarquin. Elan rescued her in the battle against the Linear Guild to give him a chance to escape from Nale.

Gift Jeraff
2012-02-18, 02:11 AM
Who's Amun-Zora?All strips with Amun-Zora:
#742 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0742.html)
#743 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0743.html)
#744 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0744.html)
#749 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0749.html)
#756 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0756.html)
#757 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0757.html)
#801 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0801.html)
#804 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0804.html)

ThePhantasm
2012-02-18, 06:01 AM
Of course they will return.'
[spoiler]In a party with Master Fyron's reanimated son and Red Cloak's niece.:smallwink:[spoiler]

lol, spoiler fail Dr. Epic.

The story makes no indication that we should expect their return. However, that doesn't mean they won't. I wouldn't mind seeing them show up again, if it had meaningful implications for the story.

Dark Elf Bard
2012-02-18, 12:01 PM
Whell why would rich stick them in without having them play a important part?

ThePhantasm
2012-02-18, 12:12 PM
Whell why would rich stick them in without having them play a important part?

Arguably they already did play an important part. Just as important as the assassins at the tavern, or other one-shot characters. They influenced Belkar's character arc, brought the party in one way or another to the Empire of Blood, etc.

Raimun
2012-02-18, 12:33 PM
Let's see. People who were in the comic at one point but haven't really returned, despite being alive:

Assassins (Shadow dancer and dwarf)
Julio Scroundel
Leeky Windstaff and Pompey (Linear Guild)
Inkyrius and the kids (close to 200 strips now)
The new kid (current C.P.P.D.-chief)

Umm...

Mindflayer? ... No?

Point is, they might return but it's not unheard of that some characters might simply walk away from the story.

ella ventic
2012-02-18, 12:54 PM
Arguably they already did play an important part. Just as important as the assassins at the tavern, or other one-shot characters. They influenced Belkar's character arc

There we go. I think getting the OOTS to Tarquin could have happened in any of a million ways; instead, Enor and Gannji were written as they were primarily so that we could see Belkar's character development.

I don't know whether we're done with them for good or not, but they have already served a very important function in the story.

Dark Elf Bard
2012-02-18, 04:31 PM
Let's see. People who were in the comic at one point but haven't really returned, despite being alive:

Julio Scroundel

Umm...

Mindflayer? ... No?

Point is, they might return but it's not unheard of that some characters might simply walk away from the story.
Assassins may return
Scoundrel has explicitly stated that he probably won't see Elan again unless he's dying
Leeky and Pompey are about as close to coming back as Hilgya
Inkyiryus I hope and think will get back together with V
The New Kid was mainly comic relief.

cloudland
2012-02-18, 04:46 PM

Julio Scroundel

Umm...

Mindflayer? ... No?

Also:
-Bozzok and the thief's guild.
-Clerics of Loki (both the dwarf and human one).
-The whole town of Cliffport actually... (including Julia).