PDA

View Full Version : GRR! So frustrated!

missmvicious
2012-01-19, 02:34 PM
I'm not necessarily looking for a solution. I'm just frustrated, and looking to rant.

How come, all of a sudden NeoOffice is being a brat?! I know it's open source freeware, but SRSLY! I built this lovely little D&D 3.5 Skill Chart spreadsheet so I could auto-calculate synergy bonuses and assign skill points without going over my alloted max. From there, I should be able to import it into my character sheet just fine.... well not just fine. I have to build the character sheet in NeoOffice Drawing, which doesn't work with NeoO Spreadsheet. So I make the spreadsheet, copy it to NeoO Text Document, then copy it into Drawing and it has always worked like a freaking charm.

Now, all of a sudden, it will only copy a portion of my skills chart over! I don't get it! :smallmad: I've tried every way I know of porting one file into another and everything results in either a partial copy or the application crashing. It's like some troll opened up my lappy, reprogrammed NeoOffice and walked away cackling madly while I was away!

I'm so mad! I'm working on an awesome resource project for DMs that I, and many other would-be DMs have been requesting, and I need that stupid spreadsheet to work. I miss my Adobe package so much. At least it was compatible with it's own files. Stupid Intel Macs. Stupid backwards incompatibility. Stupid NeoOffice. FML! :smallmad:

Hanuman
2012-01-19, 02:37 PM
Have you tried mythweavers?

Ursus the Grim
2012-01-19, 02:41 PM
Stupid Intel Macs.

There it is. :D

Seriously, Mythweavers is okay, but it sounds like you're used to a huge amount of stat-tracking and calculation. I'd suggest HeroForge, if you can run a macro-enabled MS Excel.

missmvicious
2012-01-19, 03:17 PM
I'm not familiar with Mythweavers, but I don't have MS Office, so I can't use Hero Forge. Well, I have it, but it's for a pre-Intel Mac.

FYI, Mac was a BAMF before they put Intel in their hardware.
They were backwards compatible, had incredible shelf life, were almost impossible to crash, surprisingly durable, visually appealing, fast as lightning... I could go on. Why they decided to start turning them into over-priced PCs, I'll never know. But here I am... trapped in a buyer's remorse I can't dig myself out of, and all my old awesome software, well technically my husband's software, is just sitting on a shelf, waiting for us to build up enough savings to buy a used pre-Intel Mac so we can return to those happier days of computing that we knew and loved.

I'll look up Mythweavers and see what happens. But I don't need a character builder so much as a portable skills chart that works with NeoOffice.

Here's what I'm doing:
Many low-mileage DMs, myself included, have expressed interest in having statted out, generic NPCs for their campaigns. They don't have to be optimized, but they do have to be malleable enough to serve in almost any setting without looking like a cookie cutter character. I've started doing this. it's a work-in-progress, but it's going to be super awesome once I finish. I'm incorporating everything I've learned from the Playground and everything I've learned as a DM and as a PC, and have even tested some of the beta versions out with other more experienced DMs, who have given me their feedback so I can improve from there. I think it will save DMs like me, who can't just create solid NPCs on the fly, hours... even days of NPC building and dice rolling. The majority of the Human NPCs have been created, but they haven't been formatted yet.

Right now, I'm just working on the format and layout to make it fit on 2 pages while still being readable, quickly adjustable, and easy to open on any operating system. It's just, now for some reason, my Skills Chart, which has always worked before, is being a pain.

missmvicious
2012-01-19, 03:51 PM
Just checked out Mythweavers. It looks like they kind of do what I'm trying to do, just in less detail. Thanks for the link, but I think I'll keep working on what I've got. Thanks, though!

Actually, the rest of the tools on the site are incredible. I'm really impressed. I'm surprised I've not heard of this website before. It could've made my life so much easier as a DM.

missmvicious
2012-01-19, 05:47 PM
Update:
I'm much happier now. I've decided to work around the problem, and I think it works well enough. There's always a way :smallwink:. I'll be posting a link to my prototype soon. I'm looking forward to some feedback, since I want this to be really helpful to new and low-mileage DMs. Experienced DMs would find this tool pretty meh... but as a low-mileage DM I have wanted something like this for every session I have ever hosted.

Lord Seth
2012-01-19, 05:48 PM
Why are your messages in purple?:smallconfused:

Renegade Paladin
2012-01-19, 05:50 PM
Because there are [color="purple"] tags around them.

:smalltongue:

missmvicious
2012-01-19, 06:59 PM

If you meant to ask "how" then see Renegade Paladin's response. If you meant to ask "why" then, because it matches my avi.

Also, I use different names on different sites, but I always use the same color, size and font. Well... except here, but I still use the same color. Enough people said that my size and font was a distraction, so I changed it.

I use it as my signature style. Some people on different sites can recognize me by my font/size/color selection alone, so it helps with that. I know what you're thinking, why don't I use the same profile name each time? Lot's of reasons. One of them is that I have a lot of nicknames and I'm known in different social circles by different nicknames. I registered onto this site back when I was commonly referred to as Miss Vicious, which is my fashion designer pseudonym. My line is called Vicious Designs.

Plus, purple is pretty, and it looks more interesting than this.