PDA

View Full Version : rules clarification on bonus spells

Puzzleclocks
2012-01-19, 03:06 PM
Running a strange build in an epic campaign and concerned about losing ability scores from magic items in an anti-magic field.

So my question is maybe two-part: If you have items that give you long-term bonuses to your ability scores and then you lose them in an antimagic field, do you immediately lose prepared bonus-spells?

If someone could point me to the book where the rule for this is as well, I'd appreciate it as I haven't been able to find it and my DM will let me do nearly anything as long as I can find it in printed Wizards material.

And part 2: If you do lose them, anybody have any nonmagical ways off the top of their head to increase ability scores besides racials, inherents, and the standard increase that comes with levels? I feel like I'm maybe missing something obvious here but maybe it just seems like there should be another way to me. Maybe a good acquired template?

Thanks in advance for any help!

~Puzzles

Tyndmyr
2012-01-19, 03:59 PM
Prepared slots do not just vanish. Now, you can't prepare spells in this AMF in your bonus slots, if you don't have them as a result of missing buffs, but there are a few ways to end up with more prepared spells than you could normally prepare(say, losing your spellbook), and they do not impact your ability to cast from already prepared slots.

Jeraa
2012-01-19, 07:05 PM
The spells do disappear if you remove the item, according to the 3.5 FAQ. Its never made clear what happens if the item is just suppressed for a few rounds though. That is an "Ask your DM" thing.

Do ability enhancing items (such as the headband of intellect, cloak of charisma, and periapt of wisdom) grant bonus spells to the appropriate spellcasters? The spells these items are based on would seem to prohibit it, but the only things specifically addressed in the item descriptions are skill points.
Yes, you can get extra bonus spells if you have an item that increases the ability score that governs your spellcasting. To get the extra bonus spells, you must wear the item while resting to regain spells and all through your initial daily preparations for spellcasting. (Even characters who don’t prepare spells need to meditate a little while at the beginning of the day; see Daily Readying of spells under the Sorcerers and bards section of Chapter 10 in the PH.)

If you lose the item, you immediately lose the bonus spell slots the item gave you, starting with any uncast spells you have of the appropriate levels.

Puzzleclocks
2012-01-19, 07:57 PM
The spells do disappear if you remove the item, according to the 3.5 FAQ. Its never made clear what happens if the item is just suppressed for a few rounds though. That is an "Ask your DM" thing.

Ah, well it'll probably be okish then. Seems like a rules oversight then, but if they give bonus spells it seems like it would be lame if just walking through an anti-magic field made you lose them. Thankfully, as the first poster said, if I already have them prepared I should theoretically be fine as long as nobody starts throwing around Disjunction, and I plan on having a Ring of Counterspells or Contingent Dispell Magic for that on-hand.

Thanks for the input guys! :smallsmile: