PDA

View Full Version : Feats for a Caster?

Zombulian
2012-01-19, 05:47 PM
Hey guys, I was recently making a gish, I decided to make a gish because I almost always play melee fighters and I thought it would be a good transition to the casting world. But the thing with melee fighters is they tend to always have a set or recommended list of feats according to what you want to do. So I'm being a Wu Jen Jade Phoenix Mage and I have no idea what feats to take :smalleek:. Even ToB is new to me. PLEASE HELP MEEEEE

Dusk Eclipse
2012-01-19, 06:03 PM
Gishes have a different set of priorities than pure casters, as you need both combat related feats and some caster related ones.

either way the most common Gish feats are:

Power Attack: Every Str based melee takes it, you are not the exception. It is your bread and butter for damage.

Combat Casting: Weak feat; but opens path to Abjurant Champion which is the best prestige class for a gish.

Arcane Strike: Sacrificing slots for damage is pretty nice, more if you have tons of it. Be careful it has some issues concerning it's wording though, as always it is best to check with the DM beforehand.

Minor Shapeshift: You need a (polymorph) spell of 4th level to fuel this reserve feat; but the benefits are simply awesome, how do you like a renewable source of temp hp? This feat gives you that and more.

Practiced Spellcaster: You are most likely loosing some CL, this helps you to regain some of them and as CL determine duration and how difficult spells are to dispell you want a high-ish CL as a gish.

Quicken Spell: A bit pricey as a metamagic; but most of the spell you want are 4 level or lower so you can actually make some use of these without needing some metamagic mitigation.

Combat Reflexes: Extra Attacks are always nice.

0nimaru
2012-01-19, 06:05 PM
Assumptions are deadly.

What are your feats/classes so far?
If you're making a high level character from the ground up, are there goals you wish to meet?
What does the rest of the party look like?
How experienced is the party in general?

Zombulian
2012-01-19, 06:14 PM
plan is Wu Jen 5/SS 1/JPM 10/something 4, maybe some archmage for sla's?

Edit: Also, the point of this character is to be silly and to play up on all the Weaboo flavor from both the classes. The goals I want are to hopefully acquire 9's at some point so I can Transcend Mortality and then asplode :smallbiggrin:. The party is also full of sillyness, I don't need to be good, but I actually tend to be the person the party needs to lean on for some damage. But I don't want to be destroying things before anyone gets a chance to touch them...