PDA

View Full Version : Call of Cthulhu Campaigns

un_known
2012-01-19, 08:03 PM
I've been running Call of Cthulhu with a group for a while and I'm wanting to move them into one of the campaigns. I have heard that everything from 3rd Edition and up is basically compatible and I wanted to ask which campaigns you guys have run and have been successful. The main ones I am looking at are: At Your Door, Masks of Nyarlathotep, Horror on the Oriental Express, Unseen Masters, The Fungi From Yuggoth, Beyond the Mountains of Madness, The Walker in the Wastes or The Spawn of Azathoth.

If you have any advice for running one of the campaigns I would happy for that as well. Thank you.

Balain
2012-01-19, 08:10 PM
It's been sometime since I ran a Call of Cthulhu campaign. I do remember running The Fungi from Yuggoth. It went over pretty well from what I remember.

kaomera
2012-01-19, 08:53 PM
The only two I really know much of are Masks of Nyarlathotep & Beyond the Mountains of Madness - I've played through both to TPKs, and then gone back and read the books myself. BtMoM is much more linear, but they both benefit a lot from the Keeper reading the whole book well and being quick on their scuttling pseudopods. It's entirely possible (likely, even) for the Investigators to go off the track at some point and/or get themselves killed / driven insane (as we did). But they're really good adventures.

un_known
2012-01-19, 09:21 PM
I am fairly well versed in the various campaign books, they've been lying around the house since my brother moved out. And then I have been reading H. P. Lovecraft since I was 8.

DementedFellow
2012-01-20, 03:40 PM
Horror on the Orient Express is very fun and there is really only one major gripe I have with it. Aside from that one bit, I enjoyed being a player in it.

It forces you to kill off a character during the climax.

As a side note, if you are wanting to create your own adventure, Ghostbusters (in spite of the silliness) has pretty much captured the formula of a CoC session. A group of professionals are called together to investigate something weird, they discover something unearthly and are then forced to put it back where it came from.

un_known
2012-01-20, 06:52 PM
I've done my own adventures for the most part with the group for the past year and a bit but I wanted to dive into one of the campaign. From what I've read a couple of the current published ones end that way.

TroubleBrewing
2012-01-21, 01:27 AM
I've run Complete Masks, BTMOM, and Horror on the Orient Express in the last couple of years with my group. BTMOM is hard to find, but easily the best. Complete Masks is a good time, but much more player-driven. HOTOE is hard. Really, really hard. There are at least three points during the campaign that can cause the party to fail the entire objective of the campaign just by being a little late.

comicshorse
2012-01-21, 08:56 PM
I played in a Beyond the Mountains of Madness campaign that was just fantastic ( and deeply disturbing and occasionally totally depressing) so would recommend it highly.
The one piece of advice I'd offer is make the P.C.s roll up two characters, preferably one scientist and one more physically orientated.
The reasons for this are twofold : (1) P.C.s are going to die and its a bit difficult to reintroduce new characters when the P.C.s are in the Arctic circle ( not to mention the problems when the new P.C.s don't have the connection to the other P.C.s and N.P.C.'s that has been developing over the months of game time)
(2) Its best to have the P.C.s in both areas because otherwise they will be left out when the science or the physical area dominates the adventure. Having a P.C. in each area means that no matter whats happening the players have a P.C. who can get involved in it

ken-do-nim
2012-01-24, 11:55 AM
I played in a Beyond the Mountains of Madness campaign that was just fantastic ( and deeply disturbing and occasionally totally depressing) so would recommend it highly.
The one piece of advice I'd offer is make the P.C.s roll up two characters, preferably one scientist and one more physically orientated.
The reasons for this are twofold : (1) P.C.s are going to die and its a bit difficult to reintroduce new characters when the P.C.s are in the Arctic circle ( not to mention the problems when the new P.C.s don't have the connection to the other P.C.s and N.P.C.'s that has been developing over the months of game time)
(2) Its best to have the P.C.s in both areas because otherwise they will be left out when the science or the physical area dominates the adventure. Having a P.C. in each area means that no matter whats happening the players have a P.C. who can get involved in it

Thanks for the tip!

Btw, Beyond the Mountains of Madness comes up on eBay all the time, but is always expensive.