PDA

View Full Version : God-hater

FearlessGnome
2012-01-19, 08:45 PM
Hiya. I'm joining an epic gestalt game, and my character will be a somewhat scholarly person who really dislikes deities, because of their petty infighting and their willingness to sacrifice followers to further their causes (which are usually about getting more followers).

One side of the Gestalt will be a Shadowcaster. I'll be using the author's fix, and with a ban on epic spells, there will instead be something worked out for making 10th & 11th level mysteries.

I'm unsure what to do on the other side, however. I have been thinking Archivist/Fleshwarper, but at the end of the day I'm not sure I can be bothered to keep track of all those divine spells for the Archivist. So, does anyone have any suggestions for a class that would fit the concept of a god-hating character? I could do Ur-priest instead of Archivist, which would open up a few levels to get an exotic race/template, but does anything else come to mind? Or a nice prestige class on the Shadowcaster side? I had planned to put my base underwater, so the lack of a need to breathe would have been useful, but I can sacrifice the Shadowcaster's few class features if there's an interesting PrC out there somewhere.

Grinner
2012-01-19, 09:30 PM
As far as your character concept goes, the Ur-priest fits it better than anything else, since god-hating is their stock and trade.

Urpriest
2012-01-19, 09:32 PM
While I naturally would like to plug for yours truly, Defiant is a (substantially weaker) prestige class that also focuses on hating on the gods. Planar Handbook.

Rubik
2012-01-19, 09:36 PM
Be a truenamer. They hate everything, because they're truenamers.

HunterOfJello
2012-01-19, 09:37 PM
Be a truenamer. They hate everything, because they're truenamers.

but ultimately, what they hate the most is themselves :c

enderlord99
2012-01-19, 09:40 PM
While I naturally would like to plug for yours truly, Defiant is a (substantially weaker) prestige class that also focuses on hating on the gods. Planar Handbook.

If defiant doesn't require divine spell-casting, he could probably do both.

If it does, he just needs to take the levels in Ur-priest FIRST.

Reluctance
2012-01-19, 09:55 PM
I almost wanna say wizard. The "I can make reality my ***** without needing you divine busybodies" archetype seems custom-made for them.

I guess it depends on your angle, though. Anything that can get into Ur-Priest (ideally something without divine spells, due to the incompatibility) on one side, with whatever nondivine on the other works well if you want a character who thinks gods are actively harmful and that reality would be better if they were all destroyed. Anything/Anything, so long as there's no divine for flavor incompatibility, works just fine for someone who figures they're petulant children best left alone. Being powerful enough to be cavalier about gods, even if you acknowledge their personal strength, is what epic is all about.

gorfnab
2012-01-19, 10:05 PM
Warlock or Binder could fit in well with the God hating idea. If your DM allows it you could put the Hellfire Ur-Lock on the other side: Warlock 4/ Binder 1/ Ur-Priest 2/ Eldritch Disciple 2/ Hellfire Warlock 3/ Eldritch Disciple 8.

DonutBoy12321
2012-01-19, 10:05 PM
An interesting idea is Fiend of Blasphemy. You'll need the outsider type and the evil subtype, but you get to force people into your anti-deity cult.

PlzBreakMyCmpAn
2012-01-20, 12:00 AM
no need to read the op, your title is definitely in the right websi

*.*.*.*
2012-01-20, 12:46 AM
no need to read the op, your title is definitely in the right websi

CandleJack is getting more and more pe

Curious
2012-01-20, 12:58 AM
CandleJack is getting more and more pe

Honestly guys, the joke is getting ol

FearlessGnome
2012-01-21, 03:52 PM

Curious. Because Ex-cleric levels can be swapped when one enters the class, you could have a Defiant10/Ur-priest10 at level 20. Sad that it's not very good, and that both classes give non-stacking Divine Spell Resistance.

Still... If I can get the DM to agree on working out some kind of Epic Progression for Defiant that gives something besides bonus feats...

Urpriest
2012-01-21, 04:18 PM
Curious. Because Ex-cleric levels can be swapped when one enters the class, you could have a Defiant10/Ur-priest10 at level 20. Sad that it's not very good, and that both classes give non-stacking Divine Spell Resistance.

Still... If I can get the DM to agree on working out some kind of Epic Progression for Defiant that gives something besides bonus feats...

Defiant does make it a little easier to enter Ur-Priest. One of the difficulties with the class is that the skill requirements make it designed to be entered by an ex-cleric, but that's the least optimal way to do so. Defiant lets you trade those levels for something half-decent.

The fact that you can't lower Defiant's Divine SR is the real clincher, because it means your Ur-Priest buffs will have a hard time sticking. Beyond that it's just one more mediocre PrC with some amusing consequences. Actually, wouldn't make a horrible Iron Chef ingredient.

herrhauptmann
2012-01-21, 04:28 PM
Oddly, it seems you can be a defiant, AND an active cleric. So long as you don't name a patron deity.
Thus: Cleric (Causes of Travel+Time) can get into defiant. But not a cleric of Fhalaphafalagn or Gwaeron Wind-something from Faerun.
I'm not sure I don't like the blurb that says defiants can't quote from any holy book. Given just how conflicting the dogma of certain religions ends up, it seems they should be allowed to quote whatever they want.

Hard to think up examples without mentioning realworld examples, but I'll try.
-Cleric says something about peace and love towards mankind.
-Defiant quotes from the clerics holy book, where the god or a prophet said that every man should be killed, every child enslaved, and every woman raped. :smalleek:

-A Cleric says that witches are foul and must be purified in fire.
-Defiant relates a story from the holy book where a prophet saved a witch from being stoned to death.

PlzBreak: What brought about the candlejack joke this time? I don't think I saw anyone ment

Urpriest
2012-01-21, 04:30 PM
PlzBreak: What brought about the candlejack joke this time? I don't think I saw anyone ment

As far as I can tell he's not afraid of that guy, he's just commenting on the zeal of our modera

FMArthur
2012-01-21, 04:35 PM
Why does everyone trip over themselves to be a part of the worst joke on the internet as soon as anyone brings it up? :smallsigh:

herrhauptmann
2012-01-21, 04:49 PM
Why does everyone trip over themselves to be a part of the worst joke on the internet as soon as anyone brings it up? :smallsigh:

Because Freakazoid was a GREAT show.
edit:
Anyway, the joke gets ruined frequently.
Disappearing in the middle of the name, or even disappearing without saying the name.

Greenish
2012-01-21, 06:00 PM
PlzBreak: What brought about the candlejack joke this time? I don't think I saw anyone mentPlz never finishes his post. Ever. I don't think it has anything to do with the meme.

Curious
2012-01-21, 06:04 PM

It's ironic because it isn't funny, thus it is funny. Wheeeee!

herrhauptmann
2012-01-21, 06:42 PM
Plz never finishes his post. Ever. I don't think it has anything to do with the meme.

Hmm, I see.
There's gotta be a reason for it. "Bet ya can't post for a year and use the candlejack joke in each joke." Something like that.

FearlessGnome
2012-01-21, 06:43 PM
Hard to think up examples without mentioning realworld examples, but I'll try.
-Cleric says something about peace and love towards mankind.
-Defiant quotes from the clerics holy book, where the god or a prophet said that every man should be killed, every child enslaved, and every woman raped. :smalleek:

Rape the non-virgin women? How vulgar! Put them to death with the men and the cattle! What are we, savages?

Urpriest
2012-01-21, 06:53 PM
Hmm, I see.
There's gotta be a reason for it. "Bet ya can't post for a year and use the candlejack joke in each joke." Something like that.

I think he only does it on this forum, though I'm not sure since I've only seen a few of his posts on BG. Like I said, I think it's a joke about this place being more heavily moderated.

herrhauptmann
2012-01-21, 11:25 PM
I think he only does it on this forum, though I'm not sure since I've only seen a few of his posts on BG. Like I said, I think it's a joke about this place being more heavily moderated.

Aha. Wasn't sure what you were trying to say in that post.

Rubik
2012-01-22, 03:52 PM
Plz never finishes his post. Ever. I don't think it has anything to do with the meme.This is extremely annoying.*

*The subject of the post, not the post itself.

Telonius
2012-01-22, 07:50 PM
Hiya. I'm joining an epic gestalt game, and my character will be a somewhat scholarly person who really dislikes deities, because of their petty infighting and their willingness to sacrifice followers to further their causes (which are usually about getting more followers).

One side of the Gestalt will be a Shadowcaster. I'll be using the author's fix, and with a ban on epic spells, there will instead be something worked out for making 10th & 11th level mysteries.

I'm unsure what to do on the other side, however. I have been thinking Archivist/Fleshwarper, but at the end of the day I'm not sure I can be bothered to keep track of all those divine spells for the Archivist. So, does anyone have any suggestions for a class that would fit the concept of a god-hating character? I could do Ur-priest instead of Archivist, which would open up a few levels to get an exotic race/template, but does anything else come to mind? Or a nice prestige class on the Shadowcaster side? I had planned to put my base underwater, so the lack of a need to breathe would have been useful, but I can sacrifice the Shadowcaster's few class features if there's an interesting PrC out there somewhere.

The only other thing I can think of veers heavily to cheese - Tainted Scholar with Opinionated - Solipsistic - Hubristic. (Fluff says you think you're even more important than the gods - fits in at least a bit). Once you get into Epic the DCs could get truly absurd.

TroubleBrewing
2012-01-23, 02:27 AM
The only other thing I can think of veers heavily to cheese - Tainted Scholar with Opinionated - Solipsistic - Hubristic. (Fluff says you think you're even more important than the gods - fits in at least a bit). Once you get into Epic the DCs could get truly absurd.

Cripes, he said he wanted to play a god-hater, not a DM hater... :smalltongue: