PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Base Race tweaks (PEACH)

Grod_The_Giant
2012-01-19, 10:02 PM
Enclosed here are the basic races I offer my players. They've been tweaked in a number of ways, generally taking one of two forms: making the bonuses simpler and easier to remember (coughdwarfcough) or making the race more balanced. Without further ado...

Humans
(The same as normal)

Dwarves
+2 Constitution, -2 Dexterity.
Medium: As Medium creatures, dwarves have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
Dwarf base land speed is 20 feet. However, dwarves can move at this speed even when wearing medium or heavy armor or when carrying a medium or heavy load (unlike other creatures, whose speed is reduced in such situations).
Darkvision: Dwarves can see in the dark up to 60 feet. Darkvision is black and white only, but it is otherwise like normal sight, and dwarves can function just fine with no light at all.
Weapon Proficiency: Dwarves receive the Martial Weapon Proficiency feat for handaxes, battleaxes, and warhammers.
Weapon Familiarity: Dwarves may treat dwarven waraxes and dwarven urgroshes, and other specifically "dwarven" weapons as martial weapons, rather than exotic weapons.
Stability: A dwarf gains a +4 bonus on ability checks made to resist being bull rushed or tripped when standing on the ground (but not when climbing, flying, riding, or otherwise not standing firmly on the ground).
+2 racial bonus on saving throws against spells, spell-like effects, supernatural abilities, and poison.
Dwarves begin play with 4 free ranks in a Craft skill of their choice.
+2 Knowledge (Architecture and Engineering) and Knowledge (Dungeoneering). A dwarf may buy ranks in these skills at a 1:1 ratio, as if they were class skills, but their maximum level remains limited by his class.
Automatic Languages: Common and Dwarven.
Bonus Languages: Giant, Gnome, Goblin, Orc, Terran, and Undercommon.
Favored Class: Fighter.

Elves
+2 Dexterity, -2 Constitution.
Medium: As Medium creatures, elves have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
Elf base land speed is 30 feet.
Immunity to magic sleep effects, and a +2 racial saving throw bonus against enchantment spells or effects.
Low-Light Vision: An elf can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. She retains the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.
Weapon Proficiency: Elves receive the Martial Weapon Proficiency feats for the longsword, rapier, longbow (including composite longbow), and shortbow (including composite shortbow) as bonus feats.
Weapon Familiarity: Elves may treat "elven" weapons as martial weapons, rather than exotic weapons.
Years of Experience: Elves may select any two skills and begin the game with four ranks in them. They may purchase addition ranks in these skills at a 1-1 ratio, even if they aren't class skills.
+2 racial bonus on Listen, Search, Spot, and Knowledge (Arcane) checks. An elf may make such checks untrained.
Automatic Languages: Common and Elven. Bonus Languages: Draconic, Gnoll, Gnome, Goblin, Orc, and Sylvan.
Favored Class: Wizard.

Gnomes
+2 Charisma, -2 Strength.
Small: As a Small creature, a gnome gains a +1 size bonus to Armor Class, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, and a +4 size bonus on Hide checks, but he uses smaller weapons than humans use, and his lifting and carrying limits are three-quarters of those of a Medium character.
Gnome base land speed is 20 feet.
Low-Light Vision: A gnome can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. He retains the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.
Weapon Familiarity: Gnomes may treat gnome hooked hammers as martial weapons rather than exotic weapons.
+2 racial bonus on saving throws against illusions.
Add +1 to the Difficulty Class for all saving throws against illusion spells cast by gnomes. This adjustment stacks with those from similar effects.
+2 racial bonus on Listen, Craft (alchemy), and Spellcraft checks.
Automatic Languages: Common and Gnome. Bonus Languages: Draconic, Dwarven, Elven, Giant, Goblin, and Orc.
Spell-Like Abilities: 1/day—speak with animals (burrowing mammal only, duration 1 minute), dancing lights, ghost sound, prestidigitation. Caster level 1st; save DC 10 + gnome’s Cha modifier + spell level.
Favored Class: Bard or Beguiler (PHB 2)

Halflings
+2 Dexterity, -2 Strength.
Small: As a Small creature, a halfling gains a +1 size bonus to Armor Class, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, and a +4 size bonus on Hide checks, but she uses smaller weapons than humans use, and her lifting and carrying limits are three-quarters of those of a Medium character.
Halfling base land speed is 20 feet.
+2 racial bonus on Climb, Jump, Listen, and Move Silently checks.
+1 racial bonus on all saving throws.
Automatic Languages: Common and Halfling. Bonus Languages: Dwarven, Elven, Gnome, Goblin, and Orc.
Favored Class: Rogue.

Half-Elves
Medium: As Medium creatures, half-elves have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
Half-elf base land speed is 30 feet.
1 extra feat at 1st level.
Immunity to sleep spells and similar magical effects, and a +2 racial bonus on saving throws against enchantment spells or effects.
Low-Light Vision: A half-elf can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. She retains the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.
+2 racial bonus on Diplomacy and Gather Information checks.
Mixed Blood: For all effects related to race, a half-elf is considered both an elf and a human, whichever would be more advantageous at the time.
Automatic Languages: Common and Elven. Bonus Languages: Any (other than secret languages, such as Druidic).
Favored Class: Any.

Half-Orcs
+2 Strength, -2 Charisma.
Medium: As Medium creatures, half-orcs have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
Half-orc base land speed is 30 feet.
Darkvision: Half-orcs (and orcs) can see in the dark up to 60 feet. Darkvision is black and white only, but it is otherwise like normal sight, and half-orcs can function just fine with no light at all.
4 extra skill points at 1st level, and 1 extra skill point at each additional level.
+2 racial bous to Survival and Intimidate checks
Mixed Blood: For all effects related to race, a half-orc is considered both an orc and a human, whichever would be more advantageous at the time.
Automatic Languages: Common and Orc. Bonus Languages: Draconic, Giant, Gnoll, Goblin, and Abyssal.
Favored Class: Barbarian. A multiclass half-orc’s barbarian class does not count when determining whether he takes an experience point penalty.

And now, several additional races, generally adapted from monster races

Half-Dwarf
Medium: As Medium creatures, half dwarves have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
Dwarf base land speed is 20 feet. However, like their dwarven ancestors, half dwarves can move at this speed even when wearing medium or heavy armor or when carrying a medium or heavy load (unlike other creatures, whose speed is reduced in such situations).
Darkvision: Half dwarves can see in the dark up to 30 feet. Darkvision is black and white only, but it is otherwise like normal sight, and dwarves can function just fine with no light at all.
Mixed Blood: For all effects related to race, a half dwarf is considered both dwarf and a human, whichever would be more advantageous at the time.
Dwarven Bones: A half dwarf gains Toughness as a bonus feat at first level (Improved Toughness, if not using my feat rules)
+1 racial bonus on saving throws against spells, spell-like effects, supernatural abilities, and poison.
Stability: A half dwarf gains a +4 bonus on ability checks made to resist being bull rushed or tripped when standing on the ground (but not when climbing, flying, riding, or otherwise not standing firmly on the ground).
Favored Class: Any

Kobold (Adventurer version)
+2 Dexterity, -2 Constitution.
Small: As a Small creature, a kobold gains a +1 size bonus to Armor Class, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, and a +4 size bonus on Hide checks, but he uses smaller weapons than humans use, and his lifting and carrying limits are three-quarters of those of a Medium character.
A kobold’s base land speed is 30 feet.
Darkvision out to 60 feet.
All Kobolds gain Trapfinding (as the rogue ability) at first level, regardless of their class. Disable Device and Search are always class skills, and the Kobold gains a +2 racial bonus with them.
Automatic Languages: Common, Draconic. Bonus Languages: Undercommon, Terran, Dwarven, Gnome.
Favored Class: Sorcerer.

Lizardfolk (Adventurer version)
+2 Strength, -2 Intelligence.
Medium size.
A lizardfolk’s base land speed is 30 feet.
+4 racial bonus on Balance, Jump, and Swim checks.
Natural Weapons: 2 claws (1d4) and bite (1d6). The claws are primary attacks, and the bite is secondary. A Lizardfolk can make a secondary bite attack even if wielding a weapon in both hands.
Hold breath— A lizardfolk can hold its breath for a number of rounds equal to four times its Constitution score before it risks drowning.
Automatic Languages: Common, Draconic. Bonus Languages: Aquan, Goblin, Gnoll, Orc.
Favored Class: Ranger.

Minotaur (Adventurer version)
+2 Strength, -2 Charisma
Medium size.
A minotaur’s base speed is 40ft.
Low-light vision
Natural Weapons: Gore (1d8)
Powerful Charge: A minotaur may double the normal penalty to AC from charging in order to deal +2d6 damage with his Gore attack. If he uses this ability, he may not make any other attacks as part of the charge.
Powerful Build: The physical stature of a minotaur lets him function in many ways as if they were one size category larger. Whenever a minotaur is subject to a size modifier or special size modifier for an opposed check (such as during grapple checks, bull rush attempts, and trip attempts), the minotaur is treated as one size larger if doing so is advantageous to him. A minotaur is also considered to be one size larger when determining whether a creature’s special attacks based on size (such as improved grab or swallow whole) can affect him. A minotaur can use weapons designed for a creature one size larger without penalty. However, his space and reach remain those of a creature of his actual size. The benefits of this racial trait stack with the effects of powers, abilities, and spells that change the subject’s size category.
Natural Cunning: A minotaur never gets lost. He always knows what direction north lies in and what path he has followed to get to his current location. This ability also gives him a +4 racial bonus to Survival checks. In addition, a minotaur always succeeds on Intelligence checks to escape a maze spell (and non-magical mazes).
Racial Hit Die: A minotaur must take his first “level” as a monstrous humanoid. Afterwards, he may proceed to take normal class levels.

NeoSeraphi
2012-01-19, 10:18 PM
Natural Cunning needs to grant a save bonus vs the maze spell. Seriously, that is just part of being a minotaur. (Its complete situational usefulness is what makes it so amazingly flavorful :smalltongue:)

I think the gnome favored class should stay bard. Gnomes are just...bards. That's how it's always been and nothing about your new gnome suggests it should be a sorcerer instead.

I think the kobold should always treat Search and Disable Device as class skills. (Otherwise the ability doesn't really help, as every class with Disable Device as a class skill already has Trapfinding)

For the dwarven weapon proficiencies, there is no SRD weapon called a "waraxe". You could either be talking about a "battleaxe" or a "warhammer", and I personally hope it's the second one, since common dwarf lore supports love of axes and hammers pretty equally.

I like that you made the halfling's bonus to saves a racial bonus. It seems a little overpowered, because now it's just a +1 to all saves that stacks with everything else, but hey, why not?

For Lizardfolk, you should specify which natural weapon (the claws or the bite) is their primary weapon.

This looks good!

Eldest
2012-01-19, 10:33 PM
Minotaurs are actually specifically immune to Maze. T'is in the spell description.

Grod_The_Giant
2012-01-19, 10:54 PM
Natural Cunning needs to grant a save bonus vs the maze spell. Seriously, that is just part of being a minotaur. (Its complete situational usefulness is what makes it so amazingly flavorful :smalltongue:)
You're right. I was a bit worried about

I think the gnome favored class should stay bard. Gnomes are just...bards. That's how it's always been and nothing about your new gnome suggests it should be a sorcerer instead.
I don't know, they've never seemed an exceptionally musical race to me. I think Beguiler is just about perfect, though. (I'll put both, since a core race should have a core favored class)

I think the kobold should always treat Search and Disable Device as class skills. (Otherwise the ability doesn't really help, as every class with Disable Device as a class skill already has Trapfinding)
Good point. Fixied.

For the dwarven weapon proficiencies, there is no SRD weapon called a "waraxe". You could either be talking about a "battleaxe" or a "warhammer", and I personally hope it's the second one, since common dwarf lore supports love of axes and hammers pretty equally.
Whoops. Fixed.

I like that you made the halfling's bonus to saves a racial bonus. It seems a little overpowered, because now it's just a +1 to all saves that stacks with everything else, but hey, why not?
I just double-checked the PHB and SRD; it's always been a racial bonus (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/races.htm#halflings).

For Lizardfolk, you should specify which natural weapon (the claws or the bite) is their primary weapon.
Will do.

This looks good!
Thanks!

NeoSeraphi
2012-01-19, 10:56 PM
I just double-checked the PHB and SRD; it's always been a racial bonus (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/races.htm#halflings).

The hell? :smallconfused: I could have sworn it was a luck bonus...

Grod_The_Giant
2012-01-20, 01:18 PM
The hell? :smallconfused: I could have sworn it was a luck bonus...
I don't know. It sounded right when you said it, but... <shrug>

gkathellar
2012-01-20, 04:44 PM
So out of curiosity, why do elves still suck?

Grod_The_Giant
2012-01-20, 05:05 PM
So out of curiosity, why do elves still suck?

I couldn't think of anything else useful and appropriate to give them? They were one of the "consolidation" races, rather than a "power-up" one like half orcs. Do you have a suggestion?

gkathellar
2012-01-20, 05:47 PM
At bare minimum, give them Weapon Familiarity with the various Elven weapons scattered around the supplements.

... and/or potentially more skill points, ala humans? It would help to approximate the great age of elves and elven culture.

Grod_The_Giant
2012-01-20, 09:19 PM
At bare minimum, give them Weapon Familiarity with the various Elven weapons scattered around the supplements.

... and/or potentially more skill points, ala humans? It would help to approximate the great age of elves and elven culture.

Not a bad idea-- I added the familiarity, and "Years of Experience: Elves may select any two skills and begin the game with four ranks in them. They may purchase addition ranks in these skills at a 1-1 ratio, even if they aren't class skills."