PDA

View Full Version : Paladin Spells! (3.5 PEACH)

NeoSeraphi
2012-01-19, 11:56 PM
In honor of me finally figuring out what the damned superscript code was, here is my first official piece of Seraphi HomebrewTM!

Divine Perception
Divination
Level: Pal 2
Components: S, DF
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: 10 min./level (D)

As you cast this spell, your connection with your deity becomes stronger, and suddenly, your ability to detect the evil in others' hearts amplifies, allowing you to instantly detect when a person is lying or otherwise being deceitful.

You gain a +30 bonus on Sense Motive checks made to avoid being bluffed, as well as to get a Hunch of what a person is feeling, to detect enchantment, and to discern secret messages. This does not allow for other uses of the Sense Motive skill, such as for resisting a Feint in Combat attempt, or for certain feats or class features such as the Combat Intuition feat.

Divine Preference
Evocation
Level: Pal 4
Components: V, S, DF
Duration: 1 round/level

Though your god may favor both clerics and paladins, he definitely has a preference for you. You have proven yourself worthy by following your code and smiting evil in the name of your god. When you need your god's assistance most, he or she will lend you powers a cleric never dreamed of.

This spell grants you a +2 luck bonus on your attack and weapon damage rolls per 3 caster levels, however, you may substitute your paladin class level for your caster level if your paladin level is higher. (minimum of +2, maximum of +12)

Holy Shackles
Evocation [Good] [Lawful]
Level: Pal 3
Range: Medium
Target: 1 living evil or chaotic creature
Saving Throw: Reflex Negates
SR: Yes

You speak the words of power and present your holy symbol, and the creature is bound in shackles of light and law. This spell can only be used on a creature of the evil and/or chaotic alignment. If the targeted creature is neither of these alignments, the spell has no effect.

The creature must make a Reflex save or be held for the duration of the spell. Additionally, certain creatures are more harshly affected by this spell than others. The DC for the saving throw of the spell changes as follows (if the creature meets more than one of the qualifications, such as a chaotic evil cleric of a chaotic evil deity, the DC increases stack, as long as they do not overlap [A cleric of a Chaotic Evil deity does not receive additional DC increases for worshipping a Chaotic or Evil deity, and a creature of both the [Chaotic] and [Evil] subtypes does not receive additional DC increases for having the [Chaotic] or [Evil] subtype, though it would receive an additional DC increase if its alignment was Chaotic Evil):

{table]Creature | DC
Creature is Chaotic Evil | +2
Creature is a Cleric or Paladin of a Chaotic or Evil Deity | +2
Creature is a Cleric or Paladin of a Chaotic Evil Deity | +4
Creature has the [Evil] or [Chaotic] subtype | +2
Creature has both the [Evil] and [Chaotic] subtypes | +4
[/table]

Righteous Fury/Holy Frenzy/Bloody Slaughter/Tyrannical Onslaught
Enchantment (Compulsion) [Mind-Affecting] [Good]/[Evil]/[Lawful]/[Chaotic]
Level: Pal 2
Duration: 1 round/level (D)

You instill in yourself fury beyond reason, and become able to lash out with fury at your opponents. However, your anger leaves you completely unable to defend yourself.

For the duration of this spell, you gain a +4 morale bonus to your Strength and Constitution scores, and a +2 morale bonus to your Will saves. Additionally, your Smite ability becomes usable at-will, and affects any creature with an opposing alignment component, rather than just Good/Evil. However, you are unable to cast any other spells, or use certain skills. You face all the restrictions of a normal barbarian's rage, except you retain use of your detect evil spell-like ability and may concentrate on it as normal. Additionally, you leave yourself completely open to retaliation by your foes. You are denied your Dexterity bonus (if any) to your AC for the duration of this spell, and you take an additional -2 penalty to your AC on top of that. (This allows rogues and similar classes to deal extra damage to you without flanking you)

This state lasts until the end of the spell. You are not fatigued when the spell completes.

Special: This spell can be cast by any paladin (see the SRD/UA variants). A paladin of honor casts this spell as a [Lawful] and [Good] spell, and calls it righteous fury. A paladin of freedom casts this spell as a [Chaotic] and [Good] spell, and calls it holy frenzy. A paladin of slaughter casts this spell as a [Chaotic] and [Evil] spell, and calls it bloody slaughter. A paladin of tyranny casts this spell as a [Lawful] and [Evil] spell, and calls it tyrannical onslaught.

Word of Law
Enchantment (Compulsion) [Mind-Affecting] [Lawful]
Level: Pal 1
Components: V, DF
Range: Close
Target: One creature
Duration: 1 round
Saving Throw: Will Negates
SR: Yes

You speak a single word and the creature is shocked still, unable to move under your watchful gaze. The affected creature must make a Will saving throw or be stunned for one round.

Word of Good
Enchantment [Mind-Affecting] [Good]
Components: V, DF
Target: Up to 1 allied creature per 2 caster levels, no 2 of which may be more than 30 ft apart
Saving Throw: Will Negates (Harmless)
SR: Yes (Harmless)

You speak the word of goodness and purity, and all your allies feel strength flow through them. The affected creatures (which may include you, as usual) receive a +1 morale bonus to their attack and damage rolls, +1 per 2 caster levels (max +6)

Special: A paladin with the Words of Creation feat (Book of Exalted Deeds) grants double the bonus from this spell, as if he were a bard using Inspire Courage (doing this deals 1d4 points of nonlethal damage to the paladin per creature the spell affects)

Holy Handcuffs
Evocation [Good] [Lawful]
Casting Time: 1 round
Target: One evil or chaotic Humanoid creature

This spell functions in all ways like holy shackles, except as noted above.

Maquise
2012-01-20, 12:07 AM
The wording on Divine Preference is kind of strange. Other than that, the spells seem fairly useful.

NeoSeraphi
2012-01-20, 12:10 AM
The wording on Divine Preference is kind of strange. Other than that, the spells seem fairly useful.

Do you mean the fluff text or the actual spell wording?

Circle of Life
2012-01-20, 12:15 AM
Divine Preference should either have a higher total bonus or be lower level. As it is, you only need CL (or Paladin level) 9 to max out the bonus, and you get 4th level spells at level 12.

NeoSeraphi
2012-01-20, 12:16 AM
Divine Preference should either have a higher total bonus or be lower level. As it is, you only need CL (or Paladin level) 9 to max out the bonus, and you get 4th level spells at level 12.

Woops! Copy and paste error, it should cap at 12. My bad!

Zaydos
2012-01-20, 12:18 AM
Divine Perception: Wonderful; finally anti-glibness (I'd actually allow this one to clerics just to give a good in game reason why glibness bards don't march over everything).

Divine Preference: Double divine favor, with a duration that can easily reach double. A part of me wants to say that it should be 3rd level (comparing it with Divine Power) but looking at 3rd level paladin spells on the SRD (too lazy to get out books right now) it's definitely 4th level (and paladins get cure spells as higher level spells than a cleric; WoTC you half their casting and feel you have to punish them further do you just hate paladins). Took me too long to post, with the upped max it's definitely 4th level but not too powerful of one (it won't last multiple combats with a 1 round duration, the feat that lets paladins cast as a swift action might make it really good but paladins could use the buff).

Holy Shackles: I like the fluff; however there are some problems. First can the creature still attempt a save each round like against hold person? Even then it's rather strong. It's the equivalent of a 4th to 6th level spell with up to a free +6 to the DC, no mind-affecting tag (a big plus), and targets the (on average) weakest save in the game for its level. This is much stronger than any paladin 3rd or even 4th level spell in Core and stronger than Divine Preference above it. Thanks to their low CL they'll have trouble with SR but I don't really think it fits with their other spells or even the ones you've presented here. I'd say drop the save DC increases and push it to level 4, give paladins an evil/chaotic only Hold Monster at the same spell level bards get it with the double advantage that it's not mind-affecting and it targets Reflex. Even then I'd be wary of allowing this in any game where there's an archivist with a chance to encounter a paladin that can cast this, but that's more archivists than this spell.

bloodtide
2012-01-20, 12:22 AM
Divine Perception looks fine or a basic skill boost spell. But as a Paladain can just cast zone of truth, it might not get much use. The effect should be an insight bonus, as in it's giving you 'divine insight'.

Does this spell effect the combat use of Bluff? If so then that does make this a very useful spell for paladins.

Divine Preference is just a version of divine favor. But for a 4th level spell i might add in some more stuff.

Holy Shackles is a version of Word of Binding, a 3rd level paladin spell found in the SC. Except word of binding can effect any foe and they are not 'held'. You might want to limit the size of the held creature too...as written you could holy shackle an evil planet. I'm not sure the higher DC just for 'evil folk' would work out. And the held creature does get a new save to break free each round, right?

NeoSeraphi
2012-01-20, 12:25 AM
Divine Perception: Wonderful; finally anti-glibness (I'd actually allow this one to clerics just to give a good in game reason why glibness bards don't march over everything).

Divine Preference: Double divine favor, with a duration that can easily reach double. A part of me wants to say that it should be 3rd level (comparing it with Divine Power) but looking at 3rd level paladin spells on the SRD (too lazy to get out books right now) it's definitely 4th level (and paladins get cure spells as higher level spells than a cleric; WoTC you half their casting and feel you have to punish them further do you just hate paladins).

Thank you. :smallbiggrin:

Holy Shackles: I like the fluff; however there are some problems. First can the creature still attempt a save each round like against hold person? Even then it's rather strong. It's the equivalent of a 4th to 6th level spell with up to a free +6 to the DC, no mind-affecting tag (a big plus), and targets the (on average) weakest save in the game for its level. This is much stronger than any paladin 3rd or even 4th level spell in Core and stronger than Divine Preference above it. Thanks to their low CL they'll have trouble with SR but I don't really think it fits with their other spells or even the ones you've presented here. I'd say drop the save DC increases and push it to level 4, give paladins an evil/chaotic only Hold Monster at the same spell level bards get it with the double advantage that it's not mind-affecting and it targets Reflex. Even then I'd be wary of allowing this in any game where there's an archivist with a chance to encounter a paladin that can cast this, but that's more archivists than this spell.

No, they cannot attempt to save each round as hold monster.

It doesn't fit with their other spells because for some stupid reason WotC decided paladins were Good characters with Law-lite, rather than just Lawful Good. Paladins need paladin-only Lawful spells with an actual Lawful feel (restriction, authority, punishment)

The same spell level bards get it? Bards get 6th level spells, and paladins only get 4ths. If I pushed it back to 4th, it wouldn't come online til 16th level, it would only last 8 rounds even then, and most paladins never get 4th level spells because most of the best paladin PrCs are half-casting advancement.

If I push it back to 4th, it'll be a 16th-20th level ability, with a terrible chance of penetrating SR (and most evil/chaotic outsiders have SR at that level), and it still has the problem of being a DC 14+Wisdom Will save, when a paladin needs Str, Con, and Cha before he ever needs Wisdom. The DC increases are meant to make up for the paladin's MAD and his inability to increase his base DC beyond 14 for even his best spells.

NeoSeraphi
2012-01-20, 12:32 AM
Divine Perception looks fine or a basic skill boost spell. But as a Paladain can just cast zone of truth, it might not get much use. The effect should be an insight bonus, as in it's giving you 'divine insight'.

Zone of Truth allows a saving throw. The DC is equal to 12+Wisdom. And paladins need Str, Con, and Cha before they need Wisdom. As for the insight bonus, it's more balanced as a competence bonus in my opinion, since then it doesn't stack with the +20 competence bonus magic items.

Does this spell effect the combat use of Bluff? If so then that does make this a very useful spell for paladins.

Are you referring to Feinting in Combat? No, it does not. Just as glibness does not allow bards to Feint better, divine perception does not allow paladins to resist Feinting better.

Divine Preference is just a version of divine favor. But for a 4th level spell i might add in some more stuff.

Okay, do you have any suggestions?

Holy Shackles is a version of Word of Binding, a 3rd level paladin spell found in the SC. Except word of binding can effect any foe and they are not 'held'. You might want to limit the size of the held creature too...as written you could holy shackle an evil planet. I'm not sure the higher DC just for 'evil folk' would work out. And the held creature does get a new save to break free each round, right?

The creature does not get a save to break free each round. It's not hold monster. And what's the problem with holding a creature who's higher level? It's magic. It has nothing to do with how big the paladin is, he can shackle any creature, since he draws his power from a deity.

Word of binding is...decent, but it's nothing like this. This is more like holy light appearing and capturing the creature, sealing its movement and abilities, and rendering it helpless.

NeoSeraphi
2012-01-20, 12:57 AM
Sorry for the triple post, wanted to say that I added righteous fury to the mix. Should help the paladin get his divine crusader on. Still thinking of other spells to add.

bloodtide
2012-01-20, 12:59 AM
Are you referring to Feinting in Combat? No, it does not. Just as glibness does not allow bards to Feint better, divine perception does not allow paladins to resist Feinting better.

It might be better if the spell allowed a defense vs. bluff in combat. It would give paladins a nice boost vs sneak attacks and such. And it makes it 'not just a copy of Glibness'. And paladins could get much use out of detecting enchantments and secret messages too. Does it not sound right that a paladin would get a divine bonus to see if a friend was charmed or such?

Okay, do you have any suggestions?

The obvious would be something like ''the attack is considered [Good] and [Lawful]'', maybe even the holy weapon enhancement? A even better boost would be to allow the attack to count as silver, iron or the like to over come resistances.

The creature does not get a save to break free each round. It's not hold monster. And what's the problem with holding a creature who's higher level? It's magic. It has nothing to do with how big the paladin is, he can shackle any creature, since he draws his power from a deity.

Word of binding is...decent, but it's nothing like this. This is more like holy light appearing and capturing the creature, sealing its movement and abilities, and rendering it helpless.

If you go down the no save each round for the hold effect, your getting in to the save or die type spell effect. All a paladin needs is a lucky roll and they can kill(or capture) anyone. This, in general makes for less fun in the game...as most people hate to hear ''you failed your save and your character is held and can do nothing. Go watch TV or sit in the corner and we will come get you when your allowed to play again''. Just think would you like to sit out a game while your character was held in Vile Shackles?

It's not about 'level', it's about size. A low level spell should not be able to hold a large or bigger creature. For example hold person can't hold a dragon. Do you think a 3rd level paladin spell should be able to hold an evil dragon helpless? Round 1 cast spell, round 2 kill dragon, round 3 loot and go home? It should be limited to at least large size and less.

NeoSeraphi
2012-01-20, 01:15 AM
It might be better if the spell allowed a defense vs. bluff in combat. It would give paladins a nice boost vs sneak attacks and such. And it makes it 'not just a copy of Glibness'. And paladins could get much use out of detecting enchantments and secret messages too. Does it not sound right that a paladin would get a divine bonus to see if a friend was charmed or such?

It's not supposed to be used in combat, but I suppose I'll let it affect secret messages and detecting enchantments as well.

The obvious would be something like ''the attack is considered [Good] and [Lawful]'', maybe even the holy weapon enhancement? A even better boost would be to allow the attack to count as silver, iron or the like to over come resistances.

The problem is, holy sword and lawful sword already do that, and they're both 4th level spells as well. Don't want to steal their thunder.

If you go down the no save each round for the hold effect, your getting in to the save or die type spell effect. All a paladin needs is a lucky roll and they can kill(or capture) anyone. This, in general makes for less fun in the game...as most people hate to hear ''you failed your save and your character is held and can do nothing. Go watch TV or sit in the corner and we will come get you when your allowed to play again''. Just think would you like to sit out a game while your character was held in Vile Shackles?

Even so, every caster has at least one of those except paladins and rangers. Doesn't the paladin deserve the option?

It's not about 'level', it's about size. A low level spell should not be able to hold a large or bigger creature. For example hold person can't hold a dragon. Do you think a 3rd level paladin spell should be able to hold an evil dragon helpless? Round 1 cast spell, round 2 kill dragon, round 3 loot and go home? It should be limited to at least large size and less.

No, I don't believe a 3rd level paladin spell should be able to hold an evil dragon helpless. Mostly because the typical evil dragon has an SR of close to 28 or above, and even a 20th level paladin with the Practiced Caster feat would only have a 25% chance of penetrating its spell resistance. (And even then the DC for the spell would be extremely pitiful, maximum of 21+Wis if the dragon was a chaotic evil cleric of Tiamat)

It's not a "low-level spell". Paladins don't get 3rd level spells until 11th level. That makes it the equivalent of a 6th level cleric or wizard spell. It should not face Size restrictions, especially since the paladin has such few good spellcasting toys to play with anyway.

Lappy9001
2012-01-20, 01:17 AM
Thank you for giving me a reason to actually progress far enough into Paladin to get spellcasting :smallcool:

NeoSeraphi
2012-01-20, 01:19 AM
Thank you for giving me a reason to actually progress far enough into Paladin to get spellcasting :smallcool:

Haha. I'm not done yet! I haven't come up with a single 1st level spell yet, and I have so many other ideas floating around. Paladins need the love though. They definitely shouldn't get 0 spell slots for the first two levels they have access to the spell level. :smallsigh: Really, WotC? Along with 1/2 class CL, and casting based on a stat that is not the same stat that every other class feature is based around, you had to give the paladin almost no spell slots. And then you turn around and print the duskblade! Really? :smallfurious:

Edit: Added word of law and word of good!

Deepbluediver
2012-01-20, 12:41 PM
I really like Divine Perception; I may add it in to my ongoing spell-list rewrite.

Righteous Fury seems like a decent spell, but it just doesn't feel very paladin-ish. I would rather just give the paladin access to Divine Power and/or Righteous might. Unless of course you are using the Chatoic-Good variant from Unearthed Arcana.

NeoSeraphi
2012-01-20, 12:45 PM
I really like Divine Perception; I may add it in to my ongoing spell-list rewrite.

Righteous Fury seems like a decent spell, but it just doesn't feel very paladin-ish. I would rather just give the paladin access to Divine Power and/or Righteous might. Unless of course you are using the Chatoic-Good variant from Unearthed Arcana.

Divine Power doesn't help a paladin very much, seeing as to a paladin it's just a Strength boost with a few temporary hit points. Any paladin worth his salt would rather cast draconic might from the Spell Compendium than divine power.

Righteous fury is indeed somewhat chaotic. Sure, I'll add the [Chaotic] descriptor and make it so it's only for paladins of slaughter/freedom.

absolmorph
2012-01-20, 03:23 PM

I don't see how Righteous Fury doesn't fit a paladin.
The purpose of the class is to find evil and beat its face in. Righteous Fury lets you do that better, with a small cost to go with the benefit.
Rage doesn't seem like something that goes against what makes a paladin (as mentioned, finding evil and beating its face in), so why should it be limited to Chaotic variants?

NeoSeraphi
2012-01-20, 03:30 PM
I don't see how Righteous Fury doesn't fit a paladin.
The purpose of the class is to find evil and beat its face in. Righteous Fury lets you do that better, with a small cost to go with the benefit.
Rage doesn't seem like something that goes against what makes a paladin (as mentioned, finding evil and beating its face in), so why should it be limited to Chaotic variants?

This was my original line of thinking. However, I believe he was referring to the general "disciplined warrior" feeling of a lawful character, and how it clashed badly with "I can't cast spells, use skills or even retain my Dex mod to AC ROAR!" feeling of righteous fury.

Deepbluediver
2012-01-20, 07:59 PM
This was my original line of thinking. However, I believe he was referring to the general "disciplined warrior" feeling of a lawful character, and how it clashed badly with "I can't cast spells, use skills or even retain my Dex mod to AC ROAR!" feeling of righteous fury.

Yeah, I was all for a spell that made the paladin more effective in combat, just the fluff and mechanics needed to be different, because this is basically rage-in-a-can, which is just about the antithesis of a lawful character.
That's why I suggested either Divine Power or Righteous might.

If that other spell mentioned though (dragon's might, I think?) has a better feel to it, just modify that.

NeoSeraphi
2012-01-20, 11:05 PM
Yeah, I was all for a spell that made the paladin more effective in combat, just the fluff and mechanics needed to be different, because this is basically rage-in-a-can, which is just about the antithesis of a lawful character.

If that other spell mentioned though (dragon's might, I think?) has a better feel to it, just modify that.

Divine Power's real draw is the full BAB, but a paladin already has that. Draconic might gives you a +4 enhancement bonus to your Strength, Constitution, and Charisma scores, as well as a +4 enhancement to your natural armor. It also makes you immune to sleep and paralysis. It's Pal 4. It doesn't need to be modified, it's just pure win.

absolmorph
2012-01-21, 01:31 AM

Rage-in-a-can is the antithesis of a lawful character? Taking something powerful, restraining it and metaphorically canning it for use when wanted is the antithesis of lawful?
Sir, I must disagree.
However, in the interest of not causing this to devolve into an alignment debate (I have nothing new to add to one, and they're tedious and divisive), my suggestion is that it be reworded so it allows the smite to function on any creature with an opposing alignment component.

NeoSeraphi
2012-01-21, 01:33 AM
Rage-in-a-can is the antithesis of a lawful character? Taking something powerful, restraining it and metaphorically canning it for use when wanted is the antithesis of lawful?
Sir, I must disagree.
However, in the interest of not causing this to devolve into an alignment debate (I have nothing new to add to one, and they're tedious and divisive), my suggestion is that it be reworded so it allows the smite to function on any creature with an opposing alignment component.

You make a convincing argument, and in the interest of avoiding being cursed by your avatar, I shall comply with your demands. Please don't hex me! :smallbiggrin:

absolmorph
2012-01-21, 02:33 AM
You make a convincing argument, and in the interest of avoiding being cursed by your avatar, I shall comply with your demands. Please don't hex me! :smallbiggrin:
Why thank you :smallsmile:
And you even gave the Lawful versions their own names! :smallbiggrin:
You can rest easy with the knowledge that neither I, nor my avatar, will be hexing you any time soon :smalltongue:

Steward
2012-01-30, 10:17 AM
Could you see yourself making a weaker version of Holy Shackles, for a lower-level paladin? Something like "holy handcuffs", that only works on humanoids in the same way that Hold Person (as opposed to Hold Monster) only works on humanoids?

NeoSeraphi
2012-01-30, 11:02 AM
Could you see yourself making a weaker version of Holy Shackles, for a lower-level paladin? Something like "holy handcuffs", that only works on humanoids in the same way that Hold Person (as opposed to Hold Monster) only works on humanoids?

Sure, I'll do that now.

Steward
2012-01-30, 05:58 PM
Thanks, man!