PDA

View Full Version : [3.X]Thoughts on a feat to get Share Spells with a Wild Cohort?

Coidzor
2012-01-20, 01:19 AM
Worth a feat by itself? Worth two feats? Needs something minor to go with it to make it work properly or be worthwhile, such as free or swift action handling rather than move action?

GoodbyeSoberDay
2012-01-20, 01:36 AM
Companion Spellbond is a reasonable approximation of the feat you're looking for. If you believe that feat is a good balance point, I would limit the effectiveness of shared spells for the wild cohort in the same way CS does - you must be within 30 feet.

Diarmuid
2012-01-20, 10:17 AM
Does Wild Cohort grant the initial share spells within 5' that's already inherent in the animal companion though?

Without that base, I think you're missing a link jumping right to a link out to 30'.

Gnaeus
2012-01-20, 10:36 AM
I think it is worth more than a feat. Druid casting is the weakest of big 3. A wizard cohort can enjoy spells like shield, lots of good touch attacks, armor spells, alter self, polymorph, etc. An archivist pet could be downright sick.

dextercorvia
2012-01-20, 10:40 AM
Silverwood Arcanist grants this as its capstone at level 5.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2012-01-20, 10:44 AM
Special: Druids and rangers who take the wild cohort feat gain an animal cohort in addition to their animal companion. Although the two abilities are similar, they follow different sets of rules and must be tracked separately.

Sorcerer/Wizard (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#sorcererWizard)
A sorcerer or wizard might desire a more durable companion to accompany him on excursions into the wilderness.

Gain
Animal companion (as druid; treat sorcerer or wizard as a druid of half his class level).

Lose
Familiar.
Start as Wizard or Sorcerer, trade your Familiar for an Animal Companion, take Wild Cohort, designate the same creature as the beneficiary of both, share spells by virtue of the Animal Companion benefits.

Alternatively (and questionably), a Druid or Ranger could simply dismiss their initial Wild Cohort and their current Animal Companion, and then recruit a new animal which is the beneficiary of both. It specifies that the two abilities and the benefits they grant must be tracked separately, but not that they cannot both be combined onto the same creature. As long as the particular animal you pick is eligible to be benefit from each ability, it should be possible.

dextercorvia
2012-01-20, 10:55 AM
"In addition to" seems to imply that they are two creatures, who are tracked separately, rather than stackable.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2012-01-20, 10:57 AM
"In addition to" seems to imply that they are two creatures, who are tracked separately, rather than stackable.

That's why I specified that it was questionable. However, it is just as much implied that that only applies to Druids and Rangers, but not to any other class which gains an animal companion.

Palanan
2012-01-20, 11:00 AM
Well, "different sets of rules and must be tracked separately" seems like a firm separation to me.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2012-01-20, 11:05 AM
Well, "different sets of rules and must be tracked separately" seems like a firm separation to me.

Indeed, the level-based progressions of the two sets of benefits would be tracked separately based on your character/class level, while still applying each set of benefits to the same creature.

Coidzor
2012-01-20, 01:21 PM
Silverwood Arcanist grants this as its capstone at level 5.

Indeed, I am aware of that, but I ask the question regardless.

TroubleBrewing
2012-01-20, 01:46 PM
*Sigh*... Where's Curmudgeon when you need him?

dextercorvia
2012-01-20, 02:39 PM
Indeed, I am aware of that, but I ask the question regardless.

It's probably a little too good for one feat. I think at least two. Maybe the first one gives you the swift action handle.

Although, if you just want about the same effect, you can take the Animal Companion Variant+Natural Bond, and then add your familiar back with Obtain Familiar.

Based on that, I would say two feats is just about perfect.