PDA

View Full Version : Split Disintegrate

navar100
2012-01-20, 09:39 AM
Suppose I cast Split Ray Disintegrate. Can I see the result of the first ray before deciding where to aim the second one? If my opponent makes his save, I'd likely aim for him again, but if he fails the save, I'd like to attack someone else, even if he survives all the damage.

This goes for any Split Ray, of course, I just like the idea of casting Split Ray Disintegrate. :belkar:

Diarmuid
2012-01-20, 09:42 AM
You make all pertinent decisions about a spell (range, target, area, effect, version, and so forth) when the spell comes into effect.

Think about Magic Missle and Scorching Ray, neither allows selective targetting based on partial results.

navar100
2012-01-20, 12:54 PM
Darn.

Still considering taking Split Ray anyway.

Venger
2012-01-20, 01:38 PM
Darn.

Still considering taking Split Ray anyway.

split ray's certainly not the worst metamagic feat, but since it only works on rays (of which there are rather few) it's usually worth making a list of the ray spells that you use on a regular basis and see if you might not get better utility out of chain spell (+3 metamagic)

what is your other metamagic feat, if you don't mind my asking? (since split ray, like almost all others requires another metamagic feat first) if you picked reach spell to turn touch spells into rays and then split those rays with split ray (or not, and just shoot off ranged shivering touches and whatnot) then I have a wonderful and somewhat obscure metamagic feat I think you should be made aware of

ocular spell

it's in LoM, and all you kneed is know(dungeoneering 4) and 2 or more eyes. you can cast 2 spells (1 in each eye) and store them there for up to 8 hours. the spells can be anything with a range other than personal and they are transformed into rays with a range of 60ft (twice that of reach spell, plus it works with nontouch spells too, such as spells that are already rays, aoes if you hate yourself,spells with close range for the medium levels, etc) and you can fire both rays at the same time (at 2 different targets) as a full-round action, it's also a +2 level adjuster for metamagic.

it's like having reach spell (but better) and although it does require 2 spells to target 2 guys at once, unlike split ray, it does allow you to do them in just 1 round with 2 different spells, which split ray can't do.

if you're ray focused (a spellwarp sniper or what have you) then by all means take split ray, just think about taking ocular spell too. is disintegrate cool? hell yes. is shooting 2 disintegrates OUT OF YOUR EYES cool? definitely. depending on the spells and what sort of metamagic reducers you have in place, you could even store a pair of split ray spells in your eyes to fire out 4 rays at 4 different enemies as one full-round action.

ShneekeyTheLost
2012-01-20, 01:51 PM
You know, just to make Beholder Mage spam even more fun... ocular spell + Beholder form = lots and lots of ocular spell spam....

Venger
2012-01-20, 02:00 PM
You know, just to make Beholder Mage spam even more fun... ocular spell + Beholder form = lots and lots of ocular spell spam....

forgot to mention, even if you have more than 2 eyes, you can only store two spells via ocular spell (which is why I only used 2 spells in my examples). since this is from LoM, this is a rare instance of them anticipating exactly what conclusion players would draw.

otherwise you should go out and snap up all those nasty eye grafts if your DM is sane and won't let you do beholder things

navar100
2012-01-21, 12:16 AM
I'm playing a Pathfinder Sorcerer Arcane bloodline. I'm only 6th level now, just planning for the future. I have Ray of Enfeeblement now, most likely I'll take Scorching Ray next level, and I'm definitely learning Disintegrate, probably as the first 6th level spell I learn but I'll see then. I haven't decided yet on Enervation, but I might have room.

I have Empower Spell now. Will definitely take Sculpt Spell next level. Split Ray is just in thinking mode for some level 13 or higher. 9th is Craft Rod to make my own metamagic rods. 11th is probably Leadership for roleplaying purposes, and Craft Miscellaneous Item is a strong candidate for 13th level for roleplay and mechanics, but I need to see what my wealth is like. Right now campaign is a bit cash poor. If I still have to pour everything into rods Craft Miscellaneous Item can wait, but that's seven levels from now anyway so anything can happen. I'm also considering Quicken Spell at that high level, but I might have crafted my own rod of it anyway. I don't mind the +5 Spellcraft DC for not having the feat.