PDA

View Full Version : Spears

Lord Ruby34
2012-01-20, 09:40 PM
Are there any feats other than Long Reach that focus on using spears, or help quite a bit? I can't find anything else, and I'd like to know my options for the next character I build.

Ivellius
2012-01-20, 10:15 PM
Far Shot doubles range increments. It's probably not something you had in mind as, hey, getting rid of your weapon is awesome, but I think it'd actually make a decent-ish option to have. I mean, for a thrown weapon a spear will do a lot of damage, so there's that.

Rapidghoul
2012-01-20, 11:47 PM
Short Haft. Lets you use a reach weapon in adjacent squares. Honestly though I'd just slap on the Changeling enhancement on it for 2000 gold instead and just switch between spear / short spear / long spear as you want.

Coidzor
2012-01-21, 01:32 AM
Aberrant Reach and Willing Deformity (Tall) both help increase one's base reach.

There's a feat related to halberds and using the stabby/slashy end and then bashing with the haft, I could see that getting OK'd to work with a non-long spear as well.

Gan The Grey
2012-01-21, 03:31 AM
Most of the weapon feats in Dragon Compendium focus on spear usage. I'm afb right now, but I think there are somewhere around 6 to 8 separate feats it there.

Lord Ruby34
2012-01-21, 11:08 AM
Most of the weapon feats in Dragon Compendium focus on spear usage. I'm afb right now, but I think there are somewhere around 6 to 8 separate feats it there.

Drat, that's one of the few splatbooks I don't have access to.

Far Shot doubles range increments. It's probably not something you had in mind as, hey, getting rid of your weapon is awesome, but I think it'd actually make a decent-ish option to have. I mean, for a thrown weapon a spear will do a lot of damage, so there's that.

Hmm. If I have an extra feat I might take it. Point blank shot as a prerequisite sucks though.

Short Haft. Lets you use a reach weapon in adjacent squares. Honestly though I'd just slap on the Changeling enhancement on it for 2000 gold instead and just switch between spear / short spear / long spear as you want.

Yup, I was already planning on grabbing that property.

Aberrant Reach and Willing Deformity (Tall) both help increase one's base reach.

There's a feat related to halberds and using the stabby/slashy end and then bashing with the haft, I could see that getting OK'd to work with a non-long spear as well.

I'll look at the second one, but Aberrant Feats really don't fit my character concept. I'm going for an unremarkable spear-wielding warrior with a large bag of tricks.

Actually, another question based on that. Is it possible to use a Twohanded weapon and Unarmed Strikes for Two weapon fighting. Taking a hand off a weapon is a free action after all, and I wouldn't necessarily even need one.

Daftendirekt
2012-01-21, 11:13 AM
Actually, another question based on that. Is it possible to use a Twohanded weapon and Unarmed Strikes for Two weapon fighting. Taking a hand off a weapon is a free action after all, and I wouldn't necessarily even need one.

Yeah, because I believe somewhere in the monk's section it specifically says that unarmed strikes can be with elbows, fists, feet, etc. So you can stabbity stab and then kick in the shin.

IdleMuse
2012-01-21, 11:13 AM

Sure, I mean, you wouldn't even need to take your hand off the spear; you could kick, headbutt, elbow, whatever; IUS doesn't specify using your hands, as convenient as they are.

Lord Ruby34
2012-01-21, 11:23 AM
That's what I thought, cool.

Here's a rough build outline of what I was planning.

Overwhelming Attack (or Passive Way) Monk 2 or Unarmed Swordsage 2/Warblade X. I'd grab Long Reach (Unapproachable East) at First level, then Two Weapon Fighting, and depending on if I took that monk levels or not, Power Attack and another feat. At ninth level I'd grab Snap Kick. Everything else is a bit fuzzier. We have a houserule that Two-weapon fighting is condensed down to one feat, so I don't need to bother with the rest of the line.

TL;DR, I was wondering if there was another two level dip that would help, and what my feats should be. I'd like to avoid shocktrooper, if only because this is supposed to be a tier three game.