PDA

View Full Version : Community Monster Class Competition V: It Came From the North voting thread

Mystic Muse
2012-01-21, 12:50 AM
GITP Community Monster Class Competition IV:It Came From the North

Voting Thread

http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb443/Zernobog888/water_colossus_by_farkwhad-d3itl81-1.png

You will vote for two things on this thread, the monster class from last month's competion that you think is the best, and a theme for the next contest. The deadline for this voting thread will (tentatively) be the end of this month.

Rules

1) First, you will vote for one monster class entry that you think is the best.

Contest Entries
Rimefire Eidolon By ChumpLump (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=12529698&postcount=3)

Thrym Hound by TheGeckoKing. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=12493203&postcount=2)

If you are unsure how to judge a monster class, following these guidelines:

Originality - The monster class should be unique. It should stand out from the rest, as a class.
Playability - The monster should allow for fluid, engaging, amusing and uninterrupted play at the table.
Balance - The monster should be balanced enough that it's not going to hold the group back or dominate everything without even trying, both overall and at a given stage in its development.
Elegance - The page which details the monster for the player should look good and be easy to understand.
Flavor - Last but certainly not least, we want to preserve the flavor and the atmosphere of the monster the monster class is based off of.

Feel free to explain your vote, even using the guidelines as an explanation if you want. You can vote for your own monster class creation if you truly feel that it is the best entry. In the case of a tie, I will vote on the disputed themes.

2) Second, you will vote for the theme of the upcoming contest. I am not offering any suggestions for a theme this month; I want to see what you guys can collaborate on. I suggest offering many ideas for a theme when you post, in order to get the ball rolling. that way, others can tell you which ideas they like from your list, and add to it.

Whichever theme has the most votes by the end of the month will be used for next month's contest. In the case of a tie, I will vote on the disputed themes.

Saidoro
2012-01-21, 01:13 PM
Rimefire EidolonOriginality - Eidolon is warlock. Better warlock, but the core is the same.
Playability - The monster has a wide variety of choices in combat without having so many things to account for that it bogs the game down, and also has options applicable out of combat. A well designed class.
Balance - The big problem here is it's damage types. Fire and frost are the two most commonly resisted types and while the fact that it can deal half of each means it can bypass immunities the same fact makes it significantly worse in cases where the opponent has both. Demons for example, are all basically immune to any direct damage from the eidolon even at ninth level. It still has a few things it can do against such opponents but both resistances are so common that I can't really see this as not being a major problem.
Elegance - Easy to understand, play and create. I see no unfortunate wording or needless complexity.
Flavor - The class includes a decent description summing up what it's meant to represent. Although, admittedly I'm still not sure why a shard of an ice god would have fire powers.
Thyrm Hound
Originality - It's a natural weapon fighter with some cold-based aoe. Kudos on making a melee class which uses wis for something useful besides spellcasting.
Playability - It doesn't really have all that many options, especially at lower levels. Demoralizing really isn't a good option and while Frostbite howl makes it actually usable you still don't really have any significant choices to make until 4th level.
Balance - The Natural armor is a bit excessive, but I suppose if it can't wear any armor it's fine(though I'd hate to see one of these dipping monk and taking VoP). No problems, as far as I can see.
Elegance - Easy to understand play and create, no problems here.
Flavor - Winter Wolf is Winter Wolf. Everyone already knows the fluff here, it's a big scary cold thing with teeth and all of its abilities are big scary cold thing with teeth things. No problems here.
I'm giving my vote to the Rimefire Eidolon based on playability. Balance can be compensated for by the DM far more easily than a lack of options.

Ideas for the next contest:Deep Blue Sea(water-based creatures), The Boundless Void(SPAAAAAAAACE (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVn1oQL9sWg)... or negative energy or whatever), Burning Hate(Fire-y and/or Evil Things), That Which is Hidden(Ambush predators and other stealthy stuff)