PDA

View Full Version : Baldur's Gate Trilogy - Fighter Kit Help

Morty
2012-01-21, 03:35 PM
Recently, I've had the feeling that I'd like to play Baldur's Gate again. Like last time, I'd do so with mods, including Baldur's Gate Trilogy. I'd like to run a Lawful Evil fighter, like I did in BG1 once. However, I'd like him to have a kit, because vanilla fighter is a bit bland, and I'd have two other Fighters in BG1. The problem is, I don't really want a Berserker, since Korgan is already one and I think BGT turns Shar-Teel into one as well. Kensai is too much of a glass canon for me. So the only other option is Mageslayer. I actually like the idea of the class, but of course, in an unmodded game it's worthless. There are mods for it, but I'm still not sure if they make it worth playing. So, my question boils down to: has anyone had any experience with the Mageslayer class in BG2 after using mods to strengthen it?

arguskos
2012-01-21, 04:00 PM
Recently, I've had the feeling that I'd like to play Baldur's Gate again. Like last time, I'd do so with mods, including Baldur's Gate Trilogy. I'd like to run a Lawful Evil fighter, like I did in BG1 once. However, I'd like him to have a kit, because vanilla fighter is a bit bland, and I'd have two other Fighters in BG1. The problem is, I don't really want a Berserker, since Korgan is already one and I think BGT turns Shar-Teel into one as well. Kensai is too much of a glass canon for me. So the only other option is Mageslayer. I actually like the idea of the class, but of course, in an unmodded game it's worthless. There are mods for it, but I'm still not sure if they make it worth playing. So, my question boils down to: has anyone had any experience with the Mageslayer class in BG2 after using mods to strengthen it?
Wizard Slayer isn't quite as bad as it seems at first blush actually. It's not amazing, sure, but it's not terrible. This (http://www.pocketplane.net/mambo/index.php?option=content&task=blogcategory&id=92&Itemid=77) mod increases your MR gain pretty substantially, which is nice.This (http://readme.spellholdstudios.net/readme_wsr.html) is a much more comprehensive set of changes, and well worth looking into if you want to run a Wizard Slayer.

Kish
2012-01-21, 04:23 PM
You might also want to look into Westley Weimer's Tactics (http://www.weidu.org/) mod, it adds two fighter kits.

Morty
2012-01-21, 06:05 PM
Wizard Slayer isn't quite as bad as it seems at first blush actually. It's not amazing, sure, but it's not terrible. This (http://www.pocketplane.net/mambo/index.php?option=content&task=blogcategory&id=92&Itemid=77) mod increases your MR gain pretty substantially, which is nice.This (http://readme.spellholdstudios.net/readme_wsr.html) is a much more comprehensive set of changes, and well worth looking into if you want to run a Wizard Slayer.

The second mod looks good, thanks for linking it. What I'm mostly worried about is the lack of Strength-enchancing items - on higher levels, inability to wear all those belts, gauntlets and such that enchance your Strength is going to be a bit crippling.

You might also want to look into Westley Weimer's Tactics (http://www.weidu.org/) mod, it adds two fighter kits.

I'm familiar with those. The Archer kit is very solid, but I want to play a melee fighter. I considered Anti-Paladin, but it seems a little overpowered with all the abilities of an Inquisitor, Fighter's XP progression, Grandmastery in weapons and Dispel Magic on hit.

Mx.Silver
2012-01-21, 06:26 PM
I considered Anti-Paladin, but it seems a little overpowered with all the abilities of an Inquisitor, Fighter's XP progression, Grandmastery in weapons and Dispel Magic on hit.
Nice to see the modding tradition of completely ignoring the idea of class balance carries on :smalltongue:

Arbitrarity
2012-01-21, 06:45 PM
Nice to see the modding tradition of completely ignoring the idea of class balance carries on :smalltongue:

Install SCSII + Tactics mix, play on insanity. That way, you can just not care about classes being "overpowered".

arguskos
2012-01-21, 07:35 PM
Install SCSII + Tactics mix, play on insanity. That way, you can just not care about classes being "overpowered".
Jesus, might as well just shoot yourself while you're there. The only way you can make that much harder is if you then run it in BGT, solo, with a Beastmaster or something equally worthless.

Kinda sounds like a party, actually.

Morty
2012-01-23, 03:03 PM
Ah yes, Beastmaster. Sacrificing all weapons except for clubs, staves and bows for the ability to summon a couple of useless animals? Can't see anything wrong with that, no sir.
Anyway, I don't intend to play on Insanity or with Tactics, so I'm still concerned with class balance. :smalltongue:

arguskos
2012-01-23, 03:08 PM
Ah yes, Beastmaster. Sacrificing all weapons except for clubs, staves and bows for the ability to summon a couple of useless animals? Can't see anything wrong with that, no sir.
Anyway, I don't intend to play on Insanity or with Tactics, so I'm still concerned with class balance. :smalltongue:
Bah! Class balance is for chumps! Obviously, Kensai/Mage dual-class FOREVER! :smallcool: Ok, seriously, yeah not so much on that one. I prefer Cleric/Mage myself. B-)

Morty
2012-01-23, 03:11 PM
Kensai, whether multiclasser or not, is a wee bit too much of a glass cannon for me. Sure, you'll hit hard but until you can find lots of magical items that increase AC that you can wear, you'll get a beating from everything.

arguskos
2012-01-23, 03:13 PM
Kensai, whether multiclasser or not, is a wee bit too much of a glass cannon for me. Sure, you'll hit hard but until you can find lots of magical items that increase AC that you can wear, you'll get a beating from everything.
And yet, it's statistically the best kit in the game for warriors. Why/how, I don't 100% understand, but there it stands.

I've actually run a Kensai/Mage dual a few times, and it's pretty damn terrifying. With a high Dex and a few protective items, you can be tankier as a Kensai in BG1 than actual warriors (seriously, Kensai can tank surprisingly well). Later on, in ToB, yeah, they're not toe-to-toeing with anything that matters, but that's why you dual into Mage, so you can just MAGIKZ(tm) everything.

It *is* damn boring though, let me tell you. Winning by virtue of "Kensai/Mage=good" gets old quickly.

Arbitrarity
2012-01-23, 03:48 PM
And yet, it's statistically the best kit in the game for warriors. Why/how, I don't 100% understand, but there it stands.

I've actually run a Kensai/Mage dual a few times, and it's pretty damn terrifying. With a high Dex and a few protective items, you can be tankier as a Kensai in BG1 than actual warriors (seriously, Kensai can tank surprisingly well). Later on, in ToB, yeah, they're not toe-to-toeing with anything that matters, but that's why you dual into Mage, so you can just MAGIKZ(tm) everything.

It *is* damn boring though, let me tell you. Winning by virtue of "Kensai/Mage=good" gets old quickly.

Free attack/damage is too strong. In ToB, every enemy is GOING to hit you, regardless of AC. So you need to kill them faster. Kensai doesn't miss, and does TONS of damage. I prefer Berserker a bit, due to immunities, but permanent +6 to hit and damage is pretty ridiculous.

Morty
2012-01-23, 03:54 PM
The bit about AC is definetly true... in ToB, Thac0 and attack bonuses outpace AC so bad that most enemies will hit you provided they don't roll a natural one anyway. As a Swashbuckler, I managed to get my AC to -25, but it didn't do all that much.
Still, if I do re-install the Baldur's Gate Trilogy, I'll try the Wizard Slayer with a mod. Hopefully it'll work... the lack of Strength-boosters will become a real problem late into BG2 anyway.

Arbitrarity
2012-01-23, 04:16 PM
The bit about AC is definetly true... in ToB, Thac0 and attack bonuses outpace AC so bad that most enemies will hit you provided they don't roll a natural one anyway. As a Swashbuckler, I managed to get my AC to -25, but it didn't do all that much.
Still, if I do re-install the Baldur's Gate Trilogy, I'll try the Wizard Slayer with a mod. Hopefully it'll work... the lack of Strength-boosters will become a real problem late into BG2 anyway.

Use Crom Faeyr. Problem solved :P

Winthur
2012-01-23, 07:01 PM
If you are looking for modded game, you might as well play the Morituri. Always kill, never die.

Morty
2012-01-24, 12:40 PM
Use Crom Faeyr. Problem solved :P

Maybe I will. :smalltongue:

If you are looking for modded game, you might as well play the Morituri. Always kill, never die.

Tempting, but it requires you to be Good, and I'd like this guy to be Lawful Neutral or Lawful Evil.