PDA

View Full Version : Help/Advice on optimizing my Soulbow

Proski
2012-01-21, 04:19 PM
Hello all! This character is going to be a back-up in case my original dies horribly (which is entirely possible). Any advice or help that can be offered will be gratefully received, as I'm a bit stumped at CL 12 and not sure where to go from there (and any advice through CL 12 would be appreciated as well). The level-by level breakdown is this:

LG Human
Soulknife 1: Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot, (2 flaws), Rapid Shot, Combat Expertise, and Weapon Focus (Mind Blade) for free
Soulknife 2:
Soulknife 2/Ranger 1: Zen Archery
SoulKnife 2/Ranger 2: Two-Weapon Fighting (ranger class feature)
Soulknife 2/Ranger 2/(level 1 dip that grants an additional attack--Monk?)
Soulknife 2/Ranger 2/XX1/Soulbow 1: no idea for this feat
Soulknife 2/Ranger 2/XX1/Soulbow 2:
Soulknife 2/Ranger 2/XX1/Soulbow 2/Kensai 1:
Soulknife 2/Ranger 2/XX1/Soulbow 2/Kensai 2: Woodland Archer
Soulknife 2/Ranger 2/XX1/Soulbow 2/Kensai 5: no idea for this feat either

As far as stats goes, the DM does it differently each time but I expect to have a total of +8 or +9 in attribute bonuses which is why I dipped ranged to get TWF--not entirely sure if I'll be able to swing a DEX 15.

The basic idea is to have a volley-type ranged combatant with a cool twist. He has infinite ammo, can enhance his mind arrows with both a +1 effect from Soulbow class features (probably Seeking to ignore concealment), as well as a total of +5 from Kensai (+3 for Split Shot and +2 for Force--doubles the number of attacks and ignores DR).

Anything that grants additional attacks is good, as Split Shot doubles them and any missed attack grants a +4 bonus to all other attacks in the round. At CL 15 (if XX1 is assumed to be BAB +0), he will have 3 attacks from BAB (+12), and 2 more from Rapid Shot and TWF for a total of 10 projectiles (each with its own attack roll).

He is SAD, needing only Wisdom to be effective, and requires a mere 13 in INT and DEX for Rapid Shot and Combat Expertise.

I feel like I'm missing something (besides the obvious 2 feats I have omitted and the level 1 dip I have yet to decide on), and any advice on how to grant more attacks/improve the damage on the projectiles would be awesome as his dps seems a little weak.

As far as acceptable sources go, I believe anything WOTC published except Dragon is fine. All the Completes, UA, Forgotten Realms, etc. Oh, and no LA either.

Thanks guys :smallsmile:

Manateee
2012-01-21, 04:59 PM
I'd work in 3-4 levels of Peerless Archer for Ranged Power Attack and 2d6 sneak attack. Toss Craven on top of that and your volleys get really scary really fast.

Tvtyrant
2012-01-21, 05:15 PM
It's too bad that Psionic Shot only works on the first round, otherwise it would be really useful here.

Manateee
2012-01-21, 05:48 PM
I'm digging around trying to find a way to increase the enhancement bonus specifically from soulbow levels for BAB abuse. Not having much luck.

Proski
2012-01-21, 06:26 PM
I had just gotten a hold of the Silver Marches and was looking at the Peerless archer when you posted :)

That sounds like a pretty solid idea to me, especially with the Craven thrown in there. My only concern is that the DM's favorite foes are undead, constructs, and NPC's with Uncanny Dodge >.< Makes my character right now (Rogue/Spellthief/Swashbuckler/Swordsage gishy-tastiness :smallwink:), work very hard to ensure that he can get off those delicious craven-laden sneak attacks consistently.

And yeah, the wording on the mind arrow enhancements adding to Soulknife BAB is weird. No idea what they were going for there. I do appreciate the help you guys :smallsmile: Thank you.