PDA

View Full Version : Wordcasting [PF]

Etrivar
2012-01-22, 12:09 AM
Hullo Playground!

I'm about to play in a Pathfinder campaign, and I wanted to try wordcasting. Spellcasters are my favorite type of characters, and I want to do something new with them. I'm confident that I won't slow down gameplay with it, and my group is curious to see how it works.

Has anyone tried it already? How did it go? Did it bog down the game? Did it actually work, or did it go like... truenaming?

Thank you in advance for all of your help!!!

sreservoir
2012-01-22, 12:10 AM
it works reasonably, is fairly effective, though not quite as horribly broken as normal spells.

Curious
2012-01-22, 12:27 AM
This (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=205030) could prove useful.

Bhaakon
2012-01-22, 12:46 AM
I like it for use with spellslingers, because the flexibility in the system allows for more line, ray, ranged touch, and cone spells (the only types that can be used with the magic gun mechanic) w/o resorting to metamagic feats.

For normal casters, the mechanic is a bit unwieldy and the lack of effect words is a major downfall.

The-Mage-King
2012-01-22, 03:55 AM
Yeah. The amount of effects available is kinda sad.

Honestly, though, I'd suggest spliting the casters into prepared and spontaneous, and giving only spontaneous wordcasting. The feel is better, for that.

And, luckily, it is nothing like truenaming.

Keneth
2012-01-22, 06:52 AM
If you're gonna go full wordcaster, you should choose a class with spontaneous spellcasting and make sure you research the combos you're likely to use in advance. Wordcasting, although a fun idea, drastically reduces your effectiveness however. It might give your character a unique flavor but you'll never be able to do half the things a normal caster can do, so it's best for use in a campaign not focused on character optimization.