PDA

View Full Version : How would you, as Wrong-eye, kill Tsukiko?

pendell
2012-01-22, 09:43 AM
As seen in strip 829, it seems likely that the cat is indeed out of the bag. Presumably Wrong-eye will wait and draw her out a little more to see if she truly is aware of what's going on. There's room for a hilarious misunderstanding here, of course.

But presumably it has already occurred to Wrong-eye that it may be necessary, in the next few strips, to silence Tsukiko NOW. Not later. Now. Immediately.

As a secondary objective, how does he do it in such a way that he can explain to Xykon what's happened?

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Sunken Valley
2012-01-22, 10:03 AM
May I present the "made my saving throw" fight. Many of these spells could mop up Tsukiko with no evidence of her (destruction, disintegrate, plane shift). Besides have you seen Xykon's memory?

SennenScale
2012-01-22, 10:10 AM
I dont know how he'd kill her, but if I were Redcloak I'd plant a fake phylactery on her afterward. Even if Xykon isnt fooled by it, it should get him wondering why she HAS a fake phylactery in her possesion.

Emulgator
2012-01-22, 10:12 AM
Remove the possibility for her to run away. Take control of her wights, then laugh as they level drain her to the death. Tell Xykon that one of the Resistance guys did it, he'd probably find that hilarious. Oh, and dispose of the body with some nice spell.

Sethis
2012-01-22, 10:28 AM
I dont know how he'd kill her, but if I were Redcloak I'd plant a fake phylactery on her afterward. Even if Xykon isnt fooled by it, it should get him wondering why she HAS a fake phylactery in her possesion.

Fake? He's got the real one. As far as Xykon knows, everybody is still searching for it.

All he has to do is tell Xykon that Tsukiko found the rebel base, killed the rebels, and took the phylactery for herself in order to manipulate/control Xykon, and Redcloak stopped her, permanently.

Then just to ensure silence, a quick Trap The Soul on her body followed by tossing the soulgem into the Snarl's portal should fix any chance of anyone being around to contradict him.

luc258
2012-01-22, 10:43 AM
As far as I'm concerned the question is if he can prevent her from escaping, not if he can kill her. What kinds of escapes could she have and does Redcloak have ways to prevent them?

TerrickTerran
2012-01-22, 10:49 AM
Word of Recall is probably her best bet for escaping. Dimensional Anchor might stop it though.

Kish
2012-01-22, 10:50 AM
Word of Recall is a sixth-level cleric spell, more powerful than Tsukiko has ever demonstrated having access to.

TerrickTerran
2012-01-22, 10:57 AM
true, but if Redcloak's gone up, no reason to not expect Tsukiko has as well.

Mutant Sheep
2012-01-22, 10:58 AM
I'd stab her. What? I'd never go spellcaster without a bit of ranger thrown in. :smallbiggrin:

Redcloak should Control the undead, command the undead, and then dance around casting 7th level spells as Tsukiko dies, since even if shes immune to the level draining, she still gets pounced on by a couple hungry wights.

Erts
2012-01-22, 11:06 AM
Would Tsukiko really reveal that she knows that the Snarl is uncontrollable if she didn't think that she could take Redcloak?

The Pilgrim
2012-01-22, 11:07 AM
So many options...

- Flesh to Stone+Shatter
- Harm+Rebuke Undead (and let her wrights finish her off)
- Destruction
- good old Disintegration

Sethis
2012-01-22, 11:07 AM
Word of Recall is a sixth-level cleric spell, more powerful than Tsukiko has ever demonstrated having access to.

There is also a very fun cleric spell called "Forbiddance", which prevents all extraplanar travel within a certain radius of an altar to a God. Summoning, teleportation, everything fails. It's only 4th level.

Redcloak appeared OUTSIDE his study and not INSIDE.

I suspect Tsukiko is going to find it interesting if she tries to Teleport out.

TheBST
2012-01-22, 11:14 AM
Would Tsukiko really reveal that she knows that the Snarl is uncontrollable if she didn't think that she could take Redcloak?

I think she's also deluded herself into believing Xykon would protect her. Fangirls, eh?

As for covering it up, Redcloak could always blame it on the elves. Or wait until Team Evil are near their next gate and push her into a trap.

lord_khaine
2012-01-22, 11:38 AM
There really is no reason to muck around with a complicated plan, when a simple Destruction to the face should be more than enough to solve Redcloak's problems.

Jay R
2012-01-22, 11:46 AM
I'd tell her. "You know, I underwent the rituals to officially join the hobgoblins. [Wa-a-a-ay back in 149 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0149.html)]. If you really loved the undead as much as I love the hobgoblins, you'd join them. What would you like me to raise you as?"

Then I'd nonchalantly wait for her to kill herself.

Eruantion
2012-01-22, 11:51 AM
He could always just implode her, that would be easy enough. It's pretty clear that Redcloak overpowers just about everyone else in the story, probably even Xykon. He could kill Tsukiko anyway he wanted; there's not much the little necromancer can do.

Jubal_Barca
2012-01-22, 12:03 PM
He could always just implode her, that would be easy enough. It's pretty clear that Redcloak overpowers just about everyone else in the story, probably even Xykon. He could kill Tsukiko anyway he wanted; there's not much the little necromancer can do.

Redcloak is waaaaaaaaaaaaaay lower level than Xykon, he's 17th (I think I've read, I don't know the 3.5 D&D rules myself) whereas X is Epic. As can be shown by the fact that it's X who gives the orders. Also presumably than Serini or Girard Draketooth, if they're still alive. And he probably used all his implode spells against the resistance.

Forealms
2012-01-22, 12:58 PM
I have always thought of Redcloak as Lawful Evil (not sure if this has been confirmed), but if so, I would cast Dictum (7th) or Hold Person (2nd), then Harm (6th), followed by Slay Living (5th).

Odds are pretty good Tsukiko would be dead by then. If she's nonlwaful, she gets no save against Dictum, Hold Person has a will save to negate (which she might overcome), Harm has a will save to do half (75 damage might be enough to bring her down to 1, though). Slay Living would finish her off, as even a successful save does 3d6+(caster level) in damage.

If anything is taken out, it would be Dictum/Hold Person. With a possible surprise round, that would be enough to take her down in 1 or 2 rounds.

Anyone see something here that I'm missing? I am aware Tsukiko probably has a good will save, but apart from that?

King of Nowhere
2012-01-22, 01:10 PM
I don't think Xykon would buy Tsukiko's disappearence, so I don't think redcloak will try it. even if redcloak kill tsukiko, xykon would ask that she is resurrected (she is a resource well worth 25k gold in diamonds). redcloak has access to true resurrection now, so "there is no body left" is not going to work.

Anyway, if I were redcloak and had to kill tsukiko, i'd start with a con-based save or die. tsukiko's con sucks, it's likely to work. Maybe i'll used destruction and/or disintegrate. she is low on hp, and so even iof she succeeds the saves (maybe he buffed them) she's going to die for shortage of hp

EDIT: this strategy has a good cchance of ending the enounter immediately, but if tsukiko survives, redcloak is in the middle of the whights, and will get level drained very soon.
the safest chance would be to cast death ward on himself. that would make him imune to the whigths. tsukiko don't have high level slots, so she can't do anything to redcloak that he can't heal. however, this strategy would not prevent tsukiko from escaping.

Cranica
2012-01-22, 01:13 PM

Xykon has at least ten levels on Redcloak, RC would be no match for Xykon in a straight-up fight. He'd be unlikely to even land a spell against Xykon's probably astronomical saves, especially since Xykon could pop a Superb Dispelling -> Maximized Energy Drain and pop eight levels off him right then. Also, unless Redcloak has 28+ Wisdom, he can't Implode again until he rests (he used Implosion and [probably] Summon Monster IX already against the resistance.

I have always thought of Redcloak as Lawful Evil (not sure if this has been confirmed)

It is, since he's clearly Evil and has the Law domain.

AlaskaOOTSFan
2012-01-22, 01:15 PM
I would kill Tsukiko, and then figure out what to tell Mr X later.

It's a gut reaction thing.

Kish
2012-01-22, 01:21 PM
Anyone see something here that I'm missing? I am aware Tsukiko probably has a good will save, but apart from that?
However many wights are in the room wouldn't be affected by anything you've mentioned. They'd presumably attack Redcloak immediately, and negative levels are quite thoroughly inconvenient for Redcloak.

Sethis
2012-01-22, 01:34 PM
Guys, you are reaaaaaaaly overestimating the power of Wights. They're CR 3. They have a +3 attack bonus and one attack per round, and there are what, three of them?

Assuming Redcloak is wearing any armor at all, they will not hit him except on a Natural 20. He's a level 17 Cleric, minimum, Clerics usually wear at least some armor Plus he is straight out of a combat where he likely pre-buffed himself, some of those buffs are likely still active.

Even assuming he has nothing but 8th level slots left, that's better than anything Tsukiko can muster by several times. If this comes to a fight, the only question is whether Tsukiko manages to escape the room or warn someone before dying, not who wins.

Dark Matter
2012-01-22, 02:24 PM
Redcloak used all of his 8th and 9th spells in the fight.

And RC could just gain control of all of T's undead minions. He's a high level cleric, she's a low level one. Mystic T levels don't add to their general Cleric abilities, only their spells.

LudiDrizzt
2012-01-22, 02:26 PM
Redcloak used all of his 8th and 9th spells in the fight.

I only recall seeing one 9th level spell, unless of course we're assuming he used Gate to get the devils.

Anteros
2012-01-22, 03:02 PM
Fake? He's got the real one. As far as Xykon knows, everybody is still searching for it.

All he has to do is tell Xykon that Tsukiko found the rebel base, killed the rebels, and took the phylactery for herself in order to manipulate/control Xykon, and Redcloak stopped her, permanently.

Then just to ensure silence, a quick Trap The Soul on her body followed by tossing the soulgem into the Snarl's portal should fix any chance of anyone being around to contradict him.

If he actually wants Xykon to get the thing back. Which I'm betting he doesn't.

Dark Matter
2012-01-22, 04:11 PM
I only recall seeing one 9th level spell, unless of course we're assuming he used Gate to get the devils.Redcloak is 17th level, ergo he's got 2+1 8th level slots and 1+1 9th.

The spells he used were:

9th: Implosion (domain slot)
8th: Earthquake (domain slot)
8th: Planar Ally, Greater (Horned Devil #1)
8th: Planar Ally, Greater (Horned Devil #2)
8th: Summon Monster 8 (Greater Elemental)

He cast one too many level 8 spells, so presumably the other 9th slot was "Extended Summon Monster 8 (Greater Elemental)".

Edit: This assumes it was a "Greater" Elemental... but it looked too big to be "Huge".

Sethis
2012-01-22, 04:25 PM
Redcloak is 17th level, ergo he's got 2+1 8th level slots and 1+1 9th.

The spells he used were:

9th: Implosion (domain slot)
8th: Earthquake (domain slot)
8th: Planar Ally, Greater (Horned Devil #1)
8th: Planar Ally, Greater (Horned Devil #2)
8th: Summon Monster 8 (Greater Elemental)

He cast one too many level 8 spells, so presumably the other 9th slot was "Extended Summon Monster 8 (Greater Elemental)".

Edit: This assumes it was a "Greater" Elemental... but it looked too big to be "Huge".

You're ignoring bonus spells, and Planar Ally has a duration measured in days. He could have summoned them a while ago.

Ancalagon
2012-01-22, 04:30 PM
Tsukiko only has a d4 for hits. So it probably does not reallly require level 8 or level 9 spells to quickly kill her.

Even if she is level 15ish she only had like ~50 HPs.

Blisstake
2012-01-22, 04:34 PM

And up until recently, Implosion was a ninth level cleric spell that was more powerful than Redcloak had ever demonstrated having access to.

I think there's a good chance she's gotten to sixth level spells by now.

Edit: Never mind, she has had level 6 spells for a while now. See 708 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0708.html). Create Undead is a sixth level cleric spell.

Kish
2012-01-22, 04:41 PM
Edit: Never mind, she has had level 6 spells for a while now. See 708 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0708.html). Create Undead is a sixth level cleric spell.
That wasn't (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=11664910&postcount=11) Create Undead (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/createUndead.htm).

Blisstake
2012-01-22, 04:43 PM
That wasn't (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=11664910&postcount=11) Create Undead (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/createUndead.htm).

She said

"Create Undead!"

I think it was.

And she didn't make a wight. I'm pretty sure that was a ghast.

WhamBamSam
2012-01-22, 04:45 PM
I only recall seeing one 9th level spell, unless of course we're assuming he used Gate to get the devils.It's possible that the thing at the end of 826 was a Pit Fiend he Gated in, and that he used Greater Planar Ally and Summon Monster VIII to get the Horned Devils and the Osmium Elemental, which with the Earthquake and Implosion spells we saw him using would account for his regular 8th and 9th level spell slots and domain slots, but it's very possible that he has enough Wis for a bonus spell of each.

The only thing that might make it tricky is if she has some protection against negative energy, which actually is a somewhat plausible, but he ought to be able to crush her regardless. One thing that he really ought to do is prevent resurrection. The easiest way to do that is to throw her into the rift so that the Snarl will unmake her soul, which either means keeping her alive but incapacitated while he and his minions drag her up to the tower, or using a 9th level spell slot to bind her soul after killing her. The latter is problematic for him unless he gets the opportunity to prepare in advance, but the former is certainly doable, especially if she doesn't have a buff up to protect her from Harm/Quickened Inflict Light Wounds, which would drop her to negatives, but probably not kill her.

Kish
2012-01-22, 04:55 PM
Ah. Well, then, yes. She must be at least level 14.

veti
2012-01-22, 05:17 PM
One spell we've seen (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0513.html) Tsukiko cast is Teleport.

If RC wants to scrag her here and now, his first action has to be to keep her from getting away. If he's had the forethought to cast Forbiddance, then fine, but if not, he's got a problem.

Lord Bingo
2012-01-22, 06:25 PM
I think Redcloak should control Pig-Tails' wights and have them drain her to death, and then he should raise her as some near mindless undead.

All he then has to do is to tell Xykon what he did to her when she broke into his study. Xykon doesn't give a **** about Tsukiko and he will likely find the method with which Redcloak disposed of her hilarious.

End of Story.

End of problem.

Gift Jeraff
2012-01-22, 06:52 PM
I think Redcloak should control Pig-Tails' wights and have them drain her to death, and then he should raise her as some near mindless undead.

All he then has to do is to tell Xykon what he did to her when she broke into his study. Xykon doesn't give a **** about Tsukiko and he will likely find the method with which Redcloak disposed of her hilarious.

End of Story.

End of problem.Did you miss the part where Xykon gave Tsukiko a very important mission about the ritual? Xykon certainly doesn't give a crap about Pigtail Chick on a personal level, but he's definitely going to be curious about what she learned.

Flame of Anor
2012-01-22, 07:03 PM
You're ignoring bonus spells, and Planar Ally has a duration measured in days. He could have summoned them a while ago.

True on the second, but he'd have to have some pretty good magic items to get up to a Wisdom of 26-28.

Lord Bingo
2012-01-22, 07:27 PM
Did you miss the part where Xykon gave Tsukiko a very important mission about the ritual? Xykon certainly doesn't give a crap about Pigtail Chick on a personal level, but he's definitely going to be curious about what she learned.
The way I see it Xykon gave Tsukiko the ritual to learn because she supposedly understands such things and he is too damn lazy. He would probably have given the ritual to any reasonably experienced arcane caster as long as it means he does not have to bother with it himself.

McDouggal
2012-01-22, 07:43 PM
I would kill Tsukiko, and then figure out what to tell Mr X later.

It's a gut reaction thing.

:redcloak: is a planner. I have no doubt that he has a full-on plan for killing dealing with anyone who breaks into his room, INCLUDING Xykon.

skaddix
2012-01-22, 07:46 PM
:redcloak: is a planner. I have no doubt that he has a full-on plan for killing dealing with anyone who breaks into his room, INCLUDING Xykon.

Please RC is not that good. He cannot do anything to Xykon especially with most if not all of his 8 and 9th level spells gone.

Flame of Anor
2012-01-22, 08:56 PM
Please RC is not that good. He cannot do anything to Xykon especially with most if not all of his 8 and 9th level spells gone.

Yeah, this. Xykon is going to pretty much lay the smackdown on any mortal in the universe he meets in single combat. The only ones that even had a chance so far are Ghostly Soon Kim and Darth Vaarsuvius. Of course, Roy did throw him into the Gate back in the early days, but that was really more luck than anything else.

skaddix
2012-01-22, 09:02 PM
Yeah, this. Xykon is going to pretty much lay the smackdown on any mortal in the universe he meets in single combat. The only ones that even had a chance so far are Ghostly Soon Kim and Darth Vaarsuvius. Of course, Roy did throw him into the Gate back in the early days, but that was really more luck than anything else.

Well yes basically have to be Epic to Stop Xykon in single combat. Soon was an Epic Ghost Paladin and V was the most powerful mortal spellcaster of all time with 3 Epics boosting her power.

McDouggal
2012-01-22, 09:13 PM

I never said he'd kill him. I also didn't leave out a few escape options.

skaddix
2012-01-22, 09:22 PM
I never said he'd kill him. I also didn't leave out a few escape options.

What does he have besides Word of Recall?

jaybird
2012-01-22, 09:41 PM
True on the second, but he'd have to have some pretty good magic items to get up to a Wisdom of 26-28.

18 starting Wis + 4 from levels 4, 8, 12, and 16 + 6 from item = 28 Wis. Not too hard to optimize a high level caster to have a casting stat into the 30s. If he was a Human, for example, that would be Wis 30.

Kish
2012-01-22, 09:42 PM
18 starting Wis + 4 from levels 4, 8, 12, and 16 + 6 from item = 28 Wis. Not too hard to optimize a high level caster to have a casting stat into the 30s. If he was a Human, for example, that would be Wis 30.
Huh? Humans don't have any form of bonus Wisdom. Nor do goblins have a Wisdom penalty (edited to add when one possible explanation for what you're thinking of occurred to me: The goblin in the Monster Manual has a listed Wisdom of 8 because of the assumption that a generic goblin warrior or rogue with the Elite Array will use Wisdom as a dump stat, not because of a racial penalty; the Wisdom score would be exactly the same for a generic human rogue with the Elite Array).

McDouggal
2012-01-22, 10:04 PM
What does he have besides Word of Recall?

3.5 noob reveal: doesn't he have access to teleport at whatever level he's at?

Gift Jeraff
2012-01-22, 10:09 PM
3.5 noob reveal: doesn't he have access to teleport at whatever level he's at?Clerics don't get Teleport without the Travel domain, which Redcloak doesn't have.

Doomboy911
2012-01-22, 10:16 PM
See now if I were to wipe out tsukiko I'd gaslight her. I don't mean poison I mean drive her insane by making her doubt reality. She walks into a room with three ghouls, turns around and now there are two. She's a tad confused but continues on. In a matter of moments she turns back and has six ghouls. I'd do things like this for weeks upon weeks on end. Eventually she'd destroy herself.

If mine games are out of the question than hold person than earthquake. Blame it on Tsukiko.

skaddix
2012-01-22, 10:19 PM
Clerics don't get Teleport without the Travel domain, which Redcloak doesn't have.

Thank You. Someone got served.

McDouggal
2012-01-22, 10:45 PM
Noobishness revealed and served. Does he have other transport options?

jaybird
2012-01-22, 10:51 PM
Huh? Humans don't have any form of bonus Wisdom. Nor do goblins have a Wisdom penalty (edited to add when one possible explanation for what you're thinking of occurred to me: The goblin in the Monster Manual has a listed Wisdom of 8 because of the assumption that a generic goblin warrior or rogue with the Elite Array will use Wisdom as a dump stat, not because of a racial penalty; the Wisdom score would be exactly the same for a generic human rogue with the Elite Array).

What are you talking about? It's almost certain Redcloak is statted out as a PC, being a major antagonist with 9th level spells and all. 18 is generally the best you can get in the major stat generation methods (3d6, 4d6b3, point buy).

And yes, humans do have bonus Wis. +2 to any stat?

urbanwolf
2012-01-22, 11:07 PM
3.5 Dose not have a +2 to any stat for humans that is pathfinder or 4th

another place Redcloak could be getting a bonus to wis is age
a Goblin hits middle age at 30 do we know how old RC is?

Flame of Anor
2012-01-22, 11:35 PM
Well yes basically have to be Epic to Stop Xykon in single combat. Soon was an Epic Ghost Paladin and V was the most powerful mortal spellcaster of all time with 3 Epics boosting her power.

Not sure if this was what you meant, but V was only (and then only by some measurements) the most powerful mortal spellcaster of all time with the soul splices.

See now if I were to wipe out tsukiko I'd gaslight her. I don't mean poison I mean drive her insane by making her doubt reality. She walks into a room with three ghouls, turns around and now there are two. She's a tad confused but continues on. In a matter of moments she turns back and has six ghouls. I'd do things like this for weeks upon weeks on end. Eventually she'd destroy herself.

Nah...she's probably too flaky for that to have an effect.

The Last Baron
2012-01-23, 12:30 AM
She's Probably not warded for the fight, considering she broke in while he was away, and apparently expected it to remain thus until she left. Redcloak (Probably) has several 7th, 6th and 5th level spells left, if not 8th or 9th (The later being less likely).

His best bet for the first round is Either a dictum (Assuming he's sure she isn't lawful), or a Rebuke against the wights, to keep them from draining him (Unlikely, but possible). After his surprise round, either a harm, a destruction or a disintegrate would be his best bet. Follow up with a free action or order the wights to attack. After that, just keep throwing harms, destructions and disintegrates until she's dust- She's not going to be able to stand up to his DCs, whilst 456 makes me think he at least has decent saves- Certainly enough to not get instagibbed by Tsukiko. Heck, he might even try his destruction domain power.

skaddix
2012-01-23, 01:14 AM
She's Probably not warded for the fight, considering she broke in while he was away, and apparently expected it to remain thus until she left. Redcloak (Probably) has several 7th, 6th and 5th level spells left, if not 8th or 9th (The later being less likely).

His best bet for the first round is Either a dictum (Assuming he's sure she isn't lawful), or a Rebuke against the wights, to keep them from draining him (Unlikely, but possible). After his surprise round, either a harm, a destruction or a disintegrate would be his best bet. Follow up with a free action or order the wights to attack. After that, just keep throwing harms, destructions and disintegrates until she's dust- She's not going to be able to stand up to his DCs, whilst 456 makes me think he at least has decent saves- Certainly enough to not get instagibbed by Tsukiko. Heck, he might even try his destruction domain power.

I think u have to stop her from teleporting early.

weeping eagle
2012-01-23, 02:55 AM
How about just beating her to death with a four iron?

Hopeless
2012-01-23, 03:39 AM
How about he challenges her instead?

A mutual race to be the first to recover Xykon's phylactery which if she finds it first he'll tell her any of the details she wants but if he wins she has to perform a favour for him at some point but just to make it fair he'll allow her to select a small group of hobgoblins to act as his investigators so to give her a fair chance of winning.

The fact he already has it is beside the point but at some point he has to give Xykon something before he goes homicidal, right?

This way he gets her off his back and he gets time to turn Xykon's favour against her, perhaps blame her for the leak to the resistance that she was supposed to be thwarting?

Kish
2012-01-23, 06:56 AM
What are you talking about?

As I stated, I was taking a guess at why you were under the impression humans have more Wisdom than goblins.

A kinder, I thought, if apparently less correct, guess than "you're thinking of 4ed."

deworde
2012-01-23, 07:00 AM
Well, that's this thread done with... (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0830.html)

Felt sure he'd try and control her somehow...

Schadrach
2012-01-23, 07:02 AM
This could turn out interesting. It really depends on whether or not Tsukiko prepared for the possibility of discovery -- Redcloak certainly didn't prepare for "optimally killing Tsukiko" and he's down several spells, while Tsukiko should have all her spells and be prepared as optimally as she can think of, but has less starting power to work from. I think it's a closer match than it looks at first glance.

veti
2012-01-23, 07:44 AM
another place Redcloak could be getting a bonus to wis is age
a Goblin hits middle age at 30 do we know how old RC is?

I don't remember where this information comes from, but I believe he's been calculated to be well into the 'Venerable' category. So that's +3 to his WIS, assuming the Crimson Mantle allows him to age mentally but not physically.

jaybird
2012-01-23, 07:44 AM
As I stated, I was taking a guess at why you were under the impression humans have more Wisdom than goblins.

A kinder, I thought, if apparently less correct, guess than "you're thinking of 4ed."

...I play Pathfinder. Humans have a +2 to any one stat upon character creation. If we're treating RC as a PC, it means he could theoretically have had 18 Wis at level 1. A human Cleric could have had 20 Wis at level 1. I don't get the issue.

Kish
2012-01-23, 08:03 AM
The issue is that OotS is not a Pathfinder comic either. In D&D 3.5 edition, humans don't have any pluses to any stats. A human cleric with the same dice rolls as a goblin cleric will have exactly the same Wisdom, and neither can have 20 Wisdom at level 1.

Heksefatter
2012-01-23, 08:42 AM
Remove the possibility for her to run away. Take control of her wights, then laugh as they level drain her to the death. Tell Xykon that one of the Resistance guys did it, he'd probably find that hilarious. Oh, and dispose of the body with some nice spell.

And we have a winner at post #4 already. :redcloak:

pendell
2012-01-23, 09:49 AM

And we have a winner at post #4 already. :redcloak:

So we do. Nicely guessed, Emulgator.

Still .. has Wrong-eye's actions successfully protected him against discovery?

No corpse, so no resurrection. Xykon also can't animate or create undead from a non-existent body. No speak with dead because no corpse. Is that it? Is there any way for Xykon to contact Tsukiko's spirit and learn the truth? Or has Redcloak successfully silenced Tsukiko completely?

Respectfully,

Brian P.

RMS Oceanic
2012-01-23, 10:10 AM
Xykon has two options remaining to contact Tsukiko:

1. Planar Shift to wherever her soul has ended up and speak to her.
2. Get somebody to cast True Resurrection.

I won't comment on how likely he is to do either of these things until we see Redcloak talk to him.

ratfox
2012-01-23, 10:27 AM
Congrats Emulgator. Though he disposed of the body in a more appropriate way. ...and her last words were quite something :smalleek:

The comic has a thing for dramatic last words, at least for females who turned bad.

Psyren
2012-01-23, 10:34 AM
The comic has a thing for dramatic last words, at least for females who turned bad.

I think she was always bad.

Anyway, I'm very interested in her ring. If it protects against all level drain, Xykon's number one strategy is now useless against Redcloak.

Heksefatter
2012-01-23, 10:36 AM
So we do. Nicely guessed, Emulgator.

Still .. has Wrong-eye's actions successfully protected him against discovery?

No corpse, so no resurrection. Xykon also can't animate or create undead from a non-existent body. No speak with dead because no corpse. Is that it? Is there any way for Xykon to contact Tsukiko's spirit and learn the truth? Or has Redcloak successfully silenced Tsukiko completely?

Respectfully,

Brian P.

There are loads of places where things can go wrong for poor ol' Wrong-Eye.

For starters, Xykon may start to wonder where Tsukiko is, especially as he already suspects Redcloak. Since he also knows about the phylactery, he may also be sufficiently angry at Redcloak for trying to hide it (assuming that he realizes it) that he may take things to the next level. Which could happen in many ways.

To sum it up: I have no idea what'll happen even in the near future. Though I believe that I will be dramatic.

Kish
2012-01-23, 10:45 AM

Anyway, I'm very interested in her ring. If it protects against all level drain, Xykon's number one strategy is now useless against Redcloak.
Redcloak could, and would, certainly have made such a ring for himself before taking on Xykon.

Although explicitly showing that he has one from now on is likely quite intentional.

Psyren
2012-01-23, 10:56 AM
Redcloak could, and would, certainly have made such a ring for himself before taking on Xykon.

Although explicitly showing that he has one from now on is likely quite intentional.

Well, it wouldn't be the first time a goblin tried to rely on a ring as a trump card against Xykon. :smallamused:

I'm willing to bet it'll go as well for Wrong-Eye, too. He's still underestimating Xykon, even after all this time.

Palthera
2012-01-23, 11:01 AM
Well, it wouldn't be the first time a goblin tried to rely on a ring as a trump card against Xykon. :smallamused:

I'm willing to bet it'll go as well for Wrong-Eye, too. He's still underestimating Xykon, even after all this time.

Not sure what goblin you mean, since the last goblin who tried to do something against Xykon used a magic dagger and Xykon was the one protected by a ring...

Psyren
2012-01-23, 11:11 AM
Ah, misremembered :smallredface:

Yeah I thought RE had a ring that made his dagger special. Been awhile since I read it.

But, my point about Redcloak underestimating Xykon stands.

pendejochy
2012-01-23, 11:46 AM
There are loads of places where things can go wrong for poor ol' Wrong-Eye.

For starters, Xykon may start to wonder where Tsukiko is, especially as he already suspects Redcloak. Since he also knows about the phylactery, he may also be sufficiently angry at Redcloak for trying to hide it (assuming that he realizes it) that he may take things to the next level. Which could happen in many ways.

To sum it up: I have no idea what'll happen even in the near future. Though I believe that I will be dramatic.

I think Redclock might try to convince him the resistance still has it, and teleported it to Elven lands. This would make Xycon mad and (hopefully) make him rampage over Elven lands. This would destabilize the Elven nation(s) and make the human kingdoms in the southern land try to invade the much more fertile territories. That way, they don't try to interfer with Redcloak while he does his gate stuff.

Of course, Xykon might rampage over Gobbotopia instead just to let off some steam, so maybe Reddy has something else planned.

Math_Mage
2012-01-23, 12:06 PM

Superb dispelling.

Flame of Anor
2012-01-23, 12:11 PM
Superb dispelling.

Can't dispel a ring.

Math_Mage
2012-01-23, 12:14 PM
Can't dispel a ring.

Sure I can. In fact, Superb Dispelling is totally overkill for that sort of thing.

You can use dispel magic to end ongoing spells that have been cast on a creature or object, to temporarily suppress the magical abilities of a magic item, to end ongoing spells (or at least their effects) within an area, or to counter another spellcaster’s spell.

luc258
2012-01-23, 12:15 PM
Can't dispel a ring.

I maybe wrong, but i think dispel magic can temporarily disable magic items.
edit: too slow.

Flame of Anor
2012-01-23, 12:16 PM
Sure I can. In fact, Superb Dispelling is totally overkill for that sort of thing.

Oh whoops.

Psyren
2012-01-23, 12:17 PM
Superb dispelling.

...is one less action to start the fight off with. Two if he tries to ED first (like he did vs. V) before realizing it doesn't work.

When you're fighting an epic lich sorcerer, every action counts.

Hell, judging by his fight with V, he doesn't even like dispelling.

Chronos
2012-01-23, 01:21 PM
It's pretty clear that Redcloak's next move has to be to blame the phylactery on Tsukiko somehow. Say that he caught her trying to steal it, and so he killed her? But then he has to come up with a story for what became of the phylactery, or give it back (which I'm sure he doesn't want to do). Maybe claim that he saw her teleporting away with it? Xykon doesn't need to know she's dead, after all. He'd obviously want to scry her to confirm, of course, but he can't, at least not for several months: His only scrying capability is via the crystal ball, which is non-epic, and therefore can't penetrate the Cloister.

Rion
2012-01-23, 03:07 PM
What if he tells Xykon that the goblins found the phylactery, but that the resistance killed them and stole it. The last time he saw Tsukiko, she was going to teleport to the place with her wights in order to recover it.

It would explain why Jirix received a message that the phylactery had been discovered, but Xykon hasn't received it yet. It would also explain Tsukiko's absence.
With no remaining traces of Tsukiko and the Resistance, Xykon has no reasons to disbelieve the story, but will extrapolate as time passes and no traces of either Tsukiko or the Resistance turns up.

Emulgator
2012-01-23, 03:46 PM
Just stopping by, to say "thank you internet strangers, for cheering me up with "you win the thread" responses". Also I am shocked that I managed to think like Giant did. Maybe there's a hope to my writing after all :) [Or maybe we both like irony]
Cheers.

veti
2012-01-23, 04:28 PM
Xykon has two options remaining to contact Tsukiko:

1. Planar Shift to wherever her soul has ended up and speak to her.
2. Get somebody to cast True Resurrection.

I won't comment on how likely he is to do either of these things until we see Redcloak talk to him.

I will:

1.: Would require him to know, not only which plane Tsukiko had gone to, but where specifically on that plane to look for a new arrival from her particular religion. I would estimate the probability of Xykon having that many ranks in Knowledge: Religion or Cosmology at approximately squat. Of course he could try asking Redcloak...

2.: Would require him to know someone who can cast True Resurrection. If he doesn't know that Redcloak has levelled, then as far as he knows that spell is out of his reach. (There's also the small matter of 25,000GP in diamonds, which, if I were Redcloak, I would have hidden long ago.)

Math_Mage
2012-01-23, 04:40 PM
What if he tells Xykon that the goblins found the phylactery, but that the resistance killed them and stole it. The last time he saw Tsukiko, she was going to teleport to the place with her wights in order to recover it.

It would explain why Jirix received a message that the phylactery had been discovered, but Xykon hasn't received it yet. It would also explain Tsukiko's absence.
With no remaining traces of Tsukiko and the Resistance, Xykon has no reasons to disbelieve the story, but will extrapolate as time passes and no traces of either Tsukiko or the Resistance turns up.

Holes aplenty. How did Tsukiko know where to go with her ghouls? Why can't/wouldn't Xykon follow up on it personally and immediately? What happens when the Cloister expires and Xykon finds no trace of either the Resistance or Tsukiko?

No, Redcloak has to explain this in a way that won't invite Xykon to check up on it later. Consider that Xykon isn't going anywhere until he finds his phylactery. Redcloak wants Xykon out of Gobbotopia before any more of these nasty surprises show up. My guess is that Redcloak will tell 90% of the truth, pretending Tsukiko was after the phylactery and telling the rest straight.

Before that happens, though, he's going to make with the phylactery fakery or whatever he was ORIGINALLY plotting before Tsukiko got involved. This might involve a Raise Dead on the old goblin outside his study, depending on if Tsukiko killed him with a death effect.

Moonwolf727
2012-09-26, 07:40 AM
I know she's dead now but I would use Flesh to stone and then Mud to rock after that I would plant a tree in her. :smallbiggrin:

kpenguin
2012-09-26, 11:25 PM
The Modguin: Necromancy ahoy! Thread locked.