PDA

View Full Version : The OOTS Reprint Drive at Kickstarter: Pledge now to get exclusive rewards!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

Gullintanni
2012-01-31, 02:09 PM
But Kobold-Bard a credit card is not so big in my country, too much of a hassle apparantly we prefer less borrowing and more direct payment.

I'd drink to that. Cheers!

Kobold-Bard
2012-01-31, 02:10 PM
But Kobold-Bard a credit card is not so big in my country, too much of a hassle apparantly we prefer less borrowing and more direct payment.

Well I can't speak for the rest of my country (mostly because the state of most of the people in it's finances suggests they do in fact love borrowing other people's money & then not giving it back) but I personally agree with you.

DougTheHead
2012-01-31, 02:10 PM
Holy crap... just when it looked to be slowing down and settling around a Don't Split the Party full reprint we break through the 300k barrier like it's nothing- and I haven't even raised my pledge to "The Whole Story" yet!

honigmuffin
2012-01-31, 02:12 PM
Oooh, important question: does the Amazon account have to be a .com account or will a .de account suffice? (If I were to just order something on Amazon to Austria, I'd do it via the German Amazon site as there's no separate Austrian site.)
(Sub-question: Does Amazon.com recognise an Amazon.de account or would I have to create an extra account? I have no Amazon account yet to try it with. As you might have guessed, I'm bit confused :smallconfused:)

Bouregard
2012-01-31, 02:16 PM
Oooh, important question: does the Amazon account have to be a .com account or will a .de account suffice? (If I were to just order something on Amazon to Austria, I'd do it via the German Amazon site as there's no separate Austrian site.)
(Sub-question: Does Amazon.com recognise an Amazon.de account or would I have to create an extra account? I have no Amazon account yet to try it with. As you might have guessed, I'm bit confused :smallconfused:)

My first post about not being able to use my .de account seems to be an error on my part (I curse you caps lock!) it works fine now. However you will only be able to use a credit card as a payment option.

Blisstake
2012-01-31, 02:17 PM
Just when I thought the momentum was slowing down...

MaximKat
2012-01-31, 02:18 PM
Okay, seriously people. Maybe pause for a moment and wait for the next goal to be announced, eh?

Duskranger
2012-01-31, 02:21 PM
Hm, in Sweden we also use debit cards, it just says visa (or somesuch) on them. Sure the credit cards looks all the same and the only real difference is what you've decided with your bank about credit (0 is an option).
I'm relieved to live here when I see how it is so close to home. :smallsmile:

We can do the same, but you need to pay for the pleasure of using that option (mastercard in my case). Since I mostly never use it (even though I needed it now) I do not order it.

Gullintanni
2012-01-31, 02:22 PM
Okay, seriously people. Maybe pause for a moment and wait for the next goal to be announced, eh?

They tried that once, and the corresponding graph came out looking pretty ugly. 45 degrees just doesn't make for an attractive line and it was getting pretty close :smalltongue:

SaintRidley
2012-01-31, 02:22 PM

Where's the fun in that when we can surprise the Giant with Start of Darkness getting a reprint?

Kobold-Bard
2012-01-31, 02:25 PM
Where's the fun in that when we can surprise the Giant with Start of Darkness getting a reprint?

Oh he already knows. He's sat at his computer trying to summon the courage to make a new update, begging whatever deity he believes in that the madness will stop because he's run out of graph jokes.

Andious
2012-01-31, 02:25 PM
I say we try and pass the 4th mystery prize line before Mr. Burlew can even add it.

Elder Tsofu
2012-01-31, 02:27 PM
We can do the same, but you need to pay for the pleasure of using that option (mastercard in my case). Since I mostly never use it (even though I needed it now) I do not order it.

Ah ok, well the banks around here seem to more or less abolished the other cards a few years back (my mother held hers for 5 years until she wanted to pay over the net and was forced to change). Like cheques, almost alien technology today. (you're going to pay me with that? *snigger*)

ella ventic
2012-01-31, 02:32 PM
Yeah, so we're very nearly $30,000 over the last book-related goal. Any speculation on how much reprinting SoD would cost? We've got to be close, right?

Absol197
2012-01-31, 02:33 PM
I say we try and pass the 4th mystery prize line before Mr. Burlew can even add it.

I agree with this! I've already upped my pledge to help with this goal (while I've already got it, Snip, Snails, and Dragon Tales would make a great gift for my friend).

I really wish I could ask the Giant, "So, if some kind of Future Psychic had told you when you started this thing that you'd have close to $325,000 before February even starts, what would you have said?"

What monster hath the Giant unleashed?

EDIT: Oh, and today is already the highest-earning day in the drive so far: days 1 and 2 were both a little under $50,000. We're already over that, and still climbing!

Blisstake
2012-01-31, 02:36 PM

Not likely, since he'll probably add it to a point higher than the current amount raised when he does the update.

el-pietro
2012-01-31, 02:48 PM
In an effort to save on international shipping a friend and I were considering getting a total of 10 books

1* OTOPCs 1* SOD 1* DCF 1* NCFTPB 2*WAXPs 2* DPTP 2*SSADTS plus 2 magnets - can anyone see a way this is possible with just one package?

Or should we wait and see if an option to select as many books as you want is added? Or mail Rich? I'm loath to contact him directly as his mailbox must be overflowing and I'd like to give him as little work as possible

Gwynfrid
2012-01-31, 02:56 PM

Yes !

What's truly impressive now is the continuing progress of the pledge total and the number of backers, not only in spite of the fact we are well over the highest goal, but also in spite everyone knowing that mystery prize #3 and new rewards are going to be announced. Folks aren't even waiting for those news before pledging !

Exediron
2012-01-31, 02:58 PM
Gah, I was only gone for a day and it already looks like we'll reach the next 500 backer increase before tonight! I expected it to be over 280,000 when I checked, but I wasn't expecting over 310,000.

I suppose we should avoid speculating too much on Mystery Prize #3 just in case one of us gets it right.

EDIT: As expected, pretty much everyone in the $192 category has now defected to the $222. Although clearly there have also been a fair number of new backers at the full run level.

SaintRidley
2012-01-31, 03:00 PM
In an effort to save on international shipping a friend and I were considering getting a total of 10 books

1* OTOPCs 1* SOD 1* DCF 1* NCFTPB 2*WAXPs 2* DPTP 2*SSADTS plus 2 magnets - can anyone see a way this is possible with just one package?

Or should we wait and see if an option to select as many books as you want is added? Or mail Rich? I'm loath to contact him directly as his mailbox must be overflowing and I'd like to give him as little work as possible

PICK THREE (OR MORE) BOX: Pick any two color compilation books (Dungeon Crawlin' Fools, No Cure for the Paladin Blues, War and XPs) and any one prequel book (On the Origin of PCs or Start of Darkness). Then add $30 for every extra compilation you want to add and $16 for every extra prequel, up to a total of 6 books. Plus a Roy Greenhilt magnet. Don't pick now; we'll ask you which ones you want when we collect your shipping address. (NOTE: If Don't Split the Party is being reprinted by the time the drive ends, you can pick that for your compilation, too.) Shipped anywhere in the United States (Canada/Mexico orders, please add $22 extra to your pledge to cover shipping; international orders, add $37.) [New reward! Added 1/26/2012.]

That's the closest I've found. Doesn't cover SSaDT or the second magnet, though. Should be doable to message him on Kickstarter and ask how much to increase and add two copies of SSaDT and an extra magnet for it.

VinRaven
2012-01-31, 03:00 PM

At one point banks in the States also charged for Visa/MasterCard stamped Debit Cards, but as banks competed for customers, and cashed in on transaction fees, they did away with all those fees.

In fact, these days most of us get "Rewards" as cash back from using our credit cards, with a % based on the branding, so someone who for example has an Amazon branded credit card gets 3% back of all money spent on Amazon.

Not coincidentally, that 3-5% is the additional premium which Amazon, or any credit card company, charges merchants.

So for this drive, for say a $100 pledge, Kickstarter takes $5, Amazon takes $3.20 and gives their Amazon branded customers a $3 credit.

Hopefully for The Giant's sake, Amazon will treat the drive as a single merchant volume transaction, which would mean they'd give him a 1% discount, which on say $500k will net an extra $5k, though that may be a wash with international credit cards costing an extra 1% on top of those numbers:

https://payments.amazon.com/sdui/sdui/about?nodeId=6022

Porthos
2012-01-31, 03:06 PM

My purely eyeball guess for a SoD reprint is ≈ 30.5K (1.5 * Origins). So ≈ 313.6K or there abouts.

*pause*

We passed that a few minutes ago. :smalleek:

Even if it is 5K more (some color pages, page count, increased number of copies, et etc), the drive should pass that within the next two hours at the current clip.

el-pietro
2012-01-31, 03:07 PM
That's the closest I've found. Doesn't cover SSaDT or the second magnet, though. Should be doable to message him on Kickstarter and ask how much to increase and add two copies of SSaDT and an extra magnet for it.

very much appreciated - worst case scenario we could add a seperate magnet on its own - 10 dollars and would ensure we both had our own set of the pdfs and werent just sharing them

Xapi
2012-01-31, 03:10 PM
I think it's very likely that the next update is about the creator breakdown suffered from being unable to keep up with rewards, mistery prizes and print objectives.

It would probably feature the phrase "You people are f*ing crazy".

Mary
2012-01-31, 03:12 PM
I prefer enthusiastic... :smallsmile:

WampaX
2012-01-31, 03:12 PM
My purely eyeball guess for a SoD reprint is ≈ 30.5K (1.5 * Origins). So ≈ 313.6K or there abouts.

*pause*

We passed that a few minutes ago. :smalleek:

Even if it is 5K more (some color pages, page count, increased number of copies, et etc), the drive should pass that within the next two hours at the current clip.

Yeah . . . I think we have reached the "Here there be dragons" part of the chart.

As in, this level was inconceivable.
Pretty soon we'll bust through the goal for reprinting Dungeon Crawling Fools, the only book not on the chart (after Start of Darkness) and up for reprinting (Snips isn't . . . at this time).

Porthos
2012-01-31, 03:17 PM
Yeah . . . I think we have reached the "Here there be dragons" part of the chart.

As in, this level was inconceivable.
Pretty soon we'll bust through the goal for reprinting Dungeon Crawling Fools, the only book not on the chart (after Start of Darkness).

What I want to know is if we'll bust through the chart so much that we have to come back through the bottom again.

In other words, it might be funny if enough people pledge to cause a second round of reprints for W&XP, NCftPB, et etc.

(OK, sure, if Rich needs to, I'm sure he'll just up the print count of the books in question. But it'd still be funny if he had to do a another print run in the middle of this drive to still have enough to send out to retailers. :smalltongue:)

====

As to not Double Post:

ETA:

Well, this might help get the word out:

'Order of the Stick' Webcomic Raises Over $250,000 in 8 Days For Reprints (http://www.comicsalliance.com/2012/01/31/order-of-the-stick-kickstarter/)

Anyone know just how High Profile Comic Alliance is?

turkishproverb
2012-01-31, 03:29 PM
Fairly high. It's not one of the biggest news sites for comics, but it's fairly well known.

Absol197
2012-01-31, 03:29 PM
What I want to know is if we'll bust through the chart so much that we have to come back through the bottom again.

In other words, it might be funny if enough people pledge to cause a second round of reprints for W&XP, NCftPB, et etc.

(OK, sure, if Rich needs to, I'm sure he'll just up the print count of the books in question. But it'd still be funny if he had to do a another print run in the middle of this drive to still have enough to send out to retailers. :smalltongue:)

As funny as that might be, I doubt it: a full print run probably involves printing a couple hundred thousand copies. Our meager four-thousand copies won't really scratch that, even if everyone was getting a book (which about a quarter aren't).

jmucchiello
2012-01-31, 03:30 PM
Anyone know just how High Profile Comic Alliance is?
I've been linked to stories there before from comicbookresources.com. It isn't low profile but it isn't D&D oriented at all.

I guess the next cool milestone is 5,000 backers: at the moment there are 4,658 Backers

honigmuffin
2012-01-31, 03:30 PM
My first post about not being able to use my .de account seems to be an error on my part (I curse you caps lock!) it works fine now. However you will only be able to use a credit card as a payment option.

Good to know, thanks for the answer :smallsmile: I already knew that a credit card is the only payment option, but I wasn't at all sure how Amazon (and therefore Kickstarter) handles its accounts.

I'd love to know what Haley could afford by now. There should at least be Gloves of Dexterity +6 and +8 bracers for the whole party in it by now, I think… :smallwink:

Porthos
2012-01-31, 03:39 PM
Fairly high. It's not one of the biggest news sites for comics, but it's fairly well known.

I've been linked to stories there before from comicbookresources.com. It isn't low profile but it isn't D&D oriented at all.

I guess the next cool milestone is 5,000 backers: at the moment there are 4,658 Backers

Well if it's a D&D audience we're talking about, who wants to be the first person to risk Slashdotting this drive by drawing their attention to all of this? :smalleek::smalltongue::smalleek:

YohanLeafheart
2012-01-31, 03:47 PM
And we are top 10, and hello mystery prize #3 :D It would be so cool if we could hit a half million.

Autopsibiofeeder
2012-01-31, 03:51 PM
Heh, I pledged 77 Dollar a while ago for the print only package and promised myself that if it would ever get to the "What the hell: buy 'em all"-phase, that I would actually do it. Just because I am sincerely excited about this thing. Rich has given so much, and I haven't actually reciprocated, so this seems like a good moment to do so. The vibe is there, and I actually feel it: I never ordered a book because I've been a student for almost a decade and shipping one to Europe is about as expensive as the book itself. Now, I have a job, so what the hell, hm?

Now it seems we might actually reach that phase at some point, and I am happy about that. However, I haven't told my fiancee about it. Yet...:xykon:

Let's keep this up, and I am bound to up the pledge by ~200 dollars! :smallwink:.

:smallbiggrin: It is done. And she was okay with it. Yay me. :smallsmile:

Elder Tsofu
2012-01-31, 03:57 PM
Congratulations! :smallbiggrin:

Absol197
2012-01-31, 03:59 PM
Since we've probably already funded a Start of Darkness reprint, our next goal should be a third of a million before the next update. Maybe if this gets big enough, it won't just be comics websites that pick up on this, but the big news-outlets. Wouldn't that be cool to see a story about OotS (even if it's only a brief mention) on something like CNN or Fox?

Weimann
2012-01-31, 04:06 PM
Well if it's a D&D audience we're talking about, who wants to be the first person to risk Slashdotting this drive by drawing their attention to all of this? :smalleek::smalltongue::smalleek:Get it on Reddit, too. I hear they kind of like RPGs there.

yukina
2012-01-31, 04:14 PM
I'm amazed at how much money we have raised in such a short time, with this pledge drive I'll be able to complete my OOTS collection, the only two books I was missing was Wars and XP's and Don't Split the Party, I have all of the others. This will be a late birthday gift to me. Thanks Rich and all of the people who pledged what they could you guys are great!

Flame of Anor
2012-01-31, 04:30 PM
Get it on Reddit, too. I hear they kind of like RPGs there.

I was looking, but I didn't find a D&D subreddit. Will look for something related...

MaximKat
2012-01-31, 04:33 PM
I was looking, but I didn't find a D&D subreddit. Will look for something related...

http://www.reddit.com/r/rpg

aapje
2012-01-31, 04:34 PM
http://www.reddit.com/r/rpg/comments/orzad/order_of_the_stick_is_doing_a_kickstarter_project/

CoffeeIncluded
2012-01-31, 04:35 PM
Since we've probably already funded a Start of Darkness reprint, our next goal should be a third of a million before the next update. Maybe if this gets big enough, it won't just be comics websites that pick up on this, but the big news-outlets. Wouldn't that be cool to see a story about OotS (even if it's only a brief mention) on something like CNN or Fox?

A few days ago (Thursday or Friday) I read an article about Kickstarter in the New York Times. Unfortunately there was no mention of this particular fundraiser, as the article was printed before the funds raised reached obscene leevls.

MaximKat
2012-01-31, 04:44 PM
Attracting reddit attention, attempt 2 (http://www.reddit.com/r/rpg/comments/p540l/order_of_the_stick_dd_webcomic_collects_300000_in/)

Flame of Anor
2012-01-31, 04:49 PM
Attracting reddit attention, attempt 2 (http://www.reddit.com/r/rpg/comments/p540l/order_of_the_stick_dd_webcomic_collects_300000_in/)

This is important! Everyone go and upvote this! Sign up for an account if you have to. It's the only way enough people will see it to make a difference.

bjornthedwarf
2012-01-31, 04:49 PM
http://www.reddit.com/r/rpg/comments/orzad/order_of_the_stick_is_doing_a_kickstarter_project/

Worth clicking through that to see the Giant's reply on why he doesn't sell PDFs/digital versions. Might be common knowledge to some forum goers, but I'm new to actually being on the forums.

P.S. - I just created a reddit account, something I actively sworn I would not do, but am willing to temporarily lift that ban to try and gain further support for this.

k_bukie
2012-01-31, 04:50 PM
At this point, I wonder if the Giant is tapped out on limited rewards, seeing as he's already signing near 1000 limited copies, and every book has been on the table for a limited signed copy. One would have to figure that this would be the point where the drive reaches saturation.

Dein
2012-01-31, 04:53 PM

The rpg subreddit, of course! /facepalm.

I tried posting one in r/comics when the drive started and it got zero attention.

p.s. upvoted:p

MaximKat
2012-01-31, 05:01 PM
And we're on the frontpage of /r/rpg!

WickedWizard17
2012-01-31, 05:13 PM
I AM EXTREMELY CONFUSED BY ALL THE NEW REWARDS. Do any of them stack? I already have two skinny books! I want War and XPs and Don't Split the Party rather than the other two! And I feel like a cruddy fan for saying that! If I pledge $45, as I was originally going to do, will I get WXP and DStP? /headdesk/ There are too many options and it's hurting my fragile brain! I only have a 15 Int score! :smalleek::smalleek::smalleek: Help, please.

Ted The Bug
2012-01-31, 05:15 PM
This is me lilting at windmills, but I can't help but notice that the difference between the DSTP reprint and Prize 3 looks almost identical to the difference between WaXP and Origins. Just saying, purely theoretically, that is. A book of the pledge comics could happen. I can dream.

SaintRidley
2012-01-31, 05:16 PM
I AM EXTREMELY CONFUSED BY ALL THE NEW REWARDS. Do any of them stack? I already have two skinny books! I want War and XPs and Don't Split the Party rather than the other two! And I feel like a cruddy fan for saying that! If I pledge $45, as I was originally going to do, will I get WXP and DStP? /headdesk/ There are too many options and it's hurting my fragile brain! I only have a 15 Int score! :smalleek::smalleek::smalleek: Help, please.

Here's what you want:

PLEDGE $78 OR MORE
53 BACKERS
One copy of Don't Split the Party and any one other color compilation book (Dungeon Crawlin' Fools, No Cure for the Paladin Blues, or War and XPs), plus a Roy Greenhilt magnet, shipped anywhere in the world. Increase your pledge by $30 to add a third compilation. (Canada/Mexico orders, please add $22 extra to your pledge to cover shipping; international orders, add $37.) [New reward! Added 1/31/12.]

Surfing HalfOrc
2012-01-31, 05:17 PM
With 20 days to go, $500,000 seems a little lowball... I think we might see SEVEN DIGITS!

It will be a close thing near the end, but I wouldn't really be surprised!

Sethala
2012-01-31, 05:19 PM

Generally, the only things you get for a certain pledge level is what's actually listed at that level (with the exception of the PDFs, which go to anyone that's getting any sort of reward). For your case, the $78 pledge gives you DStP and any one other compilation book (including WaXPs), that'll be your best bet.

Savannah
2012-01-31, 05:22 PM

No, they don't stack (aside from the pdf coming with anything over $10). However, if you can't find the exact combination you want, you can always select the closest option and message Rich on Kickstarter, asking to add whatever books aren't included. He'll tell you how much to add to your pledge to get what you want. (Looks like SaintRidley found what you wanted, so you won't need to bother!)

WickedWizard17
2012-01-31, 05:24 PM
Here's what you want:

Thank you! I hope my bank account can take it . . .

Wolfs Heart
2012-01-31, 05:26 PM
I've got to say congratulations to Order Of The Stick, and all the fans! What you guys are doing on kickstarter is absolutely amazing!!!

Corvus
2012-01-31, 05:29 PM
I'm staggered by what I'm seeing.

Now if only I wasn't a poor unemployed wannabe writer, I'd have love to buy one of those top of the line pledges.

Taelas
2012-01-31, 05:31 PM
With 20 days to go, $500,000 seems a little lowball... I think we might see SEVEN DIGITS!

It will be a close thing near the end, but I wouldn't really be surprised!

You assume the rate is sustainable. I kind of doubt it, but I've been surprised so far!

Procyonpi
2012-01-31, 05:46 PM
We're probably getting pretty close to another SoD print run at this point, even before Rich has formally listed that goal. I wonder if he'll keep making new goals, or just say "hey guys, I don't really have anything left to take your money for."

WNxArrakis
2012-01-31, 05:50 PM
I made this over four hours this morning:

http://ootskickstarterinfo.deviantart.com/art/OOTS-Kickstarter-Rewards-Infographic-10-85-Jan-31-282500806

It has all the current reward info up to $85

Connington
2012-01-31, 05:52 PM

http://ootskickstarterinfo.deviantart.com/art/OOTS-Kickstarter-Rewards-Infographic-10-85-Jan-31-282500806

You forgot the three pdfs (characters picked by the $1250 donors), which get distributed to everyone donating $10 or more.

That's right, you get SIX pdfs and a fridge magnet for 10 bucks.

Gift Jeraff
2012-01-31, 05:53 PM
Don't know if any of this is old news, but I figured I'd share my questions for/answers from Rich:
I have two unrelated questions:

1.) Any idea whether the PDF stories (besides O-Chul's) will be in greyscale or full-color? Or will it vary?

2.) Are there any plans to add the OOTS board game as a pledge reward? I've been meaning to buy the Deluxe Edition, and if there's a chance it'll be added as a reward I'll definitely up my pledge.

Thanks!
1.) They'll vary. O-Chul will be in blue, Julio will be in grey, and I haven't decided about the others yet. Dim Sun is leaning toward full color, but the "backer-created" stories will depend on what they choose.

2.) Maybe, but the game is tied in with APE Games, meaning that I have to split any profit with them for each copy. That makes it potentially complicated.

Thanks for writing!

--RichAnd thanks for answering. (I'd rather not flood him with anymore messages.)

WNxArrakis
2012-01-31, 05:55 PM
You forgot the three pdfs (characters picked by the $1250 donors), which get distributed to everyone donating $10 or more.

That's right, you get SIX pdfs and a fridge magnet for 10 bucks.

I will add them to the next update. For the effort it takes, I'll wait for Rich's next update with Mysterious #3 et al.

Fawkes
2012-01-31, 06:02 PM

I probably would have formatted that vertically instead of horizontally.

Absol197
2012-01-31, 06:03 PM
I will add them to the next update. For the effort it takes, I'll wait for Rich's next update with Mysterious #3 et al.

Although it would probably be a bit too much effort for you at this point, I might also suggest making it vertical, instead of horizontal. In my experience, if scrolling is required, people prefer vertical scrolling.

EDIT: Darn ninjas. I never see 'em coming! :smallbiggrin:

WNxArrakis
2012-01-31, 06:12 PM
Actually, each of the levels are their own layer; it may not be hard to do.

Procyonpi
2012-01-31, 06:16 PM
As funny as that might be, I doubt it: a full print run probably involves printing a couple hundred thousand copies. Our meager four-thousand copies won't really scratch that, even if everyone was getting a book (which about a quarter aren't).

I suspect a full print run is closer to 5 digits than 6, and at the low end of that. If I had to throw out a range, I'd say probably 10-25K copies, and maybe lower. Printing these books definitely costs more than a couple bucks, and Rich doesn't make a huge profit on the store / Oododook prices.

Joran
2012-01-31, 06:28 PM

The $25 tier should have "Add Money/Choose Something". You can add-on one more book to the Print.

SpacemanSpif
2012-01-31, 06:40 PM

The $62 level does not give you the option to get SSaDT.

MoonCat
2012-01-31, 06:44 PM
So, just looking at the money raised so far, there's enough to do a SoD already. wow. :smalleek:

Shouldn't someone edit kickstarter wiki page? We've overtaken the Coffee Joulies by now. And maybe the OoTS page too.

Weimann
2012-01-31, 06:48 PM
Do we actually know that, though? From what I understand we didn't have a hard number on SoD, just our speculation.

WNxArrakis
2012-01-31, 06:51 PM
Spif: I had read "any of the prequel books.' Will fix.

Absol197
2012-01-31, 06:56 PM
Do we actually know that, though? From what I understand we didn't have a hard number on SoD, just our speculation.

We have no hard number, yes, but we can do the math.

The other "skinny book," as the Giant calls them, OtOoPCs, cost about $20,000 over WaXPs.

The most expensive book was DStP, which cost around $80,000 over NCftPB.

We're currently close to $40,000 over what we needed for DStP. Can SoD really cost half of what it costs to print a full-color book more than three times its size? It will cost more than OtOoPCs, undoubtedly, as it has the color section in the middle, but I think the odds are very high that we've already hit that mark.

We don't empirically "KNOW," but if I were the gambling type, I think it would be a very safe bet (although not one that would net me a lot of money).

EDIT: Also, what level do you guys think we'd have to reach for the Giant to simply ask us, "Okay, please don't donate any more money."

MoonCat
2012-01-31, 06:59 PM

Well, not an outright statement, if we had a statement we wouldn't be off the chart right now, but it took 20,500 for the reprint of OotPCS, and right now we're 38,500 dollars over the latest goal, and he said that after that one we'd be doing OotPCS. so I'm pretty sure we've broken that goal too by now.

Gullintanni
2012-01-31, 07:00 PM
We have no hard number, yes, but we can do the math.

The other "skinny book," as the Giant calls them, OtOoPCs, cost about $20,000 over WaXPs.

The most expensive book was DStP, which cost around $80,000 over NCftPB.

We're currently close to $40,000 over what we needed for DStP. Can SoD really cost half of what it costs to print a full-color book more than three times its size? It will cost more than OtOoPCs, undoubtedly, as it has the color section in the middle, but I think the odds are very high that we've already hit that mark.

We don't empirically "KNOW," but if I were the gambling type, I think it would be a very safe bet (although not one that would net me a lot of money).

WaXPs actually cost more to reprint that OtOoPCs. There's a post from the Giant kickin' around here somewhere that explains why the cost to reprint WaXPs appears so low, namely that he already had some savings put toward WaXPs...

That makes it the anomaly in the calculations. We really can't use that data, cause we don't know how much Rich had saved.

CDP
2012-01-31, 07:03 PM
WaXPs actually cost more to reprint that OtOoPCs. There's a post from the Giant kickin' around here somewhere that explains why the cost to reprint WaXPs appears so low, namely that he already had some savings put toward WaXPs...

That makes it the anomaly in the calculations. We really can't use that data, cause we don't know how much Rich had saved.

About $16,000. He said so himself at one point (not sure where though).

Connington
2012-01-31, 07:06 PM
Shouldn't someone edit kickstarter wiki page? We've overtaken the Coffee Joulies by now. And maybe the OoTS page too.

Wikipedia only does finished Kickstarted drives. There's a couple currently ongoing that are roughly as successful as OoTS's and we're going to have to beat them.

About $16,000. He said so himself at one point (not sure where though).

Right in the update (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/599092525/the-order-of-the-stick-reprint-drive/posts/166764) where he told us how much we needed to raise.

SpacemanSpif
2012-01-31, 07:06 PM
Spif: I had read "any of the prequel books.' Will fix.

I just happen to be particularly well versed about what levels give you what skinny books because of my particular book situation.

As it happens, I already own Origin of the PCs, Start of Darkness, and nothing else. I jumped on the the (limited, but perpetually not sold out) $68 level, giving me Snips, Snails and Dragon Tails plus War and XPs, and now there isn't a reward level that lets me pick up any more books without giving up one I'm already looking forward to or buying a duplicate of one I already have. Which I'm actually fine with for now- I get the bonus materials and two nice books, I get to help out the pledge, and the rest of the books will be much easier to find in the future.

Absol197
2012-01-31, 07:09 PM

I know, but I'm not basing anything off of WaXPs. I'm measuring the "cost" of a reprint based off of the amount needed over the amount needed for the previous book. So, for OtOoPCs, the previous book needed to raise $76,450 for a full print run. After we raised that, we started raising for OtOoPCs. We needed to get to $96,950 for that. But $76,450 of that goal wasn't going towards OtOoPCs, it was going towards WaXPs. So the "cost," in pledge terms, of printing OtOoPCs was the difference, or $20,500.

Do you see what I mean, or does my explainationism need to be clearer?

Tev
2012-01-31, 07:29 PM
good point:

I would not be surprised if one of the next target lines is for upgrading the forums website severs (assuming SoD is still good on stock)

so after SoD reprint (which we've already guaranteed I guess) the next goal might be new servers ^^

Grey_Wolf_c
2012-01-31, 07:33 PM
good point:

so after SoD reprint (which we've already guaranteed I guess) the next goal might be new servers ^^

Rich has already said this is unlikely to happen, since Servers are not just a one-time expenditure but also an ongoing cost.

Edit: I also might add that as important as they are to forumnites, for the great majority of the readership they are not a desirable goal.

GW

Tev
2012-01-31, 07:36 PM
As I replied on Kickstarter on same topic:
well we could raise purchase cost + (let's say) one year worth of running
and Rich could easily do another kickstarter pledge (say just for bonus pdf) after a year for it . . . and maybe attach some new reprints as well

or as next targets . . . or maybe after everything gets reprinted like this time

darkelf
2012-01-31, 08:11 PM
i think it'd be more palatable to simply end the reprint drive once all the books are fully funded, and launch a separate drive for servers. that drive should stand or fall on its own merits.

jmucchiello
2012-01-31, 08:15 PM
4,738 Backers
$323,451
560% Funded

I think Rich is updating once in the morning and then avoiding the kickstarter website all day so it doesn't consume all his time: making graphs, coming up with more incentives, etc. It's a good plan if he hopes to remain sane, I think. :)

Vemynal
2012-01-31, 08:25 PM
Quick question; I want to pay the $139 to get the first 4 actual books (not prequels) along with the PDF's, etc.

But my concern is that Rich will release something else I may want instead. I mean this thing has a month left!!!

But I also don't want it to become sold out because I don't have the 4 books and this may be my only chance since they never get reprinted =x.

I know he isn't going to add an option for future books, I saw him post on a thread that he *will not* do that. But I also don't have Start of Darkness or Origin of PCs (the prequels) while I have Snips, Snails and Dragon Tails.

I sorta just wanna check that there won't be a option presented down the line that I'll wish I had held out for ya know?

MoonCat
2012-01-31, 08:28 PM
Quick question; I want to pay the $139 to get the first 4 actual books (not prequels) along with the PDF's, etc.

But my concern is that Rich will release something else I may want instead. I mean this thing has a month left!!!

But I also don't want it to become sold out because I don't have the 4 books and this may be my only chance since they never get reprinted =x.

I know he isn't going to add an option for future books, I saw him post on a thread that he *will not* do that. But I also don't have Start of Darkness or Origin of PCs (the prequels) while I have Snips, Snails and Dragon Tails.

I sorta just wanna check that there won't be a option presented down the line that I'll wish I had held out for ya know?

You can change the pledge amount or the reward you chose later on, don't worry. :smallsmile: It's not like you'll be stuck with t if you don't want it. They don't even charge till the end of the drive.

Vemynal
2012-01-31, 08:31 PM
Just saw that when I read how the kick starter works. I'm hella buying it =D

Hamiltonz
2012-01-31, 08:34 PM
The wife just gave me an updated Avatar to show off our backer number.

Wouldn't it be cool if everyone that participated also got a button?

I wonder how much 5,000 buttons would cost.

Serphimera
2012-01-31, 08:51 PM
I participated!

Vemynal
2012-01-31, 08:51 PM
Ok, new dumb question. I'm getting the $94 for books 1, 2 and Origin of PCs.
Then I'm tacking on +$30 for book 3
+$30 for book 4
+$16 for Start of Darkness

This fits within the maximum 6 books Rich specifies.

Total comes to $170.

I had selected this option and then increased the price set from $94.00 to $170.00. I'm at the submit page and I just want to make sure I've done this correctly.

Shale
2012-01-31, 08:56 PM
That math seems to work to me. Rich will send you a "survey" after Feb. 20 asking which books you want your extra cash to go toward.

turkishproverb
2012-01-31, 09:04 PM
I participated!

Those are AWESOME!

Kaazmodan
2012-01-31, 09:27 PM
For all those who said that they hope that The Giant is making money off this. So do I. As far as I see it, he still gets to sell several thousands of books, and despite the fact that his profit margin isn't that high, it should hopefully turn up a few bucks for him.

That isn't to say, that all this is not a big risk for him. He risks saturating his market for a very long time with all this, even if he does get to fill up the storages for future sellings, he might not have a big market for some time. And since kickstarter takes 5%, what could potentially be a big dent in his profit margins. But atleast we're blowing through the roof of the initial planned bugdet, which is pretty cool.

Anyway, for me, I'm just happy I get to replace NCFPB and WAXP right now. I managed to throw away the former somehow, and I managed to water damage my WAXP.

Porthos
2012-01-31, 09:28 PM
Win (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/599092525/the-order-of-the-stick-reprint-drive/posts/168732):

Sir Francois and the Dragon (featuring his herald, Elan!) Readers of On the Origin of PCs will know that before Elan traveled with Roy, Haley, and the others, he served as the (un)trusty herald for stalwart knight Sir Francois. When the pair find themselves in a village where young women are sacrificed to the local dragon, they are determined to put an end to the beast's depredations...and with a premise THAT clichéd, something is bound to go horribly, painfully wrong.

This story will be drawn in greyscale and included with all the other PDF stories for every backer who has pledged at least $10 (regardless of what rewards they chose). That means you get the O-Chul prequel, the three "backer's choice" stories, the Julio Scoundrél tale, the Dim Sun parody, and now the Sir Francois yarn all for a donation of $10 or more. It's a shockingly good value at this point, if I do say so myself, especially when you add in the magnet you're getting with it. Just don't hold me to any delivery date on these late additions; it may be almost summertime before you see the last of these!

No new incentives today, as Rich is thinking of what to do since all of the book ones are tapped out. Should be some up tomorrow though.

WeLoveFireballs
2012-01-31, 09:31 PM
http://www.overclock3d.net/gfx/articles/2011/12/04150004561l.gif

(This forum doesn't have the smiley I need so I borrowed one)

CoffeeIncluded
2012-01-31, 09:32 PM
Oh this is going to be amazing.

Except, wait a moment. "it may be almost summertime before you see the last of these!" The column on the right says that the physical rewards will arrive in April.

When will the physical rewards arrive? I need to know when, because my spring semester in college ends early May.

Porthos
2012-01-31, 09:35 PM
Oh this is going to be amazing.

Except, wait a moment. "it may be almost summertime before you see the last of these!" The column on the right says that the physical rewards will arrive in April.

When will the physical rewards arrive? I need to know when, because my spring semester in college ends early May.

He's talking about the PDFs. It's gonna take some time to make seven of them. It's almost certainly gonna be longer than OtOoPCs, for instance when they are all added together.

ETA:::

He also said that means that this is almost certainly gonna be the last PDF Mystery Prize. It's just getting to the point where it will take too long to make:

As far as new incentives go, give me a day to come up with some new ones. I've pretty much reached the limit of my ability to add new stories to the mix; any more, and it'll end up slowing down the regular strip. So expect whatever gets added next to skew more to the "merchandise" end of the spectrum, rather than another PDF story. I have plenty of ideas, all of them awesome, but not all of them necessarily practical. I'll find out which ones are and put a new purple line somewhere north of $350,000.

Flame of Anor
2012-01-31, 09:48 PM
Sir Francois? Really? Nine helllls yeaahhhh!!!!!!!!

:smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin:

turkishproverb
2012-01-31, 09:54 PM
...once again, things are more awesome when Flame says them, because you hear them in gandalf-voice.

I'm still surprised he hasn't added any of ookoodook's copies of the board game into the mix yet.

MoonCat
2012-01-31, 09:59 PM
This is awesome! Also, I'm probably going to up my pledge just for all the content I'm getting. The Giant could be selling it all as another SSDT for how large it's grown, but instead he's giving it to us for a mere ten dollars. Awesome! So yeah. This drive is ruining my frugal nature too. :smallredface::smalleek::smallbiggrin:

Also, I'm dying for the next update. I wanna see what the Belkster has to say about all this.

Flame of Anor
2012-01-31, 10:09 PM
...once again, things are more awesome when Flame says them, because you hear them in gandalf-voice.

Well, hrmph, I'm honored, young hobbit.

turkishproverb
2012-01-31, 10:14 PM
I be a dwarf you daft fool! :smalltongue:

blackjack217
2012-01-31, 10:21 PM
No more PDF's? Aww I was at least hoping that if we broke into the top ten we would get all the charts as a pdf.

Gwynfrid
2012-01-31, 10:24 PM
This is awesome! Also, I'm probably going to up my pledge just for all the content I'm getting. The Giant could be selling it all as another SSDT for how large it's grown, but instead he's giving it to us for a mere ten dollars. Awesome! So yeah. This drive is ruining my frugal nature too. :smallredface::smalleek::smallbiggrin:

Also, I'm dying for the next update. I wanna see what the Belkster has to say about all this.

I feel the same way, it's just ridiculous how many pages Rich is going to give everyone for $10! Of course I could consider this is paid for by the generosity of other backers, particularly those at the $1250 level. But since I can afford to pay for my own, I think I just ought to. It's just so weird to find out something you buy is way too cheap...

MoonCat
2012-01-31, 10:30 PM
No more PDF's? Aww I was at least hoping that if we broke into the top ten we would get all the charts as a pdf.

What do you mean? :smallconfused: The latest prize is a PDF.

Alagaesian
2012-01-31, 10:34 PM
I want to pledge to this kickstarter so badly but I can't afford it until my paycheck goes through...

When the total was at 40k, I thought the money was coming in at light speed. Even though the past day has seen faster growth that that, I didn't realize exactly how fast it was. What's 50k compared to 300k, am I right? Then, I saw the near-vertical line on today's graph. I think my mind is purposefully going through a block to prevent me from believing it. If I truly comprehended it, I'm pretty sure my brain would explode.

Advance Strat..
2012-01-31, 10:37 PM
I love how the latest edition to the graph looks VERTICAL.

It's awesome.

@MoonCat: Sir Francois is going to be the last pdf mystery prize is what he meant. No mystery prizes after this will be of pdf nature, just because there's getting to be so many.

Connington
2012-01-31, 10:37 PM
Huh, SoD is going to cost more than we thought it would. Of course, that just means a few hours of delay, but still.

Alas, things are probably going to slow down again, despite the update title. Hopefully we'll at least a merchandise prize. And it'd be pretty awesome if we cracked 400k.

Vahhn
2012-01-31, 10:40 PM
I don't have money to pledge (i can't bring myself to pledge only ten dollars...!) but with the addition of this pdf... i did not read SoD, OoPCs, SSaDT but now it is impossible to resist. I shall buy the print only package.

Savannah
2012-01-31, 10:43 PM
There's absolutely no shame in $10. Don't pledge more than you can afford; awesome as OotS is, it's not something you should have financial difficulties over.

MoonCat
2012-01-31, 10:44 PM
@MoonCat: Sir Francois is going to be the last pdf mystery prize is what he meant. No mystery prizes after this will be of pdf nature, just because there's getting to be so many.

I totally didn't realize that meant no more. Aww, that is too bad. Oh well! I just hope that means he'll add more cheap options for merch, since I love to pay more for awesome stuff.

ti'esar
2012-01-31, 10:44 PM
I can see where he or she is coming from - getting seven stories for ten dollars is starting to feel like robbery.

ORione
2012-01-31, 10:46 PM
It's getting faster. This is crazy, and I'm proud to be a part of it.

Vahhn
2012-01-31, 10:49 PM
Don't worry hehe, i will just have to switch around some of the money i was going to spend on miscellaneous things in february to buy these (not going to do any shady business :smallwink:) these pdf's are worth much more then 10 dollars, i just needed a nudge to buy the print books. But i have to wait 10 days or so to pledge.

The reason i can't pledge only 10 dollars is because i would be kicking myself in the future when i decide to buy the books anyway.

Advance Strat..
2012-01-31, 10:51 PM
Hey guys? I think we're breaking the kickstarter site.

Porthos
2012-01-31, 10:51 PM
Keith Baker tweeted about the drive earlier today. (http://twitter.com/#!/HellcowKeith/status/164404093803180032) :smallsmile:

DougTheHead
2012-01-31, 10:54 PM
I want to pledge to this kickstarter so badly but I can't afford it until my paycheck goes through...

Amazon doesn't take the money out of your account until Feb. 21. As long as you have 10 bucks in your account by that date you'll be fine. There's no need to wait before pledging, as long as you're sure you can make the amount by the 21st!

Andious
2012-01-31, 10:55 PM
SEVEN comics?!?

SEVEN comics?!? Seriously?!?

Actually, no, let's count the graphs as a comic too, there's definitely a story going on in there now.

EIGHT comics?!?

We're getting EIGHT comics now?!?

Starting to think I should give up hoping for the idea I keep hoping for.

... no, seriously, that's a question I'm asking here: Mr. Burlew, should I assume at this point you probably won't be offering a short maybe one-page comic of a background character as a possible reward at some point?

Because you're, um, you're kinda being, far more generous than I think anyone would ever dream of asking here...

... seriously, EIGHT comics?!?

Grey_Wolf_c
2012-01-31, 10:58 PM
Hey guys? I think we're breaking the kickstarter site.

Good. Maybe then they'll be forced to acknowledge the behemoth in the room and plug Rich in their front page.

Grey Wolf

ZombieMaster
2012-01-31, 11:02 PM
We're already pretty spoiled by all the PDF rewards we get, even for a $10 pledge, but I also see that there are going to be 65 people getting an original crayon drawing with any 2 characters they choose "comically interacting" as part of their reward (those are sold out, damnit).

Can I just ask, on behalf of the 4700+ of us who didn't get that reward, that those of you who get this reward please scan and upload their picture. It would be great if we could compile a PDF of all 65 of them...

Chess435
2012-01-31, 11:05 PM
$329k and counting! :smallcool:

Sharoth
2012-01-31, 11:06 PM
I vote to add Snips, Snails, and Dragon Tails to the reprint drive. The book was so good that it needs to be reprinted so everyone can get access to it. I do not mind it being reprinted even though I own a copy.

Flame of Anor
2012-01-31, 11:06 PM
I be a dwarf you daft fool! :smalltongue:

Fool of a Turk!

Sharoth
2012-01-31, 11:07 PM
We're already pretty spoiled by all the PDF rewards we get, even for a $10 pledge, but I also see that there are going to be 65 people getting an original crayon drawing with any 2 characters they choose "comically interacting" as part of their reward (those are sold out, damnit).

Can I just ask, on behalf of the 4700+ of us who didn't get that reward, that those of you who get this reward please scan and upload their picture. It would be great if we could compile a PDF of all 65 of them...

Amen to that! I would LOVE to see all the drawings that Rich will do.

MoonCat
2012-01-31, 11:10 PM
I can see where he or she is coming from - getting seven stories for ten dollars is starting to feel like robbery.

He's writing the stories anyway, so the only difference if whether he'll have your ten dollar or not.

Also, I can't believe my eyes. Is it speeding up? :smalleek::smalleek::smalleek:

Sharoth
2012-01-31, 11:11 PM
Rich,

I vote to add Snips, Snails, and Dragon Tails to the reprint drive. The book was so good that it needs to be reprinted so everyone can get access to it. I do not mind it being reprinted even though I own a copy.

Also, as someone said, we would all love to see scans of the pictures that you are going to draw for the contributors. ~grins~ Hey, it can't hurt to ask.

And last but not least, can we also have the OotS Kickstarter graphs added to the final PDF batch?

Thanks for answering these questions / requests Rich. Yes or No, we all appreciate what you are doing for us. Keep up the good work.

Thanks,
Sharoth

turkishproverb
2012-01-31, 11:15 PM
Fool of a Turk!

Ok, you win an internet. And a cookie.

Squark
2012-01-31, 11:21 PM
I participated!

I hope you don't mind me stealing your avatar idea.Mine could use an update.

Flame of Anor
2012-01-31, 11:22 PM
Ok, you win an internet. And a cookie.

Thanks! Have a firework! :smallsmile:

Grey_Wolf_c
2012-01-31, 11:24 PM
He's writing the stories anyway, so the only difference if whether he'll have ten dollar or not.

Ah, but if they feel bad about it, they may up their pledge, as I did, and then we all win.

GW

Gwynfrid
2012-01-31, 11:26 PM
Also, I can't believe my eyes. Is it speeding up? :smalleek::smalleek::smalleek:

I'd wager your eyes are right. Also, it's not just existing backers upgrading to packages including DStP. New backers have been steadily joining. This looks like it should be studied in a course about Marketing in the Age of the Internet, or something.

Shale
2012-01-31, 11:27 PM
Good. Maybe then they'll be forced to acknowledge the behemoth in the room and plug Rich in their front page.

Grey Wolf

To be fair, it's not like he needs the help.

MoonCat
2012-01-31, 11:29 PM
Ah, but if they feel bad about it, they may up their pledge, as I did, and then we all win.

GW

I'm just saying, not donating and not getting the stuff benefits no one when he's already writing the PDFs anyway.

I'd wager your eyes are right. Also, it's not just existing backers upgrading to packages including DStP. New backers have been steadily joining. This looks like it should be studied in a course about Marketing in the Age of the Internet, or something.

Mm. Scary.

PirateMonk
2012-01-31, 11:30 PM
According to the Wikipedia list, if we can keep up the average rate so far for the rest of the month, this will be the #1 Kickstarter drive ever.

It probably won't happen, but...

Porthos
2012-01-31, 11:36 PM

Since the update at 11:30pm PST last night:

{table]Time | Backers | Amount | Difference from last hour
11pm| 4,326 | $261,116 | 383
--11:29 | DStP | Pledge Points | Added
Mid: | 4,355 | $271,626 | 10510
1am | 4,374 | $277,640 | 7016
2am | 4,397 | $281,511 | 3871
This| Space | Left | Blank
10am | 4,578 | $308,477 | (3370.75 per hour)
11am | 4,612 | $311,030 | 2553
Noon | 4,648 | $313,963 | 2933
1pm | 4,669 | $315,980 | 2017
2pm | 4,687 | $318,474 | 2494
3pm | 4,703 | $320,195 | 1721
4pm | 4,726 | $321,774 | 1579
5pm | 4,736 | $323,232 | 1458
6pm | 4,757 | $324,478 | 1246
7pm | 4,786 | $326,833 | 2355
8pm | 4,814 | $328,875 | 2042[/table]

I would think the demand that DStP brought (including people wanting the All The Books packages) will burn through again starting tomorrow.

Then again, tomorrow is the first of the month, with the paycheck certainity that brings to many people. So I'm sure the pledge rate will subside again, but who knows how much it will.

Exediron
2012-01-31, 11:37 PM
Well, I missed the latest update while adding up the new chart, but since it apparently didn't add any new rewards this hopefully won't be too out of date.

4,758 backers / $324,642 dollars
Average Pledge: $68

{TABLE]Level|Backers|Money|Percent Backers|Percent Money
$10|1,260|$12,600|26.4%|3.88%
$14|320|$4,480|6.72%|1.37%
$25|444|$11,100|9.33%|3.41%
$26|195|$5,070|4.09%|1.56%
$29|59|$1,711|1.24%|0.52%
$35|200|$7,000|4.20%|2.15%
$37|27|$999|0.56%|0.30%
$38|25|$950|0.52%|0.29%
$42|24|$1,008|0.50%|0.31%
$43|23|$989|0.48%|0.30%
$45|319|$14,355|6.70%|4.42%
$50|25|$1,250|0.52%|0.38%
$52|30|$1,560|0.63%|0.48%
$57|30|$1,710|0.63%|0.52%
$60|25|$1,500|0.52%|0.46%
$61|72|$4,392|1.51%|1.35%
$62|37|$2,294|0.77%|0.70%
$65|34|$975|0.71%|0.30%
$67|344|$23,048|7.22%|7.09%
$68|273|$18,564|5.73%|5.71%
$78|63|$4,914|1.32%|1.51%
$79|81|$6,399|1.70%|1.97%
$83|25|$2,075|0.52%|0.63%
$84|9|$756|0.18%|0.23%
$87|63|$5,481|1.32%|1.68%
$92|35|$3,220|0.73%|0.99%
$94|151|$14,194|3.17%|4.37%
$96|30|$2,880|0.63%|0.88%
$100|10|$1,000|0.21%|0.30%
$139|54|$7,506|1.13%|2.31%
$192|41|$7,872|0.86%|2.42%
$222|266|$59,052|5.59%|18.1%
$240|15|$3,600|0.31%|1.10%
$250|50|$12,500|1.05%|3.85%
$262|30|$7,860|0.63%|2.42%
$305|25|$7,625|0.52%|2.34%
$575|15|$8,625|0.31%|2.65%
$600|5|$3,000|0.10%|0.92%
$1,250|3|$3,750|0.06%|1.15%
$5,000|1|$5,000|0.02%|1.54%[/TABLE]
Lines in bold are limited rewards.

No Level: 20 (0.42% of backers)
Above Level: $41,778 (12.8% of funds)

Obviously the $222 level is a runaway success, now accounting for almost a solid fifth of all funds raised in the drive. I may soon be joining it - the average pledge has gotten higher than my current pledge, and I said that I'd raise mine if that happens. Since I don't like to go half way, the only reasonable upgrade is the entire package. A few comments:

Interestingly, it appears that the above-level amount has actually gone down with the latest update.
The percentage of the total funds which is drawn from the lowest level has been steadily going down since I first starting tracking the numbers; it looks to be overtaken by the $25 category any time now.
Not only does the $222 level account for the largest percentage of funds of any level, it accounts for more than the next highest three levels combined!
$192 has gone from one of the largest levels to one of the smallest; this was as expected - it would probably get deleted entirely if possible.
About 68% of the funds come from non-limited rewards and 32% from limited reward levels (not counting above-level pledging).
The average pledge is $68 dollars ($66 not counting the top 9 pledges).
The least popular level is still $84.

Now to read the update myself :smallsmile:

EDIT:

I actually haven't read Origins myself yet, so when I get all my pledge rewards I'll have to remember to read the book before that part of the PDF :smallsmile:

Anyway, by the time I hit 'Save Changes' the Start of Darkness line is probably gonna be crossed. I give this chart two days.

Andious
2012-01-31, 11:58 PM
Huh, I just noticed something... Mr. Burlew said he's going to put the 4th mystery prize "somewhere north of $350,000." There's also that red $387,550 line, implying it would have to be before that...

Remember my earlier joke about "let's go beyond the 4th mystery prize before he can even place it?" I was just kidding because that sounded so completely ridiculous and technically impossible, but now... it's actually possible... highly unlikely, but, not impossible...

SaintRidley
2012-01-31, 11:59 PM
*snip*

Anyway, by the time I hit 'Save Changes' the Start of Darkness line is probably gonna be crossed. I give this chart two days.

Cool analysis. Also, you were very close with this prediction. Start of Darkness was $82 from being funded when your edit went live.

Wolfs Heart
2012-02-01, 12:01 AM
According to the Wikipedia list, if we can keep up the average rate so far for the rest of the month, this will be the #1 Kickstarter drive ever.

That would be quite a accomplishment!
Jeff

Advance Strat..
2012-02-01, 12:02 AM
$30 until SoD is ready for reprint!

EDIT: And there it goes! SoD has enough for reprint!

Surfing HalfOrc
2012-02-01, 12:06 AM
Now the question is: "What is the Mystery Prize for One MILLION Dollars?!?!" :smallbiggrin:

I have a very good feeling that Rich will hit that insane mark.

It almost reminds me of an old commercial where the founders of an Internet company get their first purchases, then more and more.

First they're happy because they are Officially In Business, then they are excited because they are Doing Well.Then they are worried because they are Doing Too Well. As in more customers than they can actually serve, and more and more keep pouring in. :smalleek:

Well, in the current economy, at least a few warehouse workers will be employed!

CloakedDancer
2012-02-01, 12:10 AM
Oh yes we did!

Squark
2012-02-01, 12:10 AM
*Happy dances*

WampaX
2012-02-01, 12:12 AM
Keith Baker tweeted about the drive earlier today. (http://twitter.com/#!/HellcowKeith/status/164404093803180032) :smallsmile:

Hmmm . . .
<sound of rustling papers>
Its around here somewhere . . . ah yes, here it is.
A selection from the letters of one from the frontlines.

From the foxhole, I could see the fiery glow of the HellCow receded into the distance. It illuminated the cloud filled evening sky with an ochre brilliance unseen in the short history of the playground. Brighter plumes of what could only be exhalations from the creature, cast eerie shadows across the desolate landscape.

Farther away, I could hear the low bass thoomb thoomb thoomb of the Giant's approach. There was no possibility of seeing him through the cloud cover, but occasionally I would glimpse the massive shape immulimated by the fiery breathing of the HellCow. They were converging on something in the darkness. Something that seemd to absorb the burnt amber light.

It let out a cry unlike any I had ever heard. A crackling thunderous thing that rolled through the cloud cover. But unlike the nervous fear it instilled in me, the bellow appeared to churn the resolve of our mammoth allies as they answered in kind.

The conflict lasted well into the night. We were involved in our own fight in the trenches, but every gout of breath from the HellCow provided us with a glimpse of the conflict happening on the horizon. Titans were fighting for us and we were fighting for them. I saw Wampinator swarmed by a mob of our attackers and lost track of him as the tide of the battle pushed me out of the trenches and onto the plane above. From there I saw the end.

I could not tell if it was a blow from the Giant, HellCow, or a combination of the two, but the dark shape they were engaged with began to crack. Jagged shards of light radiated from a point somewhere near the top of the thing. They spread across its surface like the spiderweb on a cracked pane of glass. The thing bellowed again and the mobs swarming our lines paused at the sound of no longer a colossal menace, but a wounded beast. I lost sight of the horizon as I fought my way back into the trenches through the press of madly scrambling bodies.

When everything calmed again, I heard the thoomb thoomb thoomb again. I peered over the edge and saw the two titanic shapes being slowly enveloped by the evening darkness. I watched them grow smaller and smaller for a few moments until turning my attentions to my fellow combatants. It had been like something out of a bard's tale or a dream. The details began to fade almost as soon as the song of battle had ended.

- Excert from letters sent home by Bogotter, former Mod Otter in the Playground

Lukraak
2012-02-01, 12:30 AM
I don't often post, but I do have to mention that it takes a special kind of comic writing skill to make a frigging excel spreadshead entertaining enough for me to recheck the pledge page WAY too often to see the next installment in the line antics ;)

I have clearly NOT upgraded my pledge to see the line go up, that would make my GF upset. Honest guv.

silvadel
2012-02-01, 12:31 AM
What I would like is a book of all of the additional material from the color books. I think there is enough there now that it could make a sizable normal book on its own. Now I have bought both Origin of PC and Start of Darkness but I am happy enough with the comics on the site -- I do not need them in book form, but I would be interested in the commentaries and the A strips that were not included on the website.

Joran
2012-02-01, 12:32 AM

Well, it's Jonathan Coulton's Law:

1) Make something awesome
2) Make it easy to buy
3) Profit (or at least make a decent living)

P.S. I'm in for another $30 at least for Don't Split the Party, but I'm waiting on whatever merch Rich is going to come up with.

SaintRidley
2012-02-01, 12:37 AM
What I would like is a book of all of the additional material from the color books. I think there is enough there now that it could make a sizable normal book on its own. Now I have bought both Origin of PC and Start of Darkness but I am happy enough with the comics on the site -- I do not need them in book form, but I would be interested in the commentaries and the A strips that were not included on the website.

Unlikely to happen, given that the bonus strips and commentaries are the primary reason (aside from having a physical book and shoving money Rich's way) to purchase the compilations. Making a book like that would completely undercut the point of the compilations.

Exediron
2012-02-01, 12:37 AM
Huh, I just noticed something... Mr. Burlew said he's going to put the 4th mystery prize "somewhere north of $350,000." There's also that red $387,550 line, implying it would have to be before that...

Judging by the gaps between the previous mystery prizes, I don't think we're likely to see another before $400,000. If there is going to be a 4th mystery prize, it will probably be announced as a target in the next update. I can't imagine what it would be, though; I'd love to see him put the extra funds towards making the PDF a printed book for no extra charge, available to all 10+ backers - but that would delay it even further and probably isn't realistic.

Cool analysis. Also, you were very close with this prediction. Start of Darkness was $82 from being funded when your edit went live.

Thanks :smallsmile: We'll see how close I was on the other prediction. The way things have been going, I won't be too surprised if the chart doesn't even last a full day.

Now the question is: "What is the Mystery Prize for One MILLION Dollars?!?!" :smallbiggrin:

I have a very good feeling that Rich will hit that insane mark.

I think the possibility of hitting that mark, or any mark much above $400,000, depends on how many more unique goals and high-level pledges Rich can think of / is able to provide. About 45% of the traceable funding for the drive comes from pledges above the $100 level, and almost the entire recent surge did, as well.

Out of the things I can think of likely to gather a huge amount of interest, several have already been ruled out (new books, for instance). Artwork seems to disappear the fastest and carries a high premium, so a new level with artwork (such as the vector artwork level suggested earlier) would probably be a guaranteed sell-out.

There has also been interest in t-shirts or buttons commemorating the pledge (maybe with your pledge level on it? That would inspire people to pledge up :smallbiggrin:), and a rather strong showing for a print version of the PDF. That one doesn't seem likely, however.

To get to a million dollars all we really need is 500 people willing to pledge $1,400; if we combine all of the above interest items into one $1,400 pledge idea...

How about a ludicrously large print of vector artwork depicting a selection of your favorite six characters wearing t-shirts celebrating the pledge drive, signed with your pledge level and sequence number! And it would have scenes from the PDF carefully etched around its wooden border!

Okay, somewhere along the road that became something a little bit over the $1400 level, and rather unrealistic to boot :smallwink:

Andious
2012-02-01, 12:46 AM
Judging by the gaps between the previous mystery prizes, I don't think we're likely to see another before $400,000.

Aw c'mon, lemmie have my ridiculous fantasies, heh... they're all I have sometimes...

But if you really want me to be serious though, then yeah, obviously he's not going to add a bar where the red-line has already passed through. If anything, he might raise other bars due to re-calculations of how much certain things are going to cost, seeing as that's already happened in the past.

0Megabyte
2012-02-01, 12:53 AM
We're now at seven short stories. Seven! Wow, that's amazing. That sounds almost like it's enough for its own book.

Obviously, such a book wouldn't be in the drive. But it isn't as crazy as it seems.
Consider that the compilation books are of a comic available free online, and that we are having a fundraiser to get them back in print. It seems like actually printing these stories as a new book for anyone who learns of this comic after the drive ends, or any one of us who wanted a hardcopy, would be a worthwhile, awesome thing.

Like all the other books, it would require a bit more content, of course, but hey, why not? Basically, it would be kind of like Snips, Snails and Dragon Tails 2.

And I even realized what the perfect name would be.

Drawing the Short Stick.

Get it? Get it?!!

I hereby relinquish all legal rights to this title, and would sign any required legal documents to that effect, and make a sacrifice to any devil, demon, daemon, epic-level spellcaster or interested outsider of any sort in order to make this happen and seal the pact.

And no, I don't truly believe that the Giant would take this title, even if he DID make a compilation book. But... my statement still stands.

CDP
2012-02-01, 01:17 AM
We're now at seven short stories. Seven! Wow, that's amazing. That sounds almost like it's enough for its own book.

Obviously, such a book wouldn't be in the drive. But it isn't as crazy as it seems.
Consider that the compilation books are of a comic available free online, and that we are having a fundraiser to get them back in print. It seems like actually printing these stories as a new book for anyone who learns of this comic after the drive ends, or any one of us who wanted a hardcopy, would be a worthwhile, awesome thing.

Like all the other books, it would require a bit more content, of course, but hey, why not? Basically, it would be kind of like Snips, Snails and Dragon Tails 2.

And I even realized what the perfect name would be.

Drawing the Short Stick.

Get it? Get it?!!

I hereby relinquish all legal rights to this title, and would sign any required legal documents to that effect, and make a sacrifice to any devil, demon, daemon, epic-level spellcaster or interested outsider of any sort in order to make this happen and seal the pact.

And no, I don't truly believe that the Giant would take this title, even if he DID make a compilation book. But... my statement still stands.

Personally, I would prefer keeping the original PDF title with some added nostalgia in it. Like those folklore compilations I used to read as a kid.

How The Paladin Got His Scar
And Other Stories

ella ventic
2012-02-01, 01:20 AM
Does anyone remember where Rich gave the estimate of remaining SS&DT copies? This issue is coming up in the Kickstarter comments (1291 copies are currently reserved through pledges) and I can't seem to find the reference. Thanks!

Sethala
2012-02-01, 01:46 AM
That was me, he said he had "over 1000" copies left when I messaged him. No idea what his actual stock levels are, though.

SweetBB
2012-02-01, 01:52 AM
Hopefully if limited edition OOTS swag is on the Kickstarter horizon, Rich will make it available as add-ons to current pledges. I don't want to give up my signed books and crayon drawing, but oooooooh I would love a commemorative t-shirt, bag or mug!! ...or maybe all three! :biggrin:

Tanuki Tales
2012-02-01, 01:53 AM
Hmmm . . .

From the foxhole, I could see the fiery glow of the HellCow receded into the distance. It illuminated the cloud filled evening sky with an ochre brilliance unseen in the short history of the playground. Brighter plumes of what could only be exhalations from the creature, cast eerie shadows across the desolate landscape.

Farther away, I could hear the low bass thoomb thoomb thoomb of the Giant's approach. There was no possibility of seeing him through the cloud cover, but occasionally I would glimpse the massive shape immulimated by the fiery breathing of the HellCow. They were converging on something in the darkness. Something that seemd to absorb the burnt amber light.

It let out a cry unlike any I had ever heard. A crackling thunderous thing that rolled through the cloud cover. But unlike the nervous fear it instilled in me, the bellow appeared to churn the resolve of our mammoth allies as they answered in kind.

The conflict lasted well into the night. We were involved in our own fight in the trenches, but every gout of breath from the HellCow provided us with a glimpse of the conflict happening on the horizon. Titans were fighting for us and we were fighting for them. I saw Wampinator swarmed by a mob of our attackers and lost track of him as the tide of the battle pushed me out of the trenches and onto the plane above. From there I saw the end.

I could not tell if it was a blow from the Giant, HellCow, or a combination of the two, but the dark shape they were engaged with began to crack. Jagged shards of light radiated from a point somewhere near the top of the thing. They spread across its surface like the spiderweb on a cracked pane of glass. The thing bellowed again and the mobs swarming our lines paused at the sound of no longer a colossal menace, but a wounded beast. I lost sight of the horizon as I fought my way back into the trenches through the press of madly scrambling bodies.

When everything calmed again, I heard the thoomb thoomb thoomb again. I peered over the edge and saw the two titanic shapes being slowly enveloped by the evening darkness. I watched them grow smaller and smaller for a few moments until turning my attentions to my fellow combatants. It had been like something out of a bard's tale or a dream. The details began to fade almost as soon as the song of battle had ended.

:smallbiggrin:

The continuing Saga Ballad of the Rich Baker makes me smile.

Dragon Star
2012-02-01, 01:56 AM
Hopefully if limited edition OOTS swag is on the Kickstarter horizon, Rich will make it available as add-ons to current pledges. I don't want to give up my signed books and crayon drawing, but oooooooh I would love a commemorative t-shirt, bag or mug!! ...or maybe all three! :biggrin:

Just make a second kickstarter account.

ella ventic
2012-02-01, 01:59 AM
That was me, he said he had "over 1000" copies left when I messaged him. No idea what his actual stock levels are, though.

Ah, that answers my question. Thanks, Sethala!

Joran
2012-02-01, 01:59 AM
Unlikely to happen, given that the bonus strips and commentaries are the primary reason (aside from having a physical book and shoving money Rich's way) to purchase the compilations. Making a book like that would completely undercut the point of the compilations.

Also, the bonus pages only make sense in context, in order with the web strips. Compiling them in a book would be like putting together a movie of only deleted scenes.

P.S. Talk about setting records, we're nearly at the 50 page mark...

Menarker
2012-02-01, 02:01 AM
I somehow predict that within the time span of a few charts, if Belkar gets free of his bonds, he'll try to knife-stab Haley from below via his +20 Ring of Jumping as revenge for all the kickings and beatdowns he'd be subjected to for this fundraiser... :smalleek:

SweetBB
2012-02-01, 02:11 AM
Just make a second kickstarter account.

I just may do that. Although I gave up my signed ornaments for my current pledge, that was in deference to my smoking credit card. :smalleek:

However, if commemorative OOTS swag was on the table? Well, I think I could manage a little bit more before it bursts into flames entirely! :smallbiggrin:

dtilque
2012-02-01, 02:12 AM
The next lines on the graph (not counting mystery prizes) should be for double print runs of the books. The speed at which pledges are coming in makes me suspect that Rich is severely underestimating demand for the books. If he just does a full print run for the books, I expect most will sell out within a year and we'll quickly be back to the situation this pledge drive was meant to fix.

Doing a double print run should cost less than 2 single print runs, since you avoid setup costs. So he should seriously be considering double or even triple print runs.

SaintRidley
2012-02-01, 02:21 AM
The next lines on the graph (not counting mystery prizes) should be for double print runs of the books. The speed at which pledges are coming in makes me suspect that Rich is severely underestimating demand for the books. If he just does a full print run for the books, I expect most will sell out within a year and we'll quickly be back to the situation this pledge drive was meant to fix.

Doing a double print run should cost less than 2 single print runs, since you avoid setup costs. So he should seriously be considering double or even triple print runs.

I believe Rich has said that the number of copies turned out by a Full Print Run is actually the optimal point in terms of cost for number of books.

Porthos
2012-02-01, 02:24 AM
I believe Rich has said that the number of copies turned out by a Full Print Run is actually the optimal point in terms of cost for number of books.

He also commented on Reddit recently that storage space is an issue when it comes to the books. Thus he can't print too many of them.

Still, if the drive keeps going up and up, I'm sure Rich will figure out something to do with the money. :smallwink:

CDP
2012-02-01, 02:28 AM
He also commented on Reddit recently that storage space is an issue when it comes to the books. Thus he can't print too many of them.

Still, if the drive keeps going up and up, I'm sure Rich will figure out something to do with the money. :smallwink:

I'm sure he could. For example, he could do a run of the old magnets, the old ornaments, old con-exclusive T-shirts, a second limited-edition run of SS&DT, the possibilities are endless!

Flame of Anor
2012-02-01, 02:35 AM
Hmmm . . .

Could you please maybe un-retire yourself, WampaX? Or at least hang around more? You're fun, and it's a nice change from the fun and complete lack of mind control. If you tantalize us with this kind of thing and then just go away, it might drive us kumquats.

a run of the old magnets, the old ornaments, old con-exclusive T-shirts, a second limited-edition run of SS&DT, the possibilities are endless!

YES YES YES

http://howmuchdoesbracescost.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/rainbowmouth.jpg

Sethala
2012-02-01, 02:51 AM
While he can't really print a lot more than what he thinks he can sell in a reasonable timeframe, it should be easy enough to save the money and then afford a full print run of whatever sells out. Even if he doesn't earn enough money from Kickstarter, there should be enough extra from the actual book sales to make up the difference.

Although, someone mentioning SSaDT earlier makes me wonder what might happen if he actually doesn't have enough copies left. I know he said he figures he has enough, but that was back when we were around the $100k level. Now that the total has shot up, I'm wondering just how many of them want the extra book.

Though admittedly, he could probably just shift the total from the "when they run out" reprints to SSaDT if that's the case, since he's pretty much forced to reprint it if he doesn't have enough to cover all the pledges...

Elder Tsofu
2012-02-01, 02:54 AM
I'm sure he could. For example, he could do a run of the old magnets, the old ornaments, old con-exclusive T-shirts, a second limited-edition run of SS&DT, the possibilities are endless!

There are problems with making something clearly stated as limited, "unlimited". For one it might make earlier buyers (who bought under the impression of it actually being limited) discontent. The second is that it undercuts any future "limited" objects since they'll obviously get reprinted/remade at the earlies convenient time.
Much of the limited content we see now seem to be left-overs from the earlier limited runs (magnets, ornaments and SS&DT) so it doesn't really count, but a second run of them?

factotum
2012-02-01, 03:07 AM
There's a limit to how much *new* stuff can be done, though...Rich is just one man, when all's said and done, and there's going to have to come a point where he says, "I'm going to have to stop adding rewards here because I'm simply not going to have time to do them all in a timescale that will keep my pledgers satisfied!". Reprinting SSaDT would alleviate that somewhat.

I do wonder how much of a market is going to be left for the books after this, though...surely most people who want a book will have got it as part of the drive?

SaintRidley
2012-02-01, 03:12 AM
There's a limit to how much *new* stuff can be done, though...Rich is just one man, when all's said and done, and there's going to have to come a point where he says, "I'm going to have to stop adding rewards here because I'm simply not going to have time to do them all in a timescale that will keep my pledgers satisfied!". Reprinting SSaDT would alleviate that somewhat.

I do wonder how much of a market is going to be left for the books after this, though...surely most people who want a book will have got it as part of the drive?

There will always be people who discover the comic after this drive is over. This is for them more than anybody, I think.

Elder Tsofu
2012-02-01, 03:16 AM

Certainly, but since we've gone into a loop, reprinting books that weren't sold out before the drive but might be after it, there is the question on how much he'd need to add since the obvious pledge-goals appear to become more and more limited in their number.

fergo
2012-02-01, 04:21 AM
There will always be people who discover the comic after this drive is over. This is for them more than anybody, I think.

Personally, I'm so short of money right now I can only afford to pledge for the book that isn't (mostly) available online, OtOoPC (I already have SoD and SSaDT). However, I hope that at some point in the future I'll be able to grab the rest of the books. So the more are printed and the longer they're available is all the better for me. I'd kick myself if by the time I could spare the money, they were all sold out :smalleek:.

Deth Muncher
2012-02-01, 04:31 AM
Well Rich, I hope this has taught you a valuable lesson.

That lesson is, of course, that you have many adoring fans who have deep pockets who want you to succeed, because you have the best damn (color) stick figure comic on all of The Tubes.

MurkyMajare
2012-02-01, 05:57 AM
Well Rich, I hope this has taught you a valuable lesson.

That lesson is, of course, that you have many adoring fans who have deep pockets who want you to succeed, because you have the best damn (color) stick figure comic on all of The Tubes.

And not just stick figure comic... any comic if you ask me.

Hamiltonz
2012-02-01, 07:00 AM

With the added media attention people that would love the books but just don't know about them are now learning about them. What is really warming my heart is the fact that brick-n-mortar stores will now start carrying the full series of books again. I personally bought up the last of the books from my favorite shop. Now they will be able to replace those books and many more people will get a chance to discover what a really cool comic OotS really is.

Gullintanni
2012-02-01, 07:41 AM
If every current pledger increases their pledge by $1, we'll be in the top 10. :smalltongue:

Ancalagon
2012-02-01, 07:44 AM
I wonder if the goals are with or without the ~8% that amazon + kickstarter take.

factotum
2012-02-01, 07:47 AM
I wonder if the goals are with or without the ~8% that amazon + kickstarter take.

It would be a bit pointless if they DIDN'T already take those into account, because Rich would have to turn round and say, "Sorry, I know I said it'd only take £X to do this, but we actually need £X x 1.08 because I forgot about Kickstarter's and Amazon's cut"...

The Glyphstone
2012-02-01, 08:43 AM
Cmon guys, less than 2K until we're in the all-time top 10...

Xapi
2012-02-01, 09:25 AM
Cmon guys, less than 2K until we're in the all-time top 10...

... it's done already...

Also: WOOOOOT

Gullintanni
2012-02-01, 09:26 AM
Cracked the Top 10 in 10 days. Awesome.

EDIT: Wikipedia's (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kickstarter#Top_projects_by_funds_raised) already been updated. Someone's been watching closely.

Weimann
2012-02-01, 09:32 AM
We shall need a new thread soon, too... I guess it's Rich's honour?

As for milestones, we also just broke 5k backers. Cheers for us!

Joxer t' Mighty
2012-02-01, 09:33 AM
EDIT: Wikipedia's (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kickstarter#Top_projects_by_funds_raised) already been updated. Someone's been watching closely.
They failed to alter the link however.

Gullintanni
2012-02-01, 09:36 AM
They failed to alter the link however.

Fixed it :smalltongue:

Though, what needs to be fixed now is that the project that got bumped down by OotS hasn't been moved into the 10th spot.

Xapi
2012-02-01, 09:41 AM
Fixed it :smalltongue:

Though, what needs to be fixed now is that the project that got bumped down by OotS hasn't been moved into the 10th spot.

I don't think it makes much sense to keep updating the Wikipedia page real-time.

OTOH: I suppose we're 2k away from being the biggest art project in Kickstarter history...

Gullintanni
2012-02-01, 09:49 AM
I don't think it makes much sense to keep updating the Wikipedia page real-time.

I agree...all I did was fix the link. IMHO, the wiki probably should've been left unedited until the Kickstarter drive closed, but c'est la vie.

WampaX
2012-02-01, 10:02 AM

Don't forget the old buttons . . .
go back and look through the news posts, I'll wait.
8/7/2005
Haley and Xykon are good examples . . . plus the blue scale 1ed cover shirt . . . those were cool.

Could you please maybe un-retire yourself, WampaX? Or at least hang around more? You're fun, and it's a nice change from the fun and complete lack of mind control. If you tantalize us with this kind of thing and then just go away, it might drive us kumquats.

Mmmmm . . . kumquats.
Even perhaps bribed with a bushel, I would not un-retire. There is too much left to be done on the Lego minifig scale replica of Castle Ravenloft. Also, SWTOR. I can swoop around during work hours again, but its the "work" hours, not the "be a mod on message board" hours, I get paid for.

I am here for support of the Drive (Wooo! Go Drive! Woooo! <waves little drive pennant>) and to, apparently, pass on the heretofore unknown tale of the Rich Baker . . . as I find parts of it again.

Joxer t' Mighty
2012-02-01, 10:47 AM
In 9th place now...

Kaed
2012-02-01, 11:32 AM
I get this feeling that maybe people are pledging just to inflate the record and are going to withdraw their pledges at the last minute...

After all, this process seems to be an 'on your honor' donation thing more than anything else...

Zigg'rrauglurr
2012-02-01, 11:38 AM
I'm participating! woooo....

(Now with decorated avatar :smallsmile:)

silvadel
2012-02-01, 11:39 AM

I seriously doubt the same people who would buy a book of bonus are the same people who buy the color books. As others have said it would be a book you had to read at the computer. Especially since there would likely only be 2 such books -- there would be quite some wait between them.

ArtosSwiftblade
2012-02-01, 11:42 AM
I'm going to take a guess that the next mystery prize line will be in the vicinity of $365k; as a kind of half-way house to incentivise hitting $387k. Next update shall tell :-)

That wiki page is currently missing a currently funding ipod dock project that's at over 700k though, so it's not quite as rosy as Wiki suggests.

Gullintanni
2012-02-01, 11:44 AM
That wiki page is currently missing a currently funding ipod dock project that's at over 700k though, so it's not quite as rosy as Wiki suggests.

Indeed, but that still puts us in 9th place overall. Which is a win :smalltongue:

keldorn
2012-02-01, 12:21 PM
I fixed that. My first choice with my Wikipedia hat on would be to remove OOTS, but I can't see that working without the page being protected. As long as a new project does not also break the top 10 while we are running, then everything can be back to how it should be on two weeks Tuesday.

Joxer t' Mighty
2012-02-01, 12:26 PM
I get this feeling that maybe people are pledging just to inflate the record and are going to withdraw their pledges at the last minute...

After all, this process seems to be an 'on your honor' donation thing more than anything else...
Cynical as that is... yeah, I'm of the same opinion. Noticed a few times now the dollar number actually go down. Not sure if it is because it just didn't reload the page properly or they were withdrawn.

Mary
2012-02-01, 01:00 PM
Cynical as that is... yeah, I'm of the same opinion. Noticed a few times now the dollar number actually go down. Not sure if it is because it just didn't reload the page properly or they were withdrawn.

Well, at least this is validated funds. So the people pledging have the money. I bet some will back out. If they are on a limited pledge, others will swoop in given enough time.

darkelf
2012-02-01, 01:05 PM
what? some gamers might be gaming the system? there's min-maxing going on? perish the thought.

Weimann
2012-02-01, 01:15 PM
Well, I suppose Rich won't start drawing the stories until the drive is done. So if they pledge just to raise the level so they'll get more free stuff, and then withdraw again, they'll sink the level and won't get their free stuff.

Porthos
2012-02-01, 01:37 PM

Not a chance that a significant number of people back out. Sure, there will be some drop of funds I'm sure (credit/debit cards having lack of funds being the number one reason). But not a significant amount.

Why? Mostly because people have no reason to **** with Rich's livelyhood. And, really, that is exactly what would happen if people started to play around with this.

This is REAL LIFE folks, not some video game. And believe it or not, most people aren't going to mess around with someone's livelyhood when they have no reason to do so.

jmucchiello
2012-02-01, 01:37 PM
Well, I suppose Rich won't start drawing the stories until the drive is done. So if they pledge just to raise the level so they'll get more free stuff, and then withdraw again, they'll sink the level and won't get their free stuff.
I'm pretty sure Rich could be working on the O'Chul story, at a minimum. I doubt $300,000 worth of pledges will pull out. (And the Julio Scoundrel PDF better be safe or I'll cry.)

bjornthedwarf
2012-02-01, 02:09 PM
Not a chance that a significant number of people back out. Sure, there will be some drop of funds I'm sure (credit/debit cards having lack of funds being the number one reason). But not a significant amount.

I would also expect that between Rich and Kickstarter, there are reviews of pledges to make sure nothing is particularly odd. Like say someone makes a $10,000 pledge but doesn't accept a pledge level. Or even a $1,000 pledge, but selects the $14 two magnet. I'm sure that KS has had to deal with some of this stuff in the almost 3 years it has been running, and ought to be watching for oddities and discrepancies as pledge drives run, or else it's their reputation on the line as well.

Side note, the drive got a brief mention in another comics blog:

http://www.comicsbeat.com/2012/02/01/kate-beaton-announces-shes-taking-some-time-off-from-her-webcomics/

I've had a google search saved on "Order of the Stick" to see if anymore articles are written about it. A nice high profile piece could drive a bunch of more people to check it out. I submitted a link to BoingBoing today about it. BB tends to like Kickstarter projects, and Doctorow is always interested in stories of authors/artists trying stuff like this. There's also a public page to submit tips (I did a private submission). I didn't want to do both though, so if someone else wants to drop it in the public submission pool, might be worth it:

http://submit.boingboing.net/

keldorn
2012-02-01, 02:56 PM
Now we've reached the 350K mark, the targets for the next 24 hours or so are

* 364,698 - match the 8th largest KS project
* 369,569 - match the 7th largest KS project
* 387,550 - DCF reprint

Somewhere in there is also the next mystery reward.

If Rich puts up t-shirts or something else to generate a feeding frenzy, then subsequent targets are.

* 400,000 Just because it's round
* 404,250 Seven times original goal.

CDP
2012-02-01, 02:58 PM
Now we've reached the 350K mark, the targets for the next 24 hours or so are

* 364,698 - match the 8th largest KS project
* 369,569 - match the 7th largest KS project
* 387,550 - DCF reprint

Somewhere in there is also the next mystery reward.

If Rich puts up t-shirts or something else to generate a feeding frenzy, then subsequent targets are.

* 400,000 Just because it's round
* 404,250 Seven times original goal.

Maybe we should start planning the 1000% party for when it hits $577,500...

Elder Tsofu
2012-02-01, 02:59 PM
Well, at least this is validated funds. So the people pledging have the money. I bet some will back out. If they are on a limited pledge, others will swoop in given enough time.

Nope. They aren't validated to more than 1$.

When you make a pledge with Kickstarter, Amazon Payments are the payment process and we contact your credit card's issuing bank to confirm that your credit card is a valid number and hasn't been reported lost or stolen. This is done with a $1.00 authorization. We don't actually proceed with the charge; this is simply one of the security measures we use to protect our customers.

Flame of Anor
2012-02-01, 03:00 PM
Maybe we should start planning the 1000% party for when it hits $577,500...

Although Durkon may wreck whatever plans ye be...plannin'.

CDP
2012-02-01, 03:04 PM
Although Durkon may wreck whatever plans ye be...plannin'.

Oh, pish. I'll just put him in charge of getting the beer. :smallwink::smalltongue:

Mary
2012-02-01, 03:09 PM

Ouch... Okay so they only need a valid card with a buck on it. I guess really it just increases the risk. Someone posted that KS waits 14 days before handing over the funds. I bet that is the riskiest period.

I still think most of the bids are legit...

Unisus
2012-02-01, 03:13 PM

Actually they are only validated to 1$ at the time the pledge was announced - as we have heard here in this thread, you can pledge for a project ending in a month with a credit card valid until tomorrow...

But what are the chances that this project will crash due to failing pledges?

Oh, and by the way - t-shirts would be nice, but please not this "...and all i got..." stuff - after all we get a lot more...
How about a t-shirt with Elan's merry "I'm participating!" - or maybe better "I participated!"?

WampaX
2012-02-01, 03:16 PM
Actually they are only validated to 1$ at the time the pledge was announced - as we have heard here in this thread, you can pledge for a project ending in a month with a credit card valid until tomorrow...

1/20 . . .
Alot less if you use a fumble confirm model, but you will still miss the target.

Porthos

Honestly?

Zero.

CDP

I'd say pretty low.

I have no doubts that there are 5000+ deadbeats in the world who would happily default on their pledges, but the odds that they all decided to converge on this pledge drive and no legitimate backers showed up are astronomical.

Edit: Elan "I Participated!" T-shirts? Hmmm.... Maybe something to add to every pledge of $50 or more?

Tanuki Tales
2012-02-01, 03:26 PM
I'd glad to see ANY T-shirts or other apparel added.

Mary
2012-02-01, 03:29 PM
The I've participated idea is great. Or even maybe the last graph? I know on the comment thread the was below. Maybe just strike the 'and' and after?

Xavier Perez about 1 hour ago
The idea for a shirt that says "I Kickstarted a sexy shoeless god of war and all I got was this lousy T-Shirt" I read in the update comments is incredibly tempting.

Chess435
2012-02-01, 04:28 PM
Looks like we just hit $355k. Great job everyone! :smallcool:

Hamiltonz
2012-02-01, 05:04 PM
Elan "I Participated!" T-shirts? Hmmm.... Maybe something to add to every pledge of $50 or more?

We do get the magnet, but only people in the know would get that it marks someone as a participant. Also, how do you wear a fridge magnet?

I'd be willing to pay extra for a t-shirt (or a button) like we are doing for extra books.

Elder Tsofu
2012-02-01, 05:07 PM
We do get the magnet, but only people in the know would get that it marks someone as a participant. Also, how do you wear a fridge magnet?

I'd be willing to pay extra for a t-shirt (or a button) like we are doing for extra books.

Easy, a magnet on the outside and magnet on the inside of your shirt/pocket.

Manga Maniac
2012-02-01, 05:09 PM
No, what you should really do is become a cyborg.

Then you can shoot lazers out of your eyes.

SweetBB
2012-02-01, 05:15 PM

Easy, a magnet on the outside and magnet on the inside of your shirt/pocket.

Well, that would work, but personally, I would rather have a t-shirt!

Paine
2012-02-01, 05:22 PM
I don't mean to be miserly on a donation website, but why is the THE WHOLE STORY reward set at $222 when one can theoretically purchase those seven books from Ookoodook for ~$170 once they're back in print? That's a significant difference. Are the Ook prices likely to change? Or does Rich just like alliteration? Is it still alliteration when applied to numbers?

I understand that it's not likely to change since so many people have already pledged at that level, but I thought I'd ask. If I do someday want to own all the books, does everyone recommend grabbing the pledge reward now even at a premium?

Savannah
2012-02-01, 05:29 PM
Well, I presume that the base Ookoodook price does not include shipping, and this includes US shipping (and part of further distant shipping). Furthermore, you're not simply buying a book, you're helping fun the printing of more books beyond the one you bought, so that other people can buy one later. That being said, if you don't want to pay the extra to help out, just wait until the books are back in print and buy them then (although you won't get all the pdfs, and it looks like Snips and Snails will be pulled once this drive is over, so this may be your last chance to get it).

Procyonpi
2012-02-01, 05:32 PM
I don't mean to be miserly on a donation website, but why is the THE WHOLE STORY reward set at $222 when one can theoretically purchase those seven books from Ookoodook for ~$170 once they're back in print? That's a significant difference. Are the Ook prices likely to change? Or does Rich just like alliteration? Is it still alliteration when applied to numbers?

I understand that it's not likely to change since so many people have already pledged at that level, but I thought I'd ask. If I do someday want to own all the books, does everyone recommend grabbing the pledge reward now even at a premium?

yeah, you're paying extra for the books on kickstarter because you're also supporting bring the books back into print.

Dragon Star
2012-02-01, 05:34 PM
Remember you're also getting 7 PDFs, totaling over 80 pages long (or something).

factotum
2012-02-01, 05:35 PM
I can imagine a couple of reasons for that. Firstly, Kickstarter and Amazon both take a cut of the money donated, so not all of that $222 ends up going to Rich--I think only a little over $200 does. Secondly, the whole point of this drive is to get enough money to reprint the books and allow people *other than the people pledging* to get a chance to buy them, so you need extra to cover those costs.

In any case, if you don't feel like pledging, just buy the books in the normal way...nobody's forcing you to participate.

Autopsibiofeeder
2012-02-01, 05:37 PM
Aye, Paine, that is the whole point of this thing. You're calling this a donation website. While it is technically something else, I think, your own term kind of implies that you are putting in something 'extra'. To support and further the OoTS empire, or just because you really appreciate what Mr. Burlew has done for us over the past years. Also, as others said, you get some extra goodies and perhaps the last chance to grab SS&DT.

SweetBB
2012-02-01, 05:37 PM

Magnet and 7 PDF stories not available anywhere else. Shipping included (if you are in the U.S.), supporting Rich, and having the joy of participating in this wacky wild wonderful event! :biggrin:

WOOT! New Update just in! By the time we reach $387,550 (only 30K to go!) if you order 1 or more book, add in Wallpapers, Stickers and OOTS hit point pad! This just gets better and better!

Seraphem
2012-02-01, 05:55 PM
...my tax refund has been delayed? NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! pleasepleaseplaeseplaeaseplease let it get here in time to contribute.

Chess435
2012-02-01, 05:57 PM
Woohoo, new update! Just in time for page 50, too! :smalltongue:

The Succubus
2012-02-01, 06:00 PM

Because, without the donation drive, they won't be back in print.

aapje
2012-02-01, 06:08 PM
SSaDT will not be reprinted:

Reprinting Snips, Snails, and Dragon Tales is not on the table, no matter how high this goes. I stated that I wouldn't do that, so I won't. It's an issue of trust. A lot of people suffered through very long delays in getting that book because I told them that if they didn't pre-order it, I couldn't guarantee that they would get a copy. To reprint it now would be a slap in the face to the fans that were willing to support me back then. That said, my last estimate is that we have plenty of copies left for this pledge drive, and that we would not run out until sometime after it.

MoonCat
2012-02-01, 06:10 PM
Well, what he says goes, but speaking as one of the long waiters though, I wouldn't grudge anyone else SSaDT because of it. Oh well. :smallfrown:

Serranex
2012-02-01, 06:11 PM
If you want retail price for the 6 story books (no SSaDT), use the $94 pledge and add 2 compilations and 1 prequel.

Retail would be: $150
Pledge would be: $170

For me, shipping to Canada from the Ookodook website is $39. For the Pledge, I add $22. Retail: $189 Pledge: $192

For shipping in the States, it's a bit more of a difference. Oookodook costs $12 for a medium box, and it's included in the pledge, so Retail: $162, Pledge: $170.

The major difference for retail is if you want a copy of SSaDT, you just pay the extra $22 and put it with the rest. For pledging, you would have to go to the $222 level, which is quite a ways above retail price for this one book.

Porthos
2012-02-01, 06:14 PM
For people who haven't checked the update (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/599092525/the-order-of-the-stick-reprint-drive/posts/169162):

I'm still waiting to hear back from the vendor on the prize that I'm most excited about, which means that I was left trying to figure out what I would put as a midpoint prize between the reprint of Start of Darkness and that of Dungeon Crawlin' Fools. I had three fun ideas, but none of them really were quite strong enough on their own to serve as the reward at that level. So I did what anyone in my situation would do: I decided to give you all three.

Mini-Prize #1: Wallpapers for All! ($362,250): I'll create a set of (at least) 10 high-resolution OOTS wallpapers, with sizes for old monitors, current monitors, tablets, and even smartphones. These will be available for download by everyone once they're finished—not even just those who pledge! That's my way of thanking all the fans who may be not be able to help out in monetary ways but are spreading the word and keeping it alive.
Mini-Prize #2: The Order of the Stickers! ($375,000): Everyone who is getting a reward of one or more books (or the art print, or any future rewards that might come up that get mailed in a full-size envelope or box) will get a 10" x 3" sheet of 8 OOTS stickers, featuring one each of the main characters plus Xykon and Redcloak (design to be revealed when we reach that line). Because everyone loves stickers. Yes, even you. Come on. You do.
Mini-Prize #3 : OOTS Hit Point Pad! ($387,550): If we reach the amount needed to reprint Dungeon Crawlin' Fools, then everyone getting one or more books (or the art print, etc.) will also get a custom-printed 4" x 5" OOTS-themed notepad, perfect for keeping track of your hit points or healing surges or whatever during a tabletop roleplaying game. (If you don't play those, it also works for writing down phone numbers and other boring stuff.) Like the stickers, I'll post the design when we reach that goal.

I don't care what Rich says about this, I think this is pretty darn impressive, myself. :smallcool:

Renegade Paladin
2012-02-01, 06:14 PM
I have to wonder if anyone's actually surprised by how well this has done. I mean, people have been begging Mr. Burlew to let them give him their money for years. Occasionally literally and in public. :smallamused: It stands to reason that once the opportunity arose, they actually would.

Personally, I've been quite prepared to just overpay with a ridiculously large bill at Gen Con and "forget" my change, but then GitP started sharing a booth with Ape Games, and I suddenly couldn't be sure where it would end up.

WampaX
2012-02-01, 06:17 PM
This is WampaX.
Last survivor of the Rich Baker incident.
Signing off.

Should be back after a brief hypersleep
and new thread creation. :smallwink:

Thagorn
2012-02-01, 06:23 PM

Well let's actually look at the numbers:

Whole set costs: $222
Kickstarter takes 5% off the top: $210.9
Amazon payments takes 2.9% (US credit card) or 3.9% (International) off the top (call that 3% average): $204.24
Shipping - I think Rich said USPS flat rate box? (assume medium size box) is $11.35 (domestic) and international you pay seperately for: $192.89
Pledge drive, magnet and PDFs - $10: $182.89

So you are actually paying $182.89 for the whole set of books from this drive.

Via Ookoodook
SSDT: 21.95 - 21.95
DStP: 29.95 - 51.9
SoD: 16.95 - 68.85
OtOoPCs: 13.95 - 82.8
DCF: 24.95 - 107.75
WaXP: 32.95 - 140.7
NCftPD: 29.95 - 170.65

which means you are donating $12 towards the cause of reprinting books you want to buy. Doesn't seem like a bad deal to me. If you count the $10 as a donation as well then you are "donating" $22 towards the cause of reprinting the books, plus you are getting 7 pdf stories, plus a magnet, plus whatever else happens.

Kobold-Bard
2012-02-01, 06:25 PM
That spot between the 28th & 29th of January where we thought it was levelling out just looks awkward & out of place now.

Gift Jeraff
2012-02-01, 06:32 PM
I'm sure I'm not the only one who wants the wallpapers the most. :smalltongue: I'm hoping for something similar to the cast poster, but with the foreground characters fighting each other.

ArtosSwiftblade
2012-02-01, 06:32 PM
SSaDT will not be reprinted:

Well that ends the mass speculation on *that* front, at least.
Though the next big reward 'that I think you will like' can now be speculated on with abandon.

Andious
2012-02-01, 06:40 PM
I see Mr. Burlew has given up the dream of keeping on top of e-mails today. Don't feel bad sir, you were up against a cruel and unfair challenge, and just the fact you still plan on trying to answer them later instead of leaving a weight on the delete key for three minutes is very impressive.

Maybe he might want to consider adding this as a reward:

Pledge $15 or more
Receive a personal response to your Kickstarter question from Rich Burlew (may or may not be in oracle form).
Limited Reward (127 of 500 remaining)

Hey, hey, I was kidding, he's not going to add that, why the heck have so many been taken already?

More likely (well, no, not more likely, just less ridiculous) would be something like:

Pledge $51 or more
Receive a personal thank you (text only, no art) from a random character in the OotS comic.
Limited Reward (499 of 500 remaining)

... yeah that was me, I took one, sorry, I'll put it back.

(huh, I didn't notice this until right before posting: I have the prices being the numbers swapped... I was just picking realistic sounding prices that weren't already on the list...)

turkishproverb
2012-02-01, 06:44 PM
Well, what he says goes, but speaking as one of the long waiters though, I wouldn't grudge anyone else SSaDT because of it. Oh well. :smallfrown:

Same here, but it's rich's decision and I respect it and understand the logic behind it.

MoonCat
2012-02-01, 06:45 PM
Same here, but it's rich's decision and I respect it and understand the logic behind it.

Yup.

So is it a mod or the Giant himself who'l lmake the next thread?

ArtosSwiftblade
2012-02-01, 06:46 PM
Andious

I really like the 'personalised thank-you' idea; written in the same kind of style as the Prologues to the printed volumes?

The thought of Xykon thanking me for continuing to fund his destruction 'of...oh... that guy...with the sword...whoever he is... ' would be a brilliant end to the pledge.

I fully recommend you suggest this one to Rich as a Mystery Prize or something; he could write like 10 (say 3-4 sentences each), and we'd get a random one...

Autopsibiofeeder
2012-02-01, 06:46 PM
Well let's actually look at the numbers:

Whole set costs: $222
Kickstarter takes 5% off the top: $210.9
Amazon payments takes 2.9% (US credit card) or 3.9% (International) off the top (call that 3% average): $204.24
Shipping - I think Rich said USPS flat rate box? (assume medium size box) is $11.35 (domestic) and international you pay seperately for: $192.89
Pledge drive, magnet and PDFs - $10: $182.89

So you are actually paying $182.89 for the whole set of books from this drive.

Via Ookoodook
SSDT: 21.95 - 21.95
DStP: 29.95 - 51.9
SoD: 16.95 - 68.85
OtOoPCs: 13.95 - 82.8
DCF: 24.95 - 107.75
WaXP: 32.95 - 140.7
NCftPD: 29.95 - 170.65

which means you are donating $12 towards the cause of reprinting books you want to buy. Doesn't seem like a bad deal to me. If you count the $10 as a donation as well then you are "donating" $22 towards the cause of reprinting the books, plus you are getting 7 pdf stories, plus a magnet, plus whatever else happens.

And 'whatever else' just happened: wallpapers, stickers and a notebook seem to be well within reach if you go for this package. I was actually quite amazed upon reading the new rewards. I live in Europe and went for the 222 (+37) 'all of them' reward and was happy enough to recieve what you just described. Seriously, Mr. Burlew, stop it now. I am getting more than enough value for my money. I was happy to send some your way, but now I am almost starting to feel as if I am taking more than I am giving.

jmucchiello
2012-02-01, 06:55 PM
Well, what he says goes, but speaking as one of the long waiters though, I wouldn't grudge anyone else SSaDT because of it. Oh well. :smallfrown:Same here, but it's rich's decision and I respect it and understand the logic behind it.
Me too. I never really understood the logic of making those materials limited edition, especially now that there will be a second Julio Scoundrel story.

Tanuki Tales
2012-02-01, 06:56 PM
I really hope Rich adds T-shirts and apparel to the rewards, especially as potential add-ons.

I want to go for the complete run and then add on extra stuff so I break over 250 and thus get the poster for free. :smallbiggrin:

ArtosSwiftblade
2012-02-01, 06:58 PM
Indeed, Troll; some merchandise would likely push my pledge into free poster territory too!

Noir0
2012-02-01, 07:08 PM
I can't believe myself.. I just spend 259 dollars (£170ish)on stick figure comics...

Why did you have to make me fall in love with your creation Mr Burlew to spend so much?

Nah, just kidding. It's painful on the wallet but i am so looking forward.

I've always wanted to buy your books but I'm a completionist nazi, i came late to the book buying party so never had a chance to get any of the earlier books.

Looking forward to all those extra prizes too. 19 days to go? No way are we not reaching those wall papers and notebooks.

Crap.. i just bought a new car too.

Beans and toast for me!

MoonCat
2012-02-01, 07:10 PM
Curses. I just upgraded my pledge another 10 dollars, and am planning to add another 5 as soon as I can get my hands on it.

Why am I doing this? I don't have this much spare cash!

Aw crap, I don't care. THIS IS SO AMAZING I WANNA FUND MORE /ZOMBIE

Xapi
2012-02-01, 07:16 PM
As mentioned above, just getting to reprinting Paladin Blues is going to take around $150,000...and there's still Don't Split the Party to reprint after that! If all sense and reason is abandoned and we somehow raise the I-don't-know-like-$200,000 to reprint even that book, then the remainder will probably be saved for the next new OOTS book, or maybe to stock up on Start of Darkness (which is still available (http://www.ookoodook.com/store/StartOfDarkness.shtml), but is a strong seller).

All sense and reason has been abandoned 150k ago!

Savannah
2012-02-01, 07:20 PM
Aww, dang, when I saw stickers I was hoping for a couple of sheets of heads (like the smilies). I would totally have taken part of them in to use on the grade reports for the class I TA (we put stickers on the reports for the people with As) and seen who knew what they were!