PDA

View Full Version : Bullywugs?

Uhtred
2012-01-22, 02:51 PM
So I was asked recently to DM a long-term campaign for my friends and, in the writing of this campaign, decided it would be kinda fun if in the very beginning they wandered into a tavern full of a weak monster (I was thinking Goblins to start, something cliche like that) pissed those monsters off, got into a terrible brawl, ended up beating them off and making enemies of that entire race of monster, so that every few sessions they'd get ambushed by these guys who would never really get more powerful but who THOUGHT that their continuous defeat was pure luck. Always luck. A la the Box Ghost from Danny Phantom or the Toilenator from Codename: Kids Next Door, an underpowered "Nemesis" that's confused as to why the heroes always kick their butt.
Enter the Bullywug.
While I was browsing minis by creature type, I stumbled upon them. They're toad-man looking guys, they were cheap and there were a ton of them. I immediately thought that frog people would be ASTOUNDINGLY FUN as that underpowered nemesis that just keeps coming back with absurd ambushes and "Magic" items and schemes that never work out the way they should. Bought a dozen of these guys to fill the first tavern with, they're on the way.
Now I'm not sure where to find them.
Are they a 3.5 monster? Did I just load up on a monster that hasn't been in print since 3 or that's specific to 4?

Yora
2012-01-22, 03:01 PM
It's Monsters of Faerūn, but being low CR humanoids, there should be barely any need for adjustments to 3.5e.

Just checked it, they work out of the box.

Unusual Muse
2012-01-22, 03:11 PM
They're in the Player's Guide To Faerun Web Enhancement.

Sounds like fun! :smallsmile:

Yora
2012-01-22, 03:18 PM
There's just the changes they applied for 3.5e, and those aren't even because of any changes in rules.

ShneekeyTheLost
2012-01-22, 11:58 PM
Give 'em levels in Monk and call 'em Battletoads... no one'll know the difference

Coidzor
2012-01-23, 12:18 AM
Give 'em levels in Monk and call 'em Battletoads... no one'll know the difference

Make sure to give 'em enough levels in Kensai to use Sizing on their natural weapons/unarmed strike. Or allow them to put sizing on necklaces of natural attacks.