PDA

View Full Version : 3 builds help

astrerouge
2012-01-22, 02:54 PM
Hi everybody.
In my game,my character will soon die of old age and I need a replacement for him.The Dm don't want us to use spellcaster because in that universe,only dragons are known to wield magic(my kobold druid I ask for help is also out because of this).It doesn't bother me since I want to try some exotic classes(ToB,MoI,etc).I need to have at least an idea of a character for each region in which I could die.Presently i'm in elf territory and I was thinking about swordsage/warrior(generic class).The next zone is barbarian land and I was thinking of a totemist/??? that act as a shaman,after that is oriental land and was thinking crusader/??? acting as a samourai.
We play gestalt and I would start at level 8-9 and we do not optimize much,money is rare and magic is too so could you please help me with ideas,both fluff and crunch for my characters?

STsinderman
2012-01-22, 04:07 PM
One of my favourite characters i played was a Monk/Ninja with vop and worked up to getting the saint template. There are various feats that go well with this build. It is both effective in combat and interesting to play. Plus this may well lead easily from your oriental area.

I played a Monk of the Silent Shadow order, all things considered it is very easy for you to do non lethal damage and be more than adequate at disarming your opponent.

astrerouge
2012-01-22, 04:42 PM
Wellfor VOP monk/ninja,well a player is already doing that and I'm not really good with being a pure goodbut that could be an idea
Thanks.

Metahuman1
2012-01-22, 07:05 PM
Elf Lands

Bard with Snowflake Wardance, Song of the Heart, Melodic Casting, Lingering Song, Dragon Fire Inspiration. There's a First level Bard Spell that gives you a bonus on Inspire Courage. It's in Spell Compendium. Learn it.

There's a Magic Item in the Magic Item Compendium that gives you another +1 3/day. Get 2 of them.

You can now be an elf Bard who is also an excellent swordsman and fairs reasonably well in Melee. Add Warblade and Song of the White raven opposite this on the Gestalt help it get going better.

The Totemist can be pretty much Anything. I like Dragonfire Adept, Binder, Shadow Adept, or Incarnate for this myself. Crusaider does have some options however, as does Warblade or Swordsage. How does the Dm feel about Psionics? It could give you some flavorful options using Ardent or Soulknife.

Samurai

Warblade and use schools to taste on one side. The Items I listed for the Totemest work well here as well, as would Factotum. Take the Item Familiar Feat and make your Daisho out of Riverine as Insurance against sunder monkey builds.

Yes the top one might sound optimized but I promise it's not.

Hiro Protagonest
2012-01-22, 07:10 PM
Yes the top one might sound optimized but I promise it's not.

Oh, it's definitely optimized. You mean cheesy, overpowered, or broken.

And I don't think elves qualify for DFI, unless you take dragonborn or something.

Curious
2012-01-22, 07:13 PM
Well, if only Dragons can use magic in this universe, try a Dragonwrought Kobold. That makes you a true dragon. Then go for sorceror.

Metahuman1
2012-01-22, 07:17 PM
Obviously. Meaning your Eating an LA right there.

And I don't see Slippers of Battle Dancing + TWF feat line + Words of Creation + Crystalline Echo Blade in there.

At 8th lvl your dealing 1d8+ Weapon Enhancements + Str mod + 5d6 per hit. Add a +5 too that if he stacks Dragonfire Inspiration and Inspire courage. 8th lvl now. If he adds Maneuvers, that could still get fairly powerful. But keep in mind he's also giving up action economy here to get the songs online unless he goes well out of his way to minimize use of Song of the White Raven or doesn't take it. Strength's not a primary stat for him either, and in a fairly low magic game, if he can scrape the two magic items to help is bardic music I doubt he'll scrape a meaningful magic weapon as well, so that needs to be accounted for.

Also mind that unless he specifically goes for something like sound or force for Dragonfire Inspiration, that bonus damage is gonna be a lot less powerful as he encounters foes with resistance and Immunity.

Hiro Protagonest
2012-01-22, 07:19 PM
Obviously. Meaning your Eating an LA right there.

Dragonborn is LA 0.

I guess you could fluff it as an elf, using the mind aspect to get the elven senses.

Metahuman1
2012-01-22, 07:22 PM
Dragonborn is LA 0.

I guess you could fluff it as an elf, using the mind aspect to get the elven senses.

You could, most DM's won't. Hence your more then likely taking the draconic creature template instead and losing a level of advancement on one side or the other.

gorfnab
2012-01-23, 12:11 AM
Elf Land:
Scout 4/ Barbarian 1 (CC, Lion Totem)/ Revenant Blade 5/ Scout 10 // Warblade 10/ Eternal Blade 10 - if Eberron is available
Ranger 2/ Swashbuckler 3/ Dervish 10/ Tempest 5 // Scout 20 - non campaign specific meat grinder
Cobra Strike (UA) Deceptive Strike (PHBII) Monk/ Swashbuckler 3/ Thief Acrobat 5/ Duelist 10 // Warblade 20 - if Forgotten Realms is available. Fight defensively for insane AC (see spoiler for feat progression)

Human
1. Camendine Monk, Combat Expertise, B: Dodge
2. B: Mobility
3. EWP Broadblade Shortword (pre-errata version) B: Weapon Finesse
5. B: Combat Reflexes
6. Deadly Defense
9. Einhander, B: Ironheart Aura
12. Storm Guard Warrior
13. B: Improved Initiative
15. Robilar's Gambit
17. B: Blindfight or Iron Will
18. Karmic Strike, Improved Combat Expertise, or Snap Kick
19. B: Deflect Arrows
If you can't get the pre-errata Broadblade Shortsword than take the feat Versatile Unarmed Strike at 3rd level instead. If you do this take Snap Kick at 18th level.

Barbarian Land:
Totemist// Barbarian - Grab the Lion Totem (CC) for Pounce. Rip things to shreds with natural attacks.

Oriental Land:
Crusader// Dragon Shaman - Healing, party buffing, tank.
OA Samurai // Swordsage - Wuxia style Samurai Jack type character

Greenish
2012-01-23, 10:52 AM
And I don't think elves qualify for DFI, unless you take dragonborn or something."Or something" would be taking the dragonblooded elf subrace.

Because core races have subraces for anything.