PDA

View Full Version : Rune Caster PrC

Kenneth
2012-01-22, 05:53 PM
Rune Caster
Requirement:
Skills: Spellcraft 8 ranks, Craft (rune carving) 8 ranks.
Race: Dwarf or Half-Dwarf
Spells: No ability to cast arcane spells outside of being a Rune Caster

{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special |1st|2nd|3rd|4th|5th|6th|7th|8th|9th

1st|+0|+0|+0|+2|Scribe Scroll, Cantrips|2|—|—|—|—|—|—|—|—

2nd|+1|+0|+0|+3|Sigil Mastery|3|—|—|—|—|—|—|—|—

3rd|+1|+1|+1|+3||3|1|—|—|—|—|—|—|—

4th|+2|+1|+1|+4||3|2|1|—|—|—|—|—|—

5th|+2|+1|+1|+4|Explosive Glyph|4|3|2|1|—|—|—|—|—

6th|+3|+2|+2|+5||4|3|3|2|1|—|—|—|—

7th|+3|+2|+2|+5||4|3|3|3|2|1|—|—|—

8th|+4|+2|+2|+6|Runescribe|5|4|3|3|2|1|1|—|—

9th|+4|+3|+3|+6||5|4|4|3|3|3|2|1|—

10th|+5|+3|+3|+7||5|5|4|4|4|3|3|2|1

[/table]
Alignment: Any
Hit Die: 1d4

Class Skills:
The Rune Caster’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are
Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Knowledge (arcana), (Int), Knowledge (religion) (Int), Profession (Wis), and Spellcraft (Int)
Skill Points at Each Level: 2 + Int modifier

Spells:
A Rune Caster casts arcane spells which are drawn from the Rune Caster spell list. A Rune Caster must choose and prepare spells ahead of time (see below).

To learn, prepare, or cast a spell, the Rune Caster must have an Intelligence score equal to at least 10 + the spell level. The Difficulty Class for a saving throw against a Rune Caster’s spell is 10 + the spell level + the Rune Caster’s Intelligence modifier.

Like other spellcasters, a Rune Caster can cast only a certain number of spells of each spell level per day. His base daily spell allotment is given on the above table. In addition, a Rune Caster receives bonus spells per day if the Rune Caster has a high Intelligence score.

Unlike a bard or sorcerer, a Rune Caster may know any number of spells, up to every spell from the Rune Caster's Spell List. The Rune Caster must choose and prepare spells ahead of time by getting a good night’s sleep and spending 1 hour studying the spellbook. While studying, the Rune Caster decides which spells to prepare

A Rune Caster' spells never have a verbal component, and are never able to be used with the Still Spell Feat.

Spell List:
1st: Alarm, Erase, Hold Portal, Protection from Evil/Chaos/Law/Good, Shield, Shield Bearer

2nd: Alarm; Greater, Arcane Lock, Create Magic Tattoo, Knock, Magic Weapon, Portal Alarm

3rd: Explosive Runes, Diamond Steel, Glyph of Warding, Protection from Energy, Secret Page, Sepia Snake Sigil

4th: Fire Trap, Greater Magic Weapon, Lesser globe of Invulnerability, Raindbow Pattern, Stoneskin

5th: Animate Dead, Avoidance, Mage's Private Sanctum, Spell Matrix; lesser, Symbol of Pain, Symbol of Fear

6th: Ensnarement, Globe of invulnerability, Guards and Wards, Seal Portal, Symbol of Persuasion, Symbol of Weakness, Transcribe Symbol

7th: Fear Ward, Mordenkainen's Magnificent Mansion, Phase Door, Sequester, Spell Matrix, Symbol of Stunning, Vanish

8th: Binding, Maze, Scillitating Pattern, Symbol of Insanity, Symbol of Death,Trap The Soul

9th: Gate, Shapechange, Spell Matrix; Greater

Class Abilities:

Scribe Scroll: A Rune Caster gains this as a bonus feat at 1st level.

Cantrips: A Rune Caster can cast any of the Following 0-level spells at will, though only one at a time and doing so takes a full round. Detect Magic, Arcane Mark, Read Magic, Mending, Open/Close, Resistance, Detect Poison, Guidance, and Know Direction,

Sigil Mastery: {Ex} at 2nd level a Rune Caster develops power over written magic. As a standard action, a Rune Caster may make a craft: runecarving check vs. the DC of the spell to temporarily suppress any magic that is either a symbol, written, glyphed, or rune. The Rune Caster must be within 5 ft of the magic succeeding on a craft check supresses the magic for 1d4 rounds plus 1 round per Rune Caster Level. The Rune Caster may not take 10 or 20 on this check. At 4th level this ability allows the Rune Caster to apply a meta-magic feat the Rune Caster knows to a symbol, written, glyphed, or rune cast or created by someone else, doing so requires a full round and a successful Craft: runecarving check at DC 15+ level of the spell or level equivelnt fo the symbol, glyph, or rune.

Explosive Glyph: {Su} At 5th level a Rune Caster gains the ability to create a number of runes equal to Rune Caster level. These runes float randomly around the Rune Caster and can be sent forth and upon a successful range rouch attack explode for 1d6 points of force damage per Rune Caster level in a 5 foot radius.

Runescribe: {Ex} A Rune Caster find that his own runes are harder to get rid of. the DC to dispell, remove, or trasncribe his runes are increased by +5, unless the caster is also a Rune Caster of the same or higher level.

I never liked the whole any race can be any calss that 3rd ed did so went with the older versions of D&D and race/class combinations though in a more lenient way. Still Dwarves and half-dwraves are not able to cast arcane spells outside of this prestige class. I didn't want to create a mini-wizard with this particular PrC and so I kept to spells that i felt 'stuck' to teh dwarven ability to do cool things with runes. The spell list is intended to be short and have a narrow focus. but i am willing to admit that I might have missed a couple rune'esque spells out there in the D&D universe.

Noctis Vigil
2012-01-22, 06:14 PM
What's with the strange fluctuation in spells per day at levels 7 and 8?

Also, I'm not really feeling the fluff in anything other than name. It gets a small spell list of vaguely rune-like spells, but the spell list is small enough that it should probably get some other class abilities as well. Also, you're taking 10 ranks in Spellcraft as a cross-class skill. If you don't do it that way, then the other option is to start as Cleric or Druid and take the skills that way, but that loses you 10 caster levels, and I don't personally feel this class is worth dropping 10 levels of whatever caster class I had already.

You require 10 ranks in a craft skill, but never actually need the craft skill in the class. Why make that a prerequisite, just fluff? Give him an ability to do something with the skill.

All in all, it's a good start, but it feels really empty with 9 dead levels and such a small spell list.

bobthe6th
2012-01-22, 06:24 PM
runescribe (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=210452)
for refrance. The casting mechanic did sink the fluff into the class better.

NeoSeraphi
2012-01-22, 07:30 PM
...How are you supposed to get into the class? Are you supposed to be a cleric or a druid?

Seriously, "No arcane spells, but you need 10 ranks in a spellcaster-only class skill". That's harsh. I would drop it down to 5 ranks in Spellcraft, so any class can get in by 7th.

Kenneth
2012-01-22, 07:42 PM
Will do neoseraphi, you teh single best critique-er on teh GiTP.:)

and I'll add in some other rune based special abilities..

and again i need to point out that I do not and never will bleive that as long as any class is gettign spells they have dead levels. They are getting spells and no matter how narrowly focused aone's spell list might be its still a fregging spell so its automacitaly better than anything that non spell casters get...

its the same reaosn why I do not give classes that have 6th elvle spells and aove capstone abilities. THEY GET SPELLS!!!

and teh gap in spell progression is a mistake. will correct it.

NeoSeraphi
2012-01-22, 07:48 PM
You're right. Any level where you get spells cannot truly be considered a "dead level". However, that is no reason to deprive a perfectly awesome rune crafting class of flavorful rune-like class features. :smallbiggrin:

Noctis Vigil
2012-01-23, 12:48 PM
I think level 8's spells still have an issue. Shouldn't it be three 5th level spells and two 6th level spells?

I actually didn't suggest lowering the Spellcraft for the simple reason that requiring 10 points kept you away from 9th level spells til level 17 as normal. This isn't an issue if you don't mind a player getting Gate once a day at level 15.

Spellcrafting: You could simplify this up a lot if you say he uses a spellbook and prepares spells like a Wizard. Also, suggestions for spells to put on the list: dispel magic, greater dispel magic, and mage's disjunction.

Sigil Mastery: looks good, a worthwhile ability, not overpowered. You have a couple of spelling errors, though. I think you want a period after "The Rune Caster must be within 5 feet of the magic". You also misspelled "equivalent" right near the end. One question: is the DC to add metamagic equal to 15+spell level or 15+spell level after applying the metamagic?

Explosive Glyph: This made me laugh evilly. I like. Couple of things need clarifying though. What sort of action is it to create a rune? What is the range on the attack, and what action is the attack taking up? Also, force damage is usually done in d4s (not really an issue, just pointing it out). Finally, you misspelled "touch" as "rouch".

Runescribe: Nice, that gives some good boost to his symbol of X spells (and some of his other fun spells like explosive runes). Question: does this apply to spells he's modified through Sigil Mastery?

All in all, it looks pretty good. I hope the PEACH helps.

NeoSeraphi
2012-01-23, 02:49 PM
You didn't fix the issue with Spellcraft. And I didn't think you should lower the Craft ranks either. Noctis is right, the Craft should stay at 10, but the Spellcraft should be 5, because otherwise the only core classes who can qualify at level 7 are the cleric and the druid, and neither would take this class as they would lose all their divine casting progression. The prerequisites should be Spellcraft 5 ranks, Craft 10 ranks. As it is now, if I was a dwarf fighter who wanted to be a rune caster, I would have to wait until 13th level to get in (because of the cross-class Spellcraft requirement).

Sigil Mastery: Very nice ability, but I would suggest just making the metamagic ability its own feature. Improved Sigil Mastery or somesuch, and write it in on the table at 4th.

Explosive Glyph: Also really cool. I would like to reiterate all the problems that Noctis pointed out, and add, "What happens if you miss with the touch attack?" That's the problem with splash weapons. If you miss, then it has to hit the ground somewhere, and when it does, it explodes.

Runescribe: This is also a useful, flavorful ability. If I had to suggest something, I would say make it half your class level instead of just +5. It's still +4 when you get the ability, and it still caps off at +5, but the delay of that last +1 DC just makes the 10th level all the nicer, like a sort of mini-capstone.