PDA

View Full Version : Gypsy Harrower (Tarot Cards) [PF]

ExemplarofAvg
2012-01-22, 11:48 PM
So I'm at a point where the PC's in my one campaign are in need of a new NPC. I'm leaning towards a Harrower because I like the card based magics (found in: Just about everything ever personal favourite examples being Basil Hawkins from One Piece and Cana Alberona from Fairy Tail) and I wanted to insert a character obsessed with Fate/Destiny.

So I'm dead set on using Harrower, no matter how bad it may be (I'm changing the Saves to what they're supposed to be), I'm set on using it. That being said the approach into Harrower is what I'm wondering. Should the entrance be Divine or Arcane, it's fully open to either. I liked the idea of a Bardic Harrower but the late entry was a serious put off, even for an NPC. So I'm looking at either Cleric (Knowledge or Fate) or a Wizard (Divination) Feats being the Harrowed Feat and the Fortune Teller Feat because although I'm not going to be tracking the material components a +1 to caster level (even if only for divination) sounds very nice.

Cleric Pros:
Some Armor, Better Hp, better Bab.

Cons: ?

Wizard Pros:
Heavy Divination Focus,

Cons: Slightly Lower Hp, Lower Bab, No Armor.

Has any played an NPC or a PC of this before?

Bhaakon
2012-01-23, 12:44 AM
The Harrower comes on the chassis of the full arcane caster, and all its abilities are designed to enhance casting, so in that respect it's going to mesh best with wizard, witches, and sorcerers who have no aspersions to melee w/o relying entirely on their spells anyway. The low HD and BAB progression is going to hamper a cleric who likes to mix it up in combat somewhat, though not critically (especially at mid-to-high levels where they'd be leaning more and more heavily on they're spellcasting anyway). I'd be partial to the witch myself.

A bard, though, is going to really be hurting, because it's just never going to be a good enough spellcaster to justify abandoning its BAB, skill points, and performance progression. Though I agree the fluff works well, and would consider it for an NPC who wasn't expected to contribute in battle (for or against the PCs).

deuxhero
2012-01-23, 12:50 AM
So I'm at a point where the PC's in my one campaign are in need of a new NPC. I'm leaning towards a Harrower because I like the card based magics (found in: Just about everything ever personal favourite examples being Basil Hawkins from One Piece and Cana Alberona from Fairy Tail)

Baten Kaitos and Lost Kingdoms are, once again, ignored.

What about Witch or Oracle? Both fit better thematicly. The Witch's best hexs are obtained early (not sure if the "half witches level"=half witch level or half character). Oracle loses mysteries, HD, BAB and skills, which is a harder hit, so Witch would be better mechanically.

ExemplarofAvg
2012-01-23, 06:25 AM
Baten Kaitos and Lost Kingdoms are, once again, ignored.

What about Witch or Oracle? Both fit better thematicly. The Witch's best hexs are obtained early (not sure if the "half witches level"=half witch level or half character). Oracle loses mysteries, HD, BAB and skills, which is a harder hit, so Witch would be better mechanically.

They enter at 6th level which is nice, but I didn't know how optimal they'd be.
And as far as them being ignored, I wanted specific people who use the cards. I don't know those beyond name.

deuxhero
2012-01-23, 07:35 PM
Wizard v Witch is really a contest of who's spells (and less importantly the few class features) you like better (remember a Witch gets spells added to their list from their Patron)

TechnOkami
2012-02-26, 05:00 AM
Is there a link to or a book this "Harrower" is in? I'd like to take a look at it.

Togath
2012-02-26, 05:09 AM
Here (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/other-paizo/e-h/harrower) is a link to it's srd page