PDA

View Full Version : What other "cool stuff" would you hope for in future pledges?

nogall
2012-01-23, 10:25 AM
The Giant kindly promised and will (let's hope!) deliver very "cool stuff" indeed in this drive in Kickstarter.

But a lot of people are already asking and suggesting other rewards. What would you ask, if you could ask anything reasonable? (I mean, what are the chances of asking how the comic will end if I buy the whole reprint happening? :smalltongue:)

I would suggest:

1) a short story based on a wild forum speculation or discussion

or

2) a short story based on some what-if scenario (what if Hinjo had been killed in the battle of azure city? etc)

but of course, you may be much more creative than me, why ask only short stories?

PS: sorry for any english mistakes, not a native speaker. And I know this will not in any ways change the current drive, as per the Giants comments and Kickstarter rules.

ThePhantasm
2012-01-23, 01:06 PM
But a lot of people are already asking and suggesting other rewards.

Who, and where?

We don't even know if there will be a future Kickstarter Drive. As far as we know, these prizes / rewards are a one time only deal.

Your suggestions just seem like spinoffs of current rewards. I can't even figure out how # 1 would work, or how it would appeal to non-forumgoers (of which there are many among OOTS readership, and many many more on Kickstarter).

I don't see how # 2 would be a good idea either, as it would require the Giant to basically rewrite parts of his own story in a way he never intended, which would always make the rewrite inferior to the original I'd think. Plus there would always be the potential hidden insinuation that the readers didn't like the Giant's original version. I know it isn't meant that way but if I was an author who had taken care to plot out a story just the way I wanted it, I wouldn't be all that excited about writing a "what-if." Maybe that's just me though.

I don't want to rain on the parade in this thread, all I really mean is that the Giant picked some pretty great rewards, many of which I never thought would ever be offered, so I don't understand why folks would want to start clamoring for more / different ones especially this soon.

Ron Miel
2012-01-24, 01:59 PM
I don't see how # 2 would be a good idea either, as it would require the Giant to basically rewrite parts of his own story in a way he never intended, which would always make the rewrite inferior to the original I'd think.

Actually, this is done all the time in comics. Marvel superheroes regularly do "What if " stories, where important parts of a character's history didn't happen, or happened differently.

rbetieh
2012-01-24, 02:05 PM
A joke strip called "DM of the Stick" where Belkars 'character' is played by a guy named Jim :smallbiggrin:

Balain
2012-01-24, 02:28 PM
I was thinking a new rank title for the forums, and for a higher amount maybe your own custom rank title (pending approval).

An idea I saw that someone else had which I would go for would be a set of loot cards for the order of the stick board game based on the pledge drive, like Haley getting her +8 bracers :smallsmile:

How about something along the lines of your D&D characters as an encounter for the order of the stick board game. Or as an extra optional party member for the board game.

A bunch have also suggested autographed posters if any are left. I have mine but might go for those depending on the pledge amount.

Maybe something like a water bottle with a pledge related image on it or t-shirts.

or Water bottle or t-shirts with characters of your choice (up to 3 or 4)

How about with a real high pledge you get to have diner with Rich or something.

EDIT: I just saw another idea which I would go for if I had the money, Those that have all the books can send them back to Rich at our expense and he will sign the books. Of course Rich more than likely doesn't want to be signing books for then 3 to 12 months as was also said.

Xapi
2012-01-24, 02:55 PM
I had this idea (not for myself, mind you, I'm certainly not as wealthy as that) for a high tier reward.

In any D&D based tale, you'll always need an archetypal party to fill some sort of role, be it for a gag, or as background for a typical tavern scene or something.

So, my idea was that 4 or 5 different rewards, with one slot each, could be presented as "Cameo for a Divine Spellcaster", "Cameo for a Arcane Spellcaster", etc., and the party that comes from that (that is, the party that is made up from the characters put forward by the different pledgers) would have a 1 to 4 panel cameo on the O-Chul comic.

This could be a reward for a level lower than $5000 (Because: a) it doesn't go in the main comic, and therefore not in print; b) the time in the spotlight is shared among 4 or 5 people) but higher than the $1250, such that the sum of all 4-5 pledges would be significantly higher than the $5000 pledged by the awesome guy who will get his own cameo on the main comic.

ThePhantasm
2012-01-24, 03:22 PM
Actually, this is done all the time in comics. Marvel superheroes regularly do "What if " stories, where important parts of a character's history didn't happen, or happened differently.

Yes, but those are typically written by different authors. This wouldn't be.

Eerie
2012-01-24, 03:36 PM
Full size marble statues of all OotS protagonists.

CoffeeIncluded
2012-01-24, 05:13 PM
A "Prequel Package" consisting of On the Origin of PC's and Start of Darkness, that may or may not be signed. I'd get that.

Zordrath
2012-01-24, 05:40 PM
A "Prequel Package" consisting of On the Origin of PC's and Start of Darkness, that may or may not be signed. I'd get that.
I'm surprised that combo isn't available yet. Though the print-only package is pretty close, just adding Dragon Tales into the bargain as well.

Personally, I have all the books already and am unfortunately not wealthy enough to go for the individualized drawings/cameos etc, so I'm mainly interested in fresh comic material like the O-Chul comic and the three new stories. I'm hoping the mystery prize is something in that direction :smallbiggrin: Since all who pledged 10 dollars or more will get it for free, I think it has to be something that's delivered digitally.

homeslice
2012-01-24, 05:47 PM
Considering that I've never purchased any of the books, I'm waiting to see what my options are in regards to getting the most books possible.

Douglas
2012-01-24, 07:49 PM
Considering that I've never purchased any of the books, I'm waiting to see what my options are in regards to getting the most books possible.
You can change your pledge and chosen reward at any time until February 21. Wanting a reward that will possibly be added later is no reason to delay pledging.