PDA

View Full Version : Rate my Alchemist

pluizig
2012-01-23, 03:06 PM
For our first Pathfinder game I've decided to play an Alchemist. As I've never seen one in play before, I'd like some feedback on my build and bio.

The only handbook I've found advises to concentrate on either bombing or mutating, but I'd rather do both a little less well than be really good at one and suck at the other.

Keep in mind that the entire group is very, very low-optimized.

Simeon Cavendish
Neutral Human male Alchemist 3
Stats (15PB): Str 13 Dex 14 Con 10 Int 17(+2=19) Wis 8 Cha 7
Skills (with ranks): Acrobatics +3, Craft (alchemy) +6, Disable Device +4, Disguise +3, Knowledge (arcana) +5, Perception +6, Profession (apothecary) +4, Sleight of Hand +4, Spellcraft +6, Stealth +3, Survival +4, Use Magic Device +6
Feats: Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot, Extra Discovery
Discoveries: Precise Bomb, Feral Mutagen
Formulae: Comprehend Languages, Cure Light Wounds, Disguise Self, Enlarge Person, Expeditious Retreat, Keen Senses, Shield, True Strike

Bio: (English is not my first language, so be gentle)
Simeon Cavendish is a withdrawn, stange man. He runs an apothecary shop in a small town. This shop is the only way he interacts with other people. He likes to experiment with his formulae in his back room. Because this sometimes goes wrong, his face and body have accumulated many burn and discolorments: Simeon feels ashamed of this and thus almost always keeps the hood of his mantle low over his head.

When he is working on his potions, poisons and explosives, Simeon is in his element: he moves and talks very fast and gets a little giddy. This is in sharp contrast with the gruff, cynical and apathetic man most villagers know him as.

He treats his potions, the fruits of his labor, with a lot of respect and he actually dislikes having to sell them to people who, in his eyes, do not deserve them. For this reason he sometimes makes a little money as an adventurer when he goes into the wild to look for exotic plants and monsters to use as ingredients.

In one of his researches Simeon found a way to alter his body in such a way, that he becomes stronger and more bestial. Although he is completely himself in this form, he dislikes having to use it. He sees using a mutagen as a failure of his intellect and will mostly turn to it as a last resort, when his extracts and bombs are depleted or ineffective. In some way, he enjoys the physical power this form brings him, but he's not ready to admit this to himself, let alone other people.

Corlindale
2012-01-23, 05:15 PM
Seems pretty ok, though be careful about dumping wisdom. My own Alchemist - my first PF character too - died at level 4 because he kept failing his will saves against a nasty compulsion effect.

You might want to get the Infusion discovery at some point, it will really make your party love you. A sort of hidden benefit is that it will allow you to "cast" some spells that are normally personal-only on your party members, such as Shield (which is fantastic for any fighter class that doesn't use a shield).

And, as you yourself said, you don't have enough discoveries or ability points (especially at 15 point buy!) to make both a great bomber and a great melee-fighter. But as long as you know that that is the choice you have made, I guess it will work out fine.