PDA

View Full Version : Results of a new rule?

Tvtyrant
2012-01-23, 05:54 PM
I was thinking about giving each character a pool of points to make magic items with. Each magic item would take the same amount of points, but you need to meet a DC for a skill related to the item (fly for flying magic items, etc.) This wouldn't replace the caster system of magic item creation, but exist alongside it as a means for mundanes to make their own magic weapons.

Would there be any negative repercussions to this?

Curmudgeon
2012-01-23, 06:02 PM
What skill is related to flying?

If you're making up new skills, or even using existing skills, that will put an emphasis on developing those skills for magic item creation rather than for their existing game purposes. There are never enough skill points anyway, so you'd be aggravating this problem.

If you want to give out magic items, just do it. Don't make up new hoops for the players to jump through while keeping them from adventuring.

Dusk Eclipse
2012-01-23, 06:04 PM
In pathfinder there is an actual Fly skill, I think the OP is playing Pathfinder or houseruled it into 3.5

Tvtyrant
2012-01-23, 06:13 PM
I house ruled it in. Oddly enough, I forgot that was from Pathfinder (I don't even know what I am playing anymore!)

I see your point Curmudgeon, but I don't feel that me handing people things will actually solve any underlying issues. I might end up boosting the number of skills mundanes get though.