PDA

View Full Version : Help with Vampire: The Requiem Concept- Vampire Priest???

Tokuhara
2012-01-23, 10:37 PM
I was watching the Gentleman Gamer's reviews last night on the Bloodlines trilogy of V:tR books (Bloodlines the Hidden, the Legendary, and the Chosen) and started actually reading over the Vampire books and read up on the Lancea Sanctum. This lead to the following thought: a Catholic Priest that is a Vampire.

This was my thought:

Clan: Nosferatu
Bloodline: Gethsemani (Bloodlines: The Hidden)
Coven: Lancea Sanctum

So my question is what attributes, skills, merits, & discipline levels would be "ideal" for my concept? I'm not looking to Powergame, but I want to be a viable member to a group of 4-5 players.

Reluctance
2012-01-24, 02:06 AM
I'm going to be very, very careful here due to the religion rule. But the only thing that you need to be a priest of any sort is some Status: Clerical Standing, and the Academics specialty in Religion it requires as a prereq. Probably a bit of the Language (Latin) merit to boot. LS Status also advised. Everything else is up in the air. You're more likely to find a priest with the Meditative Mind merit than one who's an expert boxer, but anything is possible.

Skillwise, you'll want Academics, Empathy, Expression, and Persuasion. Everything else, again, depends entirely on the person. If you're getting the impression that priests, catholics and catholic priests are all drawn from a very broad swath of humanity, that's a good thing to take away.

I get the feeling you're going for the movie trope of the badass priest. In that case, physical disciplines and combat skills. Keep in mind, though, that movie tropes often have one fatal flaw when translated to games; they're meant as solo protagonists. You don't get all the spotlight when you're playing with a bunch of friends.

Kesnit
2012-01-24, 07:22 AM
As Reluctance said, there are several ways to take the character.

The first question is do you want a Social Nos (with emphasis on Nightmare) or a Physical Nos (emphasis on Obfuscate)? Do you want him to have Thebean? If so, how much (and what will your ST let you have)? What is the rest of the party playing?

Tokuhara
2012-01-24, 09:42 AM
As Reluctance said, there are several ways to take the character.

The first question is do you want a Social Nos (with emphasis on Nightmare) or a Physical Nos (emphasis on Obfuscate)? Do you want him to have Thebean? If so, how much (and what will your ST let you have)? What is the rest of the party playing?

I actually want to be focused around Thebean & Stigmatum. The ST just told us "prepare a vampire character."

Knowing the group, and their knowledge of V:tR, one is going to be a Bogeyman (can't remember the real name), a Child of Judas, a Juliano, and a blood-bathing serial killer Blind Vampire bloodline from B:tC

Need_A_Life
2012-01-24, 10:15 PM
Clan: Nosferatu
Bloodline: Gethsemani (Bloodlines: The Hidden)
Coven: Lancea Sanctum

So my question is what attributes, skills, merits, & discipline levels would be "ideal" for my concept? I'm not looking to Powergame, but I want to be a viable member to a group of 4-5 players.
Social skills that reflect the style of preacher (threaten, convince, trick).
Academics would be needed.
Strictly speaking, a traditional priest would have studied Latin, Ancient Greek and Biblical Hebrew, but languages are fairly expensive in nWoD, IIRC, so maybe stick with one of these.

I'd probably go like this when prioritizing my skills:
Preaching: Persuasion(primary)/Socialize(secondary)
Knowing stuff: Academics(primary)/Occult(secondary)
Physical: Larceny*(primary)/Athletics(secondary)
Discipline: ... Nightmare? Maybe?

* Larceny is also used to detect criminal activity, not just commiting it. :smallbiggrin:

Good gaming from a bored theology student.

TheCountAlucard
2012-01-24, 10:28 PM
...but languages are fairly expensive in nWoD, IIRC...Got cheapened in the errata, actually. Still would cost a hefty chunk of his build, but far better than it used to be.

Tokuhara
2012-01-26, 01:33 AM
Social skills that reflect the style of preacher (threaten, convince, trick).
Strictly speaking, a traditional priest would have studied Latin, Ancient Greek and Biblical Hebrew, but languages are fairly expensive in nWoD, IIRC, so maybe stick with one of these.

I'd probably go like this when prioritizing my skills:
Knowing stuff: Academics(primary)/Occult(secondary)
Physical: Larceny*(primary)/Athletics(secondary)
Discipline: ... Nightmare? Maybe?

* Larceny is also used to detect criminal activity, not just commiting it. :smallbiggrin:

Good gaming from a bored theology student.

I also planned on dabbling into Firearms, since fights are inevitable.

Selrahc
2012-01-26, 08:37 AM

I think preaching doesn't involve persuasion at all actually. Expression for speaking to a large crowd. Socialize for most interactions on a personal level. Persuasion would be helpful if, for example, somebody comes to a priest with a crisis, but I don't think it's anything like as core to the profession of priesthood as being able to express powerfully.

Dead languages I would place under academics. Since the context for their use is almost entirely academic, or at least falling under the remit of the academics skill. The language merit is more for things that people actually speak.

I'd recommend taking Awe to help offset Nosferatu penalties to social rolls. Majesty 1, Nightmare 1, Vigor 1.

Semidi
2012-01-26, 09:39 AM
I see a Nos LS priest to be very "fire and brimstone." This is my recommendation.

Attributes: Social primary, mental secondary. Majority of points in presence and the rest in manipulation (and at least 2 dots of composure). Mentals: intelligence and resolve get majority of points with 1 - 2 in wits.

Skills: social primary, mental secondary, physical tertiary.

You'll want a good number of points in intimidate (fire and brimstone style preaching), expression, and persuasion. Maybe sprinkle in some empathy.

Mentals skills, academics is your number one most important thing--like 4 at least with a spec in religion or theology. After that you'll want a little occult and politics.

Physicals... being nosferatu stealth, larceny, and brawl are essential. Nosferatu get some sick grappling devotions out of the nos book that go great with lots of Nightmare.

Merits: If you can get enough presence pick up the merit "inspiring" which lets you give a speech, make a roll, and on success grant everyone around you willpower. Perfect for a priest.

Disciplines: It's all good. I'd focus on high levels of nightmare and Theban over obfuscate and vigor. I mean, obf and vigor are awesome, but if the character is very social/mental Theban and Nightmare will be his bread and butter. Some Theban rituals to look for: display the beast (basically nightmare on crack) and damned radiance (+1 to presence for every success, yes you can get upwards of 7+ presence on good roles).

Other ideas: take the nos flaw huge skull (or something like that) +1 intelligence and -1 stamina.

Bloodlines: Geth are pretty cool. If you want to go really, really social go Galloi.

Tokuhara
2012-01-26, 11:10 AM
I see a Nos LS priest to be very "fire and brimstone." This is my recommendation.

Attributes: Social primary, mental secondary. Majority of points in presence and the rest in manipulation (and at least 2 dots of composure). Mentals: intelligence and resolve get majority of points with 1 - 2 in wits.

Skills: social primary, mental secondary, physical tertiary.

You'll want a good number of points in intimidate (fire and brimstone style preaching), expression, and persuasion. Maybe sprinkle in some empathy.

Mentals skills, academics is your number one most important thing--like 4 at least with a spec in religion or theology. After that you'll want a little occult and politics.

Physicals... being nosferatu stealth, larceny, and brawl are essential. Nosferatu get some sick grappling devotions out of the nos book that go great with lots of Nightmare.

Merits: If you can get enough presence pick up the merit "inspiring" which lets you give a speech, make a roll, and on success grant everyone around you willpower. Perfect for a priest.

Disciplines: It's all good. I'd focus on high levels of nightmare and Theban over obfuscate and vigor. I mean, obf and vigor are awesome, but if the character is very social/mental Theban and Nightmare will be his bread and butter. Some Theban rituals to look for: display the beast (basically nightmare on crack) and damned radiance (+1 to presence for every success, yes you can get upwards of 7+ presence on good roles).

Other ideas: take the nos flaw huge skull (or something like that) +1 intelligence and -1 stamina.

Bloodlines: Geth are pretty cool. If you want to go really, really social go Galloi.

I kind of have my heart set on the Gethsermani. I just adore the fluff