PDA

View Full Version : Polymorph/Alter Self and Size Changes

Laniius
2012-01-24, 02:16 AM
So I'm considering casting Polymorph Any Object on my party as a buff (hey, we're epic, cheese is expected) and I'm wondering what it would do with our items if I stay in the basic humanoid body plan, but change size. Technically the new forms would be capable of using the equipment we have, but would likely be larger than medium. Would the equipment meld into our forms or change size with us? If it melds, then PAO becomes slightly less enticing. Before you ask: I don't have Shapechange. I'm a cleric, and I don't have the Animal domain (I have Travel, Trickery, and may be picking up Knowledge via a feat for rp purposes).

TroubleBrewing
2012-01-24, 04:15 AM
Yes, magic items change size with you.

Mundane stuff does not in most cases, but most size-change-specific magic allows for this. Enlarge Person, etc., include language that states that your items change with you.

tyckspoon
2012-01-24, 07:17 AM
Weapons and Armor do not change size unless specified in the spell you're using (as they do in Enlarge Person, for example.) Since you're Epic, getting Sizing stuck on your weapons so you can just keep using them shouldn't be too much of a problem, but I'm not aware of a similar property for armor. Wondrous items are either not actually worn, resize to fit whoever tries to use them, or are a kind of item that can be easily adjusted to many different sizes. You should be able to use your belts/cloaks/rings/necklaces/etc without any problem.

TroubleBrewing
2012-01-24, 07:44 AM
I should point out that when I refer to "magic items" in my above post, I should have specified wondrous items.

Weapons and armor are excluded.

My only excuse for this gross lack of specificity is that I've been playing a lot of Sorcerers lately.

Laniius
2012-01-24, 07:38 PM
Thanks for the responses! And as to adding the sizing property to our weapons and armor, that's a thought, but nobody has item creation feats (along those veins anyway) and we seem to be in a wasteland right now generated from a planeshifting/destroying disaster. We've only come across a ruined village, some demons, dragons, and giants so far - and they've either been poor or hostile. The magic mart seems to be closed.

Anyway, if I recall correctly, even PAO doesn't give you a creature's immunities, does it?

Edit: Also, what happens if you have bonuses from tomes and manuals? Do those bonuses add to the new form's stats, or does the new form override them?

kardar233
2012-01-24, 10:21 PM
As the Polymorph line changes your type to the creature's type, you would gain immunities as an Undead or Construct or similar by Polymorphing into one.

However, immunities above and beyond the ones given by the type (like most Golem's Magic Immunity) are generally (Ex) and thus you don't get them through Polymorph. Shapechange gives them, though.

Laniius
2012-01-24, 11:24 PM
As the Polymorph line changes your type to the creature's type, you would gain immunities as an Undead or Construct or similar by Polymorphing into one.

However, immunities above and beyond the ones given by the type (like most Golem's Magic Immunity) are generally (Ex) and thus you don't get them through Polymorph. Shapechange gives them, though.

So if I polymorphed into an outsider, I would get darkvision, and be proficient in all simple and martial weapons? Or if I polymorphed into an elemental I wouldn't need to breathe, and would be immune to critical hits?

...wow, if so I'm finally starting to realize why polymorph is seen as somewhat broken.

Also, what is the hit dice limitation (if any) of polymorph any object? Like, can I use it to polymorph into a solar?

Rubik
2012-01-25, 06:57 PM
Do note that PAO and regular Polymorph cannot change you more than one size category away from your original size. PAO is based on Polymorph which is based on Alter Self, and nowhere is the size restriction in Alter Self lifted for any of them.

Just FYI.

Gavinfoxx
2012-01-25, 07:51 PM
Here's a thing for you!

http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=3479.0