PDA

View Full Version : Is ther an item good against grappling opponents?

paurpg
2012-01-24, 10:47 AM
To prepare against a grappling oponent, is there some kind of grease that can boost escape artist checks? Or some perishable preferrably cheap alternative to protect against a strong improved grappling? Thanks

motoko's ghost
2012-01-24, 10:51 AM
I was going to say ring of freedom of movement, but if it's a cheap alternative try using some method of getting fire resistance, then setting yourself on fire.:smalltongue:

mikau013
2012-01-24, 10:52 AM
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#salveofSlipperiness

Like this?

deuxhero
2012-01-24, 10:54 AM
Anklets of Teleporation (or was it transportation). Swift action low range teleport and cheep.

Douglas
2012-01-24, 10:54 AM
For total immunity there's the Ring of Freedom of Movement (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/rings.htm#freedomofMovement), but that's a bit pricy.

There are a number of other options, with widely varying effectiveness, practicality, and cost. Just how cheap are you looking for, and how much of a price increase would a reusable item be worth to you?

mikau013
2012-01-24, 10:57 AM
Anklets of Teleporation (or was it transportation). Swift action low range teleport and cheep.

Anklet of translocation MIC # 71

Studoku
2012-01-24, 11:00 AM
Dungeonscape has rules for covering yourself in lard so you're slippery.

I am not making this up.

FMArthur
2012-01-24, 11:02 AM
You could also get an Eternal Wand (MIC 159) of Heart of Water (CM 107) for 10,900gp. Twice every day you can use the item to activate a 5-hour buff that gives you a swim speed, the ability to breathe water and a +5 enhancement bonus on Escape Artist checks. And at any time you can take a Swift action to expend the buff to grant yourself the effect of Freedom of Movement (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/freedomOfMovement.htm) for 5 rounds. Which lets you just say "no" to being grappled or having your movement impeded by magic.

It's better than the salves (cheaper too if you were gonna get more than 10 of them) and doesn't just leave you open to being grabbed again like the anklets.

Gwendol
2012-01-24, 11:13 AM
The Anklets are great, and not only for grappling but for positioning too. Go with those.

paurpg
2012-01-24, 03:34 PM
I'm not sure my Dm will allow those items, but is there some kind of alchemical equivalent of a grease spell? Maybe I'll just buy a grease scroll, but it doesnt last very long. Thanks

NNescio
2012-01-24, 03:36 PM
I'm not sure my Dm will allow those items, but is there some kind of alchemical equivalent of a grease spell? Maybe I'll just buy a grease scroll, but it doesnt last very long. Thanks

The aforementioned lard from Dungeonscape? It's certainly not alchemical, but mundane enough.

A&EG also has bags of marbles, which can be an ersatz replacement for the other, primary use of Grease.

kvothe
2012-01-24, 03:38 PM
If you can activate arcane wands, I find that a wand of Benign Transposition (SC) stored in a Handy Haversack is particularly effective, since you don't need to make a grapple check to activate the wand (spell trigger), and drawing an item from a Haversack is a move action that does not provoke AoOs (though I'm fuzzy on whether doing so is allowed in a grapple; the rules seem pretty vague on that point).

Ernir
2012-01-24, 03:39 PM
Third Eye Freedom, from the Magic Item Compendium.

EDIT: Or more to the point, see "Lists of Necessary Magic Items" in my sig.

NNescio
2012-01-24, 03:43 PM
If you can activate arcane wands, I find that a wand of Benign Transposition (SC) stored in a Handy Haversack is particularly effective, since you don't need to make a grapple check to activate the wand (spell trigger), and drawing an item from a Haversack is a move action that does not provoke AoOs (though I'm fuzzy on whether doing so is allowed in a grapple; the rules seem pretty vague on that point).

The rules for what you can or cannot do while grappling are specific, if confusing. Whether an action provokes an AoO or not is irrelevant, actions not present on the list cannot be performed, and retrieving stored items (except for components from spell component pouches, which take a full round action) is not present on said list. The HHH itself also has no exception clause in the event of a grapple.

Killer Angel
2012-01-24, 03:52 PM
To prepare against a grappling oponent, is there some kind of grease that can boost escape artist checks? Or some perishable preferrably cheap alternative to protect against a strong improved grappling? Thanks

Many options were already taken, so I'm going to remind the Vest of escape (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#vestofEscape).

There's also the feat Close Quarter Fighting: if an opponent with the improved grab ability or the Improved Grapple feat attempts to start a grapple with you, you can take an immediate attack of opportunity against them. If you hit, any damage you deal with your attack of opportunity is added to your grapple check to avoid being grappled

erikun
2012-01-24, 04:00 PM
Uh, you could buy oil (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/goodsAndServices.htm#oil)? It doesn't say specifically, but it would be reasonable to grant a +2 circumstance bonus to escape artist checks and grapple checks to resist/escape a grapple.

As a plus side, it also aids the whole setting-self-on-fire plan.

Gavinfoxx
2012-01-24, 04:02 PM
From: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187851

"Freedom of Movement

Why you need it: Because of Solid Fog, because you can be insta-killed if you are paralyzed, and because monsters have ginormous grapple checks.
Cheap:
Third Eye Freedom (MIC). 2600GP, face slot. Once per day, as an immediate action, gain Freedom of Movement for one round. Excellent panic button.
Periapt of the Sullen Sea (MIC). 6000GP, throat slot. Allows you to spend a 4th level spell slot to cast Freedom of Movement. Useless if you don't have 4th level spell slots to spread around, but a nice backup otherwise.
Vest of Free Movement (MIC). 12000GP, torso slot. Freedom of Movement for 3 rounds, three times per day. What is good about the activation is that it's a swift action, what's bad is that it's a command activation, which means it won't work if you have already been paralyzed.
Standard:
Ring of Freedom of Movement (DMG). 40000GP, ring slot. Continuous Freedom of Movement. One of the more expensive and powerful rings in 3.5, can be well worth it at very high levels.
Freedom armor enhancement (MIC). +5 armor enhancement. Continuous Freedom of Movement, just like the ring provides. This one is cheaper if you don't have any other armor enhancements, otherwise the ring is cheaper.
Deluxe:
Cowl of Warding (MoF). 200800GP, head slot. Comprehensive, powerful protective item that includes FoM. See the Mind Blank entry."

kvothe
2012-01-24, 05:57 PM
The rules for what you can or cannot do while grappling are specific, if confusing. Whether an action provokes an AoO or not is irrelevant, actions not present on the list cannot be performed, and retrieving stored items (except for components from spell component pouches, which take a full round action) is not present on said list. The HHH itself also has no exception clause in the event of a grapple.

Then perhaps one could store some spell components in their HHH, so as to be able to retrieve a wand from it during a grapple, or perhaps store their wand in their components pouch? Sure, you'd spend a full-round action doing so, but this is still far cheaper than many of the other items listed.

Though the Haversack doesn't specifically say it works in a grapple, though I'd say any non extremely stringent DM would rule that, given the way the sack works outside of a grapple, this would be an acceptable action. This seems to me to be a clear enough case of the Specific-Beats-General rule.

Killer Angel
2012-01-25, 03:45 AM
From: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187851

I would add in the Cape of the Mountebank

Greenish
2012-01-25, 04:50 AM
I would add in the Cape of the MountebankThat doesn't give you Freedom of Movement. The Cape is under Tactical Teleportation on the list you quoted.

Nabirius
2012-01-25, 05:00 AM

Translocation actually ( seriously how many synonyms does one language need for a fiction mode of transportation). But I second this. Things are beyond dirt cheap and can act as a 3 times per day 'escape from near certain doom' button for any caster.

Killer Angel
2012-01-25, 05:01 AM
That doesn't give you Freedom of Movement. The Cape is under Tactical Teleportation on the list you quoted.

Ah, you're right. I was fixed on the objective of avoiding grapple.

Greenish
2012-01-25, 05:35 AM
Things are beyond dirt cheap and can act as a 3 times per day 'escape from near certain doom' button for any caster.2/day, and not just for casters, anyone can use them.

paurpg
2012-01-25, 06:57 AM
All good ideas except my GM doesn't allow those items (anklets, heart of water..) and I dont have enough gold for the others. I think I'll cast mirror image and ready a grease scroll just for this once.
Thanks

Killer Angel
2012-01-25, 07:16 AM
All good ideas except my GM doesn't allow those items (anklets, heart of water..) and I dont have enough gold for the others. I think I'll cast mirror image and ready a grease scroll just for this once.
Thanks

The mentioned Salve of Slipperiness is cheap. How many gps are we talking about?

Andreaz
2012-01-25, 07:24 AM
If the salve is beyond his pockets, odds are his dm thinks VoP is overpowered, and for a good reason.

paurpg
2012-01-25, 09:46 AM
I'm sorry, salve of slipperiness is affordable I guess, but for a one use object, and in my case, I'd rather cast mirror image on myself and then just buy a scroll of grease or two for 25 gp each. The 900 gp difference in price is too much for +20 when I can get +10 for 25 gp. Specially since this isn't crucial for the plot or anything. I'll only get about 1000 gp for winning this fight anyway.

FMArthur
2012-01-25, 10:36 AM
Is this a core-only game or something? Magic Item Compendium is pretty much the main source of gear in the game. :smallconfused:

Gavinfoxx
2012-01-25, 10:40 AM
Heart of Water isnt an item, it's a spell...

Dragonmuncher
2012-01-25, 10:52 AM
I can't think of a potion that helps out against grappling, but that sounds like it'd be perfect for your needs.

Also see if you can do the oil thing mentioned- if you oil yourself up, a small bonus to Escape Artist isn't crazy. Happens in Real Life plenty of times.

Aerlock
2012-01-25, 03:27 PM
Crystal of Glancing Blows (MIC pg 25) give bonuses to prevent the initial grapple depending on the version purchased. 9k gp in its most expensive form.

- Aerlock