PDA

View Full Version : CREEEEEEED! (PFRPG Tactical Genius Archetype for Inquisitor) P.E.A.C.H.

Chronologist
2012-01-24, 11:13 AM
Tactical Genius (Inquisitor Archetype)

Some inquisitors forgo the magic bestowed on them by their deity in order to become extraordinary battlefield tacticians. Tactical geniuses use their wits and leadership to grant their allies the benefits of some of their class features. The originator of this archetype is unknown, but it would have to be some kind of tactical geniu-

http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lwn0jn9dF21r79ielo1_500.png
Ursarkar E. Creed defeating the deity Tzeentch by making a pawn invisible with his Improbably Hiding Place ability.

Group Judgment: At 1st level, a tactical genius may choose to grant one ally within 60 feet the benefits of his Judgment ability. At every even inquisitor level thereafter, a tactical genius may affect another ally within 12 squares. If an ally moves farther than 60 feet from the inquisitor, they lose the benefits of the inquisitor's Judgment, and the inquisitor may reselect another ally (if available) to gain the benefit at the beginning of their turn as a free action. This ability replaces Stern Gaze.

Tactical Genius: At 1st level, a tactical genius substitutes their Intelligence score for their Wisdom score for the purposes of inquisitor class features. This ability replaces Monster Lore.

Just As Planned: Once per encounter at 1st level, and an additional time per encounter per odd level thereafter, a tactical genius may choose to reroll any single failed roll he just made, and adds his Intelligence modifier to the result. This is an immediate action, and he must take the second result, even if it's worse. This ability replaces the inquisitor's spellcasting. In addition, if the tactical genius takes another inquisitor archetype which replaces a class feature with an ability that alters or grants spellcasting, the tactical genius may choose to forgo taking that class feature.

Improbable Hiding Place (ex): At 2nd level a tactical genius gains the ability to conceal his allies and their equipment with ease. At the beginning of each encounter, the tactical genius can select a number of Medium-sized or smaller targets equal to his class level plus his Intelligence modifier. Each target must be adjacent to an object that could theoretically provide concealment (be it a wall, a chest of drawers, or even a small bush). Those targets are considered Invisible until they move, take an attack action, use an extraordinary or supernatural ability, or the encounter ends. As as extraordinary ability, this invisibility is natural in nature and cannot be seen through by See Invisibility, True Sight, or other similar features.

A tactical genius can hide larger things as well. A large-sized creature or object counts as two medium objects, a huge object counts as four objects, and so on and so forth, doubling the number of uses per size category. This ability replaces Track and Detect Alignment.

Group Tactics: At 3rd level, a tactical genius grants all Teamwork feats he has learned to each ally under the effects of his Group Judgment. This ability replaces Solo Tactics.

Edit: Added Improbably Hiding Place and caption.

Maquise
2012-01-24, 11:23 AM
Why is this an Inquisitor archetype? Seems more like it would fit Cavalier better.

"Foolish adventurers! You think your pathetic weapons are a match for me? You will make a most delicious- how'd that Baneblade get in my treasure pile?"

Chronologist
2012-01-24, 11:47 AM
I considered making it an Order for the cavalier, but while the cavalier already has the ability to grant teamwork feats they also focus on mounted combat, and I figured the benefits of the tactical genius archetype would be too strong for them. In order to justify Group Judgment, Group Tactics, and Just As Planned, I needed to remove a class feature that was pretty powerful, and the inquisitor's spellcasting seemed appropriate.

I also think that sharing Judgment was a good choice for an ability, it gives the archetype a second layer of support abilities without being too strong.

Also, cavaliers already have the Order of the Dragon, which is similar.

I'm also a big fan of the flavor of the inquisitor, which to me matches with the Space Marines in Warhammer 40K. It's all about fighting heretics, xenos, and demons, which is kind of the inquisitor's thing.

SlashRunner
2012-01-24, 05:40 PM
As a person who hasn't played Pathfinder, I can't comment on the actual mechanics of the class, but one thing really jumped at me.
It lacks the ability to hide its allies in improbable places. Do this, and I would be a happy camper.

Chronologist
2012-01-24, 06:23 PM
Added Improbable Hiding Place alternate feature. I can't believe I missed that. Thanks for the tip SlashRunner. As written, it's designed to give an advantage to allies in the first round of combat, and sets up great ambushes.

Inquisitor spellcasting goes up to 6th level like a Bard, is divine, and has a moderate-sized list. They get a few spells earlier than they should, plus access to a domain list at 1st level. It's a pretty good class feature. I figure trading that for better ally support and re-rolls is pretty reasonable.

Chronologist
2012-01-25, 01:02 PM
Bump.

So, anyone have any idea for other alternate abilities? I figure swapping out the Discern Lies ability would be thematic, as would replacing every other class feature that emulates spells or supernatural abilities.