PDA

View Full Version : The Mechanics of Scroll Creation & Use in Pathfinder

cc_kizz
2012-01-24, 12:41 PM
I am new to tabletop RPG games. I'll be playing my 6th session tonight. I've yet to actually scribe a scroll, but have been hesitant about how that works exactly. I don't have access to the actual Pathfinder books, but have been reading d20pfsrd.com. So, I have a few questions:

I've read on d20pfsrd (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/scrolls) "The writing for an activated spell disappears from the scroll as the spell is cast." Does this mean that the paper upon which the spell was scribed can be used again? Does this lessen the cost of scribing another spell onto this scroll?

In the initial scroll scribing process, I see that gold needs to be spent. How is this spent? Is this spent in acquiring materials with which to scribe spells to scrolls? Or does this gold just disappear into thin air? Part of the reason I'm asking is to determine if this is an as-needed spending event, or if supplies should be purchased ahead of time.

When spending money for scroll scribing, does the caster need to be within a market place to be spending it?

If I've scribed a scroll, do I need to use Read Magic on it to determine what it is before casting it? (And when I do need to have used Read Magic, I can cast the scroll at a later time without having Read Magic prepared, correct?

Thank you.

RndmNumGen
2012-01-24, 12:58 PM
1) I suppose yes, the paper would still be left over, though that won't reduce the price of future scrolls any.

2) It could be fluffed in several ways. You might spend the money on rare inks, or you may need the money to channel the magical energy, or maybe you grind up the gold coins and emboss the paper with gold dust. Unless the game is set in a survivalist setting, I wouldn't worry about having the required materials on hand and just subtract the cost from my GP total.

3) It depends on the GM, but as with the previous answer, unless you are specifically in a situation in which resources are scarce, I wouldn't worry about it. A Wizard's spell component pouch contains everything they will need to cast most spells, after all - why can't it also contain what you need to make scrolls?

4) Read Magic can be used to identify a scroll, but once you know what it is you don't need to use it again to figure out which scroll is which. If you need a fluff reason for this, just tell the DM you label each scroll after you identify them.