PDA

View Full Version : New to Paladins

Olfgar
2012-01-24, 01:05 PM
So, as the title says, I'venever played a paladin before, or a class that A) Needs almost every stat, or can heal, tank, do melee dps, etc all at once. Ive generally played one certain role where one, maybe 2 stats are important IE, fight to be the imovable wall (who ended up dolling out lots of damage). Need something blasted, played an Evo wiz. Want the conversation to be turned in our favour, go for my Conjuration/Enchantment sorc.

But now ive decided to play as a paladin, but Im unsure of what kind of build is good for a paladin or fun. I was considering either a mounted build, Sword and board, or perhaps greatsword or other 2 handed weapon. I was wondering if all of your knowledge and experience could point me in a good direction.

I do honestly think that I may want to try a mounted combat build with a mix of some more standard combat feats or class levels so I wont be completley useless without a mount.

gkathellar
2012-01-24, 01:13 PM
1) Don't take more than 4 actual levels of paladin if you can help it. PrCs are your friend.

2) Battle Blessing is fantastic.

3) If you have access to Dragon Compendium, Serenity is awesome, and allows for thoroughly excessive Wis-optimization.

4) If you can get Evasion and Mettle for cheap, do it.

5) Consider whether you'd rather be playing a Cleric/Prestige Paladin or a Crusader.

Hiro Protagonest
2012-01-24, 01:17 PM
Cleric 5/prestige paladin 15. Take Battle Blessing (note that it only applies to paladin spells).

Stormageddon
2012-01-24, 01:28 PM
Are we talking 3.5 or pathfinder?

I'm going to presume 3.5. For stats I would put the highest score in CHA. Put no more than 14 in Wis as most of your spells are buffs and healing doesn't require high casting stat. second highest stat into STR. No more than a 12 into Dex as you'll be wearing heavy armor, and you're going to have amazing saves anyways thanks to the high CHA. Don't put below 10 into CON you're going to be a front line fighter, but you don't need as much CON as say a fighter because you will have self heals at some point. INT can be your dump stat.

If it's pathfinder the only differences is that you can dump WIS as well.

If you're going to go mounted it depends on how your DM likes to run his campaign. If he's all about the dungeons I would suggest taking a small race and getting a riding dog mount as they are easier to move in tight spaces. If he likes the out doors take whatever race suits you.

Olfgar
2012-01-24, 01:39 PM
Yes it is 3.5, and it seems like hes going to be mixing it up a bit witht he indoors and outdoors (i mean you cant have DUNGEONS and Dragons with the Dungeons part lol).

He has vaguely hinted that at higher levels I MAY be able to work extrely hard and recieve a flying mount such as a Drgon, Griffon, Dragonell (spelling?), Hypogriff, etc, but he's not going to give me a fiirm yes or no untill much later into the campaign.

Hiro Protagonest
2012-01-24, 01:55 PM
Yes it is 3.5, and it seems like hes going to be mixing it up a bit witht he indoors and outdoors (i mean you cant have DUNGEONS and Dragons with the Dungeons part lol).

He has vaguely hinted that at higher levels I MAY be able to work extrely hard and recieve a flying mount such as a Drgon, Griffon, Dragonell (spelling?), Hypogriff, etc, but he's not going to give me a fiirm yes or no untill much later into the campaign.

Pegasi and hippogriffs are core options for your Paladin Mount. You don't need some special DM houserule.

Tvtyrant
2012-01-24, 01:57 PM
As a side tangent, can a Paladin using Sword of the Arcane Order use swift action Wizard spells using Battle Blessing?

gkathellar
2012-01-24, 02:00 PM
As a side tangent, can a Paladin using Sword of the Arcane Order use swift action Wizard spells using Battle Blessing?

Nope. Battle Blessing only applies to Paladin spells.

kardar233
2012-01-24, 02:01 PM
No. He's not casting Paladin spells, he's casting Wizard spells in Paladin slots.

Olfgar
2012-01-24, 02:03 PM
Actually e was saying something how in the Draconomicon, it has rules on how to raise a dragon, attracting them as cohorts, getting them as special mounts, etc. Dragonells are also granted as a special mount from the Draconic Steed feat...i think?

Also pegasi are just not for me...Elton Johns rainbow horse, awaaaaaaaaaaay!

Hiro Protagonest
2012-01-24, 02:06 PM
Also pegasi are just not for me...Elton Johns rainbow horse, awaaaaaaaaaaay!

1) Find a way to talk to horses
2) Shamelessly steal Blackjack from Percy Jackson and the Olympians
3) ????
4) Profit!

And there's still hippogriff.

And yes, there is a feat to get a Drakkensteed (I think that's what it's called. Maybe that's the 4e one) as a mount.