PDA

View Full Version : were-classing?

leegi0n
2012-01-24, 04:35 PM
What would be a good class to mix with a werewolf? Monk?

Talya
2012-01-24, 04:42 PM
What would be a good class to mix with a werewolf? Monk?

Oh no. This can't go anywhere good...

Let's ignore "Monk" for now.

You're on the right track. You need something that is melee-based, because those animal hit dice and level adjustment are going to make spellcasting less than optimal.

I'm going to say Warblade or Swordsage, with an emphasis on the Warblade, because you lose no more BAB than you've already lost, and will catch up on your missing hit points a bit with the d12, as well. Focus on Tiger Claw maneuvers, stylisticly and mechanically nice for this idea. Your 2 HD from wolf are going to count as +1 initiator level, which is nice considering how many levels your using, but seriously, this is going to be a weak character for a while no matter how you do it. You're stating at 3 hit dice (Warblade 1, Wolf 2) with a +3 level adjustment (or +2 afflicted), meaning when everyone else hits level 7, you get your second warblade level. It's less of an issue as you get to higher levels, though.

Z3ro
2012-01-24, 04:49 PM
I'd recommend looking into the warshaper PrC as well, as what are supposed to be situational buffs become always on for you, which is nice.

Big Fau
2012-01-24, 04:50 PM
Might I make a suggestion? Don't start as a lycanthrope, progress yourself into it. Try Shifter Warblade 4/Weretouched Master 5/Bloodclaw Master 4/Warblade +7.

You become a "lycanthrope" around level 9, and you progress into 9th level maneuvers (with a focus on Tiger Claw). Note that the errata for the ECS reduced the power of the Weretouched Master's Alternate Form ability, but it is still a decent ability to have.

leegi0n
2012-01-24, 04:51 PM
The great thing is, these guys are merc/bounty hunters and travel in a pack of about 20. (they range from level 13-18)

Additionally, they are NPCs. I don't ever really have an intention of the party fighting them, just because the intimidation of my role playing them has already scared them senseless.

My real reason is just in case someone in the group has their daily serving of Wheaties and wants to tango, I'm prepared to back up the proverbial 'bark'.

They aren't even on paper at this point.

Medic!
2012-01-24, 05:19 PM
For some reason, a pack of werewolves makes my brain scream "Spring-attacking Scouts" but idk why...just like the flavor of the mental image. Adding in some Shadowdancer from the DMG would be particularly saucy.

On a barely related side-note, I always wanted to try out a Monk Were-Bear!

On a similarly barely related side-note, if you put [any random noun] in a campaign world, the party will, at one point or another, try to:

Kill it
Set it on fire
Diplomacy it into servitude
Rob it blind

then

loot it
eat it
turn it into some sort of fashionable attire

Or any combination of all of the above.

Depending on your players, they will try to do this at the exclusion of all other activity with massive amounts of brain-storming, book-diving, and effort.

D@rK-SePHiRoTH-
2012-01-24, 05:33 PM
server error made me double post, sorry.

D@rK-SePHiRoTH-
2012-01-24, 05:35 PM
Monk is a solid starter.
Monk has an interesting class feature: he does not need hands to attack.
This means that your claws are free after your standard full-attack, and you should be able to add natural attacks as secondary attacks.
(just like a fighter with a longsword can add the free claw, except you can add both)
Amulet of mighty fists will work on all your weapons.
Monks get also useful feats in the first 2 levels, especially if you can use unearthed arcana variants. Bonus to AC and saves is also welcome.
Complete your progression with some full bab class.
Ranger with the "ascetic hunter" feat is a nice choice.
If you like the fluff, "fist of the forst" is a very good PrC and the classes previously mentioned will help you qualifying for it.
Warshaper is reccommended, too.

Doorhandle
2012-01-24, 09:26 PM
I think you need a feat to flurry and full attack.

Tvtyrant
2012-01-24, 10:42 PM
My suggestion is actually going to be Binder for the Chucochops(?) spider vestige. Get pounce, invisbility and sudden strike, and have them literally appear out of air doing full attacks. Remember that they can track and so they will know where the party is first (usually).

Drelua
2012-01-24, 10:55 PM
You'll want to look at this (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20040117a) and maybe the other articles in the series. I can't remember for sure, but I don't think you have to finish the class, so it might be best to only take the first two levels of werewolf, especially since then you won't have to worry about infecting everyone you bite.

Tr011
2012-01-24, 11:06 PM
Warblade or some sort of Barbarian/Fighter/Warblade/Frenzied Berserker.

Red_Dog
2012-01-25, 02:13 AM
On a similarly barely related side-note, if you put [any random noun] in a campaign world, the party will, at one point or another, try to:

Kill it
Set it on fire
Diplomacy it into servitude
Rob it blind

then

loot it
eat it
turn it into some sort of fashionable attire

Or any combination of all of the above.

This is "save on notepad of disturbingly funny comments" worthy ^^
*You also u forgot, if the party is above at most 16 years old, coitus is usually somewhere in there.*

==============================================>
to leegi0n I really should myself read this before linking it but anything they do seems solid enough at least to share ^^=>

http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=4398

From my own personal view... If you want them to be 1] Scary & 2] at least semi effective
May I suggest blunt as a brick outhouse=>
Shock Trooper Chain + Feral Template[or Lion barbarian dip but that seems out of character too much].
Shock trooper chain is Power Attack, Improved Bulrush, Shock Trooper & Leap attack.
Feral Template is in Savage Species[humanoids & monstrous humanoids] and it should give you pounce & some stats[If being werewolf gives you pounce right away, than don't bother with savage. I just don't remember of top of my head]

With pounce you should be able to put enough hurting on anyone on a charge.
==============================================>

I am sure there are a lot more solutions that could be done, but IMO, if you want a quick fix, that won't let you down, won't be too OP and will be easy to manage => Charging Lycanthropes might be for you! ^^

Feytalist
2012-01-25, 03:33 AM
I once made a half-drow werewolf monk. It was a simpler, more innocent time, before Tome of Battle. It was woefully inadequate.

But Warshaper is a good idea, regardless. At least the first 4 levels. It presupposes that you will spend all your fighting time in your hybrid form, which is fine.

Prime32
2012-01-25, 07:50 AM
Additionally, they are NPCs. I don't ever really have an intention of the party fighting them, just because the intimidation of my role playing them has already scared them senseless.Ah, well that's different. Lycanthropes have massively inflated ECLs so they suck as PCs, but as NPCs it's just a flat CR increase.

You want things which take advantage of their high HD. Most of these are feats, but ToB classes add half their levels in other classes to their initiator level for determining what maneuvers they get.

Also consider making their animal forms advanced wolves with 5HD.

Clawhound
2012-01-25, 09:29 AM
I think that you're best off just making a custom prestige class. It's a simple enough hack.

Wildshape wolf/warg
Wildshape semi-wolf/semi-warg
Rage
d12
Full BAB
Stacks with Barbarian levels

Add in necessary abilities. (IE, keep your armor bonus, put your weapon enhancement bonus on your teeth, etc.)

I'd start with Barbarian, then PrC into this, something like a bear warrior.

Why this isn't easy in D&D, I have no clue. This has always been a popular archetype.

Psyren
2012-01-25, 09:52 AM
I think you need a feat to flurry and full attack.

You mean move and flurry, right?

TheLoneCleric
2012-01-25, 08:55 PM
If you were playing Pathfinder I'd say play the Shapeshifter Ranger Archetype. But sounds like you're 3.5 so I'll just throw that out there for the PF folks.

Gavinfoxx
2012-01-25, 09:34 PM
Remember, being a whirling frenzy spirit lion totem barbarian doesn't mean you have to have any flavor at all whatsoever other than 'competent at melee'.

Urpriest
2012-01-25, 09:48 PM
Since they're NPCs, I agree with earlier posters that it's not that painful. That said, you're still paying 2 CR for them to be werewolves. Were Direwolf is actually a bit more economical, not to mention more flavorful for their level (look at the sample werewolves, you'll see the one of that level is a Were Direwolf).

ToB levels are cool, as would be Totemist (not mentioned yet IIRC) or Ardent (you may be able to finagle casting higher than CR depending on the hit dice involved). Really though if they're a mercenary company of high level characters that have already interacted with the players then they should each have a rudimentary personality and set of distinct themes already, so you should base their class levels off that.