PDA

View Full Version : ~

Myro
2012-01-24, 04:47 PM
http://legioninflames.guildlaunch.com/guild/avatars/character_files/5874365/avatar4289.jpg

HD: D8

Progression:
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+1|
+0|
+2|
+0| Sneak Attack (+1d6), Rapid Reload

2nd|
+2|
+0|
+3|
+0| Uncanny Dodge, Ranged Flanker (10

3rd|
+3|
+1|
+3|
+1| Tactical Technique

4th|
+4|
+1|
+4|
+1| Sneak Attack (+2d6)

5th|
+5|
+1|
+4|
+1| Evasion, Close Combat Shot

6th|
+6/+1|
+2|
+5|
+2| Combat Training, Tactical Technique

7th|
+7/+2|
+2|
+5|
+2| Fast Movement (+10 ft), Sneak Attack (+3d6)

8th|
+8/+3|
+2|
+6|
+2| Improved Uncanny Dodge

9th|
+9/+4|
+3|
+6|
+3| Tactical Technique

10th|
+10/+5|
+3|
+7|
+3| Hide in Plain Sight, Sneak Attack (+4d6)

11th|
+11/+6/+1|
+3|
+7|
+3| Improved Evasion

12th|
+12/+7/+2|
+4|
+8|
+4| Improved Tactical Technique

13th|
+13/+8/+3|
+4|
+8|
+4| Improved Combat Training, Sneak Attack (+5d6)

14th|
+14/+9/+4|
+4|
+9|
+4| Fast Movement (+20 ft)

15th|
+15/+10/+5|
+5|
+9|
+5| Tactical Technique

16th|
+16/+11/+6/+1|
+5|
+10|
+5| Sneak Attack (+6d6)

17th|
+17/+12/+7/+2|
+5|
+10|
+5|

18th|
+18/+13/+8/+3|
+6|
+11|
+6| Improved Tactical Technique

19th|
+19/+14/+9/+4|
+6|
+11|
+6|Improved Sneak Attack (+6d8)

20th|
+20/+15/+10/+5|
+6|
+12|
+6| Combat Mastery [/table]

Class Features

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Vanguard Snipers are Proficient with all ranged weapons, as well as simple melee ones. They are also proficient at wearing light armor, and light shields.
Skills:
6+Int Modifer
Class Skills:
Balance (Dex), Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Escape Artist (Dex), Gather Information (Int), Hide (Dex), Jump (Str), Knowledge ???, Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Ride (Dex), Search (Int), Sense Motive (Wis), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis), Swim (Str), Tumble (Dex), Use Rope (Dex).

Sneak Attack: The Vanguards attack deals extra damage any time her target would be denied their Dexterity bonus to AC, or when the vanguard flanks her target. This extra damage is 1d6 at 1st level, increasing by 1d6 every 3 vanguard levels thereafter to a total of +6d6 at level 16.
Ranged attacks can count as sneak attacks only if the target is within 40 feet.

Ranged Flanker: At 2nd level, you are able to flank from a range, starting at 10 ft, and increasing by 5 ft every 3 levels; to a max of 40 ft at level 20.

Uncanny Dodge: You cannot be caught flat-footed and react to danger before your senses would normally allow you to.

Tactical Technique At 3rd, 6th, 9th, and 12th, the vanguard may choose one of the following techniques. The same technique can't be taken more than one time.

Bonus Feat: The vanguard receives a bonus feat, You may choose any feet aslong as you meet the prerequisites for it.
Power Shot: On your turn, before making attack rolls for the round, you may choose to subtract a number from all ranged attacks, and add the same number to all ranged damage rolls.

Quick To Act: You are able to take a full turn during a surprise round, If the surprise round is against you then you may only take an standard action. After this, you gain +2 to initiative.

Reader of the Wind: Your attacks are considered siege weapons for determining wind penalties, Furthermore you are able to shoot through windwalls with no penalties.

Silent Sniper: If you use the Sniper ability, then you deal an additional 1d6 sneak attack damage. Furthermore, the penalty to hide is reduced by 5 (To -15 from -20).

Hunter Of Magic: Using a full attack, you grant all of your attacks dispel magic (targeted), using your base attack bonus for each arrow in place of caster level.
ex. a 13th level vanguard (BAB of +13/+8/+3) shoots 3 arrows, having the respective dispel check of +20/+18/+13

Tumbling Shot: During your round, if you tumble through an opponent's threat zone, and successfully avoid an Attack of Opportunity, you then gain extra attack and damage on all attacks, based on how many dice you recieve for sneak attack.
Ex. A 7th level vanguard who has +3d6 sneak attack damage, she would gain a attack and damage bonus of +3

Stunning Shot: As a full round action, you can make a single attack, if it hits, the target must take a Fortitude save (DC 10+1/2 class level+Dexterity modifier), stunning the creature on a failed save. This attack does extra damage based on how many dice you receive for sneak attacks.
Ex. A 7th level vanguard who has +3d6 sneak attack damage, she would gain a attack and damage bonus of +3

Evasion: If you are subjected to an attack that normally allows a Reflex saving throw for half damage, you takes no damage upon a successful saving throw.

Close Combat Shot: The Vanguard canattack with a ranged weapon in a threatened area and not provoke an attack or opportunity.

Fast Movement: At 7th level, a vanguard gains a +10 ft enhancement bonus to her base land speed. At 17th level, this bonus increases to +20 ft.

Improved Uncanny Dodge:You can no longer be flanked, This defense denies the ability to sneak attack the character by flanking her.

Hide in Plain Sight: See PHB(Ranger) / DMG(Shadow Dancer) for details
Usable with concealment , or with shadows

Improved Evasion: When you are subjected to an attack that normally allows a Reflex saving throw for half damage, you take no damage if it is successful, and only half damage if it fails.

Avoid Fire: You gain additional AC if you:
Are concealed
Are in Cover
Are Tumbling through a threatened square

Stunning Shot: As a full round action, you can make a single attack, if it hits, the target must take a Fortitude save (DC 10+1/2 class level+Dexterity modifier), stunning the creature on a failed save. This Attack also gains the benefits of Pin Point Arrow.
Sniper Support: Whenever an ally in LoS gains an attack of opportunity, the initiate can make one ranged attack against the same foe, at his highest attack bonus as a free action. This counts as an Attack of opportunity for the round.
If there would be a range penalty for this attack, then the penalty is multiplied by 1.5.
If you make an attack of opportunity, you may take a 5 ft step.

Traxler Defense: While yielding a ranged weapon, your threat range is increase to 30'. If you make an attack of opportunity, you may take a 5 ft step.

Kane0
2012-01-24, 07:13 PM
I like it, its a good balance of abilities without overpowering one particular aspect.
I may have to defer to a more accomplished Homebrewer about full BAB with d8 HP and 8 skills per level, seems a tiny bit OP with all those nice abilities you have. Maybe tone down HP to d6 or skills to 6 per level, or even both and let the player choose at level one which to improve to d8?

EDIT: Oh, just noticed you missed proficiencies. Could you reformat skills to be up top and put in the proficiencies there with some fluff if your feeling creative?

Myro
2012-01-24, 10:05 PM
I may have to defer to a more accomplished Homebrewer about full BAB with d8 HP and 8 skills per level, seems a tiny bit OP with all those nice abilities you have. Maybe tone down HP to d6 or skills to 6 per level, or even both and let the player choose at level one which to improve to d8?

I agree to some degree, i lowered the skills down to 6+int; I might even tone it down to 4+int...
Although, i based the BAB off of the ranger, same goes with the d8.
For a bit of balance, i lowered the saves (from +12 / +12 / + 6 -> +6 / +12 / +6)

EDIT: Oh, just noticed you missed proficiencies. Could you reformat skills to be up top and put in the proficiencies there with some fluff if your feeling creative?
what do you mean with this, im not understanding...

I like it, its a good balance of abilities without overpowering one particular aspect.
Thanks alot, its my 1st homebrew ever, and i did it while in class :3

I plan on making many more to come, as i feel there are alot of things that could exist, but dont. (Maybe my own book of classes + PrCs?)

Soliloquy
2012-01-24, 10:47 PM
I just have a few things to comment on.
number one, I don't like the RSA progression, and recommend starting at first level and increasing every four levels, to 5d6 at seventeenth level (like a scout or spellthief). Also, if you read the rogue sneak attack description, "Ranged attacks can count as sneak attacks only if the target is within 30 feet." You should probably mention that you are taking that out.
Also, the of two classes this appears to be based on (ranger and rogue) neither has a capstone. I wouldn't mind, but your capstone really doesn't make a lot of sense. If he is making a sneak attack, chances are the opponent can't see you anyway (you can't flank with ranged weapons). So multiplying the precision damage simply because you are dispelling it doesn't make a lot of sense. I think a better capstone might be:
(Impressive Name): Opponents cannot tell where you are shooting from

You might also want an ability to reduce wind penalties.

Possible abilities, rapid shot, rapid reload

Myro
2012-01-24, 11:00 PM
I just have a few things to comment on.
number one, I don't like the RSA progression, and recommend starting at first level and increasing every four levels, to 5d6 at seventeenth level (like a scout or spellthief). Also, if you read the rogue sneak attack description, "Ranged attacks can count as sneak attacks only if the target is within 30 feet." You should probably mention that you are taking that out.
Also, the of two classes this appears to be based on (ranger and rogue) neither has a capstone. I wouldn't mind, but your capstone really doesn't make a lot of sense. If he is making a sneak attack, chances are the opponent can't see you anyway (you can't flank with ranged weapons). So multiplying the precision damage simply because you are dispelling it doesn't make a lot of sense. I think a better capstone might be:
(Impressive Name): Opponents cannot tell where you are shooting from

What about this:
Marked For Death: (Level 10)
You mark a target, granting you Pin Point Arrow to all of your attacks regardless of the round.

Destined For Death: (Level 20)
Insert creative wording
Target: -4 Ac, and your sneak attacks are more potent, dealing d8 instead of d6

These ability's would have some sort of limiting manor, just have decided how to do it yet...

Edit: also, i never planned on removing the 30 feet constraint, i built the character tought (bonus AC, high HD) to accomindate for that.

Kane0
2012-01-24, 11:29 PM
How about threatening everyone within 30ft using a ranged weapon (or just a bow) as your capstone?

I second this.

NeoSeraphi
2012-01-25, 01:14 AM
First of all, I, Seraphi, call upon all the homebrewers who read this thread to please PEACH and help Myro out. This is her first attempt at homebrewing and I want to help her make it a success. If any of you reading this like my classes and enjoy my work, please, as a favor to me, leave a comment and offer some critique.

That said, let me get started with my own PEACH.

Skills: Generally speaking, if you're going to give a class the Survival skill, he gets Knowledge (Nature) as well. Those are as intertwined as Hide and Move Silently.

Improved Initiative: This feature is confusing. Your table describes it with a scaling value of some kind (+1 at 1st level, +2 at 7th, +3 at 13th) but offers no description in the text of any kind of scaling mechanic, or even what the number represents.

Avoid Fire: This feature is useful, but I would extend it to also grant additional AC while you have cover. (Which is kind of like mundane concealment)

Sniper Support: Does this ability allow you to exceed your weapon's range limit? (If the enemy is 90 feet away and you're using a light crossbow, for example, would you still be allowed to attack him with the normal penalties for shooting too far?)

Read the Wind: This needs some serious re-wording. Spell out each specific effect you want to ignore, like wind wall and...hmm...I can't think of another wind-based spell that reflects arrows, off the top of my head.

Traxler Defense: This ability is interesting and useful, though it comes a bit late. Still, this is the area where you get Sneak Attacks, so I guess it's fine.

Now for some broader suggestions:

I really think you should come up with some class features that will help you get Sneak Attack off more reliably. As it is now, you will only deal that extra damage if you act during the surprise round or win initiative, or while you are invisible or hidden. You cannot always count on being in an area with concealment, sometimes you'll be attacked in the middle of a street or an open field where there's nowhere to hide. Your Hide in Plain Sight ability still requires concealment or shadows, rather than functioning anywhere.

There are several ways you can do this:

Any time you confirm a critical hit with a ranged weapon, you add your Ranged Sneak Attack damage to the damage rolls (regardless of whether the target was denied its Dex mod against the crit)

If you Tumble through a creature's threatened square and successfully avoid provoking an attack of opportunity form that creature, that creature is denied its Dexterity modifier to its Armor Class against the next ranged attack you make against it within one round.

Some kind of ability that lets you take a full-round action to fire a single shot which deals normal damage and forces a Fortitude save (DC 10+1/2 class level+Dexterity modifier), stunning the creature on a failed save (Stunned creatures are denied their Dexterity modifiers to AC automatically)

Additionally, you should grant the Rapid Reload feat for free at 1st level. I know you don't plan to use a crossbow in our game, but a class that is completely based on ranged fighting should be fair and help out crossbows to even them out with straight bows.

I think a class-based bonus to Spot checks would be flavorful and appropriate. Perhaps +2 at 4th level, increasing by +2 every 4 levels afterwards, to a total of +10 at level 20?

That's all for now. If you'll excuse me, I'm going to PM this link to a bunch of my friends and get you as much PEACH as I can.

Myro
2012-01-25, 01:53 AM
Pin Point Arrow: On turns when this is used, the range constraint on RSA is removed

Tumbling Arrows: Lvl2 If you tumble through a threatened square (Successfully), gain Pin Point Arrows on all attacks.

Rapid Archery: Lvl 3 gain rapid shot and rapid reload.

Avoid Fire +1 AC: now is effective if you have cover, concealment, or are tumbling.

Improved Initiative: Increases the bonus to initiative by +1 every 6 levels, starting at level one

Stunning Arrow: Lvl 8 Full attack action, Shoots 1 arrow (gaining Pin Point Arrow) with a chance to stun

Sniper Support: 1.5x range penalties when using this.

Read the wind: reworded for clarity

Grod_The_Giant
2012-01-25, 01:55 AM
Hey! Welcome to the wild world of homebrew madness!

Now, this class is... hmm. I guess it's a close-ranged archer? Interesting idea. Let's see what we have.

Pin Point Arrow: During the first round of combat You gain +X to Atk, as well as +X Damage on the first hit.
A useful ability, making sure you hit with your surprise-round sneak attacks.

Ranged Sneak Attack: As Sneak Attack (PHB), but for ranged attacks only.
A ranged sneak attack progression gives us our offensive ability. I assume you're copying the "within 30 feet" rule from the Rogue. The damage is rather low, though-- it maxes out at 6d6, and it's a lot harder to make repeated ranged sneak attacks than it is to make melee ones, since they don't let you flank.

Close Combat Shot: The Vanguard can attack with a ranged weapon in a threatened area and not provoke an attack or opportunity.
Good to have for a class like this. I suppose that means he can use a greatbow or something in melee combat if he wanted.

Avoid Fire: If you are hidden or concealed, you gain additional AC
The bonuses from this ability seem kind of low, and, as NeoSeraphi mentioned, you might want to expand it to include cover. Otherwise... well... it's kind of moot, actually-- if you're hidden, people aren't attacking you to begin with.

Read The Wind: While within 30' of your target, you negate all wind effects.
Useful. Darn near necessary for an archer, in fact.

Sniper Support: Whenever an ally in LoS gains an attack of opportunity, the initiate can make one ranged attack against the same foe, at his highest attack bonus as a free action. This counts as an Attack of opportunity for the round.
This is pretty sweet. Combine it with a spiked chain fighter for many good times. I like it. Comes online somewhat late, though.

Traxler Defense: While yielding a ranged weapon, your threat range is increase to 30'. If you make an attack of opportunity, you may take a 5 ft step.
This is really cool, and opens up all kinds of lovely opportunities. But it seems more like a mid-level ability than a capstone-- those tend to be "golly-gee-wow" powers that reward players for sticking with the class for all 20 levels. Remember that 9th level spells are getting flung around by now, and go wild.

Improved Initiative: Gain Improved Initiative as a bonus feat
Ok, but it apparently scales?

Rapid Fire: Gain Rapid Fire as a bonus Feat
Point Blank Shot: Gain Point Blank Shot as a bonus feat
Nice

Uncanny Dodge: You cannot be caught flat-footed and react to danger before your senses would normally allow you to.
No improved version?

Fast Movement: Increase your speed by indicated amount.
Usable with concealment, or with shadows
Always useful[/QUOTE]

As NeoSeraphi mentioned, the biggest weakness of this class is that it'll have a lot of trouble getting off sneak attacks, and thus, dealing enough damage to contribute to the party. His suggestions are all good; I would add the following ideas:

Give the ability to flank at a range? Perhaps only within 10ft, scaling up as you level?
Add progressive enhancements to the distance at which you can make ranged sneak attacks
The ability to make ranged power attacks
Some more (unspecified) bonus feats-- archery tends to be a pretty feat-intensive combat style
Various abilities that let you trade sneak attack damage die for other effects, such as stunning, crippling, blinding, and so on, to add a little more variety in combat
Move all of the special abilities up a few levels-- they tend to come somewhat later then they really should

Oh, and a side-note? Please don't take this the wrong way, but... ah... a professional appearance goes a long way towards making a good impression, in homebrew as in everything else. It would be super-helpful if you were to take the table, class features, and skills out of the spoiler boxes, present the descriptions of class features in the order that they are gained, flesh out the text of the features to be more explicit... generally, try to copy the formatting from the SRD. It's just one of those little things that makes people more predisposed to like your material-- extra important when you're trying to persuade a DM to let you use it in a game.

Hope this was helpful. Good luck with this class, and everything you do in the future!

Kellus
2012-01-25, 02:17 AM
Hey, this is a pretty neat class that definitely has some potential. Here's some stuff I noticed about it.

• Nice job following the BAB and save guidelines. Everybody trips up the saves the first time, nicely done!

• They probably don't need shields if they're archers, since they have their hands full all the time. Still, could be useful in weird situations. More importantly though, they have proficiency with all exotic ranged weapons. This is kind of bad balance-wise, because there are a ton of weird exotic weapons out there in random splatbooks that you as a designer probably haven't considered. That makes it almost impossible to anticipate what the player is going to have at his disposal. I'd suggest dropping it to all martial ranged weapons, and maybe a few specific exotic weapons that catch your fancy like a greatbow.

• Try to cut down on unneccessary spoilers. There's a fine line between keeping things neat and just making it frustrating to read. If people are looking at the post, it's because they want to see the rules information and the class.

• Class skills should be organised like the classes in the SRD. Note the key skill for Knowledge is (Int), and should be specified which of the 10 Knowledge skills they have access to.

• Try to follow the format of published classes as closely as you can for consistency and ease of use. It's not that one format is better than another, but people expect certain things to be in certain places. It's best to keep consistency so that people will WANT to read your class! :D

• Abilities should be (Ex) for extraordinary, (Sp) for spell-like or (Su) for supernatural. They should be arranged in order that you receive them in the class, and they should list the level that you get them so you don't need to keep doublechecking the table.

• Pinpoint Arrow's text is redundant. It would make more sense to simply say that they gain the bonus on the first successful attack in an encounter. The bonus is also kind of underwhelming considering that it can only be used once per encounter. The rules text for it is kind of clunky with '+X'. It would be more readable to write it as +1, and then simply say that it increases by an additional +1 every whatever number of levels.

• Similarly, avoid things that read something like, 'increase your speed by the indicated amount'. Ideally you want your rules text to stand on its own merits, and be playable by that alone. The class table should be a visual aid and not the actual rules.

• Make sure you understand how tumbling rules work. When you tumble to avoid an AoO, there isn't any AoO that someone has to declare which you are avoiding. You hit the DC and they don't even get a chance to declare. So it's impossible on any given tumble to say if an enemy would have made an AoO against you. Similarly, Avoid Fire doesn't make a lot of sense in this context unless you're saying they gain an AC bonus if they fail to tumble through the square successfully.

• Note that sneak attack by default only works within 30ft. This seems a little small for a class focused on sniping. Raising the limit to 60ft. in exhange for the lack of melee sneak attack seems reasonable.

• Avoid acronyms or fan terminology like 'LoS' in rules text. The goal is to be as precise and unambiguous as possible. Similarly, 'RSA' in the table is kind of frustrating.

• Proofread your document. For example, 'while yielding a ranged weapon' made me chuckle. :)

• Remember that you normally cannot make ranged attacks of opportunity. In order to take advantage of the capstone class feature with anything other than the sniper support class feature, you'll want to give them some way to make ranged AoOs on a regular basis.

• "Rapid Fire" isn't a feat, but "Rapid Shot" is. Remember feats are capitalised.

• Instead of referencing mechanics like Hide in Plain Sight, especially if the material is OGL, just recopy it. It makes the class look much more polished.

• Focus more on innovative or interesting new options with your abilities instead of just static number bonuses. Numeric bonuses are kind of boring, since you don't really get to do anything new that another character couldn't. Think of fun or creative abilities that mesh with the idea of the class and really make it 'feel' like a different character. Come up with tricks for them that will make them feel badass when they pull off, instead of just having bigger numbers on their character sheet.

• Avoid dead levels, which are pretty lackluster. People should be looking forward to getting something new and exciting at every level. Because in a very real sense, they could be spending that level in another class. You need to give them a reason to stick around that isn't just, "look how awesome you'll be next level!"

• Read the wind is an interesting ability, but a little vague. If it applies to all wind, how does it let them shoot through, say, a hurricane that deflects siege boulders? Some rationale or background on the class might be nice to justify this sort of thing. I agree with you that wind is something that must be overcome by an archer class, but it's a little jarring to say, "just because".

All in all, a very good first attempt at a mobilised archer class. Most archer classes seem to focus on staying at a safe distance, which makes them feel very samey and boring. I like that this guy is right in the fray, weaving around and shooting people in the face. But it's a little boring and repetitive, and I think it could be way cooler with some new unique mechanics. Think about the concept and add stuff that would make you go WOW as a player using it!

Good work, and happy homebrewing! :)

EDIT: Some links that might be useful for you:

• A base class-making tutorial (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91264) I wrote to help people, especially with formatting.
• An archer class (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117933) I made at one point. Feel free to mine it for ideas!

Myro
2012-01-25, 02:18 AM
Oh, and a side-note? Please don't take this the wrong way, but... ah... a professional appearance goes a long way towards making a good impression, in homebrew as in everything else. It would be super-helpful if you were to take the table, class features, and skills out of the spoiler boxes, present the descriptions of class features in the order that they are gained, flesh out the text of the features to be more explicit... generally, try to copy the formatting from the SRD. It's just one of those little things that makes people more predisposed to like your material-- extra important when you're trying to persuade a DM to let you use it in a game.

Hope this was helpful. Good luck with this class, and everything you do in the future!
No offense taken, i just thought it looked... cluttery... (thus my professional side thought: BAD KITTY)
But, if thats the standard, then i wont complain :)

Myro
2012-01-25, 02:35 AM
An archer class (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117933) I made at one point. Feel free to mine it for ideas!

Hmm, just reading this made me thing, my class is clear cut. you are X you get X, there is no choice...
I might have to start over from scratch :3

oh, also do you have any good things for finding art... just mass searching of photobucket?

Kellus
2012-01-25, 03:01 AM
Hmm, just reading this made me thing, my class is clear cut. you are X you get X, there is no choice...
I might have to start over from scratch :3

oh, also do you have any good things for finding art... just mass searching of photobucket?

Versatility is good in a base class, because it means not everyone that goes through it ends up the same. It makes the class more applicable to a wider range of characters. Prestige classes on the other hand offer a narrower, more circumscribed focus. Think about the kind of character you want the class to produce, and then expand on that and see where it takes you. Figure out the core idea behind the class and the reason you want to make it in the first place, and your mind will go down interesting paths. :)

That being said, I don't think your class is unsalvageable if that's what you're worried about. You've got some very neat ideas going on here. Expand on them, think up what this character should be doing and find ways to let them do that.

I like to use deviantart, but I usually ask for permission from the artist before using any of their material. Most people I've contacted are perfectly willing to gain exposure to a wider audience from use in something like this. Just be sure to always attribute your art. Plagiarism isn't cool.

Debihuman
2012-01-25, 04:45 AM
First off, welcome. It's never an easy thing to post and wait for critiques. Second, your class is presented clearly and for the most part, cleanly. I always try to be fair when I critique and to offer suggestions when I can.

I see that you gain multiple benefits at a lot of levels. While this isn't necessarily a bad thing, I'd certainly be wary of gaining three items at first level, especially since one of those items is a bonus feat.

I recommend removing the bonus feat, Point Blank Shot. It is a common feat so if you want it, spend your first level feat on it. See rogue for example.

"Improved Initiative" is a feat that gives you a +4 to your initiative. Does the special ability (and perhaps you should consider renaming it to avoid confusion with the feat) stack with the feat? I am always a bit leery of special abilities that do what a feat can do. I think you're better off at gaining the feat as a Special Ability rather than the watered down version that takes up 3 levels.

Pin Point Arrow: Does this ability only work with arrows or with all weapon?. If it is all weapons, you might want to change the name to Pin Point Attack. Again, if you took Weapon Focus as a feat, you'd also gain +1 to hit with a weapon. Does this stack?

Uncanny Dodge at 2nd level seems perfect to me.

Dead levels are never fun for players and having two so close might not be a happy thing.

The rest of my concerns seem to be addressed by others.

It's a nice class, just may need some work. Thanks for sharing.

Debby

Kenneth
2012-01-25, 03:54 PM
overall id say that this class is very balanced.

I have two things to point out.

You give them the ability to make a 5 foot step with an attack of opportunity twice in teh class progression. once with Sniper Support and ocne with th cap stone ability.

as a whole that ability really does not make much sense to me

Im also not really sure what the ablity 'tactical speciality' is.

I LOVE he has debuffing battle attacks, well just one. Stunning SHot. NICE.. you should have aother shots as well. for example Pinning shot. renders target immobilized for 1 round and would be a veyr early one ability like around 4th I would say.

Dazeing shot, same as stun only dazes.. even cooler as less things are immune to daze than they are stunning!

Disarming shot, bleeding shot, etc etc could all be added in as i guess under 'tactical speciality' or even 'combat training'

Myro
2012-01-25, 04:09 PM
overall id say that this class is very balanced.

Im also not really sure what the ablity 'tactical speciality' is.

Sry, i removed the version they were all talking about, and am currently updating with a newer version...
want me to msg you the one they were talking about?

Soliloquy
2012-01-25, 05:48 PM
No improved version?

If there is any class for which being unflankable makes the least sense, that would be the archer

also, i never planned on removing the 30 feet constraint, i built the character tought (bonus AC, high HD) to accomindate for that.

Sorry, as the class had "sniper" in it, I thought it would be a class that hid a ways a way and shot with ranged. That was my Idea for the capstone, sort of like greater invisibility with hiding.

Noctis Vigil
2012-01-26, 12:55 PM
Ah, a first homebrew! I must admit, it came out much better than my first (I still haven't gotten the courage to post that on the forum here). I'll go point by point here.

HD: D8

Average stuff for a ranged combat guy, really. all good.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Vanguard Snipers are Proficient with all ranged weapons, as well as simple melee ones. They are also proficient at wearing light armor, and light shields.

Pretty standard, looks good, although shields for a sniper seems a little odd to me. I like that they get exotic ranged weapons free, thank you for that.

Skills:
6+Int Modifer
Class Skills:
Balance (Dex), Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Escape Artist (Dex), Gather Information (Int), Hide (Dex), Jump (Str), Knowledge ???, Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Ride (Dex), Search (Int), Sense Motive (Wis), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis), Swim (Str), Tumble (Dex), Use Rope (Dex).

OK, this is a nice list of skills. 6+Int is good, makes them a skill monkey light. For Knowledge, I'd give them K(Nature), K(Geography), K(Local), and possibly K(Dungeoneering) if you feel like going all out. All Knowledges are Int based.

Sneak Attack: The Vanguards attack deals extra damage any time her target would be denied their Dexterity bonus to AC, or when the vanguard flanks her target. This extra damage is 1d6 at 1st level, increasing by 1d6 every 3 vanguard levels thereafter to a total of +6d6 at level 16.
Ranged attacks can count as sneak attacks only if the target is within 40 feet.

OK, here's where I have some issues. There's no need to stop the progression at 16th level. I'd give him a seventh die at 19th level, and move Improved Sneak Attack to your dead 17th level. Also, 40 feet? Standard is 30 (this isn't an issue, just pointing it out).

Ranged Flanker: At 2nd level, you are able to flank from a range, starting at 10 ft, and increasing by 5 ft every 3 levels; to a max of 40 ft at level 20.

This is a pretty nice ability. It's not overpowered, though, and you scaled it well to make it balance. Well done.

Honestly, I'd just copy pasta the wording from the PHB on this one.

Tactical Technique At 3rd, 6th, 9th, and 12th, the vanguard may choose one of the following techniques. The same technique can't be taken more than one time.

Ah, pickable like a Rogue, nice. Let's see what we have here...

Bonus Feat: The vanguard receives a bonus feat, You may choose any feet aslong as you meet the prerequisites for it.

Honestly, I'd give the option to take this more than once if someone really wants the bonus feats.

Power Shot: On your turn, before making attack rolls for the round, you may choose to subtract a number from all ranged attacks, and add the same number to all ranged damage rolls.

I'd recommend using the power of copy pasta here and taking the wording from Power Attack directly, changing melee to ranged. As you have it worded, someone could cast True Strike on you at level 20 and you could then subtract 40 from your to-hit and add it to damage at no penalty, stacked on top of your Sneak Attack damage. Either take the wording from Power Attack, or put your own custom limiter on here.

Quick To Act: You are able to take a full turn during a surprise round, If the surprise round is against you then you may only take an standard action. After this, you gain +2 to initiative.

The wording here is a little confusing. Does this grant a permanent, always active +2 to initiative, or only during surprise rounds?

Reader of the Wind: Your attacks are considered siege weapons for determining wind penalties, Furthermore you are able to shoot through windwalls with no penalties.

That's pretty useful, although I would rework it slightly. I suggest just flat out stating wind doesn't effect his projectiles for the first, oh, two range increments. That gives you upwards of 300 feet unaffected by winds with the right build, and makes slightly more sense than letting him shoot over 1000 feet in a hurricane with little to no penalty.

Silent Sniper: If you use the Sniper ability, then you deal an additional 1d6 sneak attack damage. Furthermore, the penalty to hide is reduced by 5 (To -15 from -20).

This leads to the obvious question: where is the Sniper ability? :smallconfused:

Hunter Of Magic: Using a full attack, you grant all of your attacks dispel magic (targeted), using your base attack bonus for each arrow in place of caster level.
ex. a 13th level vanguard (BAB of +13/+8/+3) shoots 3 arrows, having the respective dispel check of +20/+18/+13

This. This is awesome. However, I think you messed up on the example there. Your respective dispel checks would be +23/+18/+13, unless you meant to cap the effect at +20.

Tumbling Shot: During your round, if you tumble through an opponent's threat zone, and successfully avoid an Attack of Opportunity, you then gain extra attack and damage on all attacks, based on how many dice you recieve for sneak attack.

This is interesting, looks balanced.

Stunning Shot: As a full round action, you can make a single attack, if it hits, the target must take a Fortitude save (DC 10+1/2 class level+Dexterity modifier), stunning the creature on a failed save. This attack does extra damage based on how many dice you receive for sneak attacks.

OK, here's where copy pasta could help again. Take the Stunning Fist feat and edit it into a ranged attack for this, because the ability to do this all day long is broken. I'd give it the same limit a Monk gets using the Stunning Fist ability. Also, this should qualify as Stunning Fist for feat prerequisites.

Evasion: If you are subjected to an attack that normally allows a Reflex saving throw for half damage, you takes no damage upon a successful saving throw.

No problems, tasty crunch ability.

Close Combat Shot: The Vanguard canattack with a ranged weapon in a threatened area and not provoke an attack or opportunity.

THANK YOU.

Fast Movement: At 7th level, a vanguard gains a +10 ft enhancement bonus to her base land speed. At 17th level, this bonus increases to +20 ft.

Pretty standard, all's fine here.

Improved Uncanny Dodge:You can no longer be flanked, This defense denies the ability to sneak attack the character by flanking her.

Once again, copy pasta the original here.

Usable with concealment , or with shadows

Copy pasta once again.

Improved Evasion: When you are subjected to an attack that normally allows a Reflex saving throw for half damage, you take no damage if it is successful, and only half damage if it fails.

Pretty standard, moving on.

Avoid Fire: You gain additional AC if you:
Are concealed
Are in Cover
Are Tumbling through a threatened square

Additional AC? Awesome. How much? 2 points? 20? 200? Please specify.

Stunning Shot: As a full round action, you can make a single attack, if it hits, the target must take a Fortitude save (DC 10+1/2 class level+Dexterity modifier), stunning the creature on a failed save. This Attack also gains the benefits of Pin Point Arrow.

Whoa, deja vu. This is already under your Tactical Technique ability. Also, what is Pin Point Arrow?

If there would be a range penalty for this attack, then the penalty is multiplied by 1.5.
If you make an attack of opportunity, you may take a 5 ft step.

One thing: don't abbreviate in a homebrew class. The PEACH and responses can, but it looks unprofessional to have it in your class description.

Now that that's said, this is a good ability; I can see this getting a lot of use. I don't feel that the 5-foot-step bit fits here, though.

This is pretty nice, although I don't think it feels capstone-worthy. And you have the additional 5-foot step in two abilities now, as well.

All in all, it looks good, however I flat out discarded the table when I realized that it doesn't match up with the listed abilities at all. You're really gonna want to fix that ASAP, just for simple readability and overview purposes.

Keep it up, it looks good! I hope my PEACH helps. :smallsmile: