PDA

View Full Version : [Scion] Soak, how to calculate; two options

IdleMuse
2012-01-24, 07:29 PM
Simple question. How do I calculate my Lethal Soak in Scion, out of the two following options.

This example character has no armour, Stamina 4, and Epic Stamina 2

Option 1: Bashing Soak is equal to Stamina (4), plus 2 from Epic Stamina, so total Bashing Soak 6. Lethal Soak is half Bashing Soak (3), plus 2 from Epic Stamina, so total Lethal Soak 5.

Option 2: Bashing Soak is equal to Stamina (4). Lethal Soak is equal to half bashing (2). Epic Stamina adds 2 to each of these, giving total Lethal Soak 4.

My confusion arises from the wording in the book where it specifies your Lethal Soak specifically as half your bashing soak, not half your stamina.

I'm just interested in seeing how people have been playing this; I've always assumed the former, as I've always calculated stats in order (bashing first, then lethal), but some players in my current game have pointed out that it's more common-sense for it to work as in the latter, which I kind of agree with. I'm just not sure the RAW supports that.

Giarc
2012-01-24, 10:16 PM
It is the second option. It is due to lethal soak being calculated as (Stamina/2) + epic stamina bonus soak.

Edit: Actually, it does give this exact example in Scion: Hero on page 74 on the character sheet of Eric Donner.

Selrahc
2012-01-25, 06:41 AM
Yeah, it's the second way.

Just imagine the breakdown later on if Epic Stamina also added Lethal Soak due to halved bashing soak? Stamina 10, Epic Stamina 10 would work out bashing soak as 56, then Lethal soak as 28+46 for a total lethal soak of 74, some 18 points higher than bashing soak. Suddenly bashing becomes *better* at piercing through soak than lethal. Even at the early demigod level Stamina 5, Epic Stamina 4, Lethal soak starts to crawl ahead of Bashing calculated that way(12B13L).

Friv
2012-01-25, 09:49 AM
Scion has a lot of wonky wording. I will chime in with - you definitely use Option 2, or else the game goes to even stranger places than usual.

IdleMuse
2012-01-30, 03:21 AM
Thanks dudes. I'm just gonna cross the word "Bashing" out of "Lethal soak is equal to half bashing" and replace it with "Stamina". Fixed.