PDA

View Full Version : How to hit a target from unlimited range?

Garwain
2012-01-25, 06:42 AM
I want my players to be aware of the fact that the BBEG is keeping an eye on them and make it very uncomfortable. I figured I make a henchmen with the capability of hitting them from unlimited range, no save possible. Doesn't matter how much damage, in fact, just a little sting will do, so that they get tingled once in a while. ECL to be as low as possible as not to outshine the actual BBEG (lvl 10ish for now). All on the same plane for simplicity.

I was thinking of Sonic Snap, casted through a scrying. Can that be done?
Or some form of nightmare that hits regardless of a save...
Or cursing them from afar with a curse that damages them...

Spill your ideas!

Red_Dog
2012-01-25, 07:44 AM
Cragtop Archer Henchman. *EDIT* might not satisfy your level req, but he won't really "outshine" the BBEG

Needs to be at LEAST lvl11 to be cool.

Seven levels of w/e with full BAB and 10 ranks in Climb/Cragtop Archer 4

With your run of the mill Composite long Bow, is 110ft + Range Weapon Master 20ft(PHBII) + Far shot(x1.5) + Distance Weapon (x2.0) + 10 increments of Horizon Shot = 3900 ft. This is done as Full round action and potentially with an aid of a Skrying device[I think there are ways to do it purely thru magic item, I do not know though].

If we want to get a bit sillier, make that also an arching shot with 5850 ft range.

Also remember, if you feeling fancy you can augment this with Psionic/Greater Psionic/Fell shot chain. Its not much, but you make a shot as a touch attack. Don't forget that Soulbows can become Cragtop archers too.

Also don't forget, unless players are in total concealment (like underground or in doors), they can be hit. It makes it kind of cool actually.

P.S. For another mundane solution, search for "Mail man" which is a direct dmg sorc with some silly amount of range. I never build a Mail man, so not sure about him.

TurtleKing
2012-01-25, 08:40 AM
Scrying methods could be done through Malphas Bird's Eye Viewing or one of the Third Eyes. Though this will take some work. Also if you go Ranger a spell could double your either range increment or orange not sure to get closer to 10,000ft. Manage to get it over 12,000ft though will require substantial levels. Also if much higher level either Distant Shot feat or Distant weapon enhancement makes it LoS.

Need_A_Life
2012-01-25, 09:25 AM
I want my players to be aware of the fact that the BBEG is keeping an eye on them and make it very uncomfortable. I figured I make a henchmen with the capability of hitting them from unlimited range, no save possible. Doesn't matter how much damage, in fact, just a little sting will do, so that they get tingled once in a while. ECL to be as low as possible as not to outshine the actual BBEG (lvl 10ish for now). All on the same plane for simplicity.

I was thinking of Sonic Snap, casted through a scrying. Can that be done?
Or some form of nightmare that hits regardless of a save...
Or cursing them from afar with a curse that damages them...

Spill your ideas!

Planar Binding spells could send a steady stream of demons after your enemies, costing only money. Or, Gate, if you're higher level (Circle Magic for CL 40 :smalleek:)

legomaster00156
2012-01-25, 09:56 AM
Well, assuming you want to shoot 'em with an arrow from any place on the planet, all you have to do is get a bow with at least a 15,788,018 ft. range increment. You can go beyond the range increment up to 10 times, which is enough to shoot a circle around the globe. :smallbiggrin:

Psyren
2012-01-25, 10:56 AM
Did the OP specify archery? It seems to me that firing arrows at them from halfway around the world is more silly than frightening.

I'd go with something creepier, like Nightmare, (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/nightmare.htm) or drop some summoned and unwanted visitors in their camp.

Chronos
2012-01-25, 12:28 PM
I was going to suggest Nightmare, too. It does offer a save, but you can hit anyone, anywhere, with it, right out of the box. On the other hand, the fact that you don't need to scry or the like would mean that you're not implying that they're being watched, by using it.

Flickerdart
2012-01-25, 12:36 PM
Well, assuming you want to shoot 'em with an arrow from any place on the planet, all you have to do is get a bow with at least a 15,788,018 ft. range increment. You can go beyond the range increment up to 10 times, which is enough to shoot a circle around the globe. :smallbiggrin:
Since you only really need to shoot in a semicircle, you can halve that.

Suddo
2012-01-25, 12:40 PM
Mindrape a mook to love a party member. And then use a spell from the Book of Vile Darkness (I think) that hurts the one the person loves. I'm pretty sure its no save unlimited range.

Flickerdart
2012-01-25, 12:55 PM
Mindrape a mook to love a party member. And then use a spell from the Book of Vile Darkness (I think) that hurts the one the person loves. I'm pretty sure its no save unlimited range.
Love's Pain. While Mindrape is a little beyond a 10th level character, kidnapping a family member works just as well. For bonus points, don't actually kidnap anyone, just sneak into their homes occasionally and cast it while they sleep. For a lower-level alternative to the Mindrape trick, use Attraction and Aversion to rearrange someone's priorities.