PDA

View Full Version : Hollow's Last Hope

Doombringer
2012-01-25, 01:06 PM
Perched at the edge of civilized lands, the small town of Falcon’s Hollow has always had to rely on itself to solve its problems. Meanwhile,the uncaring lumber barons squeeze the common folk for every last copper, deaf to their
pleas. Now the hacking coughs of the sick are heard throughout town. The plague has come to Falcon’s Hollow and the town’s leaders can’t be bothered to stop it.

I am just letting the PC's explore the town and get familiar with it right now it doesn't look busy due to the reasons above.

Put OOC IN SPOILERS I THINK THAT WORKS BETTER

OOC Thread

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=12713642#post12713642

Windtalker
2012-01-25, 01:34 PM
Atropos would slowly town his pack growing heavy. He had figured that this place was good as any to rest grab a drink or possibly a meal. The town looked rather quiet which was fine with him . Atropos adjusted his weight and looked to move to the nearest tavern. The vale was north of here and that is where he had done much of his hunting. "Well here goes nothing."

Just getting us started

Comissar
2012-01-25, 01:38 PM
Arian gently pulled back on Gertie's reigns, slowing her to a stand still. "Easy girl," he soothed, "time for us to stop."

The cart had just pulled up outside the towns Inn. With luck I might even be able to get directions to the next city. If nothing else it'll be good to sleep under a roof for the night.

Hoping down from the cart lightly, Arian turned his head back slightly and said "Marduke, we've arrived, grab the rope would you? I'd rather not leave Gertie wandering around unattended" before heading to enter the Inn

Prepared spells for today:
Level 0 - Resistance, Dancing Lights, Ghost Sound
Level 1 - 1x Silent Image, 1x Colour Spray

Aewien
2012-01-25, 02:49 PM
Morduke had been lightly dozing when he started awake after feeling the cart slow down and stop. As he got down still a bit groggy he looked around and saw the stable boy. A few swift strides followed by a quick bout of negotiation and Gertie was being stabled.

As he lightly jogged to catch up with Arian, Morduke muttered under his breath just loud enough for Arian to hear but otherwise too quiet to be overheard. "What sort of god forsaken place have you brought us to now. I'd wager there aren't two silver pieces to rub together in this entire town let alone any gold."

Xeno55
2012-01-25, 03:21 PM
Anyika arrives in town and enters the Tavern. She seeks out the bartender or tavern owner.

Hello, I am Anyika, a traveler and priest of Shelyn. I can't help but notice the signs of sickness and the sound of coughing as I move through town. Is there a plague afflicting the town?

She places a coin on the bar and indicates her desire to purchase a meal.

Comissar
2012-01-25, 05:16 PM
"Excuse me? Barkeep? I'd like to pay for a double room for the night along with stabling for my pony, my friend here has taken the pony round to your stable. Would you mind telling me how much that would cost?"

Arian glanced at Marduke, hearing his discontent. "Now Marduke," he whispered, "you should know better than most that you can't judge something by how it looks. Besides, I don't plan on us being here that long, I'm sure it won't be like back in Barrowdown"

As he waits for the barkeep to work out the sum for his services, Arian casually looks around the Inn. Certainly not the most cheerful place we've been to, and did that priestess say something about plague? I think we probably shouldn't hang around too long. A small smile broke on Arian's face, though I suppose a performance might cheer them up a bit.

Doombringer
2012-01-25, 05:34 PM
The tavern is filled with workers from the mills and all look perfectly fine save a few coughs. The bartender looks to you and smiles deeply "New faces have not seen any of those in a while. All of that my fellow is going to be 5 silver pieces." those grey dull eyes lightening up at the prospect of even making a few coins of such an extravagant size. "Welcome to the Chimera's Roost..it is not much but well I like to think it's a decent living."

Samuel then turned to the lass and said "Ahh that well we are having a problem with some sickness something the herbalist in these parts called Blackscour Taint...we all call it Wheezing death..it has claimed so nearly thirty villagers now..who drank from Brookman’s well a small spring at the edge of town."

The Chimera's Roost is a simple tavern formed of wood of deep red cedar and still has the smell of the fresh cut wood inside of it. The tender and owner is a man by the name of Samuel Goodfellow the Roost as it is called has only been in this place for a few years now due to the town being a pit stop for traveling merchants.

Comissar
2012-01-25, 06:14 PM
Arian passed the five silvers over without comment. "I couldn't help overhearing that you're having trouble with an illness, I may be able to help a little in that regard. I'm afraid I'm no healer like madam priest over there," Arian nods at Anyika at this point, "but I do have some skill in the arcane arts and I may be able to help the sickly fight against their affliction a little better than they can currently manage. I'd happily do this for the price of a meal for myself, my travelling companion and my Pony. Tell you what, I'll even throw in a magic show this evening in for free. How does that sound?"

If the barkeep takes Arian up on this offer then he will cast resistance on any who request it to try to help them fight off the sickness via. the improved fortitude save the spell grants.

Aewien
2012-01-25, 07:20 PM
After ordering a drink Morduke listened for a while. As soon as he finished his drink Morduke approached a group that were just that right level of tipsy. Faking the appropriate worry as best he could he said "I'm up these parts visiting family when I heard about the wheezing death. Is it serious? I'm ever so worried."

Bluff check: [roll0]

Grytorm
2012-01-25, 07:41 PM
Gerund sits at the bar as well, attempting to brood. He stands up, a little giddy from his drinks and says, "Has anyone dared to find the source of this corruption... um, well. Well heh heh. I could try to, I hope somebody does something about it. It is kind of a terrible thing. If I could do anything I would." Gerund looks around again and sits down.

Xeno55
2012-01-25, 09:46 PM
What a remarkable group of travelers to arrive all at more or less the same time, all with an interest in the sickness afflicting the town.

I propose that we introduce ourselves and then collaborate on ending the plague afflicting this unfortunate town.

As for myself I am Anyika a priestess of Shelyn. I felt a calling to come to this poor town, although I know not what my god intends, or why I was sent.

My intentions are to consult the local herbalist, and then investigate Brookman's Well.

Kymme
2012-01-25, 09:54 PM
Mathias enters the tavern, pushing the door open. He is the image of a flamboyant mage, with a pointy violet hat, purple robes--tied at the waist with a rope belt--, a gnarled walking stick, and hornrimmed spectacles sitting on his long nose. While he may only be half the height of a man, his enormous hat almost doubles his height. He adjusts his spectacles then, oblivious to everyone else in the tavern, walks over to an emplty table, puts a cushion on the bench, and sits down. Finally, a place to rest my legs. He pulls a small journal and inkpen out of his side pouch, then sets the journal down on the table. He chews on the pen in deep thought for a few moments, and then begins to write, seeming to scribbe down words on the page.
Mathias Tulkers Journal, Entry 493.5
*Current Date*
Well then. Today started off uneventful enough. I woke up at dawn, dismissed Grubble from his position (good boy, that drake), an then started walking.
Towards 9 o'clock I caught sight of a wolf! A bloody wolf, I say! I was sure the beast was out for my blood, so, in my quick thinking, I scrambled up the nearest tree, where hopefully, the beast couldn't follow. The wolf circled around the tree, like a megaladon circling a galleon, until eventually, he lost intrest and departed. Thank the gods!
Shortly after the wolf incident, I cought sight of a village by the name of Falcon's Hollow. Upon seeing the sign, i thought to my self, who on earth is Falcon? Just then, a bloody falcon came swooping from the sky! From the bloody sky, I say! I was sure the beast would snach me up and have me for lunch, so I dropped to the ground, wishing that Grubble was with me. Then the beast seemed to loose intrest and swooped off to an unknow locale.
After that, I quickly made my way to the town, keeping my head down, lest the falcon come again. In this village, however, there seemes to be something ailing the populous. It seems as if over one third of the entire town is infected with a plague. BLOODY PLAGUE, I SAY! I kept my distance from the zombies-to-be and took shelter in a tavern, by the name of the Chimera's Roost. I hope to the gods that the owner of this tavern doesn't see fit to make an entrance....

Comissar
2012-01-26, 11:54 AM
A broad grin crosses Arian's face, he bows low to Anyika. "A most excellent idea my dear, I myself am Arian Droshvell, student of the Arcane and ex-performer for Trelvan's Tremendous Travelling Troupe."

Arian straightened up again, the smile still on his face, "Perhaps you have heard of the troupe? I would be honoured to assist you in investigating the source of this sickness. However," his face takes on a more serious set, "I'm afraid I must be pragmatic as well. I do not wish to catch the plague, nor do I wish to tarry here for too long. If I am to help in this matter then I will have to ask for a degree of compensation for my trouble."

Windtalker
2012-01-26, 02:39 PM
Atropos walks in and looks about before nodding to the tender. He then moved to have a seat at the closest table eyes scanning the area that massive falchion adjusted to make sitting a bit more comfortable. "Tender when you have a moment I would like to purchase a drink." He then saw a few faces he hasn't in the area and shrugged must have been travelers.

Just listening to conversation in the tavern.

Doombringer
2012-01-26, 02:45 PM
The bartender laughed a bit and said "A bit of entertainment would be well appreciated you have a deal...but you best deliver." He then saw the young lady speaking of trying to find a cure to the problem. "Well I wish you luck but the only person who could even offer you a reward might be the lumber barons but good luck getting a reward out of that bunch." He scowled "They care about two thing production and profit...let the weak die they say." He then turned toward the fellow that just entered and said 'One ale coming up..and your meals will be out shortly."

Windtalker: You hear talk of trying to cure the plague.

OOC I have to go to work will post more shortly.

Comissar
2012-01-26, 02:55 PM
"Thankyou kindly, I promise that we shall not dissapoint you. I'll just be sitting over here, give me a call when the meals are ready."

With that, Arian turned back to Anyika and said "Would you care to sit with Morduke and myself? Food always tastes better with fine company."

Hoping down from the bar, he then weaved between the tables to get to where Morduke was sitting. Pausing to pull up a chair, he whispered "We're going to do a show tonight for these folk, they look like they could use some cheering up"

Kymme
2012-01-26, 06:09 PM
Mathias finishes writing in his journal and looks up. A look of supprise crosses his face as he notices for the first time that there are other people in the tavern. A look of absolute terror then mars his face, having noticed the tavern full of burly, serious looking humans. He then brings his gaze over to the other newcomers, and his expression brightens considerably. He steps down from the bench, and takes his cushion. He dusts of the cushion and puts it in his pack. Then, he strides over to Morduke and Arian. Excuse me, my fine gentlemen, but may I join you? This town seems to be having some problems, and I belive I may be of assistance.

Comissar
2012-01-26, 06:23 PM
Arian looks up, surprised to see the Gnome standing there. "Of course, of course! The more the merrier! And I must say, it's nice to see somebody of normal size once in a while. My name is Arian Droshvell, and this is my close friend Morduke. Might I inquire who you are?"

Kymme
2012-01-26, 06:40 PM
A grin crosses Mathias' face. Well my word! Where are my manners? Mathias goes into an elaborate bow, taking off his enormous hat in one gracefull motion.Matt Tulker, Conjurer Extrordinaire, at your service! Mathias pulls out a cushion, sets it down on the chair, then sits down.

Grytorm
2012-01-26, 07:53 PM
Gerund moves from seat to seat approaching the growing group, "I'm Gerund Scop, equestrian errant. I would rather like to join in this endeavor. Questing and all that. Umm, you know."

Windtalker
2012-01-26, 08:39 PM
Atropos could not help but over here the conversation of people going to seek out the herbalist and solve this issue. "Well if you are going to treck in the woods or around this area...I know the vale like the back ofr my hand." Atropos then moved over looking to the others the half blooded elf covered in sunburt tattoos making him look somewhat wild and exotic. "So count me in if you have room for another."

Xeno55
2012-01-26, 08:58 PM
A broad grin crosses Arian's face, he bows low to Anyika. "A most excellent idea my dear, I myself am Arian Droshvell, student of the Arcane and ex-performer for Trelvan's Tremendous Travelling Troupe."

Arian straightened up again, the smile still on his face, "Perhaps you have heard of the troupe? I would be honoured to assist you in investigating the source of this sickness. However," his face takes on a more serious set, "I'm afraid I must be pragmatic as well. I do not wish to catch the plague, nor do I wish to tarry here for too long. If I am to help in this matter then I will have to ask for a degree of compensation for my trouble."

Anyika smiles:

A pleasure to meet you, I would love to join you. And do introduce your friends. I should be equally honored to have your assistance investigating the plague. I find the rewards of such good work deeply gratifying if often intangible in material terms. And I can see in your eyes a yearning for such adventure, regardless of mundane material considerations.

Kymme
2012-01-26, 09:58 PM
Mathais glances up at the newcomer. My dear lady, a pleasure to meet you, I am Matt Tulker, Conjurer Extrodinaire! He then looks around at everyone, then pulls out his journal and jots down a few lines. Then, he looks up. Well then, now that we have some help, perhaps we could get a move on and save this village. He glances around again. Or at least help somewhat.

Xeno55
2012-01-26, 10:52 PM
GM: Anyika is ready to move out to visit the herbalist as soon as she has eaten, and as soon as the GM is ready to move that part of the adventure along. Any who wish to accompany her are welcome.

Yes, now that we have eaten, let any who are interested accompany me to visit the herbalist.

Doombringer
2012-01-26, 10:58 PM
The food is served and you all get your drinks. The tender lets you all talk and discuss the process you will take to try and rid the place of the plague. The herbalist you come to find out has tried many herbs to relieve the symptoms but none yet have succeeded.

Move as you see fit.

Comissar
2012-01-27, 03:10 AM
"Well then I believe that's settled. I do however have one request, we will need to be back by the evening. I've promised these fine folk a performance this night and I'll need time to prepare for it, after that I'll be happy to help you however I can. What do you say Morduke?"

Xeno55
2012-01-27, 08:28 AM
some sickness something the herbalist in these parts called Blackscour Taint...we all call it Wheezing death..it has claimed so nearly thirty villagers now..who drank from Brookman’s well a small spring at the edge of town." [/SPOILER]

After questioning the herbalist, and determining that there is nothing more to be learned; Anyika heads out to Brookman's well to investigate, with all who care to accompany her. Hopefully the party will through divination spells and knowledge skills be able to unravel some of the mystery.

Comissar
2012-01-27, 09:21 AM
Arian stood up, pushing the empty plate away from him. "Well, I at least am ready to meet this herbalist and see what they have to say on the matter"

After questioning the herbalist, and determining that there is nothing more to be learned; Anyika heads out to Brookman's well to investigate, with all who care to accompany her. Hopefully the party will through divination spells and knowledge skills be able to unravel some of the mystery.

I just want to say that this is rushing things to a huge degree. I don't mind if we cut back on the roleplay a little if you want to speed stuff up, but I can't help feeling that this is a bit overboard.

Doombringer
2012-01-27, 02:00 PM
Creeping ivy and full window boxes cover the facade of the rugged-looking, two-story shop bearing the faded sign “Roots and Remedies.” A line of twenty-some somber townsfolk—some with pale, wheezing children, others seeming to be precipitously near tears—stretches from the open door.

Windtalker
2012-01-27, 04:00 PM
Atropos looked to the line of people and frowned. "Well we best get in line hmm?"He placed himself in line to do just that the people before him had every right to see the herbalist. The line looked rather long so he knew he might be here a while. He looked to the others "Well let us see..the woman is very busy so we should maybe think of question we want to ask."

Comissar
2012-01-27, 04:11 PM
"I completely agree, these folk have every right to speak to their herbalist. I believe the most important things we could know right now are when this plague began, where the first person fell sick and how infectious it is. Once we know that, we may be able to work out the source."

Windtalker
2012-01-27, 04:27 PM
"I see well I recall the tavern owner over at the Roost.." Atropos looked to the fellow and smiled. "Did he not say something about it affecting those who drank from a well or something ?" Atropos then stepped to the side letting him in front of the line seeming how he was probably better equipped to speak to the woman. "I would also wager we should not come in as outsiders asking questions..perhaps maybe purchase something butter her up?"

Grytorm
2012-01-27, 04:33 PM
Gerund looks over the line, trying to get a glimpse of the inside of the shop, he turns to his companions and says, "Although we already know something. That well the innkeeper mentioned seems to be important. Perhaps we should return later when hopefully these poor people will have cleared out."

Xeno55
2012-01-27, 04:43 PM
Arian stood up, pushing the empty plate away from him. "Well, I at least am ready to meet this herbalist and see what they have to say on the matter"

I just want to say that this is rushing things to a huge degree. I don't mind if we cut back on the roleplay a little if you want to speed stuff up, but I can't help feeling that this is a bit overboard.

I have no objection to what you are saying, I misunderstood an earlier post to mean that we had already spoken with the herbalist. And I favor having roleplay discussion continuing simultaneously with the narrative moving ahead.

Anyika speaks with the people in line, gathering information about symptoms. She is happy to wait for the herbalist to finish treating the sick before discussing the situation with him or her.

Doombringer
2012-01-27, 10:54 PM
The smell of burnt earth and spicy incense chokes the air of the cramped, mud-tracked shop. Bunches of dried herbs hang from the ceiling, along with dangling pots, presses, alchemical apparatuses, and glassware of more arcane purposes. Pouches of rare plants, jars of colored glass, and all manner of dried, preserved, and jellied animal parts fill high shelves and tables doing double duty as displays and workspaces. In the shop’s rear, a rail-thin woman with severe-looking spectacles and hair pulled back tightly busies herself between an overpacked rack of herbs, a table covered in stray powders and measuring equipment, and a pot loudly bubbling over with thick gray froth. Over the din of her work and without looking up,the woman impatiently shouts, “And what’s your problem?” The PCs are free to converse with Laurel.

Xeno55
2012-01-27, 11:09 PM
Anyika:

I am Anyika, I am pleased to meet you. I and some of my friends have taken it upon ourselves to investigate this horrible illness afflicting so many folks here. I was hoping you could tell us more of this illness - signs, symptoms and treatment, and anyway you see that we can help.

If a diplomacy roll is needed [roll0]

I am sure the others have questions for you as well.

Comissar
2012-01-28, 03:49 AM
"If you could tell us when and where it started, that may also prove useful. Seeing as you're so busy, we'll try not to be in your way for too long."

Diplomacy Roll for me [roll0]

Kymme
2012-01-28, 05:47 PM
Mathias does an elaborate bow, sweeping his hat from his head. My dear lady, I am Mathias Tulker. He looks around her store, and studdies her wares.
Search Check to look for any items of value or significance. [roll]1d20+5 Diplomacy to aid another on Anyika

Grytorm
2012-01-28, 09:28 PM
"We just want to help ma'am. Sorry if we seem rude or weird. Don't worry about the gnome, I think he does that a lot." Gerund says, hoping that Mathias would not take offense.

Doombringer
2012-01-28, 11:10 PM
"It started at the Brookman's Well the spring close to here and I am not sure when..." :She then looked to the others "What is your problem or illness did someone get the Blackscour taint you know?"

Xeno55
2012-01-28, 11:21 PM
Anyika:

I do not believe any of us are ill, and we are just recently arrived in town, but for myself I feel for those who suffer and am angered by the ugliness of this disease and would do what I could to end this plague.

Kymme
2012-01-28, 11:52 PM
Upon hearing Gerunds comment, Matt turns around, one eyebrow raised and looks at him quizzically. My dear Master Gerund, you seem to have a problem with my outward formality. Don't worry though, I don't take offense. :smalltongue:
Diplomacy aid another from last post [roll0]

Grytorm
2012-01-29, 03:49 PM
"That could explain why my decisions keep leading to disaster."

Windtalker
2012-01-29, 09:12 PM
"I have a few questions...the first being what exactly is blackscour...and what exactly is the blackscour taint or wheezing death." Atropos waited before saying. "and the most importantly is there any cure." He adjusted his gear again and waited for the woman to process everything.

Doombringer
2012-01-29, 09:18 PM
She looked to the one Atropos asking the slew of question and sighed "All right since you are so interested and not going to buy anything."

What is blackscour? “Just a fungus that’s not good for anything. Hard, bitter, and sharp, it likes the water and gets you sick if you drink it down. Never heard of it growing around these parts, though, until now.”

What is blackscour taint? “It’s a sickness, almost like any other, but you get the mold growing in you. It starts eating away in your chest and belly and is damned determined to stay. Your body near turns itself inside out trying to hack the stuff up, but all that does is cuts your guts up… bad.”

She looked to the others..."As far as a cure...well." She sighed “Not around here. I’ll get these folks what I can and we’ll see what good it does.”

Grytorm
2012-01-30, 12:10 AM
Gerund frowns at the description of the disease, glad that he had been convinced to talk to the herbalist before going off to the well, "Do people ever get better? It sounds nasty, although it could be much worse."

Comissar
2012-01-30, 04:48 AM
Arian fidgeted a little, uncomfortable at hearing such grim news. "Is it contagious?"

Xeno55
2012-01-30, 07:21 AM
Anyika:

Is there any specific method to getting rid of this fungus? Does it burn, or require some other kind of special attack? How will we recognize it when we see it?

Doombringer
2012-01-30, 06:50 PM
"It is a fungus my friend..it is easily killed we have done away with it but the damage has been done nearly thirty villagers are sick with the taint several more think they may have it."

She looks to Arian and Gerund "No it is not contagious unless you ingest it through water or food..so someone with it can't give it to you....and better no people are dying daily..."

The real issue is that we have never seen it here until recently...

Windtalker
2012-01-30, 06:53 PM
You said there is no cure for it around here would there be another place we could find the cure? Atropos then looked to the others thinking "If it is in the forest I can get us there we could help these people. I think we owe them that much for the genrousity." He then took a step back to lean against a wall the standing around not typical for him.

Kymme
2012-01-30, 08:29 PM
Mathias looks up from the jar of eyes he was looking at and turns around. Excuse me, Miz, but do you have anything that could help us save this town. He looks around and mutters something under his breath, taking out his journal as he does so. He then starts to write in it vigourously.
Perception to look for anything of actual value [roll0]
Knowledge Arcana to itentify anything [roll1]

Doombringer
2012-02-01, 08:27 PM
“My grandmother’s book has a brew in it that says its good for this kind of thing. A weird concoction that sounds more like hoojoo than real medicine.” She looked to Mathias saying "I have most of the roots but three I do not. Elderwood moss, which I’ve never heard of, but granny says the stuff only grows on the oldest tree in a forest. A specially pickled root called rat’s tail, again, sounds like hoojoo to me. And seven ironbloom mushrooms, stunty little things that only grow in dark places thick with metal, a favorite among dwarves, or so I hear.”

Grytorm
2012-02-01, 10:04 PM
"That is something at least, what does the fungus look like anyways?"

Xeno55
2012-02-01, 11:13 PM
“My grandmother’s book has a brew in it that says its good for this kind of thing. A weird concoction that sounds more like hoojoo than real medicine.” She looked to Mathias saying "I have most of the roots but three I do not. Elderwood moss, which I’ve never heard of, but granny says the stuff only grows on the oldest tree in a forest. A specially pickled root called rat’s tail, again, sounds like hoojoo to me. And seven ironbloom mushrooms, stunty little things that only grow in dark places thick with metal, a favorite among dwarves, or so I hear.”

Anyika will test her memory for knowledge of elderwood moss, rat's tail and ironbloom mushrooms.

knowledge history[roll0]
knowledge planes[roll1]

Perhaps we could help by searching for these items. Could you give us any suggestions as to where to look?

Doombringer
2012-02-02, 01:40 PM
“Well, for the elderwood mold,
there’s gotta be an oldest tree in the vale.
Damned if I know where it is, though.
“The rat’s tail and mushrooms are even
longer shots. Way north, toward the mountains,
people say there used to live a bunch
of dwarves. They’re not there anymore,
but I’d bet their forges are. If you can find
ironbloom anywhere around here, that’d be
your best bet.
“As for the rat’s tail, who knows? Well.
Actually. Ulizmila, the witch that lives deep
in the woods might. She’s a crafty, mean
thing that knows all sorts of strangeness.
She might even have one. I don’t know what
she might want for it, but I doubt it’d come
cheap. My grandmother traded her sight to
the old crone for a few pages of what she
knew, and that was years and years back, and
I don’t know a soul who got any nicer as they
got older.”

Windtalker
2012-02-02, 01:50 PM
"Eldest tree you say?" Atropos had traveled through the area of the vale once or twice and decided to try and draw of his knowledge of the wilderness to see if he could remember anything. "The elderwood mold is there perhaps that would be a good place to start would you not say Anyika?"

Knowledge Nature
[roll0]

Xeno55
2012-02-02, 02:39 PM
That makes sense to me Atropos, especially if you have an idea where to find this eldest tree. I am prepared to follow you there.

Comissar
2012-02-02, 03:44 PM
"Very well Atropos, lead the way, let's see what we can do about this dreadful sickness."

Apologies for the lack of activity, I've been a bit busy with University work

Grytorm
2012-02-02, 10:07 PM
"Should we take a look at the well first?"

Doombringer
2012-02-03, 12:57 AM
The PC'S may move as they like the day is getting late however.

Xeno55
2012-02-03, 07:21 AM
The well must be close by, I propose we visit it on the way to the woods. I also propose that Atropos lead us for the time being, as he seems to know something of these forests.

OOC:What Anyika means is lets let the GM assume we physically follow Atropos, rather than needing to hear from all six of us every time there is a question as to which direction the party is proceeding. Obviously the GM would still need to hear from all of us if there is an encounter of any type.

Doombringer
2012-02-03, 04:38 PM
That is fair enough but if they wish to rp then by all means while we move along.

Atropos you know that the largest tree is suppose to be you also know you will not be able to reach it tonight.

The rest of you know that the lumber consortium might have some more answers for you as well.

Windtalker
2012-02-04, 01:13 AM
Atropos looks to the other and says "I remember where the old tree is..it is at least a couple hundred years old." He looked at the door saying "We could check out the well and bed down for the night...we won't make it there tonight or anywhere even close." Atropos would then turn toward the door after offering the woman a gold coin for her help and be off to the well.

Doombringer
2012-02-04, 10:07 PM
The rest of the party can talk or ask more questions or follow Atropos.

Xeno55
2012-02-04, 11:09 PM
Anyika follows Atropos.

Grytorm
2012-02-05, 12:48 AM
As he steps out of the shop Gerund says, "Finally"

Comissar
2012-02-05, 12:52 PM
"If we are to travel then please allow me to fetch Gertie, she would be most useful in allowing me to keep up with you tall folk."

Arian heads back to the stables to fetch his pony and cart for the journey.

Arian will take Gertie the Pony and his cart to travel with rather than walking.

Doombringer
2012-02-05, 01:57 PM
The party proceeds to the well. The well looks as a small pond nothing that stands out is around the area the herbalists Laurel told you that they had already moved the deadly mold from the area. Several foot prints surround the area but none which look overly odd.

Comissar
2012-02-05, 02:25 PM
Arian walks up to the well and peers down, trying to see if he can spot anything.

Roll for perception - [roll0]

Aewien's said that he's simply not got time to continue with this game and asked me to let you know he's going to have to drop out

Doombringer
2012-02-05, 02:41 PM
Okay sorry to hear that we still have
Atropos - Ranger
Anyika - Cleric
Gerund - Cavalier
Arian- Forgot your class know your a caster I believe.

Mathias - haven't heard from him in a while

Xeno55
2012-02-05, 02:42 PM
Anyika searches the area.

[roll0]

Grytorm
2012-02-05, 09:02 PM
Gerund gazes into the pool, after a minute he finishes his water skin and reaches down to fill it from the well. Then he lifts it up and smells it before putting it away.

Kymme
2012-02-05, 10:30 PM
Mathias goes to the well with everyone else. When they get there, Mathias turns to everyone. Friends, please allow me to conjure a bit of assistance.
Matt clasps his hands together and does a small bow. Then the yellow stars on his hat start to glow, and with a belch of smoke, a dragon stands in front of him. A huge smile creases Matt's face and he bear hugs the dragon, which stands about as tall as he does.
Well, not so much a dragon as a large scaly ball with a large gaping maw and puppy dog eyes. The dragon flaps its diminutive wings and barks a greeting. GRUBBLE GRUB!! Then, at a hand gesture from Matt, turns around and begins to sniff the ground. Mathias turns around. My friends, this is my companion, Grubble. He will be assisting us in our ventures.
[roll0] Perception for Grubble

Windtalker
2012-02-05, 11:38 PM
Atropos looked to the others and then said bluntly "We will need to stay in town and start out in the morning.. the tree is a days travel from here at the least." Atropos then knelt by the water inspecting it. "We do not need to move into the Dark Vale at night especially if we expect foul play in this plague."

Doombringer
2012-02-05, 11:42 PM
You find nothing out of place at the Well after a few hours of searching. It really does seem to have been fixed of any problems.

Windtalker
2012-02-06, 11:38 PM
(Just making sure everyone still is with us seems to be moving slow. i am going to have Atropos go to the tavern and sleep so they can get to the tree and move the game on.)

Doombringer
2012-02-06, 11:41 PM
Sounds good.

Xeno55
2012-02-07, 07:41 AM
Anyika continues to follow Atropos.

Comissar
2012-02-07, 11:06 AM
Arian guides Gertie back to the stables safely and thanks the stable boys for their efforts. Turning to Matthias he says "That was an interesting piece of magic you performed there, I'd be interested to hear the tale behind it."

Kymme
2012-02-07, 06:17 PM
Matt smiles, patting Grubble on the head. Well, my dear friend, you just might hear it.
Don't worry, story time is coming up. Also, IM BACK BABY!!

Doombringer
2012-02-07, 08:55 PM
The players are free to do as they will. I am going to assume that they bed down for the night and make there way to the tree in the morning. PCS if you want to do anything extra or buy some supplies for the journey speak now or hold your peace.

Xeno55
2012-02-07, 09:03 PM
Anyika will buy 20 iron rations and fill some canteens with clean water.

Grytorm
2012-02-07, 10:58 PM
Gerund spends some time with his horse before buying rations as well, preferably something palatable.

Windtalker
2012-02-08, 11:27 PM
Atropos goes to the shop and buys a few rations before heading to the tavern to purchase a room to bed down for the night. "Going to be a long day tomorrow I hope I can keep everyone alive and well ." He then drifts off to sleep to be well rested for the day.

Doombringer
2012-02-08, 11:31 PM
DAY 2

The PCS wake up to the early sun the sky is clear and the day looks fit for travel. Please take your actions when ready.

Comissar
2012-02-09, 03:18 AM
Arian wakes a little earlier than everyone else so that he can begin to prepare his spells. He sits crosslegged on the floor of his room, arms resting in his lap with his ring removed from his finger. On the floor in front of him lies his open Spellbook with the ring resting in the fold between the two open pages. Once he finishes, he takes the ring and puts it back on his finger before heading downstairs to meet with everyone else.

Spells for today:

Detect Magic x1
Dancing Lights x1
Ghost Sound x1
Silent Image x1
Colour Spray x1

Xeno55
2012-02-09, 11:25 AM
Anyika prays for her usual spells, and is ready to follow Atropos into the woods.

Windtalker
2012-02-09, 07:47 PM
Atropos was up with the morning and ordered the group a big hearty breakfast. He would sit and eat his fill before looking to those who came down . "I would suggest you eat while you can we will be traveling a good way today." He himself then moved to check his supplies noticing he forgot to buy a good rope. "I will meet you all outside at the herbalist shop we will depart from there."

Doombringer
2012-02-09, 09:17 PM
Just waiting on the other PC's if no post by tomorrow. We will proceed.

Kymme
2012-02-09, 09:43 PM
Matt wakes up, stretches, and writes the past days events in his journal. He then prepares spells. After that, he summons Grubble, and then goes to join his friends. As soon as everyone is together, he heads out for the Tree.

Grytorm
2012-02-10, 09:43 AM
Gerund eats breakfast, buys a bottle of wine, and takes his horse to the herbalists store.

Doombringer
2012-02-10, 06:06 PM
As the party makes there way out into the forest they run into little trouble. They soon see a large outcropping of rocks with an unusual glow under them. The day is still early but the thick of the forest seems to block out most of the light making it hard to see.

If you do not have low light vision it is getting difficult to see.

Xeno55
2012-02-10, 06:21 PM
Anyika casts light on her shield.

Kymme
2012-02-10, 07:53 PM
Matt squints at the darkness, looking to delve it's depths with his sight. Grubble observes his master, then peers into the dark, mimicking him.
[roll0] Perception for Matt
[roll1] Perception for Grubble

Grytorm
2012-02-11, 01:32 PM
Gerund steps forward and loosens his sword and prepares a Javelin looking ahead for anything dangerous.

Grytorm
2012-02-11, 01:35 PM
[roll0]
It might be kind of nice to have an OOC thread.

Comissar
2012-02-11, 01:36 PM
"Steady on my friends, I have just the spell prepared for us to safely examine this."

Weaving his hands about in front of him and muttering under his breath, Arian causes four lights to flash into existence around him. He send these to illuminate the glowing rock a little better.

Casting Dancing Lights to create four lights of equivalent brightness to a torch, sending these to light up the outcrop whilst keeping back. Refreshing the spell as needed.

Comissar
2012-02-11, 01:37 PM
[roll0]
It might be kind of nice to have an OOC thread.

I'd like to agree with this

Windtalker
2012-02-11, 08:10 PM
Atropos moved over to the rocks and slowly bent down to grab check out the glowing objects. He figured it was possibly a fungus or mold but took out his falchion just in case. "What do we have here?"

Just trying to find out what it is.

Doombringer
2012-02-11, 08:11 PM
The fungus under the rocks is glowing and one can see that it lights the area like that of a sunrod.

Atropos make a Survival Check please.

You guys are more than welcome to start an OOC thread.

Windtalker
2012-02-12, 02:20 PM
[roll0]

Survival

Doombringer
2012-02-12, 02:23 PM
You pick a little of the fungus and notice that it is the rare Glowmold. You can harvest enough of this to make a very reliable light source that will last for days.

Xeno55
2012-02-12, 02:33 PM
Nice work Atropos!

Doombringer
2012-02-13, 02:54 PM
You guys wanted an OOC thread see spoiler below.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=12713642#post12713642

Windtalker
2012-02-13, 03:03 PM
"Thank you lady Anyika" he then looked to her and smiled "This should serve as a good light source for the rest of the day .... maybe even longer than that." Atropos then moves slowly away from the rock outcropping and toward the direction the group needed to be. "I would be on a look out now friends many things wander in these woods."

Kymme
2012-02-13, 11:55 PM
Good work, my friend! Now then, Grubble, you watch out, and keep your senses alert. Grubble replies: GRUBBLE GRUB! then fixes his beady eyes on the trail ahead.

Grytorm
2012-02-15, 12:12 AM
"It is really such an odd creature. I think I much refer horses."

Doombringer
2012-02-15, 02:38 AM
The road continues to bend around the forest before it all but disappears. The forest is to quiet eerily so. The group then smells the stench of death and suddenly a small rotting creature appears before them with a wooden plank upon it. The creature looks thoughtless but slowly starts moving toward Atropos.

Initiatives...and go ahead and post your actions I will fix them accordingly.

Initiative [roll0]

Comissar
2012-02-15, 03:43 AM
Arian had never seen the like of this before. What is it? A walking corpse? I'm sure I've heard something about this before...

Initiative - [roll0]

Arian will make a knowledge check to see if he can work out what the creature is (I'm working on the assumption that it'd be knowledge Arcana)

Knowledge check - [roll1]

Xeno55
2012-02-15, 07:23 AM
Anyika will hold her action until after that of the creature. She will also use her knowledge of religion to try to identify the creature.

Initiative:[roll0]

Knowledge, Religion:[roll1]

Doombringer
2012-02-15, 06:15 PM
The creature is clearly a zombie and looks to have been a kobold. The sign he is wearing appears to say something in an odd language.

If anyone speaks Draconic please let me know.

Windtalker
2012-02-15, 06:20 PM
Atropos wasted little time thinking the creature looked like it was trying to rip his body to pieces so he charged that falchion in both hands. "Die you blight upon the natural world!" Atropos swung in a overhand chop trying to slice the thing from stem to sternum.

Initiative
[roll0]

Attack
[roll1]

Confirm Critical
[roll2]

Damage
[roll3]

Xeno55
2012-02-15, 06:22 PM
Anyika, alas, does not speak draconic.

Grytorm
2012-02-15, 08:48 PM
"Back foul brute!" Gerund shouts sword drawn and swinging mightily.

Move and draw the Greatsword then power attack on the Zombie
Initiative [roll0]
Attack [roll1]
Damage [roll2]

Kymme
2012-02-15, 11:38 PM
Matt shouts: Grubble, sick him! He then adds: If you would be so kind. Grubble nods at his master, then chomps at the zombie, small sparks flying from his mouth.

Inititive [roll0]
Attack for Grubble [roll1]
Damage [roll2] and [roll3] Fire

Doombringer
2012-02-16, 09:24 PM
The creature is cut to ribbons and fried crispy before it even gets close to any of the group. it seems luck is on your side for now. The PC's may continue as they wish.

Everyone earns 50 xp each.

Windtalker
2012-02-16, 10:38 PM
Atropos looked to the creature and shook his head. "Well now we should continue quickly before more of those come and find us." He looked out through the forest his falchion covered in blood. "Unless you want to look it over once quickly for clues."

Grytorm
2012-02-16, 11:36 PM
Gerund bends down to wipe his sword before taking a quick look at the creature. "Didn't seem dangerous at all really."

Comissar
2012-02-17, 05:46 AM
"Excellent work, I apologise for not being much use but my magic is best employed on those who could actually be confused by it."

Doombringer
2012-02-19, 01:51 AM
The group may take what ever actions they like.. Just let me know what you would like to do with the kobold body .

Sorry for the delay I was super busy last night.

Xeno55
2012-02-19, 07:38 AM
Anyika will search the kobold's body.

Grytorm
2012-02-19, 02:11 PM
Gerund looks at the corpse for a moment and then away. He steps toward the place where the zombie emerged from.

Kymme
2012-02-19, 02:28 PM
Grubble spits out zombie chunks (pteu, pteu, grubble gub), whilst Matt goes to Gerund and looks around, too.

Doombringer
2012-02-19, 08:21 PM
Gerund and Kymme find a small little sum off a body of the little kobold zombie's last victim. The total comes up to be around twenty gold pieces.

Their is nothing else of real note and much road to cover.

Windtalker
2012-02-19, 08:59 PM
Atropos looked to the others and said calmly "Come on let us continue onward. We have alot of ground to cover and this little incident already put us behind." He sheathed his falchion and continued to move in the direction of the tree. "Once we get this part should we move to the monastery or the witches place?"

Comissar
2012-02-20, 06:10 AM
"I for one would prefer to visit the monastery first."

Xeno55
2012-02-20, 07:45 AM
Anyika:

Monastery? Do you mean the old dwarf hold? Or did I miss something?

I still think we should follow Atropos to the tallest tree in the forest, but it matters little, we have multiple areas we must investigate. The important thing is that we keep moving, so I am happy to follow Atropos whichever way he and the rest of the party decide to go.

Doombringer
2012-02-21, 09:14 PM
The group continues to travel the rest of the rest of the voyage is pretty uneventful until soon you happen upon an old tree the wood of the tree looks black and the leaves an odd color. It is easy to tell that this tree is special upon it grows an odd mold .

Note ...you arrive at nightfall.

Windtalker
2012-02-21, 09:42 PM
Atropos looks to the massive tree awestruck by it as he remembered the beauty of this trip long ago. "Remarkable is it not?" He then moved to find a place to set up camp knowing that they would be resting here for the night. The tree would most likely have plenty of fallen branches so he made a small cooking fire to shed light upon the group.

Kymme
2012-02-22, 06:22 PM
Matt removes his hat and bows before the tree, awestruck. Gubble, however, doesn't seem to care much, and goes into a low stance. He prowls around, his beady eyes searching through the shrubs around the tree.
Perception for Grubble [roll0]

Grytorm
2012-02-23, 10:12 AM
Gerund stares at the tree thingy before stepping closer to it. After a minutes contemplation he says, "It looks a bit, dead."

Doombringer
2012-02-24, 03:03 AM
The group make do as they wish but it is very late and you have traveled all day.

Xeno55
2012-02-24, 07:19 AM
Anyika:

Perhaps we should make camp and set watches? Arian and I could take the first watch.

Comissar
2012-02-24, 10:47 AM
"I would agree with that my dear, I will need a little time to prepare myself for magic use come the morning though. Perhaps if I take the final watch and overlap with master Atropos so that I may prepare myself for the coming day under his guard for an hour before keeping watch myself?"

Kymme
2012-02-24, 06:23 PM
I concur! Matt replies exitedly, putting his hat back on. Perhaps Grubble could assist you while on watch? He does have rather keen senses!

Windtalker
2012-02-25, 01:56 AM
Atropos looks to the others after traping a rabbit and adding a few things to make a stew. "Dinners on..." He then nods before saying "I can stay up with the ones who need to study no problem." He pointed toward the fungus."I think that is what we are after. I also believe daylight will serve us better."

Grytorm
2012-02-25, 06:02 PM
"Well if you have worked that out I wouldn't mind sleeping." Gerund says before laughing a little.

Doombringer
2012-02-25, 07:55 PM
You all sleep and rest the night is uneventful for you.

Xeno55
2012-02-25, 09:02 PM
Anyika:

Let us gather up some of this elderwood mold, and then perhaps we should head out to find the witch, Ulizmila, and see what we can learn about this "rat's tail" stuff.

Comissar
2012-02-26, 02:30 AM
Arian meditates in the morning once more, doing his best to ignore the sounds around him as he turns his attention inwards. Eventually, he picks his ring up from his lap and stands up. "Agreed, we had best not waste too much time."

Spells for today:

Level 0:
Ray of Frost
Dancing Lights
Flare

Level 1:
Colour Spray x1
Silent Image x1

Doombringer
2012-02-26, 07:53 PM
When the group wakes and starts the day. They see it was a wise decision not to cross to the tree at night a swamp guards it. The tree mold is seems very large almost unreal upon it. The tree is waiting for the group the next moves are yours.

Windtalker
2012-02-26, 07:53 PM
Atropos was up with the sun and sharpening his falchion. "Now then let us go take a little closer look." He then moves to the tree with the others trying to harvest some of the mold. "Seems we will have to get into the water to harvest it..." Atropos sighs and slowly moves into the water first checking for good footholds.

Xeno55
2012-02-26, 10:18 PM
Anyika follows, 10' behind, morningstar in hand.

Grytorm
2012-02-26, 10:59 PM
Gerund waits on the shore holding a javelin.

Kymme
2012-02-26, 11:02 PM
Matt also waits on the shore, crossbow held at the ready, and Grubble walks forward with the others. Grubble shifts uneasily from foot to foot, sniffing at the ground and fluttering his diminutive wings at every sound.

Comissar
2012-02-27, 03:35 PM
Arian stands at the shoreline going through the mental preperations required before a spell can be cast.

Doombringer
2012-02-27, 10:02 PM
Atropos and the others that went into the water would make their way across before the large ripples in the water produced the head of a snake. The creature fangs bared lunged at him trying to find his meal.

Attack
[roll0]

Confirm Critical
[roll1]

Damage
[roll2]

Please Roll Initiatives and then post I will sort them accordingly.

Xeno55
2012-02-27, 10:18 PM
Anyika

Initiative: [roll0]

Windtalker
2012-02-27, 10:24 PM
Atropos jumps back easily dodging the snake. That falchion came up swinging in a slash cutting through the water and toward the creature trying to sever its body in two. "Now let us see how you like it when your prey fights back." Atropos was curious what sort of breed this was and tried to think while he fought.

Attack
[roll0]

Confirm Critical
[roll1]

Damage
[roll2]

Knowledge Nature
[roll3]

Windtalker
2012-02-27, 10:27 PM
[roll0]
Init
Forgot that!

Kymme
2012-02-27, 11:38 PM
Matt and Grubble spring into action! Init [roll0]
Matt takes a pot shot at the serpent, biting his tongue as he focuses in.
Attack w/ crossbow [roll1] into melee
Crit Confirm [roll2]
Damage [roll3]
Crit Damage [roll4]
Grubble choms at the monster, trying to bite it in half.
Attack w/ bite [roll5]
Crit Confirm [roll6]
Damage [roll7] plus [roll8] fire
Crit Damage [roll9] plus [roll10] fire

Grytorm
2012-02-27, 11:48 PM
Calmly Gerund pulls back his arm and throws his Javelin toward the serpent. Then, whether or not he struck the beast he draws his sword and shouts, "Clear out!"

Initiative [roll0]
Attack with Javelin [roll1], probably take a penalty for attacking into melee
Damage [roll2]

Comissar
2012-02-28, 03:23 AM
Arian rapidly completes his preperations and releases an exceptional bright light in the face of the snake in the hopes of disorientating it.

Initiative - [roll0]
Casting Flare at the snake (makes it dazzled, -1 penalty on attacks and perception for 10 rounds. Fortitude save negates, DC 14)

Xeno55
2012-02-28, 07:08 AM
Anyika's attack:

to hit [roll0]
confirm crit [roll1]
damage [roll2]
crit dam [roll3]

Doombringer
2012-03-01, 12:12 AM
The snake recoils in pain blades and spells cut and fly into it. The creatue then strikes at Atropos once more. The party thinks they have the snake on the run just before they see two more moving in smaller but ready to attack.

Atropos
[roll0]

Atropos
[roll1]

Grubble
[roll2]

Rather than do a hundred rolls.

I rolled secretly Atropos you take 6 points of DMG.

The other attacks miss I am assuming.

Windtalker
2012-03-01, 12:36 AM
Atropos growls and then focuses on the snake in front of him once more. He took his falchion swinging in a upward arc trying to sever its head from body. "Watch the two coming in!" He then started to take a step back toward the shore. Eyes watching the other two trying to not get surrounded glad his companions were moving into the fray.

Attack
[roll0]

Confirm Critical
[roll1]

Damage
[roll2]

Doombringer
2012-03-01, 12:44 AM
The snake in front of Atropos spews a stream of blood and sags to the ground head nearly carved cleaned off.

Continue making your moves on the others.

Comissar
2012-03-01, 03:11 AM
Continuing to chant, Arian thrusts his hand out again causing a second bright light to appear suddenly.

Casting Flare again at the closest snake, DC14 Fortitude negates, -1 to attack rolls and perception rolls if it fails.

Xeno55
2012-03-01, 07:52 AM
Anyika moves to attack one of the smaller snakes:

attack[roll0]
crit [roll1]
damage[roll2]
crit [roll3]

Grytorm
2012-03-01, 10:58 AM
Gerund runs toward the other small snake, whichever one is still approaching and not fighting as of yet. He lunges swinging his sword.

Charge if possible, if not move to the snake and power attack with the great-sword.
Attack [roll0] If I charge add an additional +2
Damage [roll1]

Kymme
2012-03-01, 11:12 PM
Matt curses in Gnomish. Something about futility and lining up a shot. Grubble tries to chomp down on the smaller serpents.
Attack w/ bite [roll0]
Crit Confirm [roll1]
Damage [roll2] plus [roll3] fire
Crit Damage [roll4] plus [roll5] fire
previous attack missed grubble, BTW :smallsmile:

Doombringer
2012-03-02, 12:31 AM
The group finishes off the snakes. The tree is before you once again this time you are sure it is not guarded.

Everyone earns 150 xp each.

Grytorm
2012-03-03, 11:48 AM
"Well, go on."

Windtalker
2012-03-05, 12:01 AM
Atropos moves forward to the tree. Eyes keeping open and sharp as he nurses the wound he took . "I think we are clear of any danger for now." He then took time to examine the snakes. "I wonder what sort of threat these creatures though we were not natural for them to attack like that."

Comissar
2012-03-07, 03:40 AM
"It is possible they were enchanted to defend it."

Arian joins Atropos at the tree and places a hand on its bark, looking up to its branches as he does so.

Xeno55
2012-03-07, 08:20 AM
Anyika loads up on Elderwood Moss.

Atropos, everyone, let's head out to find Ulizmila, the witch.

Kymme
2012-03-11, 05:09 PM
Matt finishes staring into space, then turns to the rest of the group. I concur, lets head back. He then jumps at a hooting sound. This place is full of dangers.

Grytorm
2012-03-12, 06:46 PM
"I don't care where we go, as long as we go soon." Gerund says as he retrieves his Javelin.