PDA

View Full Version : Yup, that's a BIGG'EN!!!!!

Metahuman1
2012-01-25, 08:19 PM
Ok, so we've got a fairly new player at the table for my real life gaming group. So far, she'd keeping it simple with a "Hulk Smash!" Approach to the game and a character I helped her build and optimize to do that. (She specifically said that was all she wanted to do to start with so she could have time to learn what everything else does via reading and watching.)

Build is Barbarian 4/ Warblade 2. Gonna take Exotic weapons Master for 1 level when we level up again, then I've advised and she seems to like the idea of Unarmed swordsage 1 (For those bar room brawls and epic moments of unarmed badassdom.), Cleric (Travel devotion and turn undead to grant some extra mobility.) and another level of Warblade before PRCing out for the rest of her Career as a Frenzied Breserker. (DM house rule: You don't auto fail a save on a 1, you can still make it if your total check number is higher then the DC, and I've got it worked out so that she'll have a total +22 to her Will saves when she hits that first level of FB. Meaning no accidental TPK's. )

And she's using the Half Minotaur Template, again, my suggestion.

Now, so much for the preliminaries, on to the point of the thread.

So last session during a large scale combat against some Necromancers and there minions, my wizard had to do some summoning, and I brought out a large creature to help handle the mass number of mooks we were having to fight. I had already used enlarge person on her a couple of rounds earlier, bringing her to Hugh size.

Upon Questioning from her, I related it to being, in comparison to a large dog, which she found hilarious and adorable for some reason.

Later in combat, we got the final boss for the session and story arch, a Skeletal Dragon, which the Dm informed me after a successful knowledge check and spot check was Gargantuan size. During combat, the Player threw it across the battle field to get it off me and the rogue as we were taking massive damage. I Illustrated it for her to emphasis who impressive that was by explaining that it would be like her taking a Clydesdale and throwing it form the back tables in the game shop we were playing at all the way to the front door.

This impressed her, greatly. She was also very taken between grappling to set up the throw and pulling it off with getting a mount or other "Big Pet."

I told her I'd look into it for next session.

Toward that end, I come to the playground. What would be some really awesome Pets we could see about picking up for her that range form large to Colossal size.

DM is Luke warm about dragons for this purpose and as an optimizer so am I. So something other then dragons would be a good consideration.

And she has maxed ranks in handle animal if it helps, as well as a helpful party Wizard.

NikitaDarkstar
2012-01-25, 08:57 PM
Considering Handle Animal would only let you deal with Animals, which dragons doesn't count for. (I'm not sure if it even lets you mess with Magical Beasts, but I assume the DM would be ok with fudging the rules a little here as long as it's not something that is extremely intelligent.)

Either way I'd suggest using this http://monsterfinder.dndrunde.de/ to get a list of potential monsters and then looking them up in the manuals. :) (covers 3.5)

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2012-01-25, 09:20 PM
Half-Minotaur makes her a Monstrous Humanoid, so Enlarge Person shouldn't have worked on her at all. Remember that skeletons weigh only a fraction of what that creature did when it was alive.

She could maybe pick up Wild Cohort (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031118a) at around 9th level, and get a Tiger pet with it when she reaches 10th. Another extremely strong companion choice is a Dire Eagle in Races of Stone, which she would be able to get as early as 7th level. Getting a bigger than large size companion is actually somewhat difficult, and I wouldn't recommend it anyway considering it may not fit into some dungeons and adventure sites. She could eventually even use Inspire Frenzy on it, and there's also the feat Shared Fury in Races of the Wild which would be fitting. Given enough time, you can use the Handle Animal skill to add the Warbeast template in MM2 to an animal companion or wild cohort.

Averis Vol
2012-01-25, 09:52 PM
cant go wrong with a warbred bulette :smallbiggrin:

Medic!
2012-01-26, 12:41 AM
She could probly try to make friendly-like with a Legendary Animal....although out of mad <3 for Big Teej, the bulette takes the cake

Darrin
2012-01-26, 07:18 AM
For a Huge mount... I'd go with Warbeast Elephant. 1000 GP, 12 HD, and a bonus feat. But I'd keep my eyes out for an after-market Triceratops or Dire Rhino with low mileage, though.

Metahuman1
2012-01-28, 04:40 PM
Ok, good suggestions so far. Out of curiosity, is there a Template other then Dire that let's you up an animal/magical beasts size by one Catagory?

NikitaDarkstar: Yeah, he's pretty forgiving. He's letting a Beatstick have a Half-minotaur Mineral Warrior Water Orc character who's got enough rages to get though 4 encounters a day, Pounce, and Warblade levels with out much fuss. The pet and/or mount isn't really about power for her so much as rule of cool, starting to help her get comfortable with doing something other then smacking stuff with a big hammer and encouraging her to get more comfortable acting in character after the DM and I Observed she seemed to enjoy doing so when the idea of taking the Skeleton Dragon captive and using magic to force it to be a mount was thrown out by another player in jest. From there another suggested maybe I or he (the cleric.) should just summon her one at some point.

And then a bit later when I summoned something else, and likened it to being the size of a big dog compared to her character. She liked the idea of having it as her pet right up till it was KO'd in combat.

Biffoniacus_Furiou: Yes, yes, congratulations, I forgot one technicality of a spell I only bother to prepare to boost my allies. The DM, after discussing your post with him and taking into account how much the rest of the party enjoyed watching her gone to town on his Skeletal Army he had us fighting at the session described, including being hugely important to taking out the Skeletal Dragon and literally taking out the gates by herself to allow the rest of the party to deal with the archers on the walls and the Spell caster behind it. Not to mention how much fun she had running around the battle field sowing the utter destruction of her foes, decided to just house rule that it works, particularly in light of the fact that before to much longer the Cleric will just DMM: Persist+Chain Righteous Might on her and himself anyway, making it a moot point.

SamBurke
2012-01-28, 04:43 PM
Actually, I think it's bigger than a Clydesdale. More like an Elephant.

That... is a scary thought.

Metahuman1
2012-01-28, 04:59 PM
Actually, I think it's bigger than a Clydesdale. More like an Elephant.

That... is a scary thought.

Hehe, well, Half Minotaur under the effect of Enlarge Person. And it was Clydesdale compared to her, not to the three other medium sized characters in the party.

Elboxo
2012-01-28, 08:30 PM
Ok, good suggestions so far. Out of curiosity, is there a Template other then Dire that let's you up an animal/magical beasts size by one Catagory?

Sometimes simply advancing Hit-Dice will do it, under Bulette in advancement it says "17-27 Hit Dice - Gargantuan" considering it's base Hit-Dice is 9, the advancement of 8 is quite a lot, bumping its CR by 3-5, so would probably be a mount in quite a few levels, depending on your current level. Otherwise advance the Hit-Dice, increase the size, health and BaB/Stats ahoy!.

Savage Species may be a worth looking into for a template; though I'm not sure if one actively increases Magical Beasts' size.