PDA

View Full Version : Oddly specific spells

Vitruviansquid
2012-01-25, 08:21 PM
Gentlemen, mentlegen. Ladies and laddies.

I am currently crafting a setting in which magic spells work in very rigid, but rarely explainable ways. To convey this, I want magic spells that have very specific effects as opposed to, say "Create Water," which has a very generalized effect.

I'll lay some out.

1. Polar Arrow - You release a superhot bolt of energy that can only travel directly north of you.

2. Vampire's Curse - You curse a target to uncontrollably vomit blood in equal to amount to the blood he or she has recently shed. This spell could cause death by blood loss or less likely by suffocation.

3. Pacify Item - You calm the spirit within an inanimate object, causing it to become much less able to be used as a weapon against people. This spell has no effect on swords, which are intrinsically more warlike than other objects.

4. Habit of Lead - You enchant an item of clothing or armor to become many times heavier. The multiplicative effect of this spell means it could inflict a small amount of discomfort to someone wearing little or literally crush the bones of a knight in full armor.

5. Half Hand of Tantalus - You enchant the space between yourself and one other person such that there is always approximately half a hand's length more distance between you and that person than anyone can perceive. Cast in a duel, this spell can seriously disorient the enemy.

NikitaDarkstar
2012-01-25, 08:35 PM
3-5 really doesn't sound that specific in my book, just saying.

Curse of the Cat. Will turn the target into a cat, but only if the caster has a tuft of cats fur that exactly matches the targets hair in color. (I feel sorry for the local alley cat population already.)

Zodiac Strike. Rays of energy attack the enemy and strike in a pattern that exactly matches the zodiacs. The spell will only deal full damage if the enemy is struck by the zodiac which he was born in, if not random effects happen. (Could be good or negative, I'd suggest making a chart and roll at random. I'd also suggest rolling a d12 behind the DM screen, 12 means he hit and the spell deals proper damage, 1-11 means it does whatever you decided the random effects are.)

Aidan305
2012-01-25, 09:01 PM
If it's oddly specific spells you want, I'd recommend having a look at Fireborn.

The Disintegrate spell, for example, has a range of 60ft. This means you can only use it on someone who is exactly 60ft away from you.

nedz
2012-01-25, 09:02 PM
Instead of polar arrow you could have magnetic arrow. You can make this travel due north or due south. At higher levels you could have another spell which distorts the local magnetic field. You could even base a whole school og magic around similiar effects.

Elemental
2012-01-25, 09:55 PM
Oddly specific you say?

How about; Draconic Internal Anatomy Reversal?
Harmlessly rearranges the internal organs of a dragon so they are each in the opposite position.
This spell deals no damage, but effectively stuns the dragon for a short duration.

DaMullet
2012-01-25, 10:09 PM
How oddly specific would you like to get?

Summon My Mother's Old Frying Pan.

Summon My Mother's Newer Frying Pan.

Summon My Left Boot, No Not That One, The Leather One.

I could continue. I am not sure I follow why specificity is preferred, though.

edit: Also, given your examples, I don't really see how "create water" is a generalized effect at all.

Elemental
2012-01-25, 10:15 PM
Ultimately the question is, how specific do you want them?

Ray That Boils Water Only specific; or Lesser Rune of Temporary Blindness specific?

theMycon
2012-01-25, 10:38 PM
Echoing the above sentiment:
Are things like "Rose Growth: Targetted rose bush grows to a massive size, trapping anyone nearby in a thorny patch of pretty flowers" specific enough, or would you need something like "Yellow Rose of Texas Growth"?

Vitruviansquid
2012-01-25, 11:20 PM
Well gosh, I didn't expect for this to turn into an inquiry on what's specific and what's not, or even the very nature of specificity. :smalleek:

How about we say this is a thread about fun ideas for spells with an emphasis on inflexibility or specificity (and this may be in crunch, fluff, or however you want to spin it) with a gentlemen's agreement that I won't rage at you for giving me something that doesn't totally match my admittedly unapt description?

So whether you want to draw the line at Spell That Kills, or Spell That Kills Matthew, or Spell That Kills Matthew McKinnell is up to you. :smallsmile:

Elemental
2012-01-25, 11:41 PM
As an aside, a world where spells require a high degree of specificity in comparison to other settings would certainly encourage spell research.

Just make sure the players don't just solve every problem by inventing a spell for the purpose.
Otherwise it will devolve into something like this:
King: Sir Wizard Guy, we need your help, Lord Evil Necromancer is plotting to take over Generic Kingdom! You have to stop him!
Sir Wizard Guy: No problem your majesty, I'll just go to my laboratory while my friends hold him off.
***A few weeks later***
Sir Wizard Guy: I have the solution!
*Casts Slay Lord Evil Necromancer*

DementedFellow
2012-01-26, 12:27 AM
I'm always a big fan of Transmute Rock to Jazz.

navar100
2012-01-26, 12:39 AM
It sort of sounds like you want Truename magic, if you can find a way to make it work. Alternatively, there's Word Magic from Pathfinder Ultimate Magic, but it still might be too generic for your taste.

To get away from D&D, I think Ars Magica is the better fit. Formulaic spells are a bit specific. Even spontaneous magic requires using specific components of magic (Forms and Techniques) to do specific things. In Ars Magica, Fireball is Ball Of Abysmal Flame. That's a Creo Ignam spell, "create fire". To spontaneously cast a spell to function like Dispel Magic, you would create a spell effect using Perdo Vis, "destroy magic".

TheCountAlucard
2012-01-26, 01:18 AM
There's quite a few very specific spells to be found in Exalted. Among other things, there are spells that:

Conjure a servitor that can lift 10 tons, but said servitor can't and won't fight.
Power any sailing vessel with exactly enough wind to make it go at maximum speed without damaging it.
Produce a black ceramic coin that you can scry through.
Enforce an oath that forbids a target from speaking of a certain subject, lest he vomit maggots.
Impose a moment's worth of your sensory impressions onto the wind, and deliver these sensations to a single person.
Summon an eye that scans text, and a mouth that reads it aloud for you.
Turn you into a flock of birds and fly away.
Instantly raise up stone structures from the bones of the earth.
Turn a plant into a full-sized boat.
Turn your shadow into a spy.

And those are just from the first circle of sorcery.

comk59
2012-01-26, 01:35 AM
This is kinda interesting thread.

Gilded- can coat a small object with a thin layer of gold, silver, or similiar precious metal.

Mastikator
2012-01-26, 02:40 AM
Polymorph Pepsi into Coke
Target: One 33cl can of pepsi, unopened
Duration: permanent
Range: touch
Casting time: 1 round
transforms the pepsi into coke, the pepsi logo remains however.

Giarc
2012-01-26, 05:25 AM

Was that from Little Nicky?

Elemental
2012-01-26, 05:33 AM
Something specifically delicious:
Summon Cheddar.

Also, a serious example:
Jane's Contingent Four Metre Dual Lightning Arc:
Zaps anyone who comes within a four metre radius of the caster with two small bolts of lightning, each dealing 1d8 damage. Those who remain within the radius of the effect get struck again each round.

Bit Fiend
2012-01-26, 05:49 AM

Sounds to me like "Unbless Water"... :smallwink:

Anyways, "Mithril to Lead"

Highly situational in use but will wreck a lot of those smug elven gishes. :smallamused:

Elemental
2012-01-26, 05:59 AM
Unseen Portrait Painter: Summons an invisible artist to paint the portrait of the specified target.

Aluminium Spear: A spear of solid aluminium falls from the heavens to strike your tallest enemy.

jpreem
2012-01-26, 06:20 AM
There's quite a few very specific spells to be found in Exalted. Among other things, there are spells that:

[
Enforce an oath that forbids a target from speaking of a certain subject, lest he vomit maggots.

Sounds like it could be a useful survival tool. When youv'e got nothing to eat - then just talks some smack about the Dark Ones again. :smallbiggrin:

Poil
2012-01-26, 07:01 AM
Would it work to chose the subject as remove curse spells? Every time the target tries to get rid off it they are interrupted by a flow of maggots. Hope they picked up silent spell. They could bypass it by asking someone else to cure it, but the only in writing or after adding a lot to the casting fee. :smallyuk:

-Curse Umbrella
Twists a regular harmless umbrella into a vicious man eating umbrella with perfect flight.

Necroticplague
2012-01-26, 07:22 AM
Turn Fire-makes it so that one fire becomes highly abnormal, only spreading up things considered entirely inflamable, while being stopped by objects that are usually highly flammable. Good for rock excavation, or protecting your wooden house.

The Glyphstone
2012-01-26, 08:56 AM
Unicorn's Bane: Reverses the effects of Cure and Inflict spells on the target for the duration.

Also, I'm curious - why are swords more warlike than axes, spears, daggers, or maces?:smallconfused:

Giarc
2012-01-26, 09:12 AM
Unicorn's Bane: Reverses the effects of Cure and Inflict spells on the target for the duration.

Also, I'm curious - why are swords more warlike than axes, spears, daggers, or maces?:smallconfused:

Well, axes can be used to chop trees. Spears can be used to hunt. Use daggers like really big knives? And I got nothing for maces.

Douglas
2012-01-26, 09:20 AM
So whether you want to draw the line at Spell That Kills, or Spell That Kills Matthew, or Spell That Kills Matthew McKinnell is up to you. :smallsmile:
Reminds me of a joke/pun spell I came up with a long time ago: Fire(ball) at Will. As Fireball, but centered on the nearest creature in range named Will.

jpreem
2012-01-26, 09:24 AM
As hammers :smallbiggrin: or nutcrackers :smallcool:

edit: ment to answer Giarc post

The Glyphstone
2012-01-26, 09:29 AM
As hammers :smallbiggrin: or nutcrackers :smallcool:

edit: ment to answer Giarc post

Swords can be used for peeling potatoes.:smallbiggrin:

DaMullet
2012-01-26, 11:43 AM
Swords can be used for peeling potatoes.:smallbiggrin:

They can also be beaten into plowshares.

Deepbluediver
2012-01-26, 11:58 AM
Summon Grammar-Horror
School: Transmutation
Target: 10 pages of written material/level
Turns target writing in near-gibberish. The writing is still readable (barely) but is so full of spelling errors, mispunctuation, and poorly phrased sentences that it takes 4 times as long as normal to read it. Anyone attempting to do so must suceed on a concentration check (DC 15) every 5 minutes, or develop a splitting headache.

Lord Il Palazzo
2012-01-26, 11:59 AM
Reminds me of a joke/pun spell I came up with a long time ago: Fire(ball) at Will. As Fireball, but centered on the nearest creature in range named Will.That's the first Fireball spell I've seen that requires a Will save. *rimshot*

Kurald Galain
2012-01-26, 12:03 PM
Look into the Zork series. They have lots of weird spells like

Turn purple things invisible
Put insects to sleep
Glue audience to seats
Play soothing ambient music
Make instructions more complicated

Starbuck_II
2012-01-26, 12:07 PM
Look into the Zork series. They have lots of weird spells like

Turn purple things invisible
Put insects to sleep
Glue audience to seats
Play soothing ambient music
Make instructions more complicated

#1, 2 and 3 are useful but not sure how good 4 and 5 would be .

archon_huskie
2012-01-26, 12:14 PM
this sounds rather cool. I am always looking at ways to make wizards less overpowered. Mixing up their spells to be specific would help.

Change blindness to Blind Goblin and have a different spell for Blind Orc. This would require the Wizard to carry around multiple spellbooks and gathering the spells for the books would be a quest unto themselves.

Eloel
2012-01-26, 12:18 PM
Load Crossbow:
Loads one non-magical unattended bolt into an unattended crossbow in range

Shoot Crossbow:
Shoots one unattended crossbow in range as if the caster has it in hand.

erikun
2012-01-26, 12:49 PM
Sarda's Spell to make Black Mage Puke his Guts Out (http://www.nuklearpower.com/2006/05/02/episode-690-practical-magic/)

Roderick_BR
2012-01-26, 01:48 PM
Create Limonade (wiz0/sor0/clr0/drd0/brd0)

Creates enough sweet and fresh limonade to fill one jar. Works like create water, but is good only to quench one's thirst or accompany a light meal. Not useful for things that require pure water, like washing something or used to make potions or holywater.

Or you can sell one cup for 1 cooper piece each.

Dress up (brd0)
Target: 1 set of non-magical/non-armor clothings (1 pair of shoes, 1 pants, 1 shirt, 1 jacket, 1 hat, 1 pair of gloves, 1 acessory/level)

Targeted set of clothes instantly became worn by the caster (previous worn pieces can remain or be replaced, by caster's choice).

MesiDoomstalker
2012-01-26, 02:01 PM
Create Limonade (wiz0/sor0/clr0/drd0/brd0)

Creates enough sweet and fresh limonade to fill one jar. Works like create water, but is good only to quench one's thirst or accompany a light meal. Not useful for things that require pure water, like washing something or used to make potions or holywater.

Or you can sell one cup for 1 cooper piece each.

Dress up (brd0)
Target: 1 set of non-magical/non-armor clothings (1 pair of shoes, 1 pants, 1 shirt, 1 jacket, 1 hat, 1 pair of gloves, 1 acessory/level)

Targeted set of clothes instantly became worn by the caster (previous worn pieces can remain or be replaced, by caster's choice).

The second one I believe is already created along with its counterpart, undress in BoEF.

And, yes, I went ther.

Deepbluediver
2012-01-26, 02:32 PM
I think some people are starting to confuse "oddly specific" with "totally useless".

What we need is stuff like:

Create Sodium Pentothal
School: Conjuration
Level: Brd 1, Clr 1, Drd 2, Sor/Wiz 1
Create 10 grams of sodium pentothal per level.

and possibly

Summon Dodo Bird
School: Conjuration (summoning)
Level: Drd 1, Sor/Wiz 2
You summon one member of the species Raphus cucullatus to your location. It lasts for 10 minutes.

and even

Alter Furniture
Level: Sor/Wiz 4
Change the shape and purpose of one piece of furniture with a maximum weight of 30 lbs./level into any other piece of furniture

no wait, I actually think most of these are junk, too :smalltongue:

Dr. Yes
2012-01-26, 02:58 PM
Cloth to Leather. Turns 5 sq. ft. per level of plant-based fabrics into leather.

Alter Dice. Turns one polyhedral die per level into another type of die, chosen at the time of casting.

Summon Beloved Toy. Brings to hand whatever toy was most precious to you as a child.

Prismatic Bloom. Enchants one flower per level to change colors at random every round.

Storm Bringer
2012-01-26, 04:38 PM
Summon salt water elemental: only works if the water in question is salt water, not fresh.

Teleport to X: like teleport, but only takes you to a single location, which has to be prepared by drawing a summoning circle on the floor at the destination. However, the circle means that their is no chance of arriving "off target".

teleport from X: like above, but you must be stood in the circle to teleport to a destination of choice. normal teleport rules apply to arrival.

Teleport form X to X: travel without error between two circles you have drawn.

note that all spells can be cast on someone other than the caster (ie he can send someone without travelling himself). He can also send any item small enough to fit into the Circle.

those spells are Useful, but only with preperation or luck

Vitruviansquid
2012-01-26, 05:15 PM

Swords are more warlike because the weapon figures more in the mythology of war than other weapons. Think of it like the katana fetish so many people today seem to have... and this guy http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Churchill

The Glyphstone
2012-01-26, 05:39 PM
Swords are more warlike because the weapon figures more in the mythology of war than other weapons. Think of it like the katana fetish so many people today seem to have... and this guy http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Churchill

Maces are descended from clubs, though, which were the very first war-weapons (or, for that matter, any weapons), ever invented; they'd be the prototypical 'only good for violence' tool before a sword would be.

NNescio
2012-01-26, 06:02 PM
Tasha's Hideous Daughter

Illusion (Phantasm)/Enchantment (Compulsion) [Fear, Mind-Affecting]

Level: Sor/Wiz 5
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Target: One creature
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: See text
Spell Resistance: Yes

As Phantasmal Killer, but only on subjects with that one specific fear. The spell does not, however, allow saves on susceptible targets -- neither Fortitude nor Will can work.

Against non-susceptible targets, the spell merely instils the subject with a mental compulsion to take an extended bath before the day ends. Treat the compulsion as a Suggestion, except that the activity is automatically considered reasonable. This aspect of the spell can be resisted with a successful Will save.

Unlike most similar spells, Tasha's Hideous Daughter can work on nonliving creatures. Immunity to fear, compulsion, or mind-affecting effects also do not confer immunity from this spell.

(Yes, this is a dual-school spell.)

Eloel
2012-01-26, 06:08 PM
Teleport form X to X: travel without error between two circles you have drawn.

This spell is how I always hoped teleportation would work. Teleportation stations (think train stations) that shoot people to destinations.

Kadzar
2012-01-27, 01:46 AM
Here's something from a homebrew setting I've been working on. It's a spell that can kill anything, but it has a few caveats: It has to be delivered by a magic bullet, fired by a type of spellgun that can only fire magic bullets. The specific type of magic bullet for this spell needs a body part from the target of the spell to be used in its construction, which must take place in a a sort of alchemical factory built in a highly magical location, and making the bullet takes quite a bit of time and is quite expensive. This was mostly just a thought experiment about the limits of that system.

Another type of magic bullet in that setting would shoot a rope out of the spellgun, which would firmly attach to whatever it hit, sort of like a magic grapnel gun.

Ravens_cry
2012-01-27, 06:11 AM
#1, 2 and 3 are useful but not sure how good 4 and 5 would be .
Five you could use on the Big Bad to buy time as They enact some arcane ritual from some ancient and malevolent tome. Four? Well, 'tis said that music hath charms to sooth a savage beast. Or breast, so either way is good for resolving domestic issues.
Oddly specific spells eh?
Shut Eye: makes the eye of a needle impossible to thread.
Bathers Delight: Heats or cools the water within a 5 foot radius around the caster to the temperature they find most comfortable for bathing. Has no effect on lava, acid, or other liquids.
Trick Rope: Takes control over someone else's casting of Animate Rope.
Love Potion Number Six. Makes the caster intoxicatingly in love with everyone and everything they see. Has no effect on anyone else. Material components: turpentine and Indian ink.

Jeff the Green
2012-01-27, 11:40 AM
Killer Cassandra: Divine whether the target has killed anyone in the last week; telling someone the result without other proof will cause them to disbelieve you.

erikun
2012-01-27, 11:55 AM
The Protect from The Negative Effects of The Solid Fog Spell Spell

Level: Adept 1, Assassin 1, Blackguard 1, Blighter 1, Bard 1, Cleric 1, Druid 1, Favored Soul 1, Paladin 1, Ranger 1, Shugenja 1, Spellthief 1, Temple Raider 1, Vigilante 1, Warmage 1, Wu Jen 1, Least Invocation 1st level, Crusader 1, Swordsage 1, Warblade 1, Lurk 1, Psion/Wilder 1, Psychic Rogue 1, Psychic Warrior 1, Chaos 1, Communication 1, Conflict 1, Consumption 1, Corruption and Madness 1, Creation 1, Death 1, Deception 1, Destruction 1, Elements 1, Energy 1, Evil 1, Fate 1, Force 1, Freedom 1, Good 1, Guardian 1, Justice 1, Knowledge 1, Law 1, Life 1, Light and Darkness 1, Magic 1, Mental Power 1, Natural World 1, Pain and Suffering 1, Physical Power 1, The Planes 1, Repose 1, Time 1

Rather sick of the "wizards win everything everytime" mentality, several people decided to create a spell that grants full immunity from one of the Wizards' best tools. Rather impressively, people from other classes had the same idea, or perhaps simply stole the concept afterwards.

The Protect from The Negative Effects of The Solid Fog Spell Spell grants the target full immunity from all negative effects of the Solid Fog spell. Specifically, while under its effects, the target may move at its normal speed through an area of Soild Fog, may take 5' steps, does not suffer an attack penality within the Solid Fog, and may make ranged attacks as normal. Sight is not obstructed by targets under the influence of this spell.

Despite the name of The Protect from The Negative Effects of The Solid Fog Spell Spell, it is not always a spell nor is it always magical.

CharityB
2012-01-27, 10:01 PM
I'm always a big fan of Transmute Rock to Jazz.

That spell is so broken.

theMycon
2012-01-27, 11:17 PM
The Protect from The Negative Effects of The Solid Fog Spell Spell

Level: Adept 1, Assassin 1, Blackguard 1, Blighter 1, Bard 1, Cleric 1, Druid 1, Favored Soul 1, Paladin 1, Ranger 1, Shugenja 1, Spellthief 1, Temple Raider 1, Vigilante 1, Warmage 1, Wu Jen 1, Least Invocation 1st level, Crusader 1, Swordsage 1, Warblade 1, Lurk 1, Psion/Wilder 1, Psychic Rogue 1, Psychic Warrior 1, Chaos 1, Communication 1, Conflict 1, Consumption 1, Corruption and Madness 1, Creation 1, Death 1, Deception 1, Destruction 1, Elements 1, Energy 1, Evil 1, Fate 1, Force 1, Freedom 1, Good 1, Guardian 1, Justice 1, Knowledge 1, Law 1, Life 1, Light and Darkness 1, Magic 1, Mental Power 1, Natural World 1, Pain and Suffering 1, Physical Power 1, The Planes 1, Repose 1, Time 1

Rather sick of the "wizards win everything everytime" mentality, several people decided to create a spell that grants full immunity from one of the Wizards' best tools. Rather impressively, people from other classes had the same idea, or perhaps simply stole the concept afterwards.

The Protect from The Negative Effects of The Solid Fog Spell Spell grants the target full immunity from all negative effects of the Solid Fog spell. Specifically, while under its effects, the target may move at its normal speed through an area of Soild Fog, may take 5' steps, does not suffer an attack penality within the Solid Fog, and may make ranged attacks as normal. Sight is not obstructed by targets under the influence of this spell.

Despite the name of The Protect from The Negative Effects of The Solid Fog Spell Spell, it is not always a spell nor is it always magical.

Despite the unwieldy way of stating it, I thematically LOVE the idea. "This powerful spell has a simple counter, but it's so specific that there's almost no chance a given character will have this available unless they plan on or suspect Solid Fog. Unless they turn it into a consumable or scroll."

Similarly:
"Shadow Snap: In a bright location with a single light source, such as outside during the day, you may make a ranged touch attack with a thrown dagger against the target's shadow. If this hits, the shadow is pinned to that location and the target cannot move away from it. This effectively gives them a 5' radius from the dagger where they can walk. This effect is countered and dispelled by any spell, item, or effect which sheds enough light to fully erase their shadow, or when it becomes dark enough that their shadow fades into the lack of ambient light."

Ravens_cry
2012-01-27, 11:48 PM
It is an extremely powerful battlefield control spell due to having no save. Ranged touched attacks are easy to make even for 1/2 BAB and you might want to specify better if your ranged touch attack is on the target (with all defences thereof) or the shadow itself, which doesn't have a AC, and would be likely only the AC 5 of hitting a square, and so basically an autohit except on a 1.
Sure, it can be potentially negated, but it's still nasty.

Flame of Anor
2012-01-28, 12:33 AM
this sounds rather cool. I am always looking at ways to make wizards rage quit. Mixing up their spells to be specific would help.

Change blindness to Blind Goblin and have a different spell for Blind Orc. This would require the Wizard to carry around multiple spellbooks and gathering the spells for the books would be a quest unto themselves.

Fixed that for you. :smallwink:

Kane0
2012-01-28, 03:29 AM
It is an extremely powerful battlefield control spell due to having no save. Ranged touched attacks are easy to make even for 1/2 BAB and you might want to specify better if your ranged touch attack is on the target (with all defences thereof) or the shadow itself, which doesn't have a AC, and would be likely only the AC 5 of hitting a square, and so basically an autohit except on a 1.

A single light spell could negate it, but yes i agree.

Hmm, lets see...

Reverse conductivity:
As turn fire, but affects objects and materials that would usually conduct electricity

Muffle Steps:
You gain a +6 bonus to move silently (but not hide). This only applies to checks made when walking or running.

Summon Meatshield:
Summons a large shield comprised of flesh that occupies the square in front of you. It has ac of 10 + 1 /2 caster levels and 10 hp /2 caster levels. The shield always remains in the square in front of you. If you attempt to move into a location where there is no square in front of you to be ocupied by the shield, it will push you back 5 ft.

claricorp
2012-01-28, 06:22 AM
1: Summon lizard of anti truth
Summons a small lizard which promptly describes the immediate future, unfortunately this description is usually totally untrue. Has a 10% chance of summoning a lizard of truth.

2: Compelling hop
Target must succeed a will save or be immediately compelled to spend their next turn trying to jump over a small gap or object.

3: Falsely increase gap
Causes a pit or ditch to appear deeper and wider.

4: Summon illusory haunts
Terrifying subjects move around the edge of the targets vision, causing weaker minded beings to be feared and others to take a penalty to all tasks.

5: Manipulate fluid into a rod
Causes a targeted fluid to be turned into a rod, this rod may be manipulated by the wielder and acts as a quarterstaff for one round, or may be launched at an opponent to deal damage.

6: Create vortex

Causes air above a target location to be sucked towards that location, knocking about opponents, or causing things attached to the ceiling or flying beings to be pulled to the ground.

7: Stoke Flames
Causes fire in an immediate area to briefly increase size, may increase size substantialy more if there is an accelerant present.

8: Heat point
Causes a pinpoint area to heat slowly, dealing 1 damage which increase by 1 each round, when released it deals all of the damage thusfar dealt by the spell, if used on open air for 3 rounds then released, creates a small sonic boom

9: Stitch design
Causes a targeted needle and thread to immediately stitch a design into a nearby cloth according to the whims of the caster, though the spirits controlling the needle are fairly clumsy and can only do simple patterns with any chance of success.

10: Untangle
Causes a small knot to be immediately untangled, in addition this spell can also destroy stitches or woven cloth in a small area when cast.

There, a bunch of spells that are specific but have several uses.

Elemental
2012-01-28, 08:58 AM
Silence Mosquito: Like silence, but only mosquitoes and one-hundred percent effective.

Animate Silk: Brings silk to life. Use people's own outfits against them! But only if they can afford silk.
Warning: Never tell a spider that this spell exists, it'll be your worst nightmare...

Monochrome Ray: Like Prismatic Ray, but grayscale. I have no idea what this would do.

Detect Invisibility, but Only Purple Things: The title says it all.

Lorikeet's Splendour: Like Eagle's Splendour, but more splendiferous because it's more colourful.
Actually grants a charisma penalty. Prettiness can't get you anywhere if you're loud and obnoxious.

Transmute O Positive to O Negative: The possibilities are endless! Never search for the right blood type again!

Tyndmyr
2012-01-28, 09:05 AM
Are we all just making things up?

Disguise Undead. It is used for disguising one, and only undead as not undead. It does not affect sound, smell, touch, etc, it's extremely limited in it's ability to change visual size(+- 1 ft), and anyone interacting with the undead gets a will save to disbelieve.

Oh, and it's official.

Ravens_cry
2012-01-28, 09:16 AM
Great for walking about town in areas prejudiced against the differently living. A little prestidigitation to get rid of the smell and voilą, those skeletons are just your very obedient bodyguards. Can confuse the PC as well; when scouting they just find some humanoid forces and will likely prepare their defences and offences accordingly.

erikun
2012-01-28, 10:42 AM
Save Will

If a character named Will fails a Will save, and if the immediate result of that failed Will save would result in Will dying, then you may cast this spell as an immediate action to allow Will to make another Will save.

theMycon
2012-01-28, 11:29 AM

Yes, but it's single target, allows a degree of mobility, doesn't stop anyone with any method of ranged attack or flight, and can be negated by a cantrip or a 7 gp item. I would imagine, against any humanoid or sapient opponent, it's basically "trade my spell slot and standard action for your full round to pull out a latern and light it."

Still overpowered against any animals you encounter in broad daylight, but, hey, it was a first draft.

Ravens_cry
2012-01-28, 11:48 AM
Yes, but it's single target, allows a degree of mobility, doesn't stop anyone with any method of ranged attack or flight, and can be negated by a cantrip or a 7 gp item. I would imagine, against any humanoid or sapient opponent, it's basically "trade my spell slot and standard action for your full round to pull out a latern and light it."

Which many spell casters I know won't have. Sure, they might have light prepared, but on the other hand, they might not.
Heh, the bard holding the torch is immune, he's always holding a torch!

Still overpowered against any animals you encounter in broad daylight, but, hey, it was a first draft.
Or many monsters. For example, it's yet another way to lock down a Terrasque. For that matter, many dragons.

archon_huskie
2012-01-28, 03:55 PM
Which many spell casters I know won't have. Sure, they might have light prepared, but on the other hand, they might not.
Heh, the bard holding the torch is immune, he's always holding a torch!

Or many monsters. For example, it's yet another way to lock down a Terrasque. For that matter, many dragons.

What if the Dragon was in flight or some other manner in which the shadow is not connected to its object. Hang on, I've got to go creat a whole new school of magic for my home-brewed world.

Analytica
2012-01-28, 05:26 PM
Spells that:

- summon or call specific, individual outsiders
- provide communication with specific, individual outsiders
- allows you to assume the shapes of specific, individual creatures
- transports you to particular planar locations
- allows for controlling very specific categories of creatures (i.e. the Kings of Varnland)
- are required to activate specific magical items, or to identify them in the first place
- are required in order to remove specific curses or cure specific magical diseases

I think of these sorts of spells as magical access codes for particular systems.

zorba1994
2012-01-28, 05:41 PM
Summon Arrow to the Knee
Fires a knee-height arrow. Target must make a Will save against suddenly wanting a steady job.

archon_huskie
2012-01-29, 09:26 AM
Summon Arrow to the Knee
Fires a knee-height arrow. Target must make a Will save against suddenly wanting a steady job.

creatures without knees are immune of course.

Daremonai
2012-01-29, 11:40 AM
Summon Grammar-Horror
Target: 10 pages of written material/level
Turns target writing in near-gibberish. The writing is still readable (barely) but is so full of spelling errors, mispunctuation, and poorly phrased sentences that it takes 4 times as long as normal to read it. Anyone attempting to do so must suceed on a concentration check (DC 15) every 5 minutes, or develop a splitting headache.

That spell is underpowered - you can get Summon Fanfiction one level lower. The damage is more variable, but can be far more devastating.

Ravens_cry
2012-01-29, 11:35 PM
What if the Dragon was in flight or some other manner in which the shadow is not connected to its object. Hang on, I've got to go creat a whole new school of magic for my home-brewed world.
Well, given how it's written, it doesn't matter, the target can't move more than 5 feet from it's shadow, flying or not. But even if it wasn't, getting it to land on some pretence and having a spell-caster ready an action to cast the spell/chuck the dagger would still make it a real dragon immobilizer for most types.