14th|+14/+9/+4|+9|+4|+4|Bonus Feat|3|2|2|1

15th|+15/+10/+5|+9|+5|+5|Quick Cast (+1 use)|3|2|2|2

16th|+16/+11/+6/+1|+10|+5|+5|Radiance 3/day|3|3|2|2

17th|+17/+12/+7/+2|+10|+5|+5|Greater Angelic Visage|3|3|3|2

18th|+18/+13/+8/+3|+11|+6|+6|Bonus Feat|4|3|3|2

19th|+19/+14/+9/+4|+11|+6|+6|Quick Cast +(+1 use)|4|4|4|3

20th|+20/+15/+10/+5|+12|+6|+6|Radiance 4/day, Razia's Blessing|4|4|4|4
[/table]

Class Skills (2 + Int modifier): Climb, Concentration, Craft, Handle Animal, Intimidate, Jump, Knowledge (Arcane), Knowledge (History), Profession, Ride, Spellcraft, and Swim.

Weapon & Armor Proficiencies
A Boros Legionnaire is proficient with all simple and martial weapons; with all light, medium, and heavy armors, and with all shields (including Tower Shields).

Bonus Feats
At 1st level, 2nd level, and at every fourth level thereafter, a Boros Legionnaire gains a bonus feat which be any feat from the list of Fighter Bonus Feats. A Boros Legionnaire must meet the prerequisite of any feat gained in this way. A Boros Legionnaire counts as a Fighter of his level for the purposes of meeting the prerequisites of these feats.

Cadet's Wards (Sp): A 3rd level Boros Legionnaire may spend 10 minutes casting rudimentary wards upon himself to grant himself immunity to the Dazed and Stunned conditions as well as to magic Fatigue, Exhaustion, and Sleep effects. These wards have a 24 hour duration and can be dispelled or suppressed, but may be re-cast at-will. Boros Legionnaires can, and typically do, cast these wards during the hour used to regain their spell slots (see Spells below).

Spells
At 4th level a Boros Legionnaire masters the ability to cast arcane spells drawn from the Boros Legionnaire spell list, gaining a caster level equal to his class level - 3, and learning two 1st level Boros Legionnaire spells. He casts spells he knows spontaneously as a Sorcerer does. He knows a number of spells as given in the table below.

In order to cast a Boros Legionnaire spell, a Boros Legionnaire must have an Intelligence modifier equal to 10 + spell level. The saving throw DC of a Boros Legionnaire spell he casts is equal to 10 + 1/2 class level + Charisma modifier. A Boros Legionnaire may receive bonus spell slots per day if he has a high Intelligence modifier.

Spells Known

{table]Level|1st|2nd|3rd|4th

1st|—|—|—|—

2nd|—|—|—|—

3rd|—|—|—|—

4th|2|—|—|—

5th|2|—|—|—

6th|3|—|—|—

7th|3|—|—|—

8th|3|2|—|—

9th|4|2|—|—

10th|4|3|—|—

11th|4|3|2|—

12th|5|3|2|—

13th|5|4|3|—

14th|5|4|3|2

15th|5|4|3|2

16th|6|5|4|3

17th|6|5|4|3

18th|6|5|4|3

19th|6|5|5|4

20th|6|5|5|4
[/table]

Boros Legionnaire Spell List

1st level
Aid, Alarm, Align Weapon, Beastland FerocitySC, Critical StrikeSC, Cure Moderate Wounds, Divine Favor, Entropic Shield, Foundation of StoneSC, Guided ShotSC, Greater Magic Weapon, HawkeyeSC, Hunter's MercySC, Jump, Lesser Energized ShieldSC, Lightning Bolt, LionheartSC, Longstrider, Magic Vestment, NightshieldSC, ResurgenceSC, Rhino's RushSC, Shield of Faith, Strategic ChargeSC, Stretch WeaponPHB2, Swift HasteSC, True Strike, Weapon ShiftSC, Whirling BladeSC, Whispering Wind, ZealSC.

2nd level
Animalistic PowerPHB2, Barkskin, Bear's Endurance, BladeweaveSC, Bull's Strength, Burning SwordSC, Cat's Grace, Cure Critical Wounds, Electric VengeancePHB2, Energized ShieldSC, Fireball, Flame Arrow, Hunter's EyePHB2, Improved Nightshield1, Lesser IronguardSC, Lion's ChargeSC, Infernal WoundSC, Knight's MoveSC, Living UndeathSC, Meteoric StrikePHB2, Protection from Arrows, Sonic WeaponSC, Summon WeaponCM, Strength of StoneSC, Swift FlySC.

3rd level
Air Walk, Arrow StormSC, Blade StormSC, Delay DeathSC, Diamond SteelSC, Dolorous BlowSC, DragonskinSC, Find the GapSC, Fire Shield, Girallon's BlessingSC, Greater Electric VengeancePHB2, Greater Nightshield2, Hide from DragonsSC, Mass ResurgenceSC, PanaceaSC, Reverse ArrowsSC, Sonic ShieldPHB2, Weapon of EnergySC, Weapon of the DeitySC.

4th level
Chasing PerfectionPHB2, Dimension JumperCM, Draconic MightSC, Fires of PuritySC, Freedom of Movement, Heal, Heart of EarthCM, Heart of StoneSC, IronguardSC, Lightning LeapCM, Overland Flight, Prismatic BowCM, Righteous Might, Sheltered VitalitySC, Stoneskin, Superior Nightshield3, ThunderlanceSC, VulnerabilitySC.

Footnotes

1 - As Nightshield, except duration 1 hour, the bonus to saves becomes untyped, and, in addition to immunity to magic missiles, you are immune to a single spell or spell-like ability up to 2nd level.

2 - As Nightshield, except duration 24 hours, +4 untyped bonus to saves, and, in addition to immunity to magic missiles, you are immune to one spell or spell-like ability per four levels each up to 3rd level.

3 - As Nightshield, except duration 24 hours, +6 untyped bonus to saves, and, in addition to immunity to magic missiles, you are immune to all spells and spell-like abilities up to 2nd level as well as one spell or spell-like ability per four levels each up to 4th level.

Warrior Mage (Ex): A 4th level Boros Legionnaire casts arcane spells from the Boros Legionnaire spell list, but he may wear any type of armor without incurring the normal chance of arcane spell failure. Furthermore, he may complete the somatic gestures of his spells even with his hands full as long as he wields a manufactured weapon in at least one of his hands, and finally he may treat any manufactured weapon as the focus component of his spells.

Officer's Mount (Ex); Upon reaching 5th level, a Boros Legionnaire gains the service of an unusually intelligent, strong, and loyal steed to serve him in his endeavors. This mount is usually a heavy warhorse (for a Medium character) or a warpony (for a Small character). The Officer's Mount is a typical example of its species except for the adjustments and abilities detailed below.

Creature Type - The mount's type changes from Animal to Magical Beast, increasing its HD to d10s and its base attack bonus to +1/HD.

Saving Throws The Officer's Mount uses its own save bonuses or the Boros Legionnaire's, whichever is higher.

Intelligence - The Officer's Mount has an Intelligence score of 7. At every fourth level after 5th, the mount's Intelligence increases by 1.

Hit Dice - The Officer's Mount gains 2 extra Hit Dice at 5th level, plus one extra HD at 6th through 10th levels, plus one extra HD at every even level after 10th.

Natural Armor - The Officer's Mount gains a +4 bonus to natural armor at 5th level, which increases by +1 at every odd level after 5th.

Str/Dex/Con - The Officer's Mount gets a +3 bonus to Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution at 5th level. At every fourth level after 5th, the mount's Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution scores increase by 1 each.

Bonus Tricks - At 5th level, the Officer's Mount learns two additional tricks, as taught by the Handle Animal skill, but without needing the Boros Legionnaire to spend any time or make the skill checks required to teach the tricks. At every third level after 5th, the mount learns another bonus trick.

Link (Ex) - A Boros Legionnaire can handle his mount as a free action, or push it as a move action, even if he doesn’t have any ranks in the Handle Animal skill. The Boros Legionnaire gains a +5 circumstance bonus on all Handle Animal and Ride checks made regarding the mount, +1 per two levels beyond 5th.

Share Spells (Ex) - At the Boros Legionnaire’s option, he may have any spell (but not any spell-like ability) he casts on himself also affect his mount. This works just like the ability of a Druid's Animal Companion.

Evasion (Ex) - The Officer's Mount benefits from the Evasion ability, as a Rogue.

Mettle (Ex) - The Officer's Mount benefits from the Mettle ability, as a Crusader.

Loyalty (Ex) - If the Officer's Mount is subject to a Charm or Compulsion effect that would cause it to harm the Boros Legionnaire or put the Boros Legionnaire into harm's way, then that effect automatically ends (before harm can be done).

Improved Speed (Ex) - Starting at 7th level, a Boros Legionnaire's Officer's Mount gains a +10ft bonus to its speed. This bonus increases by 10ft at 11th level and every four levels thereafter.

Multiattack - Starting at 9th level, a Boros Legionnaire's Officer's Mount gains the Multiattack feat as a bonus feat. If the mount already has that feat it gains the Improved Multiattack feat as a bonus feat even if it doesn't meet the prerequisites.

Command - Starting at 13th level, once per day per two Boros Legionnaire levels, the Officer's Mount can use this ability to command any normal animal of approximately the same kind as itself (for warhorses and warponies, this category includes donkeys, mules, and ponies), as long as the target creature has fewer Hit Dice than the mount. This ability functions like the Command spell. Each target may attempt a Will save (DC 10 + ½ paladin’s level + paladin’s Cha modifier) to negate the effect.

Improved Evasion & Improved Mettle (Ex) - Starting at 17th level, the Officer's Mount's Evasion and Mettle abilities improve to their Improved versions.

Quick Cast (Ex): Starting at 7th level, a Boros Legionnaire can cast a number of Boros Legionnaire spells per day, with casting times no longer than a full-round action, as swift actions. This does not increase the level of the spell slot require to cast the spell as the Quicken Spell feat does. The Boros Legionnaire may use this ability a number of times each day equal to 1 + his Intelligence modifier (minimum 1) and gains additional uses of this ability every four levels after 7th.

Radiance (Su): Starting at 8th level, at the Boros Legionnaire’s option, he may have any spell (but not any spell-like ability) that is cast on himself also affect all allies within 30ft or all enemies within 30ft. He may only use this ability 1/day, plus an additional time each day every four levels after 8th.

Lesser Angelic Visage (Sp): Starting at 9th level, while a Boros Legionnaire benefits from his Cadet's Wards he gains a +4 enhancement bonus to Charisma and Resistance 10 to cold, electricity, and fire.

Improved Angelic Visage (Sp): Starting at 13th level, while a Boros Legionnaire benefits from his Cadet's Wards he has Low-light Vision and Darkvision 60ft (or his existing Darkvision improves by 60ft), his Resistance to cold, electricity, and fire improves to 20, and he gains Damage Reduction 10/magic.

Greater Angelic Visage (Sp): Starting at 17th level, while a Boros Legionnaire benefits from his Cadet's Wards his enhancement bonus to Charisma grows to +6; his Darkvision pierces even magical darkness; his Resistance to cold, electricity, and fire improves to 30; and his Damage Reduction improves to 15/evil and magic.

Razia's Blessing (Su): At 20th level, a Boros Legionnaire's type changes to Outsider (Native), though he may be resurrected normally. He gains a +4 perfection bonus to his Charisma score, a +2 perfection bonus to his Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution scores, is immune to disease and poison, gains Spell Resistance 35 and a pair of white, feathered wings that grant him a fly speed equal to twice his land speed at good maneuverability.

http://www.wizards.com/magic/images/mtgcom/arcana300/985_boros3.jpg

Ravnica: City of Guilds
The Azorius Logistician, the Boros Legionnaire, the Dimir Secretkeeper, the Golgari Graveborne, the Gruul Bloodbreaker, the Izzet Mathmagican, the Orzhov Ghostwayman, the Rakdos Hellraiser, the Selesnya Convoker, and the Simic Visionary.

Othesemo
2012-01-25, 08:40 PM
Man, Ravnica was a looong time ago. It was one of the better sets, I think.

Anyways, the class seems unnecessarily void of abilities past 6th level. Perhaps a version of Radiance that goes by alignment? I'm not sure how I'd implement it without just making everything a chain spell, but that was one of the more notable features of Boros.

Oh, and on the subject of a capstone, I believe that apotheosis would be quite fitting, especially considering the role of angels within the Boros.

Anyways, good luck with the class. Sorry I can't help more.

Ziegander
2012-01-26, 12:31 AM
Anyways, the class seems unnecessarily void of abilities past 6th level. Perhaps a version of Radiance that goes by alignment? I'm not sure how I'd implement it without just making everything a chain spell, but that was one of the more notable features of Boros.

Hmm, I could add in a Radiance X/day thing starting 1/day at 7th and increasing by 1 every four levels thereafter allowing him to share spells with allies within a certain radius. I like the sound of that.

Oh, and on the subject of a capstone, I believe that apotheosis would be quite fitting, especially considering the role of angels within the Boros.

Also not a bad idea. I think I can do that.

Gnorman
2012-01-26, 05:20 AM
As usual, the quality of your work continues to bowl me over.

At a cursory glance, I can't see anything wrong with this and it looks like it'd be a blast to play.

Ziegander
2012-01-26, 10:59 AM
I want to attempt to work on the Azorius Logistician next, because the concept of an adventuring politician intrigues me, but it's tough to wrap my mind around it.

Thanks for the compliments, Gnorman.

Rapidghoul
2012-01-26, 12:36 PM
I think the class covers the theme of Boros pretty well. I like that you have Radiance turn spells into area effects (very nice!), and the paladin / duskblade / fighter combo is good flavor.

A couple things though, for combining those three classes, you seem make the class a little... everything. Making it count as Level-2 for Fighter level as Swordsage, giving the armored caster in chunks as duskblade does rather than all at once, etc. would make the class seem less burst-y and more scaling.

For the cadet wards, permanent duration is a little much for such a low level, especially for a class that is not a primary caster. Even with 10 minute casting and dispel-ability, it's like having a regular constant ability that you can lose randomly from a pissed off mage. It could easily be a 24 hour duration to be part of the daily spellcasting preparation time (especially since it's a spontaneous caster and doesn't have anything to do during that time).

Speaking of which, Int based casting with Cha based DC's for a spontaneous caster is a little weird. Spontaneous casters are typically Cha based, but there are exceptions (Beguiler, Duskblade, etc.). However, you give such a focus on Cha, and the only thing the class seems to base off Cha is DC. It would be nice to either see more abilities that benefit from this or putting all the spellcasting into Cha. Splitting the casting between two stats just adds to the MAD that gishes already suffer.

That said, I like the class. Good work :smallbiggrin:

Ziegander
2012-01-26, 01:08 PM
For the cadet wards, permanent duration is a little much for such a low level, especially for a class that is not a primary caster. Even with 10 minute casting and dispel-ability, it's like having a regular constant ability that you can lose randomly from a pissed off mage. It could easily be a 24 hour duration to be part of the daily spellcasting preparation time (especially since it's a spontaneous caster and doesn't have anything to do during that time).

I like the idea of making it part of his daily spell prep routine. I'll go ahead and change it to 24 hour duration, with a 10 minute cast time that he can be done as part of the normal hour required to recover spell slots.

Speaking of which, Int based casting with Cha based DC's for a spontaneous caster is a little weird. Spontaneous casters are typically Cha based, but there are exceptions (Beguiler, Duskblade, etc.). However, you give such a focus on Cha, and the only thing the class seems to base off Cha is DC. It would be nice to either see more abilities that benefit from this or putting all the spellcasting into Cha. Splitting the casting between two stats just adds to the MAD that gishes already suffer.

Well, I just figured, these guys go to military academies to learn their spells, so I expect them to be a bit smarter than average. How would you feel about granting additional uses of Quick Cast per day based on Intelligence?

EDIT: In other news, the Azorius Logistician (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=230278) is up! Enjoy!

Chronos
2012-01-26, 01:49 PM
For the first two levels, this is exactly identical to the basic Fighter. I'm not sure if that was intentional, but it does raise some issues you should be aware of. For one thing, it means that there's no reason for anyone to ever start out as a fighter: Taking your first two levels in this instead would leave you more options open. And Legionnaire 2/Fighter 2 would be strictly better than Fighter 4, since you'd get the same BAB and HD, but one more feat. I'd recommend only allowing this if you're going to prohibit the ordinary Fighter.

Ziegander
2012-01-26, 01:53 PM
For the first two levels, this is exactly identical to the basic Fighter. I'm not sure if that was intentional, but it does raise some issues you should be aware of. [...] I'd recommend only allowing this if you're going to prohibit the ordinary Fighter.

Yeah, it was intentional. I typically do prohibit the ordinary Fighter. More to the point, this is for a Ravnica campaign setting where only campaign-specific classes are allowed.

Chronos
2012-01-26, 05:54 PM
Oh, OK, if this is the setting's only equivalent to a fighter, it's not a problem. I was picturing these in addition to the PHB classes. I imagine that the Gruul one will be equivalent to the barbarian, then?

Also, make sure that you include, somewhere among your classes, some way of doing everything that players might need to do. In particular, you need ways to undo all the nasty things monsters might be able to inflict on them.

Mulletmanalive
2012-01-26, 08:30 PM
I"ve not bothered breaking out the Spell Compendium, so I'll just ask: how does this replicate First Strike and Double Strike, two abilities that were pretty closely tied to the Boros in the Ravnica set.

Also, this spell list seems to lack the ability to summon Flamekin [Fire elementals with that feat that allows them to explode when they die]