PDA

View Full Version : How the Comic Will End- Theory

Lord Tyger
2012-01-25, 08:36 PM
Largely just so, on the off chance I'm right, I can gloat about it afterwards. :smallcool:

I suspect that after all of the storylines with the gates is resolved, the strip will fast forward to the future where we will see our heroes aged to various degrees, in such situations that we will be able to see the character development inherent in the last storyline, as well as the fact that some aspects of them remain charmingly unchanged. Furthermore, a group of heroes to some degree connected with the OOTS (I would suspect Haley and Elan's child) will start an adventure. Someone will visit the grave of a deceased OOTS member. There will be a Harry Potter joke, and a joke about the new edition under which our new heroes will be playing.

Jaros
2012-01-25, 08:44 PM
In plot terms, I'd argue this would happen after the plot ends
/pedanticmusingsjustbecausethepossibilitywasnagging inthebackofmymind

I don't see any reason for a Harry Potter joke though, future-epilogues were hardly Rowling's idea

Ridureyu
2012-01-26, 01:57 AM
It will end with a minute and a half of Conway Twitty.

realroadcrossin
2012-01-26, 02:18 AM
Popcorn and Soda will mournfully bring Milk Duds' corpse to the proper receptacle. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0301.html)

turkishproverb
2012-01-26, 03:09 AM
realroadcrosisn-I..that's...

ti'esar
2012-01-26, 03:24 AM
Popcorn and Soda will mournfully bring Milk Duds' corpse to the proper receptacle. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0301.html)

...This is actually plausible.

ti'esar
2012-01-26, 03:32 AM
Whoops, double-post.

super dark33
2012-01-28, 11:47 AM
MAJOR SPOILERS DONT READ UNLESS YOU REALLY WANT O

The comic will end in

A black screen, with white words on it that say The end.

dont say i didnt warn you.

And thats quoting from anouter person!

NerfTW
2012-01-28, 12:41 PM
Largely just so, on the off chance I'm right, I can gloat about it afterwards. :smallcool:

I suspect that after all of the storylines with the gates is resolved, the strip will fast forward to the future where we will see our heroes aged to various degrees, in such situations that we will be able to see the character development inherent in the last storyline, as well as the fact that some aspects of them remain charmingly unchanged. Furthermore, a group of heroes to some degree connected with the OOTS (I would suspect Haley and Elan's child) will start an adventure. Someone will visit the grave of a deceased OOTS member. There will be a Harry Potter joke, and a joke about the new edition under which our new heroes will be playing.

I hope not. I hate those kind of endings. They're cliched and pointless. Especially when they do the "Everyone has kids and they resemble their parents and they form a team because all the kids are obviously friends because their parents are!" thing.

I'd prefer the STORY ends. Not the characters. I don't need to get a 5 page recap of everything else they'll do in their lives. That's not relevant to the plot. If it was, it would happen within the story, not as an epilogue. We should know Elan and Haley are getting together. That Roy is doing whatever path Roy will be following. That Durkon is doing what makes him happy, if he's still alive. That V has come to terms with his/her superiority complex. Those are the plot threads that need closure. If something happens later to affect those threads, then hey, that's later. The future is unknowable. But the closure needs to happen in the story, not as an afterthought.

I don't need to be shown 20 years in the future "Hey, they all turned out all right!". That's just lazy storytelling.

Ravian
2012-01-28, 01:52 PM
I can imagine at least Elan and Haley will get a flash-forward since
1. It's a cliche, so as a bard he needs to show it
2. A bit of confirmation on Elan's happy ending

The others may or may not

Belkar and Durkon will most likely be dead due to their respective prophecies

V may attempt to go back to Inkyrius and their children, or may simply live in Arcane solitude for the rest of hir lifetime (if V doesn't get a happy ending)

Roy either settles down with Celia, continues adventuring or may die and exist in a blissful afterlife

Yana
2012-01-28, 01:59 PM
I'm still partial to a full page of Blackwing and his sombrero for the final comic.

MReav
2012-01-28, 08:46 PM
In fire! Obligatory Babylon Five Reference.

t209
2012-01-28, 08:54 PM
Here's a hint to the comic ending (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0326.html)?
One thing I know is that Azure City will be like Constantinople.

silvadel
2012-01-29, 12:42 PM
The world is unmade -- and the goblins are primary in 3.0 and we see Elan and Haley reborn as goblins.

Ravian
2012-01-29, 07:16 PM
The world is unmade -- and the goblins are primary in 3.0 and we see Elan and Haley reborn as goblins.

I doubt it, New Genesis is an interesting ending (That's what follows the Ragarok in norse mythology) but the only problem is it means that ultimately the heroes failed. I guess what I'm saying is that I'm far too atached to this world to let it be undone when the possibility of fixing goblin equality exists without the need for the plan or unmaking the whole frickin world.

My opinion is that there will be a "We lost..." moment, that could involve plummeting into the rift, or Xykon using the rift to unmake the gods and replace them or something along those lines, but a comeback follows it. We already know that the rifts are not as they seem, so I see no reason that falling into rift= game over.

TheBossBoy
2012-01-30, 11:53 PM
In my opinion, here's how I think it will end:
the big fight:
Roy and Xykon fight, and towards the end, Roy destroys the phylactery and kills Xykon and either dies/almost dies in the process.
Afterwards, though, Redcloak and the rest of "Team Evil" prove to be an equal threat. The Order almost dies, but then... the MitD accidentally kills Redcloak.
After the battle, the year is ending, so
1. Belkar dies in some random way.
2. Belkar "makes the prophecy come true", and cheats death in some random way (I.e., he scribbles a picture of himself dying:smallbiggrin:)
And then an epilogue.