PDA

View Full Version : An OotS Death Pool

RSLee
2012-01-25, 11:04 PM
Well, we seem to be losing a lot of re-occuring characters as of late and, I'd like to start up a little game. I would like to start a little game. A game known as the Dead Pool.

For those who are unaware of the term or just have a certain red and black mercenary on the mind, a Dead Pool is a game where you take bets on who will be the next to die. There won't be any actual money up for grabs, of course, so the only real prize is bragging rights.

Whenever a character is killed off, we will begin a new round of betting. Anybody who had bet on that character's death will be awarded a point. Then everybody (even the people who didn't guess right), will be asked to make a new bet for the next round.

I'd like to set a few ground rules, though.

1. a) The character who dies generally has to have at least ten appearances in their name. For example, if the Order of the Stick were to suddenly come across a Cave Troll, you would not be allowed to bet on the Troll. The characters you bet on have to have some significance.

b) If the character happens to be very significant to the story and has had enough dialogue, I am willing to make certain exceptions. I will make it clear which characters qualify.

2. You can only bet on one character at a time.

3. You can not change your bet unless a character has been killed off. For example, if you'd nominated Belkar and a dragon were to swoop in and attack Nale, you wouldn't be allowed to suddenly change your vote to Nale.

4. You are allowed to bet on the same person more than once. For example, let's say that you had bet on O'Chul. If Lien were to be killed off, you would still be allowed to keep betting on O'Chul's death for as many rounds as you wish.

5. Characters who die in flashbacks do not count. For example, if the comic were to flashback to ten years ago and we saw Girard Draketooth dying of old age, then it would not count as a death. They have to die during the actual events of the comic.

6. Characters who are resurrected still count as having died. If Jirix were to be killed and then immediately resurrected by Redcloak, then it wouldn't change anything. The people who bet on his death would still get the points.

7. Multiple people are allowed to vote for the same character.

8. (a) If a character is put in a dangerous situation and then later discovered to have died off-panel, anybody who bet on that character will be awarded a point upon discovery of the corpse. For example, imagine if Belkar were to get lost in the forest. If the Order of the Stick were to stumble upon his corpse several strips later and learned that he had starved to death, then anybody who bet on Belkar would receive a point as soon as his death is confirmed.

(b) However, if this death conflicts with rule 5 and a character from flashbacks is discovered to have retroactively died, then no points will be awarded. For example, if somebody were to bet on Girard Draketooth, and the Order of the Stick stumbled upon his skeleton, then nobody would get a point.

9. If two characters are killed in the same strip, then points will be rewarded to anybody who bet on either character. For example, if Blackwing were to be eaten by a dog at the beginning of a strip and then V were to be killed by the same dog during the last panel of the same strip, then anybody who voted for either V or Blackwing would receive a point.

10. If characters who can't be killed by conventional means are temporarily destroyed, it will count as a death. For example, if Xykon were to be destroyed, then anybody who bet on him will still get points, even if his phylactery survives and he regenerates a few strips later.

11. You are not allowed to bet on a group. You have to choose a specific individual. For example, you would not be able to say "I bet that somebody from the Linear Guild will die". You have to specify which member it will be.

12. Characters who die in supplementary material do not qualify for the Death Pool. They have to die within the actual comic. For example, if "Haleo and Julelan" were to feature the non-canon deaths of Haley and Elan, then it would be ineligible for the pool.

Specific Rulings

- The Demon Roaches do not count on the Death Pool. None of them have any individuality or names.
-The flumphs are also disqualified for a similar reason.
Personally, my first bet is on Chancellor Kilkil (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0718.html), the flying Kobloid Chacellor. Because, well, he's a Kobloid. And he's been roped into fighting against Belkar. We all know how this story usually ends.

Current Bets

Chancellor Kilkil
RSLee
Squeejee
Cizak
The Glyphstone
EmperorSarda
Zigg'rrauglurr
Ferreroni
Sniffnoy
Anne Calie
Mr. Pants
ThePhantasm
Syklone
Verithrax
Johanz
Avangor
Toy Killer
Sajach
Ninja Dragon

Ian Starshine
Adoendithas

Zz'dtri
ti'esar
GreatEscape_13
Emulgator
EnragedFilia
Gurgeh
Vulkos
Obnoxious Hydra
Emperor Flumph
curtis
Squark

Jirix
Mr. Pink
Prowl
SheepInDisguise
bluewurm
ORione
EternalRuin
DemonRoach
twinkletoes
Turgon9357

Uncle Geoff
zimmerwald1915
dps
Peelee
Alaba Blackveil

Belkar
sparkyinbozo
Anarion
Vemynal
weso12
martianmister
toughluck
Dr. Gamera
Gift Jeraff
Petey7
Silver2195
oppyu
Dracarot
Dark Elf Bard
ella ventic

XykonAgnostik

Mr. Scruffy
IrnBruAddict
LudiDrizzt
DrBurr
Iferus
androkguz
The Grimmace

Tarquin
G-Man Graves
Bulldog Psion
Miklus

Durkon
Bad Hair Day
Jan Mattys
Knight.Anon
The Squirrel
onionbreath
PhantomDennis

Thog
Sith_Happens
Oscredwin

Nale
Ellye
Redgoblin
AlfredAmeoba
squidbreath
Elan
Uchiha Richard

Enor
Hazzardevil

Malack
Cisturn
Dark Matter
Seharvepernfan
Pory
Keeper of Starlight

Miko
blackjack217

Haley
The Second

SabineLord Ruby34

Niu
smasher0404

Blackwing
sr123
Qarr
Lintecarka
Ravian

Vaarsuvius
Sonata Arctica

Point totals
Pory: 1 point (Yuyuk)
Ravian: 1 point (Yuyuk)
ella ventic: 1 point (Yuyuk)
Seharvepernfan: 1 point (Yuyuk)
ThePhantasm: 1 point (Yuyuk)
Giddon: 1 point (Yuyuk)
PhantomDennis: 1 point (Yuyuk)
Johanz: 1 point (Yuyuk)
Cleverdan22: 1 point (Yuyuk)
Dr. Gamera: 1 point (Yuyuk)
Endon the White: 1 point (Yuyuk)
Petey7: 1 point (Yuyuk)
olthar : 1 point (Yuyuk)
Squark: 1 point (Yuyuk)
Orsen: 1 point (Yuyuk)
GnomeGninjas: 1/2 points (Demon Roaches)

Adoendithas
2012-01-25, 11:07 PM
My vote is for Ian Starshine.

ti'esar
2012-01-26, 01:30 AM
Hmm, this is a bit difficult - I have a very strong suspicion as to who the next major character to die will be, but a few less significant characters will almost certainly bite it first.

So I think I'm going to go with Zz'dtri - I suspect the All-New All-Different Linear Guild is going to take losses up to possibly a TPK, and of all the members, I think he's the most "expendable" and thus most likely to die first.

(By the way, it would make more sense and confuse less comics fans if you called this a Death Pool).

Mr. Pink
2012-01-26, 01:41 AM
(By the way, it would make more sense and confuse less comics fans if you called this a Death Pool).[/QUOTE]

I thought I was in for potentially the greatest crossover fanfic ever, but still I think this is a cool idea.

I think that the next character to die will be Jirix killed in a fit of rage by Xykon

zimmerwald1915
2012-01-26, 01:57 AM
Hmm, I would very much like to suggest Orrin Draketooth, since Gate guardians seem to end up dead more reliably than their pursuers, but it seems he has fewer than ten appearances.

Put me down for Uncle Geoff.

sparkyinbozo
2012-01-26, 02:01 AM
Belkar, for teh drama.

Squeejee
2012-01-26, 03:40 AM
My money's on KilKil too, actually. Betting on someone who's going to fight Belkar is always smart money - the only question is whether or not somebody else will die first.

Agnostik
2012-01-26, 07:14 AM
Xykon.

Too soon? :smallwink:

Pory
2012-01-26, 07:32 AM
My bet is on Yukyuk unless he and V work together in a new and exciting adventure like Thog and Elan :smallbiggrin:

Prowl
2012-01-26, 07:34 AM
Given the situation presently, I vote for Jirix.

Cizak
2012-01-26, 07:46 AM
I'll go with Kilkil. I think Belkar will be happy to see him since he missed Yukyuk.

ella ventic
2012-01-26, 09:27 AM
Rules questions:

1) Is this limited to actual, on-screen deaths? For example: it's been implied that Girard might be dead and that care of the Gate has devolved upon his descendants, but we don't know for sure that the patriarch has in fact died. If we find out that he has, does he count as the "next" main character to go even though his death was likely some time ago?

2) Since this is a world with resurrection spells, do points get deducted again if the character rejoins the living? What about if it's clear by the end of the comic they die in that they'll be resurrected? What about if they are raised as an undead with their own soul? Without? Etc. etc.

...Why yes, I'm an insufferable pedant in real life, too, why do you ask? :smallamused:

oppyu
2012-01-26, 09:42 AM
I'll go long and say Redcloak. It's unlikely, but I have a sneaking suspicion that his recent badassery is just Rich throwing him a bone.

The Glyphstone
2012-01-26, 09:53 AM
(By the way, it would make more sense and confuse less comics fans if you called this a Death Pool).

I thought I was in for potentially the greatest crossover fanfic ever, but still I think this is a cool idea.
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, me too (the crossover thing). The 4th wall is thin enough in OoTS already, I can't imagine anything would be left once the Merc With A Mouth got through with it.

My vote is Kilkil as well.

Howler Dagger
2012-01-26, 09:54 AM
Jirix is looking lucky today.

GreatEscape_13
2012-01-26, 09:54 AM
I'm tempted to hedge my bets with Chancellor Kilkil, but I'm going to make my choice for Zz'drti. Any bonus points for choosing how he goes? Gonna bet that V does the deed, but not by intention (rather by accident or fallout from a spell that is instead designed to incapacitate him).

Cheers.

bluewurm
2012-01-26, 10:39 AM
I'll go with Jirix as well, you'd get pretty bad odds on him considering that last we saw Xykon had his hands around his throat, and we all know that Xykon kills things just for fun. He's still a "winner" if Redcloak casts Raise dead, right?

EmperorSarda
2012-01-26, 10:43 AM
By the subject line I thought we were going to talk about a Stick Figure implementation of Dead Pool (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deadpool), not a betting pool. I am disappointed.

My vote goes to the flying lizard for who dies next though.

Ravian
2012-01-26, 11:05 AM
Gonna go for Yukyuk, since likely that's where the story will go after team evil, and once that domination wears off V's going to either work with him or kill him. And lets face it, people who are cruel to animals are bound to die.

Edit: Plus he's redundant with Kilkil now

IrnBruAddict
2012-01-26, 11:29 AM
Mr Scruffy. I think he will die before Belkar. Hope I'm wrong but I'm placing my bet.

dps
2012-01-26, 11:37 AM
Rules questions:

1) Is this limited to actual, on-screen deaths? For example: it's been implied that Girard might be dead and that care of the Gate has devolved upon his descendants, but we don't know for sure that the patriarch has in fact died. If we find out that he has, does he count as the "next" main character to go even though his death was likely some time ago?

2) Since this is a world with resurrection spells, do points get deducted again if the character rejoins the living? What about if it's clear by the end of the comic they die in that they'll be resurrected? What about if they are raised as an undead with their own soul? Without? Etc. etc.

...Why yes, I'm an insufferable pedant in real life, too, why do you ask? :smallamused:

And another question: are we allowed to bet on a character that someone else has already bet on? Traditionally, in these things, that's not allowed, but it's RSLee's pool, so it's his call.

If we can double up, I'll take Uncle Geoff. Otherwise, gee, hmm, not many decent choices left. I guess Lien.

LudiDrizzt
2012-01-26, 11:45 AM
Sure it is. Plenty of websites do this with celebrities, except you make a list of who will die within the year, and get points for each one who croaks.

Anyway, I vote for Mr. Scruffy.

More importantly, could we get a list of everyone's votes in the first post, divided up by character?

Zigg'rrauglurr
2012-01-26, 11:48 AM
And another question: are we allowed to bet on a character that someone else has already bet on? Traditionally, in these things, that's not allowed, but it's RSLee's pool, so it's his call.

I assume we can, so Kilkil.

If not, Nale, nastily.

ella ventic
2012-01-26, 12:49 PM
Hm, all right, YukYuk for me then.

G-Man Graves
2012-01-26, 02:03 PM
Tarquin. I said it.

Bad Hair Day
2012-01-26, 04:11 PM
I know that Belkar's time is quickly counting down. I also figure Kilkil will outlive Belkar, if Kilkil doesn't kill Belkar outright. But I'm going to go out on a limb and say Durkon dies next, and at the hand of Malack.

I'm not sure who would cast Resurrection on him, because it's probably too soon in the comic for Durkon to be completely out of the picture. But we do know from the prophesy that Durkon only goes home to the dwarven lands in a short pine box.

ORione
2012-01-26, 07:21 PM
Xykon.

Too soon? :smallwink:

Too late, actually. Much too late. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0292.html) :smalltongue:

I'm going with Jirix. I think Xykon will strangle him, but Redcloak will ressurect him (again).

Gift Jeraff
2012-01-26, 07:22 PM
I want to say Ian or Geoff, but they might be out of the story for quite a while. So I guess I'll go with Kilkil, but not because of Belkar's kobold slaying. It's just that, out of all the characters heading for Girard's Gate, he strikes me as the least important.

RSLee
2012-01-26, 08:12 PM
Okay. I've added a few rules in order to answer a few of the questions. I've also recorded the current bets in order to make it all easier to keep track of.

t209
2012-01-26, 08:21 PM
Entire Linear Guild! or at least Nale and Tarquin.
and leaving Sabine with Nale's child!

Anarion
2012-01-26, 08:30 PM
Interesting thread.

I'm going to put my bet down for Belkar.

With Tsukiko's recent departure and the death of the resistance, we've just had a major shakeup, which makes me think that the loss of any minor characters right now wouldn't have a huge impact. So I think everyone present will be okay until the next round of major events. At that point, it's a bit of a toss-up between Belkar and one of Haley's relatives, but I'm going to bet on Belkar just because his death is impactful enough that probably nobody else will die right before him.

EternalRuin
2012-01-26, 08:33 PM
I for one would like to place my bet on... Jirix. If he's not going to die again right now, he's bound to die again later :smallwink:

Sith_Happens
2012-01-26, 08:48 PM
Does Thog count? He's been a Schrodinger's villain for a while now, although it's extremely unlikely that he'll be observed before all this Windy Canyon business is at least near completion. Still, no one seems to have said him yet, so presuming we're allowed to bet on characters who may or may not already be dead then go ahead and put me down for :thog:.

androkguz
2012-01-26, 11:31 PM
I'm betting on Jirix too. Lots of people make reasonable asumptions, but since this team evil scene is already had so many deaths and Xykon already has a good reason to kill him. Even if Redcloak hands him the phylactery, when have we seen Xykon have mercy? It's not like he has a reason to let him live, like he did with Redcloak and Right-Eye.

RSLee
2012-01-27, 12:34 AM
Does Thog count? He's been a Schrodinger's villain for a while now, although it's extremely unlikely that he'll be observed before all this Windy Canyon business is at least near completion. Still, no one seems to have said him yet, so presuming we're allowed to bet on characters who may or may not already be dead then go ahead and put me down for :thog:.

Sure. I'll count Thog. And I'll even add a new rule to signify this.

Keeper of Starlight
2012-01-27, 12:40 AM
My bet's on Jirix.

ti'esar
2012-01-27, 12:57 AM

I would say that Thog being declared definitively "dead" would count as the next character to die, even though it would have technically happened a while ago.

sparkyinbozo
2012-01-27, 01:40 AM
I'm kind of wondering if V will return from the ranch dressing plane to find an abandoned, crying Thog and rejoin the team with him only to

replace Belkar after he dies.

Vemynal
2012-01-27, 03:52 AM
Belkar! I think KillKill is gonna KillKill him

DemonRoach
2012-01-27, 03:58 AM
Hmmm....looking at 831 and hedging my bet, I'll throw down for Jirix.

G-Man Graves
2012-01-27, 04:45 AM
I'm kind of wondering if V will return from the ranch dressing plane to find an abandoned, crying Thog and rejoin the team with him only to

replace Belkar after he dies.

Not in a million years. Lest we forget, Roy more or less flew into murderous rage at the very site of Thog. Never getting on the roster.

ti'esar
2012-01-27, 06:33 AM
I'm puzzled at all the votes for Jirix - even considering the likelihood of his resurrection, Xykon choking him in the current strip is clearly mostly played for laughs. I'd be very surprised if it results in his death in 832.

Ellye
2012-01-27, 07:11 AM
Nale.

Tarquin will double-cross him, before triple-crossing the Order.

Jan Mattys
2012-01-27, 08:57 AM
Durkon.

I really, really hope I'm wrong on this.

DrBurr
2012-01-27, 11:49 AM
I was originally going to vote for Belkar but after reading some other people's posts I think I'm going to have to choose Mr.Scruffy, likely the cat will die and then Belkar will shortly follow.

Redgoblin
2012-01-27, 12:43 PM
I'm gonna have to go with Nale, he just doesn't serve any more purpose in the comic, and is now caught in a conflict between people much more powerful than he is.

Also, Malack hates him.

Ferreroni
2012-01-27, 03:17 PM
Chancellor Kilkil the kobold :belkar:

Bulldog Psion
2012-01-27, 03:50 PM
My vote is for Tarquin, since he has the possibility of being killed by a)the OotS, b) Malack, c) the Linear Guild, d) Girard or the Draketooths in general, and e) Xykon. He seems to have the highest number of potential sources of death around him, so to speak. He's kind of at a nexus where just about every major character in the comic at the moment has a reason to try to kill him in the next few strips.

ORione
2012-01-27, 04:44 PM
I'm puzzled at all the votes for Jirix - even considering the likelihood of his resurrection, Xykon choking him in the current strip is clearly mostly played for laughs. I'd be very surprised if it results in his death in 832.

Yeah, at first I was going to vote for someone else, under the assumption that Redcloak would save Jirix, but then I thought, "Maybe we're setting up for a Jirix resurrection gag."

Oscredwin
2012-01-27, 08:31 PM
I like the idea of Jynx being the Rory Williams of the OotS universe (Doctor Who reference). My bet is on Thog being certified dead.

Uchiha Richard
2012-01-27, 08:43 PM
I predict Elan is killed next. Yep, Elan.

Bulldog Psion
2012-01-27, 08:58 PM
I like the idea of Jynx being the Rory Williams of the OotS universe (Doctor Who reference). My bet is on Thog being certified dead.

What on Earth is a "Jynx"? :smallconfused:

IrnBruAddict
2012-01-27, 11:35 PM
A pokemon, number 124

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_T-djLcDDf-E/SiQoALhQR6I/AAAAAAAAAS4/6SYeyKNgzkQ/s400/124_-_Jynx.jpg

M.A.D
2012-01-28, 11:26 AM
What happens if someone, like Belkar for example, died off-panel, and we were told of his death only through a flashback?

Hazzardevil
2012-01-28, 12:01 PM
Can I bet on either the guy with a balberd or the guy with a morgage?
If not I vote on Enor.

Peelee
2012-01-28, 05:49 PM
I'd love to throw my money down on Thog, but even though I think he's currently dead, I don't think it'll be announced before someone else bites it. And I really, really think Kilkil will take down the Belkster, not the other way around. Put me down for Uncle Geoff!

Miklus
2012-01-28, 07:10 PM
My bet is on Tarquin too, for the reason stated. Too many people want to kill him. I'll also guess that Xykon does him in.

Tarquin: All my plans are comming together beautifully...Wait, who are you?
Xykon: ZAP! Who the hell was that nerd? Eh, nevermind.

t209
2012-01-28, 08:57 PM
Maybe Hinjo is next
A. Uriel Septim Style (Stabbed in the back)
B. Titus Mede style (face the assasin and let himself be killed)
C. Blood and bits or extra crispy.
Since V teleported to Xykon, they could retrace it back to the island.

Sniffnoy
2012-01-28, 09:56 PM
Put me down for Kilkil.

Cisturn
2012-01-28, 10:15 PM
I vote Malack. After a pretty lengthy battle with Durkon. In the last fight Durkon didn't get much love, I think he's going to turn it around in the next arc.

weso12
2012-01-28, 11:03 PM
Belkar it has been flat out stated pretty much

t209
2012-01-28, 11:04 PM
I vote Malack. After a pretty lengthy battle with Durkon. In the last fight Durkon didn't get much love, I think he's going to turn it around in the next arc.

Monster in the Darkness since
He at durkon's note to return to his homeland.

twinkletoes
2012-01-28, 11:20 PM
Given the situation presently, I vote for Jirix.

Yeah, Xykon will kill Jirix and then Redcloak will get mad at him.

skaddix
2012-01-29, 12:19 AM
I predict Elan is killed next. Yep, Elan.

Elan is the only character confirmed to live, he has to get happy ending.

ORione
2012-01-29, 12:21 AM

Well, it's not like death is permanent or anything...

Redgoblin
2012-01-29, 01:43 AM

Of course, going to the chaotic good afterlife with Haley could qualify as a happy ending (just a thought).

ti'esar
2012-01-29, 01:48 AM
Of course, going to the chaotic good afterlife with Haley could qualify as a happy ending (just a thought).

I'm pretty sure the Giant has said that the purpose of Elan's prophecy is to let the readers know that the comic as a whole has a happy ending, at least in the sense of "the world not being destroyed". So I don't see Elan's own fate being a "subversion" of the prophecy like that.

Not, as ORione points out, that it prevents him from dying in the meantime (though I'm not sure what the point of it would be).

Redgoblin
2012-01-29, 02:23 AM
I'm pretty sure the Giant has said that the purpose of Elan's prophecy is to let the readers know that the comic as a whole has a happy ending, at least in the sense of "the world not being destroyed". So I don't see Elan's own fate being a "subversion" of the prophecy like that.

I tend to agree. That post was more archfiend's advocate, than what I thought would happen.

veti
2012-01-29, 04:03 AM
Could you clarify something about the retroactive deaths rules?

You've said that if the corpse of Thog were to show up, that would count as his death. But if the skeleton of Girard Draketooth showed up, that wouldn't count.

But what's the difference, exactly? Unless there's a handy marker giving the date of death, how do you determine when it happened? And how long ago does it have to have been in order to not count?

Seharvepernfan
2012-01-29, 05:24 AM
I suspect Belkar will kill Yukyuk or vice versa.

I'm going with Yukyuk.

Seharvepernfan
2012-01-29, 05:28 AM
I suspect Belkar will kill Yukyuk or vice versa.

I'm going with Yukyuk.

RSLee
2012-01-29, 06:04 AM
Could you clarify something about the retroactive deaths rules?

You've said that if the corpse of Thog were to show up, that would count as his death. But if the skeleton of Girard Draketooth showed up, that wouldn't count.

But what's the difference, exactly? Unless there's a handy marker giving the date of death, how do you determine when it happened? And how long ago does it have to have been in order to not count?

The difference is that Thog's death would've happened during the comic, albeit not confirmed until later. Girard's death would've been a part of the comics backstory. And I'm not going to count somebody who died before making an appearance in the Present.

ti'esar
2012-01-29, 06:09 AM
For the record, the current leader in the pool is Jirix with ten votes, trailed closely by Kilkil with nine. Tied for third place, Belkar and Yukyuk, with just four votes apiece, aren't anywhere close to catching up.

GnomeGninjas
2012-01-29, 08:22 AM
It will be:
a demon roach

Iferus
2012-01-29, 09:01 AM
I'll vote for Mr Scruffy!

Alaba Blackveil
2012-01-29, 09:53 AM
I vote for Uncle Geoff!

martianmister
2012-01-29, 11:13 AM
Belkar and his *****.

EDIT: ***** = Kitty

blackjack217
2012-01-29, 11:22 AM
I predict Miko, rezed and killed off in one panel.

ThePhantasm
2012-01-29, 12:12 PM
I predict YukYuk.

ti'esar
2012-01-31, 01:32 AM
Well, it looks like ten people have just been rather disappointed.

t209
2012-01-31, 01:33 AM
Well, it looks like ten people have just been rather disappointed.

Jirix Lives!
Next- Hinjo or Linear Guild.

ORione
2012-01-31, 10:44 AM
Yeah, at first I was going to vote for someone else, under the assumption that Redcloak would save Jirix, but then I thought, "Maybe we're setting up for a Jirix resurrection gag."

Aw, man. I'm not allowed to change my vote, right?

Emulgator
2012-01-31, 12:07 PM
You know what, I vote for ZZ'dtri. If Tarquin betrays, he'll go first for the
competent, protected, not really significant, and propably low on Hit Points spellcaster.

Therefore if he dies, I won't be so dissapointed.

Turgon9357
2012-02-02, 06:09 PM
Put me down for Jirix, please.

Giddon
2012-02-03, 09:01 AM
My vote goes for YukYuk.

Also shouldn't there be like a deadline to post votes considering that,
a) We are near the end of an arc, or so it seems, so its a good moment to get votes in.
b) It's unfair if there is another situation like Tsukiko's where here death was iminent after 829, for people to vote for her after that strip.

RSLee
2012-02-03, 02:37 PM
I can't make a deadline. Simply because I don't know when any of the characters are getting killed off. It could be in the next strip or we could go fifty strips without any deaths.

I was tempted to make a rule against betting on characters who are in mortal danger. But, ultimately I decided that wouldn't be very fair. And besides, just because a character's in danger doesn't mean that they'll die. Look at Jirix, who got so many votes by being unlucky enough to get strangled by Xykon. If you're going to bet on a character for being in danger, that's fine. But if they manage to get out alive, then that just means that you wasted your bet by being too hasty.

Giddon
2012-02-03, 04:54 PM
Good point, hadnt thought of it that way. I guess it was just more predictable that Jirix wasn't in any real danger since Redcloak had what Xykon wanted.

curtis
2012-02-03, 05:37 PM
Put my imaginary chips on Uncle Geoff, good sir!

PhantomDennis
2012-02-04, 01:29 PM
I think the most immediate death will be Yukyuk. The Varsuuvius story hasn't been resolved yet. Presumably, the OotS will reunite before finding the gate. And you know Belkar will not let what he did go. My guess it will be Mr Scruffy (who rapidly turning into Nethack pet) that will take him down.

Johanz
2012-02-05, 02:03 PM
Agreeing with various other posters here,I feel that Yukyuk is most likely to die next. I mean come on! He hurt Mr. Scruffy! :smalleek: Although it might take a while, Vaarsuvius will probably find some kind of use for him, considering the Lv/day duration of dominate person. I'm still pretty confident that when he snaps out or ceases to be useful, our dear kobold shall bite the dust. :smallsmile:

The Second
2012-02-05, 02:45 PM
I'm going to bet the farm and go with Haley. Firstly because I love long shots, secondly because it would cause Elan to go mad with grief and rage and commit many awesome deeds in his quest for revenge.

Lord Ruby34
2012-02-05, 02:57 PM
Hmm, I'll say that Sabine goes next, followed shortly thereafter by Nale.

ThePhantasm
2012-02-05, 09:19 PM
I'm going to bet the farm and go with Haley. Firstly because I love long shots, secondly because it would cause Elan to go mad with grief and rage and commit many awesome deeds in his quest for revenge.

Not going to happen, since Elan is guaranteed a happy ending by prophecy.

ORione
2012-02-06, 09:36 AM
Not going to happen, since Elan is guaranteed a happy ending by prophecy.

Again, death isn't necessarily permanent.

Hey, if the roach is confirmed to have been killed, we can change our votes, right?

RSLee
2012-02-06, 09:44 AM
No. The demon roaches don't count. They are all nameless mooks and it is impossible to know whether that particular one made more than ten appearances. They don't qualify for the death pool.

ti'esar
2012-02-06, 01:22 PM
Yeah, the roaches are interchangeable.

GnomeGninjas
2012-02-06, 08:53 PM
Darn it I thought I had just won.:smallannoyed:

sr123
2012-02-06, 09:42 PM
The demon roaches don't count.

That's absolutely not fair - at least not without pre-warning for this round. The roaches have been a consistent and collective character, in that their appearance only occurs with their commentary. Furthermore, no individual roach has been killed up to this point.

GnomeGninjas made a terrific long-shot call, and I think, having it unclear in the rules that this didn't count, he/she deserves the congrats.

ti'esar
2012-02-06, 09:45 PM
Wait, he actually did bet on a roach? It's not there on the front page.

RSLee
2012-02-06, 09:57 PM
Yeah, I guess that he did. I just ignored the post at the time because I did not consider the Demon Roaches to qualify for character deaths.

Sorry. In retrospect, I should've made it clear when you first made your post that the Demon Roaches don't qualify. But that roach that died wasn't a character. It was a nameless, random mook. The Demon Roaches don't qualify for the pool anymore than a random Hobgoblin grunt would.

Knight.Anon
2012-02-07, 03:08 AM
I hate to say it but I think Durkon will go before Belkar. No cleric no resurrection. Both of them got "bad news" from the Oracle.

Durkon is lawful good and has to face Malak. Malak could one-shot him.

Bulldog Psion
2012-02-07, 03:50 AM
Well, I think the person with the Demon Roaches should get an honorable mention, at least.

ti'esar
2012-02-07, 03:51 AM
That seems fair. It was certainly one impressive guess.

Pory
2012-02-07, 05:43 AM
But we don't know if the demon roach is dead yet, it doesn't have X's in its eyes! lol jk :smalltongue: Definitely, GnomesGninjas deserve a special mention.

ORione
2012-02-07, 10:10 AM
Furthermore, no individual roach has been killed up to this point.

Not true. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0654.html)

I agree with you on everything else. I've always considered the demon roaches one collective character. But I can see where the other point of view is coming from.

sr123
2012-02-07, 01:48 PM
Not true. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0654.html)

Good catch, and good calls everyone. Now for GnomeGninja:

CLAP!CLAP!CLAP!CLAP! BRAVO! ENCORE!

Meanwhile, I haven't made a guess yet. Here's an even-longer shot:

An elemental (of broccoli?) in the Plane of Ranch Dressing.

Gift Jeraff
2012-02-07, 01:53 PM
I agree that GnomeGninjas deserves something. It was a very good call.

Cleverdan22
2012-02-07, 02:26 PM
Yeah, I'm putting down on YukYuk.

smasher0404
2012-02-07, 02:29 PM
I'm going for a long shot

I say Niu if she has had more than 10 appearances

then if not i guess Sabine

ella ventic
2012-02-07, 02:58 PM
I say Niu if she has had more than 10 appearances

She has; she's at 17. Yukyuk, on the other hand, has only had 5. I hope he still counts as significant, because he was my guess! (As well as a lot of other people's!)

RSLee
2012-02-07, 06:21 PM
Okay. I'm willing to give GnomeGninjas half a point. I still don't consider the Demon Roaches to qualify, but it's my fault for not specifying that it was an ineligable bet. I should've made it clear as soon as he made the bet, not now that it's turned out to be accurate.

In the future though, I will not be counting the Demon Roaches for the reasons that I've stated. This is just a one time exception. In the future, if someone bets on a character who doesn't qualify, I'll try to tell them before hand.

Speaking of which...

Meanwhile, I haven't made a guess yet. Here's an even-longer shot:

Okay. He DEFINITELY doesn't qualify. He's only made one appearance and is almost certain not going to be around much longer. I am not taking bets on an unnamed Ranch Dressing elemental!!!

She has; she's at 17. Yukyuk, on the other hand, has only had 5. I hope he still counts as significant, because he was my guess! (As well as a lot of other people's!)

Really? Only five appearances? Well, I think that I would make an exception for a character like Yukyuk. He has a personality, a name, and a fairly significant role. He's been apart of the story for a while now and I wouldn't feel right excluding him.

Also, I'd like a definitive bet from t209. Because, since the beginning of thread, you have guessed on the Linear Guild, Hinjo, and the MITD. You cannot bet on multiple characters, so I am going to need you to choose one person to bet on.

sr123
2012-02-07, 07:44 PM
Okay. He DEFINITELY doesn't qualify

Fascist.

But yes, I realized that just now. I'm going to say, then, BLACKWING. He's just starting to establish a real relationship with V -- it's the perfect time for him to get Joss'ed.

Cazaril
2012-02-07, 11:26 PM
I'm going to throw a vote in for Niu.

ti'esar
2012-02-07, 11:36 PM
Also, I'd like a definitive bet from t209. Because, since the beginning of thread, you have guessed on the Linear Guild, Hinjo, and the MITD. You cannot bet on multiple characters, so I am going to need you to choose one person to bet on.

He can't bet on the entire Linear Guild, can he?

RSLee
2012-02-08, 12:50 AM
He can't bet on the entire Linear Guild, can he? No. He cannot. He definitely can not. He can pick one guild member though

EnragedFilia
2012-02-08, 03:38 AM
I'm'm'a put my real fake money on Z (Zz'dtri). He's fairly powerful yet has little characterization as such, and is currently on the way to what will almost certainly turn into a significant battle.

ti'esar
2012-02-08, 03:41 AM
Since I see a vote up there for Xykon, let me ask - does having his body destroyed again count as "death" or not?

Lintecarka
2012-02-08, 06:02 AM
Since I see a vote up there for Xykon, let me ask - does having his body destroyed again count as "death" or not?

That question might be relevant for other characters as well, as outsiders may just be forced back into their native plane (see first demon roach death). Killing off Sabine for real might be a pretty hard task. Still I assume they fall under the 'resurrection'-clause.

If thats the case, my bet is on Quarr.

RSLee
2012-02-08, 08:40 PM
Okay, I've updated the rules to specifically mention groups and Xykon. That should clear up the current questions.

Sniffnoy
2012-02-08, 11:45 PM
First post nitpick: The character's name is Qarr, not Quarr.

oppyu
2012-02-09, 07:54 AM
Since the Demon-Roach death sort of counted, does that mean people can change their bets? Because I'm sure a lot of the Jirix voters would like to retract their vote now that he's no longer being throttled by an enraged Xykon?

Bulldog Psion
2012-02-09, 09:56 AM
Since the Demon-Roach death sort of counted, does that mean people can change their bets? Because I'm sure a lot of the Jirix voters would like to retract their vote now that he's no longer being throttled by an enraged Xykon?

My personal opinion is, no. Why should they be allowed to change their bets? :smallconfused: The person with the Demon-Roach didn't change their bet, and they weren't really right, either.

I'd say if you bet Jirix, your bet is still Jirix. One roach didn't change the rules of the game, IMO.

Dracarot
2012-02-09, 10:09 AM
Hmmm, I shall put my wager on Thog being the next to be confirmed dead.

Dark Matter
2012-02-09, 10:28 AM
give me: Malack

RSLee
2012-02-09, 02:53 PM
No, oppyu, this round of betting hasn't ended. Nobody is allowed to change votes yet. At least not until somebody who fully qualifies for the Death Pool is killed.

I still consider the Demon Roaches to be ineligible for the Death Pool (especially with the new Groups rule). GnomeGninjas is getting that half point because I failed to make it clear that they are ineligible until after the roach had died and he really doesn't deserve to go empty-handed over my mistake.

Ravian
2012-02-13, 12:55 PM
Hmmm.. The odds in favor of YukYuk's death seem to be increasing... Especially since KilKil has made him redundant

RSLee
2012-02-13, 06:49 PM
Agreed. I'd kind of hoped that he would outlive Kilkil by virtue of being stuck on a different plane of existence than our favourite Kobloid-Murdering Halfling. Belkar's probably coming home with a brand new fashion accessary.

Pory
2012-02-14, 07:18 AM
Oh boy! Oh boy! And with the promised 8 strips-per-day we are going to see it pretty soon :smallbiggrin:. I hope Rich doesn't try something different this time :smalleek:

PD: Does the first bidder win extra points or something? :smalltongue:

androkguz
2012-02-14, 08:24 AM
Well, I certaintly lost my bet to Jirix.
Right now, Yukyuk seems to be the most likely character to die, but there's a good chance that would happen off camera (like Belkar showing up with a Kobold head shoulder piece)

Dr. Gamera
2012-02-14, 10:38 AM
I wager on Yukyuk.

Ravian
2012-02-14, 12:23 PM
He's not quite dead yet! But that was most likely just a bit of creulty Belkar will be doing before he is ultimately killed off.

Though I wonder how many saving throws YukYuk must be getting for being forced to do this?

ella ventic
2012-02-14, 03:12 PM
The latest strip does make me wonder if we mightn't be running into a little Heisenberg-like problem.

1. Knowing how the Giant likes to confound his readers' expectations, will the mere existence of this thread influence the comic in any way?

2. Assuming for the moment that the answer to Question 1 is "yes," is a character with a lot of votes then more, or less, likely to die if the opportunity for such presents itself in the story?

3. As well as Heisenberg, might we not also bring Schroedinger into the discussion? As an example: Yukyuk is clearly not dead at the end of #835. If #836 begins with Belkar, Varsuuvius and Durkon merely going on their way having abandoned him in the desert, should we assume he is:

a) alive because they left him that way
b) dead because they killed him before they left
c) effectively dead because he is freaking abandoned in the desert, for heaven's sake
d) neither alive nor dead because the waveform has not been collapsed due to observation?

4. If a scenario similar to that in Question 3 does in fact occur at some point in the comic, is that the meanest-while-unquestionably-hilarious thing that the Giant could do to give all of us in this thread a gigantic "take THAT"?

I leave it for the class to discuss. :smallwink:

ORione
2012-02-14, 03:41 PM
The latest strip does make me wonder if we mightn't be running into a little Heisenberg-like problem.

1. Knowing how the Giant likes to confound his readers' expectations, will the mere existence of this thread influence the comic in any way?

2. Assuming for the moment that the answer to Question 1 is "yes," is a character with a lot of votes then more, or less, likely to die if the opportunity for such presents itself in the story?

3. As well as Heisenberg, might we not also bring Schroedinger into the discussion? As an example: Yukyuk is clearly not dead at the end of #835. If #836 begins with Belkar, Varsuuvius and Durkon merely going on their way having abandoned him in the desert, should we assume he is:

c) effectively dead because he is freaking abandoned in the desert, for heaven's sake
d) neither alive nor dead because the waveform has not been collapsed due to observation?

4. If a scenario similar to that in Question 3 does in fact occur at some point in the comic, is that the meanest-while-unquestionably-hilarious thing that the Giant could do to give all of us in this thread a gigantic "take THAT"?

1. Not if the Giant doesn't read it. He doesn't like to read speculationy stuff because when people guess right, it makes him want to change it. Which means...
2. ... that if the Giant does read this, he might try to not kill someone who has a lot of votes.
3. Good question. I say we let RSLee decide.
4. Hm. Maybe.

Pory
2012-02-14, 03:56 PM
Oh, come ON! That's just mean :smallfrown:...

In that case, RSLee will have to add yet another point to the list to clarify this 'schroedingerian case' or this round will last foreeeveer :smalleek:. We can't assume he's dead in that case because he could make another unexpected return, just like Zz'dtri. It happened before! Well...in that case he was just dragged away but still.

AlfredAmeoba
2012-02-14, 04:31 PM
I vote Nale. I doubt Malack will be in the business of healing him promptly in a fight.

RSLee
2012-02-14, 08:11 PM

1. Even if The Giant reads this thread, which I doubt, I don't think that he's petty enough to rewrite his comic just so that he can screw people who've made imaginary bets on who'll live or die in his comic.

2. If The Giant hypothetically changes the fates of a character just to screw with us, then it really doesn't matter does it? We would never know otherwise and we have no reason to suspect that he would do so.

3. I've already specified this in Rule 8. If a character is placed in a dangerous situation, they won't be considered dead until we see definitive proof. Until we have proof that Yukyuk's been killed, then it will not qualify as a death.

4. Yes. It probably would be the evilest thing that Rich could possibly do. But, I see no reason to assume that he would do so just to mess with our imaginary betting pool.

ti'esar
2012-02-14, 08:18 PM
Oh, come ON! That's just mean :smallfrown:...

In that case, RSLee will have to add yet another point to the list to clarify this 'schroedingerian case' or this round will last foreeeveer :smalleek:. We can't assume he's dead in that case because he could make another unexpected return, just like Zz'dtri. It happened before! Well...in that case he was just dragged away but still.

Why would the round drag on forever? Even if Yukyuk meets an ambiguous fate, surely someone will be explicitly killed off eventually.

Edit: Although some clarification as regards rule 7A and "priority" would be helpful. For instance, if Tarquin is killed off and, as he dies, reveals that Thog was killed in the arena collapse, who would get points? People who bet on Tarquin, Thog, or both?

RSLee
2012-02-14, 08:24 PM
9. If two characters are killed in the same strip, then points will be rewarded to anybody who bet on either character. For example, if Blackwing were to be eaten by a dog at the beginning of a strip and then V were to be killed by the same dog during the last panel of the same strip, then anybody who voted for either V or Blackwing would receive a point.

Both sides would get points.

ti'esar
2012-02-14, 08:40 PM
So, just to be clear, the strip where a character is revealed to have died is when s/he counts as having died for our purposes?

Ravian
2012-02-14, 08:48 PM
Why would the round drag on forever? Even if Yukyuk meets an ambiguous fate, surely someone will be explicitly killed off eventually.

And thus the rest of the arc will have the eintire Linear Guild escape, be captured, or suffer an unknown fate off panel. This will also apply to all of Girard's forces, who will probably be sent to some dangerous (but not instantly fatal) plane of existence.

RSLee
2012-02-14, 09:45 PM
So, just to be clear, the strip where a character is revealed to have died is when s/he counts as having died for our purposes?

Yes. The strip where a character's death is revealed will be the one that counts for our purposes. If I start giving retroactive points, then it'll just create a mess.

Endon the White
2012-02-14, 10:51 PM
This looks fun.

I bet Yuk yuk will bite it next.

Pory
2012-02-15, 05:32 AM

Hehe I think I just overdramatize there :smalltongue: What I wanted to say was that the uncertainty about Yukyuk's fate could last forever....or until later today.

And thus the rest of the arc will have the eintire Linear Guild escape, be captured, or suffer an unknown fate off panel. This will also apply to all of Girard's forces, who will probably be sent to some dangerous (but not instantly fatal) plane of existence.

Lol :smallbiggrin:

Cazaril
2012-02-15, 10:46 AM
Are we allowed to vote for the white dragon from the Kickstarter charts? :smallbiggrin:

RSLee
2012-02-15, 08:31 PM
No. The white dragon has no name and no actual appearances in the comic. He is not eligable.

And, goddamn, it seems that Yukyuk continues to live on. I'm guessing that he still has something left to do in the plot. If Rich wanted him dead, he'd have probably done so back in the Ranch Dressing Realm.

CharityB
2012-02-15, 09:02 PM
Honestly, I'm surprised he's still in the strip. Vaarsuvius could have abandoned him (off-screen) at any time, and they probably could have left him behind during the scene transition. I definitely think there's more to come or else he wouldn't still be present.

ti'esar
2012-02-15, 11:27 PM
Yukyuk lives! I guess that problem's taken care of.

On the subject of the Kickstarter dragon, are the various PDFs coming out going to affect this at all? I doubt very strongly that the "canon" stories will kill off anyone alive in the current comic, but what about the others? If Belkar dies in Haleo and Julelan before any character dies in the actual comics, would it count?

I doubt this very much, but it's something that needs clarification.

RSLee
2012-02-15, 11:56 PM
I'm not counting supplementary materials, whether they are canon stories or not. The deaths have to happen within the actual comic.

Pory
2012-02-16, 06:02 AM
Wow, it seems that Yukyuk really joined the party (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0800.html) :smallbiggrin:
I suppose this is better than the other scenario where he was left behind off-screen without knowing for sure if he's dead. It's always useful to bring someone to test any kind of traps that protects the Gate :smallamused:.

ti'esar
2012-02-17, 03:50 PM
Looks like the dragon's not dead, anyway.

OblivionBlade
2012-02-17, 05:24 PM
I'm going with a flumph.

Cazaril
2012-02-17, 07:06 PM
I'm going with a flumph.

But the flumphs never die, they just get smushed a lot! :smallconfused:

denthor
2012-02-17, 07:08 PM
I could not help myself I failed a will save. I have now joined your ghoul pool.

ti'esar
2012-02-17, 07:12 PM
But the flumphs never die, they just get smushed a lot! :smallconfused:

I also think they would be disqualified under the same rule as the demon roaches.

(Then again, there's two identifiable flumphs, while the roaches are all interchangeable).

Petey7
2012-02-17, 08:15 PM
I would like to add a vote for Yukyuk. i belive his death will serve as a convenient way to piss-off Belkar and V.

RSLee
2012-02-20, 07:04 PM
I'm going with a flumph.

Honestly, I'm much more tempted to qualify the flumphs then I am the Demon Roaches, since there only seems to be two of them. But, since they are still interchangeable members of a species, I'll have to say that they don't qualify either.

olthar
2012-02-20, 07:18 PM
I've gotta go Yukyuk. His continued existence with the party only serves the purpose of having someone to die and show that stuff is dangerous.

Plus, they should use him like people use cows and sheep in the tomb of horrors.

ThePhantasm
2012-02-20, 07:24 PM
I would like to add a vote for Yukyuk. i belive his death will serve as a convenient way to piss-off Belkar and V.

Why? They seem like they don't care if he lives or dies. They'd probably be pleased. In fact, they'll probably be the ones to kill him.

Squark
2012-02-20, 07:54 PM
Hmm... Yukyuk seems like a safe bet, but if he makes it out alive, I doubt we're going to see him again.

Still, put me down for Yukyuk

Petey7
2012-02-20, 08:01 PM
Why? They seem like they don't care if he lives or dies. They'd probably be pleased. In fact, they'll probably be the ones to kill him.

Maybe "piss off" is too strong of a phrase. I think that Belkar will be annoyed by the loss of Mr. Scruffy's new litter box. If nothing else he will use it as an excuse to act pissed off and kill someone, not that he necessarily needs an excuse, but having one fits his new "pretending to follow societies rules" thing he has going on. V would equally be annoyed by the loss of V's "slave."After all, the linear guild are supposed to be on the way and Yukyuk was V's way of beating Zz'dtri. Will they care about the lose of Yukyuk the person? Hell no. As you rightly stated, why would they. Will they care about the lose of the kobold slave they get to torture? Sure. Especially Belkar, since he hates kobolds and is evil. But only for a few panels. Maybe a whole strip at best. After that they'll probably forget he even existed.

Pory
2012-02-21, 05:37 AM
Wow, it seems that Yukyuk really joined the party (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0800.html) :smallbiggrin:
I suppose this is better than the other scenario where he was left behind off-screen without knowing for sure if he's dead. It's always useful to bring someone to test any kind of traps that protects the Gate :smallamused:.

Yay! I was right :smallbiggrin: But the guy's still alive :smallannoyed:

ti'esar
2012-02-24, 02:24 AM
Well, it's looking like a good thing that Girard wasn't an option... :smalleek:

Ravian
2012-02-25, 12:16 AM
Well we haven't seen him yet, and it may still be an illusion, so the current bets still stand. All these guys don't qualify as characters.

Pory
2012-02-29, 06:41 AM
Heh...we have an interesting situation here :smallamused:

The Squirrel
2012-02-29, 12:42 PM
After the last two comics, my guess is that things are going to accelerate quickly into a 3 (or 4 if Girard comes into it) sided battle at the gate; more than one person will die, but I'm placing my bet on Durkon, not because he'll be the first, but the only one who's going down for sure.

Sniffnoy
2012-02-29, 01:22 PM
Heh...we have an interesting situation here :smallamused:

Right now it seems that Girard himself has been long dead, so unless Orrin counts, we don't have a death that meets the rules.

Pory
2012-02-29, 03:28 PM
Oops, I thought someone voted for Girard or Orrin but that's not the case, strange :smallconfused:... I suppose that's it because rule 1-B is pretty recent.

Anne Calie
2012-02-29, 05:36 PM
I would like to bet on KilKil.

RSLee
2012-02-29, 05:48 PM
However, if this death conflicts with rule 5 and a character from flashbacks is discovered to have retroactively died, then no points will be awarded. For example, if somebody were to bet on Girard Drakestone, and the Order of the Stick stumbled upon his skeleton, then nobody would get a point..

Girard and Orrin would not have qualified for the Death Pool unless they'd have made appearances outside of flashbacks and backstory. The round will continue.

toughluck
2012-02-29, 05:59 PM
Belkar.

By the way, what happens if the story arc is changed? Can we change the bet then if it's obvious that an OotS member won't be killed in a Xykon story arc, for instance?

RSLee
2012-02-29, 06:00 PM
You can't change your vote until a character has been killed. If a story arc ends, then you just have to endure the next one and wait for somebody to be killed off.

Orsen
2012-02-29, 06:04 PM
Yuk Yuk. Definitely Yuk Yuk.

Sonata Arctica
2012-02-29, 07:17 PM
Vaarsuvius. At most 10 strips left.

Sniffnoy
2012-03-01, 02:48 PM
Formatting nitpick: Could you possibly remove the blank line from Sabine's box? It makes it look like two people have bet on her when only one has. Thank you!

Emperor Flumph
2012-03-22, 08:56 PM
Congratulations, everyone who bet on Girard.

EDIT: Oh, wait. No one did. Oops.

BillyBobJoe
2012-03-22, 09:00 PM
(b) However, if this death conflicts with rule 5 and a character from flashbacks is discovered to have retroactively died, then no points will be awarded. For example, if somebody were to bet on Girard Drakestone, and the Order of the Stick stumbled upon his skeleton, then nobody would get a point.

... A-Are you a future psychic? :smalltongue:

RSLee
2012-03-22, 09:01 PM
8. (a) If a character is put in a dangerous situation and then later discovered to have died off-panel, anybody who bet on that character will be awarded a point upon discovery of the corpse. For example, imagine if Belkar were to get lost in the forest. If the Order of the Stick were to stumble upon his corpse several strips later and learned that he had starved to death, then anybody who bet on Belkar would receive a point as soon as his death is confirmed.

(b) However, if this death conflicts with rule 5 and a character from flashbacks is discovered to have retroactively died, then no points will be awarded. For example, if somebody were to bet on Girard Drakestone, and the Order of the Stick stumbled upon his skeleton, then nobody would get a point.

Even if people had bet on Girard, this does not qualify for the pool. The pool is for characters who die within the actual present day of the comic. I am not awarding points for a guy who's been dead for twenty years!!!

EDIT:

... A-Are you a future psychic? :smalltongue:

Apparently not. Otherwise I would've been able to get my post written before you did.

ti'esar
2012-03-22, 09:32 PM
Strange... such uncanny precision about the circumstances, and yet you called the guy Girard Drakestone.

Gurgeh
2012-03-22, 09:35 PM
Welp, I'ma throw a bet in for Zz'dtri.

Emperor Flumph
2012-03-22, 09:44 PM
Even if people had bet on Girard, this does not qualify for the pool. The pool is for characters who die within the actual present day of the comic. I am not awarding points for a guy who's been dead for twenty years!!!
Well, that's doubly embarrassing for me then. Two dumb mistakes in a one-line post. Oh yeah. I'm the champion of stupid.:smallcool:

RSLee
2012-03-22, 09:45 PM
Strange... such uncanny precision about the circumstances, and yet you called the guy Girard Drakestone.

:facepalm:

Ugh. Sorry. Can't believe that I did that.

Vulkos
2012-03-23, 06:11 PM
Zz'dtri for me, please.
Shaken, not stirred.

Mr. Pants
2012-03-24, 10:27 PM
I vote for Kilkil :xykon:

martianmister
2012-03-25, 08:40 AM
I vote for Kilkil :xykon:

That's not Kilkil. :redcloak:

Gift Jeraff
2012-04-06, 04:06 PM
Good call, people. :smalltongue:

Sniffnoy
2012-04-06, 04:09 PM
So do I have to explicitly re-bet on Kilkil, or is that automatically assumed? (Well, I've now made my bet clear either way. :) )

Dr. Gamera
2012-04-06, 04:12 PM
Will try to get a point-scoring streak going by picking Belkar.

Pory
2012-04-06, 04:17 PM
Poor guy, he was the best of us :smallfrown: ... Oh well, where are my points? :smalltongue:

Finally, the first round is over. Btw, I have the feeling that second round is not going to last long :smalleek:

Gift Jeraff
2012-04-06, 04:19 PM
I don't see 2 Linear kobolds dying in a row, so I'll switch to Belkar. I think he's tempting fate with all this talk of karma.

RSLee
2012-04-06, 04:36 PM
Well, looks like we've finally got our first kill. I've handed out point totals accordingly. For the next round, unless you explicitly change your vote, I'm going to assume that you're voting for the same character. Because, if I made everybody re-vote, it would just make this thread a mess.

Speaking of which, I'm also going to place my vote on Kilkil again. I'm a bit iffy on the chances of losing a second Kobloid, but he's just the most expendable character there. And, honestly, I think that if Belkar does die, it's going to be a much grander death than "random-casualty-of-a-Linear-Guild-fight".

ThePhantasm
2012-04-06, 05:02 PM
Gotta go with KilKil as well.

Obnoxious Hydra
2012-04-06, 05:07 PM
I'm gonna go and say Zz'ditri.

He's the main threat at the moment with spells like acid ball, so I imagine the Order are goign to try and take him out.

ti'esar
2012-04-06, 06:05 PM
I'm sticking with Zz'dtri as well. He's the primary target for the Order right now, and in my opinion more "expendable" then Kilkil in terms of plot purposes. Plus, I agree with Gift Jeraff that two kobolds dying in a row would be a bit much.

Finally, the first round is over. Btw, I have the feeling that second round is not going to last long :smalleek:

I get this feeling as well.

Seharvepernfan
2012-04-06, 06:40 PM
Well, I think it's too soon to say right now, the comic could switch back to Ian and Geoff tommorrow for all I know, but I do think someone is about to die real soon, so I have to guess now.

My vote is Malack.

sr123
2012-04-06, 06:52 PM
And after all this wait, the answer becometh the obviouseth.

I'm hanging on to my prediction of Blackwing, partially (or mostly) because I'll be damned if I share points with anyone else, and partially because, as Roy pointed out, the Order is nearly helpless without wizard V and one of the two has to live to tell them about the planetplanet, etc.

Ravian
2012-04-06, 06:59 PM
I wins yay! :smallbiggrin:

I'm going to go for Quarr, simply because we haven't seen him with the rest of the Linear guild, I predict that he may show up to try and push Vaarsuvius to the dark side only for Blackwing to convince V that he is still capable of redemption. Then V zaps the annoying imp into oblivion.

Petey7
2012-04-06, 07:22 PM
Now that I gots a point I will say Belkar.

Silver2195
2012-04-06, 07:24 PM
I bet on Belkar.

Syklone
2012-04-06, 07:28 PM
I bet on KILKIL.

martianmister
2012-04-06, 08:00 PM
I'm still for Belkar.

oppyu
2012-04-06, 08:47 PM
Switch my vote from Redcloak to Belkar.

Cazaril
2012-04-06, 09:10 PM
A vote for Kilkil, my good sir.

Dracarot
2012-04-06, 10:21 PM
My original guess having been Thog, and now wagering I won't learn his fate, I place my bet on Belkar Bitterleaf dying next.

Emperor Flumph
2012-04-06, 10:33 PM
I vote Zz'dtri.

(btw, is it weird that we use the term 'vote'? Makes it seem like we're deciding who dies next rather than trying to predict it)

ti'esar
2012-04-06, 11:26 PM
If that was the case, I'd wager we'd see a whole lot more votes for Nale.

Johanz
2012-04-07, 01:16 AM
I'm feelin kobocidal today.

Sign me up for Kilkil :D

Pory
2012-04-07, 04:58 AM
The LG is so unstable now and I think they are going to start betraying them sooner or later so my bet is on Malack this time.

androkguz
2012-04-07, 09:04 AM
Damn, I lost the first one. Oh well...

Change my bet from Jirix to Mr. Scruffy please. I think Kilkil is gonna be a very cool character ("only 8%..." *snikers*) that would survive this assault more than Belkar, who in turn will survive longer than his cat.

dps
2012-04-07, 08:52 PM
I'll hold, even in he isn't in this arc.

Dark Elf Bard
2012-04-07, 09:06 PM
Belkar Bitterleaf

Zjoot
2012-04-07, 11:57 PM
The Pteradactyl is probably off limits, so gonna go with Mr. Scruffy :smalltongue:

Avangor
2012-04-08, 02:02 AM
I'm going to go with KilKil. Don't think he's going to be up to the upcoming fight.

Toy Killer
2012-04-08, 03:40 PM
Kilkil, majority rules, law of large numbers, Mob mentality, whatever you wanna say, I think the people have it...

Sajach
2012-04-08, 04:24 PM
I bet the chancellor.
Wonder what belkar is going to use his head for.

zimmerwald1915
2012-04-09, 02:30 AM
You know what? I'm going to play the longshot and stick with Uncle Geoff.

squidbreath
2012-04-09, 05:36 AM
Would it be possible to bet on the death of an animal from the bag of tricks?

If not, Gimme one on Nale please. ;P [Just for the sake of being slightly different]

RSLee
2012-04-09, 08:26 AM
Would it be possible to bet on the death of an animal from the bag of tricks?

Well, no. They are items, not actual characters. None of them had names or personalities, or multiple appearances. Besides, I'm pretty sure that Roy doesn't even have that anymore. He lost it when he plummetted to his temporary death, didn't he?

Keeper of Starlight
2012-04-09, 09:12 AM
I'd like to switch my vote to Malack.
I feel he's going to be forced to duke it out with Durkon, and only one of them will make it through.

IrnBruAddict
2012-04-09, 10:15 AM
I was almost right. If only that stupid kobold hadn't blocked Mr Scruffy.

I'll stick to the cat.

The Squirrel
2012-04-10, 09:09 AM
Sticking with Durkon; V is already neutralized and if Durkon is taken out the party will have no access to True Seeing making any lower level gate guarding illusions non-trivial.

Ninja Dragon
2012-04-10, 05:09 PM
Chancellor Kilkil. This isn't very creative, but I won't bet on a Kobold who is about to fight Belkster to survive more than 10 strips.

DrBurr
2012-04-11, 07:38 PM
I'm teetering between sticking with Mr.Scruffy or Jumping to Belkar, so I'll stay where I am

onionbreath
2012-04-11, 11:28 PM
My prediction is Durkon. The Linear Guild will take advantage of V's absence and focus on the OOTS's healer (and currently, only full caster)
Since the Linear Guild currently has a large advantage in range attacks and flying ability, they don't have to worry as much about the melee fighters yet.

curtis
2012-04-13, 04:14 PM
Give me Zz'dtri, folks. I'm feelin' lucky.

Squark
2012-04-13, 04:22 PM
Zz'dritti, I think. Well, I'm currently one of the front runners, and this seems like another safe bet.

ella ventic
2012-04-14, 12:58 AM
Hm. *thinks* Okay, I've gotta go with Belkar for now. But I'll still be sad when it happens. :smallfrown:

Edit: Darn it! Just read the new comic; should've gone with Nale instead. Ah well.

PhantomDennis
2012-04-14, 12:04 PM
Wow! No one bet on any Draketooth clan members. I'm going to go with a major character next. I've always thought that Durkon would predecease Belkar. My guess is Malack will wind up killing Durkon. Malack will be preemptively double-crossed by Nale and Sabine before he can raise him. Thog will turn up to be alive in time to inadvertedly destroy the Gate taking ZZ'dtri with him. The gang will discover the best path to Sirini's gate lies through Dwarf country, thus returning Durkon home posthumously. While there they will try to find a cleric of Thor and be reunited with Hilgya.

CGforever!
2012-04-14, 06:56 PM
Wow! No one bet on any Draketooth clan members. I'm going to go with a major character next. I've always thought that Durkon would predecease Belkar. My guess is Malack will wind up killing Durkon. Malack will be preemptively double-crossed by Nale and Sabine before he can raise him. Thog will turn up to be alive in time to inadvertedly destroy the Gate taking ZZ'dtri with him. The gang will discover the best path to Sirini's gate lies through Dwarf country, thus returning Durkon home posthumously. While there they will try to find a cleric of Thor and be reunited with Hilgya.

I could see this happening...

RSLee
2012-04-14, 10:51 PM
Wow! No one bet on any Draketooth clan members.

Well, I would hope not, since absolutely none of them would've had enough appearances to qualify. Orin was the only one with a name and he had only shown up in a couple panels during a flashback. Girard would've counted if he would have shown up in the present time, but since he died in the backstory of the comic, then he wouldn't have be eligable either.

Vovix
2012-04-15, 08:44 PM
Kilkil Next kobold to die.

MarchiMcFly
2012-04-17, 05:57 AM
I'd like to bet on Durkon.

Mr. Pants
2012-04-19, 07:36 PM
Seems that Kilkil is going to be Kilkilled...:smallfrown:

Loreni333
2012-04-19, 08:12 PM
I don't trust Malack to live. He's a bit of a weird and boring character to me, though, so I suppose I almost wish we had Thog back. Or really any of the old dead members. :smallfrown:

CountD
2012-04-19, 08:31 PM
Sign me up for Zz'dtri.

I think we're going to see a few of the bad guys kick the bucket in this round. I'm going to say Malak, Kilkil, maybe Sabine, and possibly some of the good guys too, namely Durkon and Mr. Scruffy. Possibly Belkar, but I think the Giant has a different end planned for him. But I'll go with Zz'dtri as the first casualty.

Sniffnoy
2012-04-27, 12:28 AM
Is the first post going to be updated anytime soon...?

Emperordaniel
2012-04-27, 02:28 PM
Right now I feel like taking out a bet on the life of :belkar:'s little killing machine, Mr. Scruffy.

Silver Swift
2012-04-27, 04:21 PM
I would also like to bet on Mr Scruffy

Bulldog Psion
2012-04-27, 05:27 PM
I'll see your Kilkil and raise you one Belkar, if I may.

Hydra Druid
2012-05-02, 11:00 PM
It seems like a really safe bet to say whoever Belkar looked at last who isn't in The Order of the Stick, however having just read #851 here is what I've seen:
In comic #329 the Oracle says that "the halfling shouldn't bother funding his TRA." and "I'm just thinking he should savor his next birthday cake."
Then in #443 Roy Greenhilt dies.
In 498 Roy is told that he has been dead for 3 and a half months, or 103 days, 8 hours, 17 minutes, and 9 seconds.
Then in #572 the Oracle said "Belkar will draw his last breath-ever-before the end of the year." and "That's an "in-comic" year, not a real-time year, Oracle fans!"
Comic #702 says "In just six weeks, we will mark the one-year anniversary of our conquest of Azure City." Comic #702 also says that this is late in the year 1184. (Read the text in the books that are handed out.)

This means that it as of comic #329 Belkar is only going to eat one more birthday cake in his honor, and that it has been 6 weeks short of a year between comic #443 and #702. So Belkar SHOULD have eaten that birthday cake by now. Belkar has from "Late 1184" until Dec 31st 1184 or the day before his next birthday, whichever comes first, until he dies.

After all of this they go and meet Elan and Nale's father, General Tarquin.

I'll put all my money on Belkar, however if I COULD make a second bet, it would be on the short yellow guy that Belkar's about to fight.
(Right now that means Kilkil, but next week, if Belkar lives that long, it could be some other short yellow guy with a name beginning with the letter 'K'.)

Hydra Druid
2012-05-10, 12:17 PM
Hm. *thinks* Okay, I've gotta go with Belkar for now. But I'll still be sad when it happens. :smallfrown:

Edit: Darn it! Just read the new comic; should've gone with Nale instead. Ah well.

Sorry, but Nale is going to be here for a while. I predict that Nale and his father will still be around for comic #1700, if we make it that far. The same goes for the creature in the dark.
Xykon and Wrong-eye will live to see comic #1000 at least, MAYBE even #1300.

ella ventic
2012-05-11, 10:15 PM
Sorry, but Nale is going to be here for a while. I predict that Nale and his father will still be around for comic #1700, if we make it that far. The same goes for the creature in the dark.
Xykon and Wrong-eye will live to see comic #1000 at least, MAYBE even #1300.

Oooh, I will TAKE THAT BET. The way I see it, Xykon and Redcloak are two sides of the Big Bad; they're not gonna go down until the end. And while it's not unheard of to have the smaller-but-more-personal victory happen after the big climax (e.g. the Scouring of the Shire), I don't think that's how this story is going to happen. Tarquin's screen time might even be limited to this book, which is in its final story arc, and Nale has almost outlived his dramatic usefulness unless he undergoes some major character growth (not out of the question but I still doubt he'll outlast Xykon as an antagonist). Now, if we're going strictly by *death* I don't know, but I will bet you a quintillion spacebucks that both Tarquin and Nale are at least *defeated* before either Redcloak or Xykon.

And the MitD will be in the final battle where he will change sides and help the good guys. :smallsmile:
^--not groundbreaking speculation there, I realize, but probably best spoiler-tagged anyway.

Trufflehound
2012-05-11, 10:32 PM
I think I'm betting on Durkon. Could open up a lot of plot options at this point. And he shall die sooner or later.

Lycunadari
2012-05-13, 04:22 AM
I vote for Mr. Scruffy, too.

Zmeoaice
2012-05-14, 01:45 PM
First Post.

I vote for Celia.

Also I think the rules should change so it only counts when Xykon's phylactery is destroyed, since that's where is soul is located.

Sniffnoy
2012-05-28, 03:49 PM
Since RSLee seems to have vanished, I've taken the liberty of starting a new death pool thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=244663).

I messaged him about it a week ago, and he hasn't replied, so I'm taking him as vanished.

Nyes the Dark
2012-05-28, 07:46 PM
Zz'dtri. S/he is in active danger, and is expendable enough to risk death shortly, especially if s/he is forced into engaging Haley, who is probably capable of killing hir easily, what with that whole vulnerability to archers.

Sniffnoy
2012-05-28, 08:45 PM
I should note -- While I will certainly bets placed here, posting on the new thread would be preferred. In particular it keeps the timeline neater.

Edit: I will no longer accept bets placed on this thread; it would make it too hard to keep track of the timeline. Please take all further bets to the new thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=244663).

I don't suppose we could get a mod to lock this one?

averagejoe
2012-06-04, 03:36 PM
The Mod They Call Me: Thread locked.