PDA

View Full Version : AVB - Hyloe

Jeriah
2012-01-26, 12:35 AM
Private thread for tonberryking and DM only.

Hyloe can't think of any reasons that the cryptozoology class would be any more useful than the history class. Indeed, learning the history of Aldhaven might actually prove to be very useful.

tonberryking
2012-01-26, 08:20 AM
With that in mind, Hyloe tries to find any scholarship offers with ties to historians or the history department.

Jeriah
2012-01-27, 10:25 PM
Huh, the thread didn't auto-subscribe like they usually do for me. Sorry about that. :smallredface:Scanning the list, it appears that there are four scholarships available for the one class you are taking, three of which require part time jobs with the offering agent.

The Temple of Boccob offers scholarship for classes, room and board at the temple, and requires clerical work in their own library.

The noble family House Licorta offers general scholarships to anyone who meets their criteria, the specifics of which are withheld unless an interview is scheduled. No additional work required.

Dean Jarmaine is looking for a part time secretary in the school offices and offers a partial scholarship in addition to regular pay, exact amounts to be determined.

A Mr. Hagan Erbauer offers full scholarships to anyone who is capable of crafting magical items and can devote at least four hours a day (weekends excluded) towards research and crafting in his business' workshop. Extra benefits included.

tonberryking
2012-01-28, 09:52 AM
Though Souzouchi is not...terribly jealous, Hyloe scrubs the thought of the Boccobs' offer from her thoughts. Sadly, she also crosses the Mr. Erbauer off as well.

That leaves two promising options...

"Pray tell, how may I set up an appointment with the Dean, and this Licorta house?" She may not know what the interview entails, but delving into the unknown is the wendell's specialty and she seems obviously gung ho on either prospect. Maybe both!

Jeriah
2012-01-28, 09:14 PM
"You'll have to meet with the dean at his office and arrange a time for an appointment.

For House Licorta, you'll need to send word to their estate requesting an audience pertaining to the scholarship."

tonberryking
2012-01-28, 11:34 PM
"Well, yes. Where's the dean's office and where shall I find a messenger for the nobles?"

Jeriah
2012-01-30, 11:50 PM
"The dean of a department will have his office in one of the upstairs offices of that department's building.

As for a messenger to the Nobles' Quarter, you'll need to inquire probably with the Scriveners' Guild or a courier service, or perhaps at the gate, which is immediately across from the front gate of the school."

tonberryking
2012-02-01, 07:08 PM
Getting the proper department and deciding to visit them first, Hyloe traverses through the campus to speak with Dean Jarmaine. Hopefully the stairs are wide and navigable; those damned things are always close to being her undoing.

Upon arrival, she tries to knock on any door or politely hail the Dean rather than barge in.

Jeriah
2012-02-06, 10:44 AM
Sorry about not posting. I've been working so many back to back doubles and kept falling asleep as soon as I sat down to reply to anything.Through the glass window set in the door, she sees a woman at a desk waving for her to enter.

tonberryking
2012-02-06, 09:54 PM
Centaurs, even Wendels, do not beg. It's a foreign concept not quite as alien as shoes or chairs, but philosophically, it's rather unknown.

Hyloe's about to learn how. First, she awkwardly opens the door after backing up and then enters slowly. No tail flicks, no perked ears; she goes all solemn, and politely refrains from speaking for a moment in case the Dean wasn't expected a quadruped.

"Ah.. you see, I was looking for the Dean, to, ah, inquire about a scholarship for History?"

Jeriah
2012-02-22, 10:52 PM
"Ah, yes! Good, good. He's been desperate to find an aide ever since the last one died when the book shelf he was attempting to climb collapsed and smothered him beneath the tomes. I'm sure he'll be glad to see you!"

tonberryking
2012-02-27, 07:53 PM
Hyloe tries to suppress a shudder that goes down all four of her legs. "Ahh... you don't say..." she frets in place. "Well, that aside, may I speak with him then? I have to make contact with one of the families in Aldhaven post haste as well as the dear Dean himself... Though for a moment I thought you were the dean...

Jeriah
2012-02-29, 11:25 PM
"No, I'm the department scribe. I just keep track of all the paperwork.

You may proceed into his office there." She points to an open door just down the hall.

tonberryking
2012-03-01, 10:53 PM
Silently cursing bipedal-inclined architecture, Hyloe thanks the scribe and heads to the Dean, knocking before entering.

Jeriah
2012-03-02, 12:23 AM
He is already watching the door by the time you knock.

"I overheard you talking to our scribe. If you're interested and capable, then you have the position and associated scholarship."

tonberryking
2012-03-02, 12:37 AM
Hyloe's jaw pops, her doe eyes widening even more than usual.

...However...

"Ah... is there a catch?" her tail flits about, curiosity seeping into her mind once more, and giddiness. But she's not about to start prancing about just because things seem to be getting better...

Jeriah
2012-03-02, 01:18 AM
"Well, yes. You have to be able to read, write, take diction, and fetch books for me in a timely manner. Also, I'll need you to work about four hours a day, between and after classes."

tonberryking
2012-03-05, 10:42 PM
All of this breezes by Hyloe with no effect.

...Except for one detail: the imagery of herself falling from pillar like shelves after some very, very awkward climbing attempts.

"Ah, well, I do hope the book shelves are not too high...I'm not built for climbing very far..."

Jeriah
2012-03-08, 02:14 AM
"Why would you be climbing bookshelves? They have those movable stair things for the tall shelves... Oh. You're referring to my previous assistant. That was due to recklessness and haste, one of which has no place here."

tonberryking
2012-03-19, 12:58 PM
Sorry about the delays, guess it was my turn in the barrel cause real life threw me a screwball

"Yes, well, that alliviates my most primary fear."

However there's her secondary one:

"Now, is room and board supplied, or will I need to get lodgings outside the university?" She may need to anyway since presumably she's a centaur minority in these parts. Stupid bipedallly inclined urban areas...

Jeriah
2012-03-19, 04:07 PM
"If you don't have a room in the dorms, I'm sure we can acquire one for you. You'll likely have a roommate."

tonberryking
2012-03-28, 10:38 PM
((Sorry, stuff happened))

Hyloe blinks; never having considered the possibility. "I must say, this seems like a godsend; it's only been a scant few hours since I entered the city and I may already have a job."

Jeriah
2012-03-29, 11:45 AM
Don't worry about it. I haven't replied to the other people in almost as long as you haven't replied..."Oh, are you new to the city? I hadn't realized you weren't a citizen, though now I clearly see you seem to be some sort of miniature centaur. In truth, I hadn't really paid that much attention before..."

He readjusts his glasses and gives Hyloe a more careful appraisal.

tonberryking
2012-03-30, 02:26 PM
Hyloe flicks her dark tail, "A Wendell Centaur," she says without showing her very mild annoyance. Sometimes it's hard for her to have patience with people who get hung up on that little aspect of hers.

"That won't be a problem, will it? Apart from finding a seat, I imagine..."

Jeriah
2012-03-30, 06:04 PM
"Hmm? Oh, no, not a problem at all..."

He seems to be imagining something with you that might not be entirely appropriate...

tonberryking
2012-03-31, 03:55 PM
Hyloe blinks, her forehead ridges furrow under her headband.

...He isn't doing that is he?

Sense motive on the guy on account of suspected lechery: [roll0]

Jeriah
2012-04-02, 05:28 PM
She detects no lecherous intentions from him.

tonberryking
2012-04-13, 02:15 PM
Again, I'm sorry for the delay; I got sick as a dog over Easter weekend and I've been pretty negligent as a result, as you can imagine.

Hyloe nods, looking a bit sheepish and a bit grateful at once. "Yes, well, thank you for your time, but ah, what else do I need to do in preparation? And, ah, I can divert some of my pay directly into paying for school funding, can't I?

Jeriah
2012-04-13, 07:44 PM
No worries.

"Just be here on time tomorrow morning, as soon as your classes are over.

I... er... I thought you understood that this was a scholarship position, not a paid position. This job will cover your tuition, room, and meals in the campus dining facility, but it does not provide any kind of spending money."

tonberryking
2012-04-16, 06:26 PM
Hyloe frowns slightly. Something is amiss, and the wendell centaur finally remembers it as the sign she read flashes through her memories.

"I, ah, don't wish to be contrary, sir, but the sign that I read said there would be a wage as well as partial tuition. Did someone make a mistake?"

Jeriah
2012-04-16, 11:29 PM
"Sign? There's a sign? That's news to me."

tonberryking
2012-04-17, 11:15 AM
"Well, there was a list of scholarships and conditionals that I read from; it mentioned scholarship aide in addition to wages..."

Oh dear. Hyloe assumes that this was from some sort of dumb miscommunication (the man needs a secretary after all) that could cost her. Sure, selling her potion decanter may help for awhile but...

She realizes she's going to need to seek aide from other sources as well.

tonberryking
2012-04-26, 03:46 PM
(Just checking in; it's been a week plus since the last post between us.)
EMERGENCY EDIT:

I am so sorry. GitP has been screwing up a ton of my posts and after the 503s i found this message repeated like half a dozen times.

Jeriah
2012-04-26, 04:13 PM
Sorry, it wasn't showing your latest post to me. I didn't know you had replied..."Oh, huh. Well, we'll figure out the details of that later. In fact, my secretary is the one in charge of that, so you'll have to talk to her. She'll set everything straight."

tonberryking
2012-04-26, 04:18 PM
Oh jeez, now I feel worse about the sextuplet of re-posts. Again sorry about that...

The centaur bobs her head politely and makes to turn, however, she's not done just yet, if only to imprint upon this guy a great first impression,Splendid; will there be anything else to cover today, sir?

Jeriah
2012-04-26, 04:30 PM
He shakes his head.

"Just be here after your first class gets out."

tonberryking
2012-04-26, 04:48 PM
With a polite smile and a nod, Hyloe thanks him for his time before quietly returning to the secretary. With the door to the dean's office closed, she eyes the woman curiously.

"Ah, there was some confusion that he said you could help clarify. Is the pay a scholarship to take care of the classes I register for or is it partial scholarship with a wage? The sign downstairs said one thing, he said another..."

Jeriah
2012-04-26, 05:35 PM
"Neither. It's a full scholarship plus wages."

tonberryking
2012-04-26, 05:46 PM
"Oh. Erm, how much will that come to? I need to discern what sort of budget I can manage for living quarters..."

Jeriah
2012-04-26, 11:23 PM
"Well, provided that you do good work, your tuition will be covered. Anything extra that you make, your wages, is based entirely on how much you work and the quality of your work. The last intern who had this job made 3 to 5 gold per week extra, but the one before that made about 10 each week."

tonberryking
2012-05-16, 04:14 PM
(Bleah. I had some major upheavals again, but am I still in the game or would this kind of absence black ball me?)