PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Trying To Make a Jedi Knight (Sorta)

AvianMalkavian
2012-01-26, 03:53 AM
In my current Pathfinder game, its looking like my current character won't be around much longer. As a result, I've been looking into alternate characters should he perish. After hearing that there's a Pathfinder compatible book for Psionic characters, Psionics Unleashed, I asked the DM if he would allow it and he said yes. So, with that in mind, I'm trying to see if I can't make a Jedi Knight.

Not a literal translation, obviously. But definitely a similar design: a warrior philosopher, capable of manipulating mystical forces in defense of the weak and the innocent. Now, I know that's a fairly accurate description of a Paladin, as well, but I was hoping for matching the Jedi-spirit at least partially to the Jedi aesthetic, meaning wearing simple robes (no armor) and using a 'laser sword' (though with a psionic character I imagine it would be a soulknife).

I'm terrible at builds, though, so my general idea was some kind of multiclassed psion/soulknife/monk? Any help here would be appreciated! :smallsmile:

Keneth
2012-01-26, 04:55 AM
Why monk? Fluff-wise a psion with a few levels in soulknife (or the other way around if you want more lightsabre skills instead) fits the bill just fine, unless you really want hand-to-hand skills.

AvianMalkavian
2012-01-26, 05:18 AM
Well, the dip into Monk makes sense from a thematic standpoint, given that Jedi are pretty much monks with laser swords. Also, the adding Wisdom modifier to AC isn't half bad either.

Jack Zander
2012-01-26, 12:00 PM
Sohei (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/monk/archetypes/paizo---monk-archetypes/sohei) would work so well for this if you could just take swords as a weapon training ability. You should ask your DM if you can have no restrictions on your weapon groups in exchange for giving up the mount related features or something.

Person_Man
2012-01-26, 12:39 PM
What ECL (Effective Class Level - the total of all class levels, PrC levels, and level adjustment from templates and races) will you be starting at and reasonably going to?

In general, multiclassing heavily as you propose is a good idea at low levels or if you intend to go into a PrC, and a bad idea if you go to mid-high levels.

Multi-classing with Psion is generally a waste, as your low level Powers will generally become useless as your ECL progresses. So I would drop that from whatever build you make.

You might also want to look at my Tier 4ish (and simple to use) Force Adept or my Tier 3ish (and more complex to use, because it requires Incarnum) War Soul (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156441) homebrew classes. Several Playgrounders have used them to good effect.

gallagher
2012-01-26, 01:11 PM
if you are going to use monk, you should TASH THAT.

seriously, stacking it with psychic warrior seems like the best go. its not as powerful if you did it with a psion, but thematically it is more appropriate.

take powers that augment your physical abilities like hustle and such, take some defensive powers like inertial armor (stacks with your WIS), and the suchlike. look at what a jedi/sith can do, and pick powers accordingly.

AvianMalkavian
2012-01-26, 01:39 PM
What ECL (Effective Class Level - the total of all class levels, PrC levels, and level adjustment from templates and races) will you be starting at and reasonably going to?

Currently level 7 and nearing level 8. Since we're doing an Adventure Path thing, of sorts, its likely that (assuming there's not a TPK) we'll be playing till we reach level 20.

Person_Man
2012-01-26, 04:33 PM
Currently level 7 and nearing level 8. Since we're doing an Adventure Path thing, of sorts, its likely that (assuming there's not a TPK) we'll be playing till we reach level 20.

Well then, your best bet is probably just Something 20. If you're using pure Pathfinder rules, the most powerful option is probably just Psion 20 or Psychic Warrior 20. Buy a Brilliant Energy weapon for a lightsaber. Use Hustle for extra movement. Telepathy powers for mind tricks. Inertial Armor so that you can wear robes. And so on.