PDA

View Full Version : First Homebrew, Need advice

Egrimble
2012-01-26, 06:58 AM
I'm currently putting together my first Homebrew prestige class for an upcoming campaign, and wouldn't be sweating it so much except that I want the class and corresponding organization to figure prominently in the overall arch. The basic concept of the character is a demon-fighting gunslinger, but the execution has been... Murky.

I'm basing the gunslinger (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=803131&postcount=6) part of this class loosely off of the gunslinger class by geez3r, but I also wanted to add a divine magic component.

The BAB, FRW were going to be midrange (7,3,7,7 at lvl 10), and I was leaning towards 4+Int skill points per level.

My main problem is determining the mechanical criterion for joining this class as far as feats and skills and spell levels are concerned, as well as the special abilities for each level gained. I was thinking being able to multi-class as a lvl 5 ranger, but I'm not sure if that would work, and if I should just gear it as a stronger prestige class available at higher levels.

Kane0
2012-01-26, 11:46 PM
Well, if you're looking into a broad accessibility think of the capabilities of the average level 5 character. Say level 1 or 2 divine spellcasting, a BAB bonus that a 3/4 BAB character can reach and maybe some skill ranks.

If your stuck for abilities, you can always have a look at abilities from the gunslinger and similar classes, and a prestige class that focuses on killing evil or outsiders (Knight of the Chalice springs to mind).

Hope I helped :smallsmile:

Yitzi
2012-01-27, 07:35 AM
Well, if you're looking into a broad accessibility think of the capabilities of the average level 5 character. Say level 1 or 2 divine spellcasting

Better be level 1, as rangers (apparently the intended lead-in) can't get it.

and maybe some skill ranks.

Definitely some skill ranks if you're basing BAB on a medium progression; otherwise it's too easy for full-BAB classes to get in too early. But as a martial class, a full-BAB lead-in is probably ok.

I'd say a good choice is:
-Favored enemy (evil outsiders)
-BAB +5
-Weapon focus (some sort of gun), point-blank shot.

Egrimble
2012-01-27, 09:21 AM
If your stuck for abilities, you can always have a look at abilities from the gunslinger and similar classes, and a prestige class that focuses on killing evil or outsiders (Knight of the Chalice springs to mind).

Thank's for the idea of looking at the Knight of the Chalice, I didn't know that it existed. I will definitely be looking it up.

I'd say a good choice is:
-Favored enemy (evil outsiders)
-BAB +5
-Weapon focus (some sort of gun), point-blank shot.

Thanks for the criterion. I think I may add Knowledge (planar) +4 and the divine spellcasting lvl 1. To keep it more accessible I think I'll probably drop the Favored Enemy requirement.

Will have the rough draft up soonish for critique, thanks for the input!

Egrimble
2012-01-27, 11:23 AM
Okay, tentative look at the class, and I will add here that I am so far unsatisfied with how the special abilities are shaping out, so please critique and make suggestions.

Gun of the Rose (Best I have at the moment)

Requirements
To qualify to become a Gun of the Rose, a character must fulfill all the following criteria.

Alignment: Any Good

Base Attack Bonus: +5

Skills: Sense Motive 4 ranks, Tumble 4 ranks, Knowledge (religion) 2 ranks

Feats:Point Blank Shot, Weapon Focus (Revolver)

Special: Must Walk the Path of Thorns (Info in details of the corresponding organization, not quite finished with it).

Gun of the Rose
{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special

1st|+0|+0|+2|+2|Dual Wield , Fiendslaying +1/+1d6

2nd|+1|+0|+3|+3|Censure Demons, Courage of Heaven (Fear)

3rd|+2|+1|+3|+3|Fiendslaying +2/+2d6, Rapid Reload

4th|+3|+1|+4|+4|

5th|+3|+1|+4|+4|Rapid Reload, Courage of Heaven (Enhancement)

6th|+4|+2|+5|+5|Fiendslaying +3/+3d6

7th|+5|+2|+5|+5|

8th|+6|+2|+6|+6|Courage of Heaven (Radius)

9th|+6|+3|+6|+6|Fiendslaying +4/+4d6

10th|+7|+3|+7|+7|Blinding Draw

[/table]

Class Skills:
The Gun of the Rose's class skills are Balance (Dex), Craft (Firearms) (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Disguise (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Gather Information (Cha), Hide (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (the planes) (Int), Knowledge (religion) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Sense Motive (Wis), Sleight of Hand (Dex), Spot (Wis), Tumble (Dex), and Use Rope (Dex)
Skill Points at Each Level: 6 + Int modifier

Class Features

Dual Wield (Ex): At 6th level, a Gun of the Rose gains the ability to use 2 guns at the same time with little or no penalty, but they must be the same type of gun. When using a full attack action, they may fire the maximum amount of bullets with both guns (determined by reload times, base attack bonus and bullets available), when making a standard attack, they may fire 1 shot from both guns. When wielding revolvers, a Gun of the Rose incurs no penalties on attack rolls, but he must attack foes in the same direction.

Fiendslaying (Ex): Guns of the Rose gain a number of special benefits in combat with evil outsiders. A 1st-level Gun of the Rose gets a +1 competence bonus on attack rolls against evil outsiders. On a successful attack, he deals an extra 1d6 points of damage due to his expertise in combating these creatures. These bonuses increase as the Gun of the Rose advances in level, as shown on Table 2–19.
A 1st-level Gun of the Rose’s +1 competence bonus also applies to Intimidate, Listen, Sense Motive, and Spot checks when he uses these skills against evil outsiders. He gets the same bonus on Will saving throws against attacks from evil outsiders, and on opposed ability checks he makes against evil outsiders.
These bonuses all stack with the Gun of the Rose’s favored enemy
bonus (if any).

Censure Demons (Su): Guns of the Rose can censure demons, much as clerics turn undead. Rather than channeling positive energy, a Gun of the Rose channels energy from the celestial planes of lawful good.
When a Gun of the Rose uses this ability, any demon within 30 feet must succeed on a Will save (DC 10 + the Gun of the Rose’s class level + the Gun of the Rose’s Cha modifier) or be censured.
A censured demon whose Hit Dice are equal to or greater than twice the Gun of the Rose’s class level is stunned by the Gun of the Rose’s holy power for 1 round.
[INDENT]If a censured demon has fewer Hit Dice than twice the Gun of the Rose’s class level, it is stunned and must succeed on a second Will save (same DC) or be sent back to its home plane as if it had been the subject of a dismissal spell. Only one demon may dismissed in this way by any single censure demons attempt; if more than one demon is required to make this second Will save, check for the demon with the lowest HD first.
A Gun of the Rose may attempt to censure demons once per day for every two class levels he possesses.

Courage of Heaven (Su): A Gun of the Rose of 2nd level or higher is immune to fear effects cast or created by evil outsiders. At 5th level and higher, a Gun of the Rose is also immune to enchantment spells and effects cast or created by evil outsiders, including charms and suggestions.At 8th level and higher, these immunities extend to all allies
within 20 feet of the Gun of the Rose.

Rapid Reload (Ex):At 3rd, and 5th level, a Gun of the Rose gains a variant version of rapid reload. This only applies to revolvers. The reload time that was previously a full round action becomes a move action and a move action becomes a free action. This feat cannot be added to a weapon whose reload time is a free action. This feat may be used to reduce a full round reload to a free reload if taken twice for the same weapon.

Blinding Draw (Ex):At 10th level, a Gun of the Rose gains a +4 bonus on initiative checks. Furthermore, if they win initiative in a surprise round, they may make 2 full round actions (or 2 standard actions and 2 move actions) before anyone else gets a turn. This ability only works in the surprise round.

GuyFawkes
2012-01-27, 12:01 PM
This (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=224434&highlight=firearm) might come in handy. It's also a prestige class combining divine casting and gunslinging. You might pick up something, ie the execution, requirements, etc.

Egrimble
2012-01-27, 12:48 PM
It (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=224434&highlight=firearm) was interesting, but I feel that the reqs for my class are fine and that class didn't really have the style I was looking for. I'm not after a gun toting cleric, I'm trying to get a demon-hunting gunslinger. Divine spells just made most sense to me for extra flexibility. Depending on the special abilities I may just drop the Divine Spellcasting completely.

Yitzi
2012-01-27, 03:42 PM
Thanks for the criterion. I think I may add Knowledge (planar) +4

You know that that means a ranger 5 can't get it (at least not without level dipping cleric). For that matter, neither can a paladin 5.

Egrimble
2012-01-28, 06:07 PM
Just posted the first edit of the class, and took it in a different direction than the one I had originally envisioned but definitely one that I feel more satisfied with. PEACH!