PDA

View Full Version : Factotum / Archivist

Torvon
2012-01-26, 07:03 AM
Hey there.

I'm currently level 9, pure Factotum. We just reached level 10!
Fluffwise it would be a perfect point to go for Archivist, the class fits perfectly to the way I play my Factotum.

My DM is pretty strict, so I will probably have to acquire all my spells etc and not totally be able to cheese the hell out of the class.

My question: since I'm playing a ranged Factotum, WIS is my dumpstat (8). I thought Archivist is purely INT based, but the number of spells per day is still WIS based. That means I can cast ... 2 level 1 spells per day. Totally not worth it, right? And the saves for the spells will also totally suck. DC 12 or something :)

Any suggestions?
Thanks
T

gkathellar
2012-01-26, 07:13 AM
Yeah, any archivist levels you grabbed at this point would be pretty worthless.

Let me be the first to suggest going Chameleon instead, since it fits the Factotum perfectly.

Wings of Peace
2012-01-26, 07:30 AM
Yeah... I'm going to echo the "Don't do it" sentiment. Chameleon is a solid option or just go more Factotum. Going Archivist at this point though would just be wasting levels compared to your other options.

TroubleBrewing
2012-01-26, 08:16 AM
Miiiiiiiiinnnndddddddbbbbeeeennnnnnddddeeeeerrrrrr rr.....

Torvon
2012-01-26, 08:19 AM
Miiiiiiiiinnnndddddddbbbbeeeennnnnnddddeeeeerrrrrr rr.....

arcane caster lvl 5 ... takes ages to get there as factotum.

Kaje
2012-01-26, 08:25 AM
Caster level equal to factotum level.

Psyren
2012-01-26, 09:06 AM
And the saves for the spells will also totally suck. DC 12 or something :)

Archivist save DCs are calculated based on Int - I don't see how this number is possible, unless you're a Factotum/Archivist with 12 Int, in which case I humbly suggest a career change pronto.

Myth
2012-01-26, 09:10 AM
As a gestalt this combination would be considered Tier 1++. As a MC combination it is IMO closer to Tier 4-5 :smallconfused:

Go pure Factotum instead. Take Font of Insipration as many times as you can. Be sure to use Iaijutsu Focus and Autohypnosis and a Gnomish Quickrazor etc. Just google the Factotum handbook really.

Torvon
2012-01-26, 09:10 AM
Archivist save DCs are calculated based on Int - I don't see how this number is possible, unless you're a Factotum/Archivist with 12 Int, in which case I humbly suggest a career change pronto.
INT is 20. I thought the saves are also calculated by WIS, as the number of spells.

It doesn't matter, it would be a bad idea for me to go for Archivist. Maybe just a 1 level dip to give the whole party +3 on attacks, that's a pretty significant buff, and I hardly roll knowledge devotion checks below 40.

Torvon
2012-01-26, 09:13 AM
As a gestalt this combination would be considered Tier 1++. As a MC combination it is IMO closer to Tier 4-5 :smallconfused:

Go pure Factotum instead. Take Font of Insipration as many times as you can. Be sure to use Iaijutsu Focus and Autohypnosis and a Gnomish Quickrazor etc. Just google the Factotum handbook really.

I. Focus, Quickrazer and font are banned. I'm going archer route, have been playing the char for 4 levels and build it based on the handbook.
Just came back from half a year traveling without D&D and am thinking about the future progression. I don't like Chameleon that much, I'll stick with Factotum to 12 and then just see what happens.
I get lvl 4 spells at lvl10 now, greater invisibility ... wow.

Also, there's a spell for which you only have to hit a ranged touch attack (I have Dex18), and there is no save, and the enemy loses d4 levels. How OP is that ^^ ...

Chronos
2012-01-26, 03:57 PM
Enervation. Yeah, it's a good spell, but it does allow spell resistance, and there are a lot of ways to be immune to it, and as a Factotum you can't spam it the way a real spellcaster could.

Also, it's "gains 1d4 negative levels", which is not quite the same thing as "loses 1d4 levels".

Gavinfoxx
2012-01-26, 04:18 PM
You already qualify for mindbender, likely. Get it and Mindsight!

Also, there's a feat in a dragonlance book that makes an Archivist 100% int-based.

Torvon
2012-01-26, 11:08 PM
You already qualify for mindbender, likely. Get it and Mindsight!

Also, there's a feat in a dragonlance book that makes an Archivist 100% int-based.

Academic Priest. But it's a 1st level only feat.

Elboxo
2012-01-27, 03:34 AM
Ask your DM if they'd allow for Archivist to be Int dependant for spells/day and saves. Be prepared for a "No" since it is a bit convenient.

You could always play a wizard with knowledge devotion.