PDA

View Full Version : Feedback on a D&D campaign concept

raymundo
2012-01-26, 09:47 AM
Hello,

I just recently startet a P&P group with some friends, and after some sessions of Dark Heresy we decided to start an additional D&D3.5 group (the Dark Heresy GM is some three hundred kilometres away, having studies coming up). Being the only one who previously dealt with D&D - reading a lot of books and even more posts on various boards - I offered to gamemaster the sessions. Except from 3 sessions of Dark Heresy and some 2nd Ed D&D 6-7 years ago, nobody of us has any experience with P&P, but we are / used to be excessive players of offline-RPGs, online-RPGs, playing on actual "role playing" servers of various games, acting in amateur theatre groups, watching fantasy movies, reading fantasy books.

Anyway, having spent quite a few hours on this board, I had to noticed how engaged discussions about concepts and ideas often were.
So I just wanted to give it a try and ask for your feedback on my concept and advice for my first time as a Gamemaster.

I am quite sure they will search the web before creating their characters, but as I will politely ask for every web source they use - and will research their concepts myself, too - I guess I can prevent too rampant munchkinisms. I'd like them to start rather low-power and shape the world accordingly, that is why I beefed the Healer up to make him slightly more competitive with a cleric.

(House-)Rules:
- Fate Points (just like in Dark Heresy.. I think it is a fun mechanic and hopefully prevents TPKs in the first session if I mess up the encounters)
Spend to.. reroll anything; gain a +5 bonus on a skill check; reduce fear-"level" by one (frightened->shaken,..)
Burn to.. player stabilizes with -9 HP if his HP reached -10 or less; ignore a failed will / fort / reflex save; next attack action gains +20, crit-range is doubled
Spent fate points recover in the next session, burned fate points are lost forever.

- Start at level 1, Point-buy 32, NPCs with class levels get standart elite array

- No multi-classing penalty, no maximum amount of different classes

- Adjustments of the Healer class (Miniature Handbook)
Casts like a Warmage (may spontaneously cast any spell on her spell list)
Sanctified spells from Book of Exalted Deeds
Gains a domain I deem as appropriate
Every level she gains a new spell level, she may choose a fitting spell of a spell level up to the new spell level she gained
Fort saves progression reduced to low

- Everything from every source they are able to show me is allowed, if deemed thematically fitting and balanced

The World

Gaming takes place on a world with 7 great island nations, specifically on one I called Dhuul. Except for another one called Udur, which was connected to it in two wars that shaped Dhuul to what it is today, no other island nation was shaped out yet.

The main themes of my game are necromancy, undead, the right to "life" of undead folks, dominance over weaker minded creatures and pretty much a great conflict between followers of a "good" pantheon (in the south of Dhuul) favoring the living and an "evil" pantheon (in the north), which at least accepts the undead.

Rather extensive background:
Ancient Dhuul society was ruled by a council of necromancers and openly researching necromancy. In this time many items and spells controlling, animating and bolstering the undead were created. Sentient undead were equal to the living, alternative means of sustaining those undead who needed nurishment were utilized. Undead without will were used as slave labour for everybodies benefit, those were mainly recruited from criminals on death row. The bodies of the dead belonged rightfully to their closest family members (spouse, mother, father,..) or to a specified 'heir'. If no one claimed the body, it was the property of the ruling council. Some ability in the necromantic arts were needed for the most efficient foremen. Corpsecrafting was a widely accepted art (organized in a widespread guild). The body was seen as merely a vessel of the soul, resurrection spells were widely seen as an aberration. Becoming a Necropolitan was pretty much like becoming a noble, as only a few organizations had the abilities for the ritual. Necromancers reaching lichdom were revered as they were feared. The society pretty much worked because powerful necromancer guilds held themselves and the undead in check (have to run some numbers here, to get a rough guideline who can command whom).

Due to this Dhuuls numbers raised pretty quick. When they started building an army of undead with Necromancers as officers, the first war broke out. The fighting took place exlusively on Dhuul. Udur, being strongly influenced by a mighty order of Pelor, was the first to declare war and was openly supported by the majority of nations. Dhuul was defeated in some years, necromancy abolished, the undead laid to rest and necromancers burned. The order of Pelor established a twenty-year presence on Dhuul to assert the prohibition. The ruling council was replaced by a noble house and a hereditary monarchy was installed (the common form of government of the island nations)

Many years later, the ruling house of Dhuul was accused of dealing with the dark arts, the order of Pelor reinstated their patrols on Dhuulish ground, animosities were rising. An event, known as the "Blight of Evergreen" resulted in the end of the orders' presence and the founding of an order called "The Penance" (non-violent, neutral healers and wise-men with various Vows from the Book of Exalted deeds). During the Blight of Evergreen a locally known and respected man who was a teacher to Evergreen's youngest ended up creating a wight. He used the wight to turn the children into wights and after sending them home..
Roberta, knight of Pelor and leader of the order's delegation at the time of the Blight, received a vision of these events one day earlier. Forcing them to exert themselves, they marched to Evergreen, reaching it while the undead were rampaging. Sparing no one, they killed every citizen of Evergreen (I pretty much assume a lot of them falling due to these events). Realizing what she did, she left the order, founding "The Penance".

In the wake of these events, the king of Dhuul had the man responsible found and executed, along with 13 alleged accomplices, who were accused of dabbling in the necromantic arts as well. Their trials were non-public and their tongues cut out before execution, those close to them claimed to never have noticed anything odd.

Some years later, Sigismund is born on Udur, son of the king, but not of the queen-mother. Due to this, and as the king had three other children, the king shamefully disembowels himself in public and his eldest child takes his place. Sigismund is pretty much forsaken, until he is adopted and raised by a Pelor templer. Having both his fathers fighting ability and his mothers charisma, he rapidly gains rank and followers in the order. Doubting the official version of the events of the Blight, he investigates. Many of the relatives of those alleged necromancers who were executed lose their lives, most under very dubious circumstances, further fueling his suspicion. One of Sigismunds more zealous followers breaks the tabu of speaking with the dead and begins to exhume and interrogate the dead themselves. After finally finding the truth, Dhuuls secret police "The pale night" attacks him. Barely alive and poisened, a word of recall allows him to report his findings before succumbing his wounds. To Sigismunds horror, those executed weren't necromancers at all, they were nothing but pawns, sacrificed to protect the real necromancers who may still act undisturbed on Dhuul.

This leads (after some more exposition) to the second war, also called "The Crusade". Charismatic Sigismund rallies his followers, mobilizing the whole of the order of Pelor on Udur and many more on the other island nations. Supported by Udurs nobility, they swiftly conquer the most of the land. When a group of necromancers overpowered the defences of the royal fortress of Udur, killing large parts of the nobility and the royal guard with a task force of Allips, Udur itself saw the horrors of war for the first time in hundreds of years. Not much later, official support of The Crusade waned. The war soon comes to a standstill, Dhuulish forces - now again openly using undead - regain some ground and the borders of today are formed.
The north of Dhuul once again is ruled by a council of necromancers, and the laws and traditions of ancient Dhuul soon are reinstated. The south becomes the new home of the order of Pelor, completly moving from their old homeland of Udur. Both sides reinforce their positions and a good share of cross-immigration takes place.
Many former soldiers of the Crusade are raised to unlife to rebuild the very fortresses and cities they tore down. The irony isn't lost on the ruling council, and those skeletons and zombies raised from former crusaders are formed into a beneficial building force, "The Crusade's Gift", wearing replikas of their uniforms up to this day.
Taking the blame for the crusade's failure upon himself, Sigismund has himself sealed into a glass sarcophagus in the souths throne room. His suffocated body is preserved by divine magic and the "Staff of Sigismund" is created. This artifact is said to call Sigismund from his place at Pelor's side, when it shatters the sarcophagus. He will then lead the crusade once again, this time purging Dhuul from the undead for all time (endgame material). His son is made king of southern Dhuul, but fails to inspire his people the way his father did. Preparations for and faith in the crusade wanes over the years, as less-then-faithful Parius is more interested in rebuilding, than in conquering. He is an intelligent ruler, but unable to reach his followers' hearts.
His son, giving himself the name Sigismund II in honor of his grandfather, marks a new era in the crusade. He is everything his father was and more, being a brilliant fighter and speaker, but also having his father's intelligence.

Once again people from everywhere come to support the crusade. But the rumors of war attract not only the faithful, but also the adventurous..

I intend to give my players the freedom to join one of these sides, as the first adventures I've pinned out so far are easily adjusted for either side. In fact, I want to give them as much freedom as humanly possible, making Dhuul one giant sand box. I'll prepare a bunch of hamlets, bigger villages and cities for both sides, as soon as I'm trough with the various books dealing with it. The broad goal is to unite the nation. This can be done by conquering one faction, both factions or by anything else.

The first sessions, after they reached either side of the country, I want them to roam the countryside as one band of mercenaries like many other. War and tensions between the north and the south made it possibly for various monster tribes to bolster their numbers and influence, so someone has to do something about it. Depending on the side, they can either kill and burn them, kill them and sell their bodies or raise them themselves or negogiate treaties. Or just leave them alone.
Various sealed caves, remnants of ancient Dhuul society, can be found scattered on the island. These make ideal dungeon crawls.. and homebases. Depending on how they interact with the people, they will give them further advice or something akin to repeatable quests.
Example: Altars of Nerull give bonuses to creating undead, the order of Pelor wants these altars destroyed. Every altar has a richly inscribed sphere in his centre, which focuses the negative energy to create more powerful undead. Finding and destroying these altars, returning the sphere to the order for safekeeping will gain them exp, a reward and weaken the forces of Dhuul on a grander scale. Finding spheres in a Pelor safehouse or in one of the sealed dungeons and returning it to a necromancer will also have a reward and strengthen the undead forces. To prevent my "repeatable" quests from becoming too repetitive, I'll try to embed them as side or bonus quests.

This is the broad picture and some of my ideas. I'd be very grateful for comments, ideas and especially criticism. Keep in mind, this is our first game of D&D3.5.

Thanks in advance!

Yora
2012-01-26, 09:54 AM
For the first one or two sessions, I'd stay away from any puzzles, big descisions, and important meeting with NPCs, and just let everyone getting used to the rules. You should actually get a fair number of short and easy encounters, so they get the hang out of how combat works. This seems a better approach than just having two encounters per session and every time they have to learn the basics again, because they've forgotten most of the things.

raymundo
2012-01-26, 12:06 PM
Sounds like a sensitive thing to do. Thank you. I'll probably make a bunch of weak encounters, utilizing a lot of different combat actions, just to show them they exist.. They tend to forget their actions.

Godskook
2012-01-26, 04:22 PM
1.D&D is not well setup for the undead to be highly ambiguous, and the concept itself has a tendency to be more evil than not. You'll not only have to thread some very interesting lines roleplay-wise to achieve the ambiguous nature you're shooting for, but you'll also have to adjust the ruleset to account for this ambiguous nature with classes and spells(Why can only [Evil] clerics rebuke/command undead if [Good] clerics can work with them just as easily?). Suggested reading includes elven material from Eberron, the Ghostwalk supplement, and the webcomic Dominic Deegan(where necromancy's given a good side, so to speak).

2.There's a few kinds of undead in D&D:
-mindless
-reanimated
--self-willed(Liches and some vampires)
--enslaved(Vampires)
-'awakened'
--self-willed(Ghouls)
--enslaved(Wights)

Just cause a society accepts certain varieties does not mean it would accept others. For instance, a Lich is rather easy to accept since it does not actively offend anyone else. By comparison, a mindless undead is a bit harder to accept, but with proper preparation(such as buying a dying man's body or a form of capital punishment) it can be made tolerable. Finally, something like a wight is among the hardest to accept, as they're actively creating and enslaving sentience.

3.My advice for first time DMing is to start at level 3 with all 3 HD maxed. Players will be unusually durable, but not so much that you won't adjust over time. Its also a smoother power level than level 1, where wizards often shoot their crossbows more than they cast spells, rogues can't have weapon finesse, and other annoying peculiarities.