PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Help a DM out with an emergency level 1 Underdark session!

Rossebay
2012-01-26, 04:36 PM
So, I'm really pressed for time. I've got a test over 6 chapters in my AP Biology class tomorrow, and I've agreed to DM a game after school. So, while my time is free and clear tomorrow, such is not the case today.

We're starting an E6 campaign, and there will be 4 players. I'd like it to start in the underdark. I'm doing this because our usual DM requested that he be able to play as one of Gnorman's classes, and I feel that I owe him a short campaign so he can relax. We're using Gnorman's E6 classes (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=215986) for this game, and so far we have Bruiser (brawler archetype), a Sentinel or Rogue of some sort, a Wisdom-based Skillful class of some sort, and a Pyromancer.

I normal D&D terms, we've got a Dwarf Monk, a Human Rogue, a Human Divine Bard, and an Elf Duskblade, all balanced out between each other.

What I need from you guys, if you'd be so kind:
1.) A reason they'd be in the underdark at such a low level.
2.) A set of 2 or 3 encounters that could keep things interesting as they try to leave, and...
3.) A setting, a general idea. Some semblance of a world that the players can get a feel for after they leave.

Some things I don't want: A tavern, waking up as prisoners, or "you're on the road to the nearest town...", haha.

This is my first time actually DMing anything of real value, so I need all the help I can get. Usually, I'd be doing this on my own, but I've got a major time crunch.

Thanks in advance!

hydraa
2012-01-26, 04:58 PM
They are setting off on a journey to the center of the earth, however the underdark got in the way

Namfuak
2012-01-26, 04:59 PM
What if they were originally the quartermaster/supply-keepers of a large expedition to the Underdark, but their employers met a terrible fate and they were able to get away. Now they are trying to get out.

Otomodachi
2012-01-26, 05:01 PM
Begin as indentured servants to a group of Svirfneblin, for some reason? Perhaps due to family debt, committing some crime, I'm sure there's other reasons. A group of Svirfs had to go to the surface, probably to trade, and ended up acquiring the PCs services. I recommend the Svirf because I feel like they're under-used, are one of the less hostile/antagonistic groups in the Underdark, and cuz I like the word.

Rossebay
2012-01-26, 05:03 PM
Alright, those'll work for reasons and have definitely given me some inspiration, but... What of mechanics? I need a couple of CR 1 encounters thrown at me so I have some ideas for tomorrow. D:

Otomodachi
2012-01-26, 05:11 PM
Well, Grimlocks (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/grimlock.htm) for starters. Make your PCs hate the darkness. An occasional level 3 caster (shamanic clerics seem most appropriate to send against level 1 PCs) means 'Darkness' spells, which means the Svirfs have a reason to send some adventurer-servants in instead of just going in with their darkvision and handling it.

Or goblins, if you want to throw the dwarf a bone; or kobolds, if you want to play up anti-gnome enmity. But honestly I'd recommend grimlocks, I don't think they get that much play.

Also, there's another good monster, gibberling I believe the name is- I believe it is in the MM1, but not the SRD as it is an IP? Pretty underdark-y, more horde-y than the Grimlocks (lower CR I believe) and not to be confused with the gibbering mouther.

EDIT: Ugh, monsters of Faerun, apparently, according the a monster finder I found. Good luck with that one. :P

TheDon
2012-01-26, 05:17 PM
"The realisation that running from <bad thing> inside the cavern was not the great idea you thought it was is slowly sinking in. As the cavern twists and winds, deeper and deeper, you've lost count of how many time the tunnel has branched off. You are lost. You stop to try and get your bearings but you hear <cry/yell/screech/roar> behind you, with all that running you still haven't lost <it/them>. Make an endurance check."

or some such. Monster being first encounter, they can either trying to lose it, if they have succeed the endurance check, or fight it. Really it can be anything that's a little bit challenging for level 1. After that, well they need to figure out how to get out. I doubt any of them have survival so you could easily make them stay down there, keep things interesting, keep an atmosphere of "you have no clue what's arround the corner". I'm away from my books and off the top of my head I have no clue what lives down there that could be challenge appropriate, but the players need to figure out a way to get back out or they might be stuck there forever with a dwindling supply or food and water...

This is just something off the top of my head

Rossebay
2012-01-26, 07:13 PM
Well, Grimlocks (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/grimlock.htm) for starters. Make your PCs hate the darkness. An occasional level 3 caster (shamanic clerics seem most appropriate to send against level 1 PCs) means 'Darkness' spells, which means the Svirfs have a reason to send some adventurer-servants in instead of just going in with their darkvision and handling it.

Or goblins, if you want to throw the dwarf a bone; or kobolds, if you want to play up anti-gnome enmity. But honestly I'd recommend grimlocks, I don't think they get that much play.

Also, there's another good monster, gibberling I believe the name is- I believe it is in the MM1, but not the SRD as it is an IP? Pretty underdark-y, more horde-y than the Grimlocks (lower CR I believe) and not to be confused with the gibbering mouther.

EDIT: Ugh, monsters of Faerun, apparently, according the a monster finder I found. Good luck with that one. :P

Ooooh, definitely Grimlocks. Always liked 'em.

And I think I'm going to have them start off in a pit, fighting as slaves of the Drow.

At least, the Dwarf is.

Edit: Swordsage'd.

Yeah, they'll start out being chased by a Grimlock.

Edit 2: I could still use some help, anyway. What sort of Drow encounters could I possibly put a level 1 party in if they're escaping from slavers? Are Drow too powerful for our young lot?
I'd rather not TPK, haha.

Eldest
2012-01-26, 07:26 PM
Maybe have them fight a Drow Fighter 1/2, using the DMG statblock for a really low level Fighter. I'm not sure if that would actually be too powerful or not.

Rossebay
2012-01-26, 07:35 PM
Maybe have them fight a Drow Fighter 1/2, using the DMG statblock for a really low level Fighter. I'm not sure if that would actually be too powerful or not.

Realistically, though, a low-level party fleeing from the Underdark, noticed by only a single level 1 Fighter? That feels a bit low...

I'm thinking a Warblade, maybe...

Hopefully, they devise a strong plan for their escape.

SpaceBadger
2012-01-26, 07:39 PM
They are trying to get from Point A to Point B on the surface, but a war or something has gotten in the way of the direct route, so they have to go into the underdark and somehow get past the problem area and then back up to the surface. Of course, side quests may pop up along the way as they travel underground.

The Glyphstone
2012-01-26, 07:42 PM
They thought the old man in the tavern was crazy, ranting about sinkholes in the plain that swallowed people up. How were they to know that he wasn't crazy, and that they had accidentally pitched their tent directly on top of one?

Otomodachi
2012-01-26, 10:33 PM
TheDon that was awesome.

Personally, my preference would be to hold off on the drow until the party gets to 3 or so, maybe? I mean levels 1-2 3-4 5-6 are basically a three act play depending on how far into it you want to go... if you start this campaign as a DM fatigue device that gives you a clear place to go back to it, or you can still plow through it either way.

Drow are for big boys though, in my book. :P

Rossebay
2012-01-26, 11:09 PM
"The realisation that running from <bad thing> inside the cavern was not the great idea you thought it was is slowly sinking in. As the cavern twists and winds, deeper and deeper, you've lost count of how many time the tunnel has branched off. You are lost. You stop to try and get your bearings but you hear <cry/yell/screech/roar> behind you, with all that running you still haven't lost <it/them>. Make an endurance check."

or some such. Monster being first encounter, they can either trying to lose it, if they have succeed the endurance check, or fight it. Really it can be anything that's a little bit challenging for level 1. After that, well they need to figure out how to get out. I doubt any of them have survival so you could easily make them stay down there, keep things interesting, keep an atmosphere of "you have no clue what's arround the corner". I'm away from my books and off the top of my head I have no clue what lives down there that could be challenge appropriate, but the players need to figure out a way to get back out or they might be stuck there forever with a dwindling supply or food and water...

This is just something off the top of my head

This is going to be a huge part of tomorrow. I can't thank you enough for this. I was able to branch out all of my ideas from you saying this.

Well, this, and Otomodachi's Grimlock idea.